Channel 4 model railway challenge

Nearholmer

Interesting choice of background, using the Tay Bridge, since my initial reaction was "That's hardly the best choice to demonstrate the advantages of a box girder bridge!"

At the risk of being torn to pieces by a pack of slavering civil engineers...

The Tay Bridge was not a box girder bridge.  This:

britube.jpg

however, was a box girder railway bridge.  It pre-dated Bouch's Tay Bridge by nearly 30 years, and it worked just fine for 120 years until some scallys managed to set it on fire.  (I remember hearing about the fire on the radio news, and being devastated that it had been destroyed by someone's reckless and criminal stupidity before I had had a chance to get to see it up close.)

• Like 2

Slightly :offtopic:

Typically fewer than half seems to be a general rule of thumb but "active in the pastime" may be difficult to define. 

Are Armchair Railway Modellers active... Mmmmm...

Then we have Armchair car enthusiasts, walkers(!), flyers, gardeners, this list is endless! 

Nice review, BTW, ejstubbs! :)

• Like 1

Whether people class this as a 'proper' model railway or not, one thing it does have is better/more realistic scenery than I've ever seen, anywhere (including Pendon); Real canals, swing bridges, locks, plus big mountains !

Pubs, though they were all 'ready to run'.../ RTP   :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

I can't quite get my head around "it would have been better in three programmes than six" or whatever numbers you wish to choose.

Once we've seen it all, surely only then, can that opinion be made?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I remember hearing about the fire on the radio news, and being devastated that it had been destroyed by someone's reckless and criminal stupidity before I had had a chance to get to see it up close.

I remember reading recently that the two lads who set fire to it, didn't actually intend arson, were they not using a naked flame to search for birds nests?

• RMweb Premium

I remember reading recently that the two lads who set fire to it, didn't actually intend arson, were they not using a naked flame to search for birds nests?

Indeed that it true, not helped by the fact that the structure had been modified in such a way it was a miracle that it hadn't caught fire before... Fire report here:http://www.2d53.co.uk/britanniabridge/Fire%20Report.htm  pictures here: http://www.2d53.co.uk/britanniabridge/Fire%20Report%20Pictures.htm

more info in dealing with the incident here: http://www.2d53.co.uk/britanniabridge/menu.htm

Don't forget that a small section of the original bridge does still exist on site.

Andy G

At the risk of being torn to pieces by a pack of slavering civil engineers...

The Tay Bridge was not a box girder bridge.  This:

britube.jpg

however, was a box girder railway bridge.  It pre-dated Bouch's Tay Bridge by nearly 30 years, and it worked just fine for 120 years until some scallys managed to set it on fire.  (I remember hearing about the fire on the radio news, and being devastated that it had been destroyed by someone's reckless and criminal stupidity before I had had a chance to get to see it up close.)

As I understand it, the Tay bridge was a badly designed and constructed truss girder concoction with the rails running on top of the trusses for most of the crossing and INSIDE  the trusses (the "High Girders") where it passed over the navigation channel.  It failed for so many reasons that its surprising it kept together until the storm that brought it down.

What I found interesting was that no mention was made that he was Sir Thomas Bouch and was knighted for services to engineering (ie building the Tay bridge). I don't think he had his K stripped from him when it failed, as he would have nowadays, though the project to cross the Firth of Forth using a similar bridge was stopped and we have the marvellous (over) engineered Forth Bridge that exists today because of him and the Tay bridge disaster!

At least William McGonnagall wasn't mentioned...

Indeed that it true, not helped by the fact that the structure had been modified in such a way it was a miracle that it hadn't caught fire before... Fire report here:http://www.2d53.co.uk/britanniabridge/Fire%20Report.htm  pictures here: http://www.2d53.co.uk/britanniabridge/Fire%20Report%20Pictures.htm

more info in dealing with the incident here: http://www.2d53.co.uk/britanniabridge/menu.htm

Don't forget that a small section of the original bridge does still exist on site.

Andy G

The still existing Conwy Railway Bridge is a smaller scale version of the Britannia Bridge and may have been constructed as proof of concept.

Wasn't the Britannia Bridge lined with wood? (not having followed your links!)

• RMweb Premium

The Conwy bridge is identical, and was used to practice the floating out of the girders.

The bridge wasn't lined with wood, but the join between girders and last pier had a wood board sleeve sheildy thing. This was covered in tarred hessian, and was sadly where the lit paper the boys used fell....

To think if it had been left to burn itself out, its possible the girders might still be in use, as a lot of the cast iron failed when it was cooled with water....

Andy G

What I found interesting was that no mention was made that he was Sir Thomas Bouch and was knighted for services to engineering (ie building the Tay bridge).

I'm pretty sure that was mentioned.  (But I've deleted the recording now, and I refuse to trawl back through it on 4OD to check!)

Edited by ejstubbs

• RMweb Premium

I can't quite get my head around "it would have been better in three programmes than six" or whatever numbers you wish to choose.

Once we've seen it all, surely only then, can that opinion be made?

Cheers,

Mick

Based on what was seen in the first programme, I felt that the producers were struggling and had over bloated it. Based on what I had seen in this first programme, and making an assumption (I know dangerous) I gave a figure for the total number of programmes that felt like it would have been reasonable. 

• Like 1

There's another five programs to come yet. :jester:

Four more.

For those interested, Claire Barratt and Lawrence Robbins will be on the BBC breakfast sofa tomorrow from 8:00am with the Silver Lady locomotive. Despite what the loco went through in Scotland, it apparently fired straight up yesterday without complaint as a testament to the fine engineering of the Roundhouse product.

• Like 10

To think if it had been left to burn itself out, its possible the girders might still be in use, as a lot of the cast iron failed when it was cooled with water....

The tubes themselves though were constructed from wrought iron, not cast. Edited by Coppercap

Four more.

For those interested, Claire Barratt and Lawrence Robbins will be on the BBC breakfast sofa tomorrow from 8:00am with the Silver Lady locomotive. Despite what the loco went through in Scotland, it apparently fired straight up yesterday without complaint as a testament to the fine engineering of the Roundhouse product.

And to think that someone earlier in this thread dismissed it as a "Toy train"!

• Like 1

For those interested, Claire Barratt and Lawrence Robbins will be on the BBC breakfast sofa tomorrow from 8:00am with the Silver Lady locomotive.

Is that "tomorrow" as in the morning after your post in the small hours of Friday, or really tomorrow ie Saturday?  I ask because I'm watching it on my computer now and haven't seen anything yet, so I was wondering whether I had the wrong day!

Edited by ejstubbs

It's all relative. I have a real Volvo 850 as my 'toy' car to play with. Volvo may disagree with its description by me as a toy, but to me it is.

Quite - my philosophy is that even the most detailed model locomotive is still a "toy" (though almost certainly not a child's plaything) - which is why, with more pressing issues in the world, I find it hard to justify purchasing RTR at current prices.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The tubes themselves though were constructed from wrought iron, not cast.

Indeed they were, but there were adjusting girders that were of cast iron, and then the joining plates (30foot long, 1inch think wrought iron) also failed due to this issue, and that's what caused the tubes to sag....

Andy G

Is that "tomorrow" as in the morning after your post in the small hours of Friday, or really tomorrow ie Saturday?  I ask because I'm watching it on my computer now and haven't seen anything yet, so I was wondering whether I had the wrong day!

Right now. My internal body clock only rolls over to the next day when I sleep.