Channel 4 model railway challenge

Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

Don't know why they cut all them triangles out of the bridge sides, would have been stronger as a tubular bridge.

Maybe too heavy to handle. I’d have had side walls too to prevent it dropping in water if it does derail

• RMweb Gold

I stand by my comments, this is how I saw the show and I think I am entitled to my opinion (or is this Forum going to cement its past reputation of supressing such dissention).  Yes I did post the same observations on multiple forums and RMweb is the only one where my comments have been met with outright hostility, so you are probably correct in your observations,  There is however an old saying - "to see yourself as other see us"

Jim

If you call people a "bunch of prats", it's not surprising you get a hostile reaction.

In football parlance, play the ball and not the man.

Mark

So far - predictably cringe worthy, bunch of prats claiming their 15 mins of fame. Not even using real model track

It's a bit like the apprentice with even more annoying individuals

Jim

I spent the last hour watching it and I think there's only one person acting like a prat here...

I really enjoyed it, a great way of trying to introduce model railways to more people. I look forward to next week. Well done guys!

Edited by GWR8700
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Maybe too heavy to handle. I’d have had side walls too to prevent it dropping in water if it does derail

No need for side walls - no way the loco would fit through the holes.

I thought part 1 was well made. Even Mrs NB who has only the slightest interest in trains - full size or model - liked the programme.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

So far  - predictably cringe worthy, bunch of prats claiming their 15 mins of fame.  Not even using real model track

Jim

Hi everyone,

Just watched this, after my sister pointed the programme out to me.  Jim, I have to disagree with you - Sir Alan and co are far more irritating!  The programme led to my wife (not a modeller or rail enthusiast) asking lots of questions about railways and engineering - I would regard this as a plus.

Although I disagree with Jim, I would uphold his right and freedom to disagree with my comments too!  Honesty and right to free expression make this forum a force for good.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1

I watched the first episode and was quite intrigued. I’m not a tremendous fan of Dick The Tash’s presenting style, TBH I thought the programme production values generally lacked “polish” but it did all look rather fun, for a given value of “fun”..

The larger scale, prefabricated track and self-propelled locomotive all seemed like sensible choices. The RAMS (Risk Assessment and Method Statement) seemed a bit deficient, if the “teasers” for the truss bridge and the ferry are any guide...

I’ll certainly be following this next week... the David Attenborough one is on iplayer, so I’ll watch that later..

• Like 1

Don't know why they cut all them triangles out of the bridge sides, would have been stronger as a tubular bridge.

As the muggins that had to cut the triangles out, it was for lightness. Additionally, we didn’t have enough wood for a tubular bridge sadly, that was one of our initial ideas. For the sake of the tv show they also wanted to be able to see the loco crossing the canal, rather than popping into a tube one end, and out the other!! originally the truss was designed to be the other way up, but this was it was stronger. We didn’t have enough material for the cross members which would have made that way up viable.

• Like 4

I watched David Attenborough during the adverts. It was a pity that programmes about my two interests of model railways and prehistoric animals clashed after little of interest for me for the last two weeks on television.

Yoi could have watched the Little Railway on Channel 4 + 1 if you dont have a recording facility or catch up TV

Yoi could have watched the Little Railway on Channel 4 + 1 if you dont have a recording facility or catch up TV

Given the sheer quantity and frequency of repeats, there’s no real reason to miss anything you want to see, given only that you can hack a path through the endless soap operas and 80s sitcoms which have such a hypnotic attraction for my good wife...

So far  - predictably cringe worthy, bunch of prats claiming their 15 mins of fame.  Not even using real model track

Jim

Funnily enough, with one or two exceptions, I found it remarkably free of cringeworthyness and it was a far better and more enjoyable programme than I'd feared and far better than the James May Tarka trail programmes of which it wasn't a clone.

Congatulations to all those here who took part. I know that Jenny Emily and Payne Train did but I gather there were others as well.

