3D printed road vehicles

grahame

10 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

Yes, across the front panels. This brochure picture probably shows it best. As so often 'flat' panels are actually large radius. The faceting only applies to the area below the windscreen. Both the windscreen and the front edge of the roof are a gentle curve. The best picture I've found for that is this one, the green cab tilted forward.

Thank you, I'll send some notes to the designer this evening, that is hard to see. I thought it was flat.

6 hours ago, Tricky-CRS said:

This weeks line up of test prints

The Ford Cargo need a few mods

The 1948-1954 Commer Superpoise I have not spotted anything yet.

TestPrint-20-06-2021-02.jpg

TestPrint-20-06-2021-06.jpg

TestPrint-20-06-2021-07.jpg

TestPrint-20-06-2021-09.jpg

Hi Richard,

A nice range growing there. A couple of Cargo variations that may be worth looking into if you're wanting more. (Pics linked from Flickr)

A tractor unit, perhaps with the deeper bumper often seen on them?

Royal Mail 1993

Ford Cargo Tractor UK

And a 7.5 tonner with the smaller wheels, dead common in delivery fleets such as Royal Mail, and hire fleets too, as well as people like BT. Common with box bodies, dropside variants seemed to be used for road works, garden contractors etc.

1986/87 Royal Mail Ford Cargo - Lewisham 26/05/1990

BRITISH TELECOM FORD CARGO D896MBA

J24CGC Ford Cargo Tipper Jempsons

Hope that's of interest

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Hi Richard,

A nice range growing there. A couple of Cargo variations that may be worth looking into if you're wanting more. (Pics linked from Flickr)

A tractor unit, perhaps with the deeper bumper often seen on them?

Royal Mail 1993

Ford Cargo Tractor UK

And a 7.5 tonner with the smaller wheels, dead common in delivery fleets such as Royal Mail, and hire fleets too, as well as people like BT. Common with box bodies, dropside variants seemed to be used for road works, garden contractors etc.

1986/87 Royal Mail Ford Cargo - Lewisham 26/05/1990 85 667 0005 D896 KNA J24CGC Ford Cargo Tipper Jempsons

Hope that's of interest

Jo

Excellent pics, I'll add them to the futures list the current list is fixed now. If this project is a success I want to return to some of the models and do more versions and the Ford Cargo is high on that list as I have found lots of great ideas. At the moment I have a limited budget so need to limit the varieties and move on to cover other eras.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Tricky-CRS

Totally understandable approach, and for its era, the Ford Cargo is a fantastic choice!

The most obscure one I've ever seen is as the base of a road-rail tamper!

For the 90s / early 2000s, the IVECO EuroCargo may be a useful future model, as it was effectively the mk2 version and could share a number of bodies and chassis that you already have designed.

Jo

• Like 2

Hi Richard ,very interesting you have been busy this week,as Jo said there is a lot of potential in the Ford Cargo era pf vehicles.

Didnt Dornaplus do a Ford Cargo in their plastic kits ,as  well as the Thorneycroft  1920/30s lorries. I like the added version of your Commer range . Regards Ray.

Oddly the Dornaplus Ford Cargo is 1:160 scale. As it comes in parts although the front is moulded flat it is possible to reshape it during assembly. The roof is too long fore and aft though as there are effectively two front edges, one moulded on the leading edge of the doors (which I removed) and one each side of the front screen. After assembly I filed in the slight taper towards the top edge. It was after doing this and thinking it looked a bit small that I measured it and dicovered it wasn't British N.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Trewisin said:

Didnt Dornaplus do a Ford Cargo in their plastic kits ,as  well as the Thorneycroft  1920/30s lorries. 

