Channel 4 model railway challenge

Nearholmer

At the moment g scale track is around £5 per foot.

G would be good as the stock is designed to run outside on fairly rough track and is expected to just run all day long in the sun or rain. O gauge stock may be able to cope with these conditions but wasn't designed for it.

Triang Big-Big, Hornby clockwork?

Either way solves the power supply problem though keeping rewinding the Hornby is probably easier than changing batteries in the Triang.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Are you taking part?

Hi Andy

There are at least two RMweb members taking part as far as l am aware. The filming starts on the 19th June and will run for two weeks with five teams working from Fort William towards Inverness

Bob C

Hi Andy

There are at least two RMweb members taking part as far as l am aware. The filming starts on the 19th June and will run for two weeks with five teams working from Fort William towards Inverness

Bob C

Thanks. I would love to have taken part, but sadly it falls during school term time.

It's not Bear Grills or a survival challenge, that's not the point. Teams will be "living like navies" in the sense that they will be under canvas and move with the project along the line. There's no suggestion you'll be foraging for food or killing wild haggises with weapons you've made yourselves.

According to Time Team, navvies lived in self-constructed turf huts on inhospitable moorland tops.

I suppose that if the participants get peckish they might go on a hunt for Nessie to supplement the haggis.  Evidently you snare haggis in a similar manner to rabbits.

Just caught up with this. As someone who lived by the end of Caley Canal for a number of years I am puzzled why no-one has mentioned:

The several steep flights of locks (not lochs) that will pose a gradient challenge;

That the Great Glen walking route crosses the canal at various places, several by swing bridges that operate frequently this time of year;

At other places it just stops;

Or is only just wide enough to walk along and in June the towrists will be getting in the way (did they realise that the world championship downhill mountain bike racing is on at the Nevis Range, Aonoch Mohr this weekend - thousands of mountain bike enthusiasts rocking up or down the A82 and local tracks?)

At Fort Augustus the piers of the former railway bridge are still sat in the canal bed and either side but it either needs a substantial temporary bridge installed or to go down the side of the flight of locks, cross the A82 road bridge and back up or for the production team just get real about the engineering problems.

Edited by Pint of Adnams

Just caught up with this. As someone who lived by the end of Caley Canal for a number of years I am puzzled why no-one has mentioned:

The several steep flights of locks (not lochs) that will pose a gradient challenge;

That the Great Glen walking route crosses the canal at various places, several by swing bridges that operate frequently this time of year;

At other places it just stops;

Or is only just wide enough to walk along and in June the towrists will be getting in the way (did they realise that the world championship downhill mountain bike racing is on at the Nevis Range, Aonoch Mohr this weekend - thousands of mountain bike enthusiasts rocking up or down the A82 and local tracks?)

At Fort Augustus the piers of the former railway bridge are still sat in the canal bed and either side but it either needs a substantial temporary bridge installed or to go down the side of the flight of locks, cross the A82 road bridge and back up or for the production team just get real about the engineering problems.

What's this weekend got to do with it when filming isn't taking place? Quite the positive outlook you seem to have. NOT!

What's this weekend got to do with it when filming isn't taking place? Quite the positive outlook you seem to have. NOT!

It's June isn't it? They hang around and make good use of the downhill racing tracks and other routes and mix it with the towrists that are even now rocking up in the great outdoors.

But then I'm first and foremost a civil engineer, first job was on BR as a trainee, so perhaps I have a better appreciation of the magnitude of the task as well as local knowledge of the obstacles - natural, man-made and social.

Apparently in yestrday's Dail Mail:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4566462/Model-train-track-weave-record-74-MILES.html

Dick Strawbridge to present - at least he knows what he's talking about even if he can't see it through his 'tash and an acknowledgement about the need for bridges. If it really is to end at Inverness Castle that will either be one hell of a ramp to be constructed or a ginormous spiral... https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/Inverness_Castle_and_River_Ness_Inverness_Scotland_-_conner395.jpg

Edited by Pint of Adnams
  • Like 1

Evening...

If the photo below, taken from the link depicts the track & stock they are planning to use in this show then the relevance & connection with railway modelling is at best tenuous. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4566462/Model-train-track-weave-record-74-MILES.html

post-19016-0-66949000-1496513569_thumb.png

The only way this show could really have any credibility within the hobby would be to include in each episode (ideally multiple) short pieces focusing on different & specific elements of the hobby (not just the RTR end of it), visits to clubs, well executed privet layouts, garden railways & the like around the country & possibly interviews or short 'how to' pieces with the creators. Also, explore the exhibition scene, show how incredible social hobby is. I don't see that this would detract from the shows primary goal of creating entertainment via the efforts of people who don't know each other rubbing along under less than ideal conditions undergoing an ambitious (putting it kindly) challenge.