I did have one or two niggles. I don't like it when presenters are given authorship of the work of others; I could be wrong but I rather doubt whether Dick Strawbridge personally surveyed the route or chose the gauge and the motive power and "we" would have been more honest than "I" . Also, it wasn't a line that the Victorians couldn't build; had there been enough people and goods needing to get between Fort William and  Inverness they clearly would have built it (and Dr. Beeching would have closed it) 

Those reservations apart I thought the programme had a good mixture of challenges that were put far more into their real world context than most do. It was good to have a more rounded picture of Thomas Bouch's engineering career and an explanation of the lattice truss girder.

Best of all I think the programmes will help understanding of both railway modelling and, more importantly, of engineering. We need to attract more young people and especially young women into engineering but I've long suspected that the national prejudices that leave our particularly well rounded hobby* regarded as "geeky" (in a way that it isn't seen as elsewhere) are also still suffered by engineering.  

* What other hobby involves individual participants in quite such a combination of art, science, history and technology?

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 10

I recorded the programme and watched the first half until my daughter woke up. I will catch up on the rest of the programme tomorrow. I had received several fliers for volunteering whilst at shows early last year. I would have loved to have been involved but teaching commitments got in the way. Having spent my honeymoon in Fort William and Inverness the programme is already bringing back happy memories. I have enjoyed it so far and have spotted a few familiar faces. Looking forward to the rest of it.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

On the basis that some contributors to the show are members and regular contributors on here, that particular viewpoint is maybe not especially well thought out.

I stand by my comments, this is how I saw the show and I think I am entitled to my opinion (or is this Forum going to cement its past reputation of supressing such dissention).  Yes I did post the same observations on multiple forums and RMweb is the only one where my comments have been met with outright hostility, so you are probably correct in your observations,  There is however an old saying - "to see yourself as other see us"

I'm not convinced that anyone here is trying to suppress dissent - or deny you the right to hold an opinion which a number of people (me included) don't agree with.

As far as I can tell, the real problem is with attitude and choice of words. Decent people don't generally like being referred to as "prats" - especially when this description (and the mindset which might reasonably be assumed to be behind it) is clearly uncalled for.

I can safely assume that you weren't involved with this series - and that you would not be involved in any similar series that might happen in future. This is your decision - a decision which you were perfectly entitled to make - and, if truth be known, a decision which I'm glad you've made (for everyone's sake).

Just for the record, I also decided not to put my name forward for this series.

This had nothing to do with any of the people who were going to be involved - from what I can tell, a group of thoroughly decent, sensible, people. Somehow, I suspect that I would probably have liked - and got on with - every single one of these people.

This also had nothing to do with what was being done in the series. I'm sure I could have happily got fully involved - and really enjoyed doing so.

No - I realised that I would have found it extremely difficult to sleep under canvas - so it was better that I didn't waste everyone's time.

Saying that, I still wanted the whole exercise to work out - and I still hope that everyone who did get involved enjoyed their time (time which they gave freely, along with loads of physical effort).

If you call people a "bunch of prats", it's not surprising you get a hostile reaction.

In football parlance, play the ball and not the man.

Absolutely.

Of course what these programs are all about is showing the various different personalities and how they all meld together, or not. At least it’s better than “celebrities” eating bugs in the jungle.

Fair comment. Some people might also suggest that some of us might even have previously heard of at least some of the people who took part in the "model railway" series - people who gave their time and effort without being offered appearance fees. Of course, to quote Francis Urquhart: "I couldn't possibly comment."

Anyway, that's enough of the "pleasantries" - time to move on to something more positive, which involves moving trains. After all, all of us here are interested in model trains - aren't we?

Whatever the score, I'm looking forward to next week's exciting installment.

Huw.

• Like 1

I rather enjoyed watching the episode tonight , fairly well put together and spotted quite a few members the main one being Jenny and I even saw lee Edmondson ( for about 2 seconds) of lee's Locos who has a thread on here

I'm looking forward to next week.

Jamie

• Like 3

I really enjoyed it. I have only briefly visited that area and that was in January last year so seeing it again made both myself and my wife want to visit. As per my heading picture I have an old roundhouse loco I bought at an auction. Polished and sat in the conservatory! My wife asked why I did not have a track to run it on, it's all sounding promising for the engine

Looking forwards to next weeks episode.

B

• Like 5