Yep, well they called it a Ford Cargo and, as Bernard has mentioned, was the wrong scale. Axel's Bazar currently do a 1:148 scale 3D printed Ford Cargo box van available from Shapeways: 

https://www.shapeways.com/product/THP8QCYWH/ford-cargo-box-truck-1981-1-148?optionId=196481166&li=marketplace which is a lot better. Here's my two (one with a scratch built open back body as a scaffold truck):

DSC_0502red.jpg.be70f5194045b29cdec43e2dd8c32ca0.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

I've finally got around to getting some colour and grubbiness on the Osborn's road sweeper/gulley cleaner TK truck. Still needs glazing, number plates, etc., (and perhaps a wash):

DSC01978red.jpg.4528484397bbe17ba6960fd099f16f78.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

Hi. Grahame I like your road sweeper it looks realy smart. I was in WH smiths at lunch time and picked up a Magazine on Vehicles

I cant remember the title but it had a picture on the front of it of a Sulters Heavy Scammell Truck. There was a very good article inside  on Bedford TK's.

Just for fun try this one it came on my google news page today.  https;//www.bbc/com/news/entertainment-arts-57513965.amp.

I wonder homuch Petrol this tanker holds? also there is a special edition of a Transit van how about medelling this in N scale

your thoughts Regards Ray.

Edited by Trewisin
correction for coneection to bbc web

. . . and now some colour on the Osborn's 3D printed Bedford TK tipper . . . . although it need the tyres painting, glazing, number plates, etc., . . . and one thing that is missing from the models - the turn indicator lights that stick out from the sides like little ears.

DSC01990red.jpg.e6c128d40b0e4b0e47c93a95f242f26c.jpg

Edited by grahame
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

7 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

The original 'Jupiter' anyone?

i267203.jpg

That's obviously styled on a TK and it's got a flat windscreen . . . . . so maybe, possibly, perhaps,  

On 20/06/2021 at 18:32, BernardTPM said:

Yes, across the front panels. This brochure picture probably shows it best. As so often 'flat' panels are actually large radius. The faceting only applies to the area below the windscreen. Both the windscreen and the front edge of the roof are a gentle curve. The best picture I've found for that is this one, the green cab tilted forward.

This is has taken alot of attempts to get to this point, really struggling to explain this to the designer. I think this looks okay, but what is your thoughts, not printed it yet.

screenShot_Ford_Cargo_Tipper_body_V5.png

• Agree 1

That's pretty close, though I'm not convinced the 'curved facets*' are there, but the general curve is probably close enough, so that would be a reasonable compomise. The front bumper should match the shape though and there shouldn't be that peak over the front of the roof. The roof also has recessed ribs in the pattern shown here (flashing lights not standard, of course!) Note the straight join line between the curved front section (I assume pressed with the front windscreen surround in real life) and the main cab roof. There are also air-deflectors (similar purpose to those on HST roofs) on each leading corner, outboard of the headlight/grille area, the idea being to create a barrier layer of air so that road dirt can't reach the wing mirrors above them. Said wing mirrors are attached to the doors so where they are shown is OK.

* this can be a hard thing to explain, but the most obvious example would be a 50p coin where each of the 'sides' isn't flat, yet meets the next one at an angle.

1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

That's pretty close, though I'm not convinced the 'curved facets*' are there, but the general curve is probably close enough, so that would be a reasonable compomise. The front bumper should match the shape though and there shouldn't be that peak over the front of the roof. The roof also has recessed ribs in the pattern shown here (flashing lights not standard, of course!) Note the straight join line between the curved front section (I assume pressed with the front windscreen surround in real life) and the main cab roof. There are also air-deflectors (similar purpose to those on HST roofs) on each leading corner, outboard of the headlight/grille area, the idea being to create a barrier layer of air so that road dirt can't reach the wing mirrors above them. Said wing mirrors are attached to the doors so where they are shown is OK.

* this can be a hard thing to explain, but the most obvious example would be a 50p coin where each of the 'sides' isn't flat, yet meets the next one at an angle.

I have sent it back with my thoughts, yours (quoted) and my interpretation of yours, the light on top is because this is the tipper cab, but once this is right it will be the base for the rest.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1