Scalefour North 2017

Flymo748

The Scalefour Society is very pleased to announce details of its first major exhibition of 2017. This year’s Scalefour North exhibition will be taking place on Saturday 1st April and Sunday 2nd April, from 10 am on each day.

Scalefour North provides a unique opportunity for like-minded model railway enthusiasts to meet, talk, exchange ideas or information, and generate new friendships or revive old ones. To encourage dialogue between visitors and exhibitors, we don’t place barriers in front of the layouts. Asking advice from the exhibitors is what the show is all about.

Over the years, many new and innovative ideas which have advanced the art of finescale modelling have emanated from the members of the Scalefour Society. Scalefour North provides the ideal showcase to present these developments.

The show is at the Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, 154 Northgate, Wakefield, WF1 3QX. The show enjoys plenty of space and an open atmosphere for visitors to move around in and enjoy the exhibits. The School is within easy walking distance of Wakefield city centre, and is only a few minutes away from the main bus depot although on-site car-parking is available for visitors that choose to drive. Full catering will be available at the venue.

Admission prices have been held unchanged at £7.00, and a discounted rate of £6.00 is available for Scalefour Society members. Tickets are valid for both days, enabling visitors to make the very most of their visit. Accompanying partners and children under 16 years of age are admitted free.

Details are on the Society’s website at www.scalefour.org/scalefournorth.

Watch this space for more information in coming days...

Cheers

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Marketing Manager

• Like 1

And it's a bit of a drive down for us too.

Lanarkshire Models will be there with loads of goodies to tempt you all.

Dave Franks.

I'm going to be poor by the end of Sunday now........................................................ Thanks Dave :O

Edited by mark axlecounter

Dave Franks.

Quite a trek for you, yes.

My comment was more related to my health and how long I can manage to drive.

I have a few items I need from you too, so can save some postage.

Edited by Kelly

The Bristol gang will be making their way up Saturday and overnighting, hopefully enjoying a curry and a few pints on Saturday night.

Perhaps we ought to form a Land Rover sub group?

post-7071-0-81715100-1487758117_thumb.jpg

Tim Venton's and my Land Rovers.

Both vehicles no longer have truck cabs.

Gordon A

Edited by Gordon A
  • Like 3

The Bristol gang will be making their way up Saturday and overnighting, hopefully enjoying a curry and a few pints on Saturday night.

Perhaps we ought to form a Land Rover sub group?

attachicon.gifP1050844 A.jpg

Tim Venton's and my Land Rovers.

Both vehicles no longer have truck cabs.

Gordon A

Hi Gordon, yes a good idea as it may annoy some to have it here. I've followed you and Tim's antics on the S2 club forum for a while.

Anyway we can talk about that at Wakefield.

A pity it's been brought forward by two weekends as it means I won't be able to go this year. No2 Grandson's birthday has priority.

Regards

Yes David, a few people I know have been caught out too.

Dave Franks.

Only a few?!  That's disappointing news for the Wakey licensed trade to hear.  They rely on the Brizzle contingent to bolster their yearly profits.

They don't make much out of me for the other 364 days........................

Dave Franks.

Excellent stuff!  Did I see a mention you are working on some GER buffer stops?  Those would definitely be on my shopping list.

Back to the show, and I'll aim to post the list of traders in a few days, after ensuring it is correct for last minutes additions or withdrawals.

Cheers

Paul Willis

Excellent stuff!  Did I see a mention you are working on some GER buffer stops?  Those would definitely be on my shopping list.

Back to the show, and I'll aim to post the list of traders in a few days, after ensuring it is correct for last minutes additions or withdrawals.

Cheers

Paul Willis

Will you also be posting the list of layouts present?

• RMweb Premium

We stay in the Premier Inn on the edge of the park.

That's Premier Inn Central.  I've stayed there, and at Premier Inn North.  Both are just about in walking (but not easy walking) distance of the venue.  Central is beautifully situated on the edge of a very nice park and adjoins a good restaurant, but they have functions there most weekends and it can get noisy.  North probably has better rooms and doesn't have functions, but it's on the very edge of the city and the adjoining Brewers Fayre restaurant is pretty awful.  Book early and you can get rooms in either for about £35, but I see that that price has now nearly doubled in both establishments.

DT

Don't stay at the Campanile- very noisy on Saturday nights. Better to stay at a B&B

I won't be going to this Scalefour North, but when I'm away I have learnt to always stay in a B&B not a hotel or a pub. Too often they have events that clash with my need to sleep!

I know that my preferred option of staying in Manchester and driving over won't appeal to everybody but there are thousands of B&B/Guest Houses in the Wakefield area, just do a internet search.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

I won't be going to this Scalefour North, but when I'm away I have learnt to always stay in a B&B not a hotel or a pub. Too often they have events that clash with my need to sleep!

The best way to avoid noise when staying in pubs is to be the last person at the bar!

• Like 1

Over the past four years I have noticed how much more quickly the decent places fill.  Even in October, when I booked, I have had to try somewhere new each year because last year's billet was either already full or stupidly expensive.

Chris

Will you also be posting the list of layouts present?

A good question. I imagine the list of layouts for this show, like most other prestigious shows, is agreed well in advance of the event, but the release of the list to non-S4 members always seems to be very late. I've no idea why. I take the view that making known the names of the layouts well in advance of the show would encourage as many non-members as possible to attend, boosting society funds and increasing the interest in the scale generally. But who am I to express, or even hold an opinion on such matters?

Expensive accommodation whenever a known event is on? No surprise, when the motto of the whole British tourist industry seems to be "We saw you coming". Compare with some of the amazing deals available for B & B abroad....