Cheers

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Evening...

If the photo below, taken from the link depicts the track & stock they are planning to use in this show then the relevance & connection with railway modelling is at best tenuous

Cheers

Chris

Oh dear! I was expecting Peco bulkhead track. (not) :)

Shame about the track!

I shouldn't worry... you see track as smooth, shiny and daringly sleeperless beneath 'yer actual full size trains.

Anyway, the forum can sit back, relax and play a game of spot the RMWebber...

• Like 1

• Administrators

I hope that the RMWeb members who are involved with this project will update us throughout thr filming.

Unlikely. I understand NDAs have been signed. You will get the same information as contestants on Bake Off provided during filming - none at all.

If we knew how it went then there wouldn't BR any fun watching the programme would there?

Unlikely. I understand NDAs have been signed. You will get the same information as contestants on Bake Off provided during filming - none at all.

If we knew how it went then there wouldn't BR any fun watching the programme would there?

I was actually thinking more about their own experiences rather than the actual outcome. Congrats on the new editor's roles I look forward to seeing what you do with Garden Rail.

• Administrators

Evening...

If the photo below, taken from the link depicts the track & stock they are planning to use in this show then the relevance & connection with railway modelling is at best tenuous.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4566462/Model-train-track-weave-record-74-MILES.html

attachicon.gifIMG_0293.PNG

The only way this show could really have any credibility within the hobby would be to include in each episode (ideally multiple) short pieces focusing on different & specific elements of the hobby (not just the RTR end of it), visits to clubs, well executed privet layouts, garden railways & the like around the country & possibly interviews or short 'how to' pieces with the creators. Also, explore the exhibition scene, show how incredible social hobby is. I don't see that this would detract from the shows primary goal of creating entertainment via the efforts of people who don't know each other rubbing along under less than ideal conditions undergoing an ambitious (putting it kindly) challenge.

Cheers

Chris

Credibility within the hobby isn't the point. It's planned to be an entertaining TV show aimed at the public. We are not the main audience, there's not enough of us for start.

Nor are there likely to be lots of inserts about the hobby. With 5 45 minute (1 hour less adverts) shows and 70+ miles of track with numerous engineering challenges along the way, there won't be enough time.

Realistically, the production team have a track record making successful shows like this. If any of us had the same, we'd be doing it already, or at least pitching an alternative to broadcasters.

My prediction? Lots of people will watch the show. Many people on here will hate it and loudly denounce each episode. A train WILL cross the finishing line. Those who take part will have a memorable time. A week after the last show, we'll find something else to talk about.

Edited by Phil Parker

Credibility within the hobby isn't the point. It's planned to be an entertaining TV show aimed at the public. We are not the main audience, there's not enough of us for start.

Nor are there likely to be lots of inserts about the hobby. With 5 45 minute (1 hour less adverts) shows and 70+ miles of track with numerous engineering challenges along the way, there won't be enough time.

Realistically, the production team have a track record making successful shows like this. If any of us had the same, we'd be doing it already, or at least pitching an alternative to broadcasters.

My prediction? Lots of people will watch the show. Many people on here will hate it and loudly denounce each episode. A train WILL cross the finishing line. Those who take part will have a memorable time. A week after the last show, we'll find something else to talk about.

Evening Phil

The reality & likely hood of all you mention above is not wasted on me. It doesn't take a genius to see it for what it is/will be.

I suppose what has prompted me to air an opinion is the connection it's gained with Railway Modelling, I really can't see one.

It may as well be a Scalextric running the length of the M62. Maybe that'll be the second series.

Cheers

Chris

...there wouldn't BR any fun ...

It appears your predictive text has learned that you are a railway enthusiast!

My phone predictive text knows me too well too... no sooner have I entered 'gone' than it suggests 'to the pub' as the most likely phrase to follow.

• Like 4

It is starting to make James May's program look like an award winner. I'm starting to feel rather lucky my offer of help wasn't taken up, now. If they had aproched this in a away of solving the engineering problems rather than pink and fluffy tv it had potential.

I like gardening and growing fruit and veg. I watch gardeners world, Entertaining and educational, I watch Chelsea flower show for the same reason. I thought the great allotment challenge, another from this stable, would be interesting. As my wife now says stop having thoughts your always wrong. She was right. After less than 5 minuets I had lost the will to live. I feel this is the same but with a train.

The only winners in this case are the midges who get a fee lunch.

Is it the same production company as did The Great British Throwdown? If so I'm actually quite optimistic as, in spite of making a living (bwahaha!) out of pottery things I still found the series interesting and entertaining.