Scalefour North 2017

Flymo748

And the layouts :-)

At the heart of any exhibition are the layouts, and a superb variety have been selected for Scalefour North 2017.

CALCUTTA SIDINGS

Set in the period 1989–July 1991 between the demise of Class 45s and the delivery of Class 60s, which coincides with the last years of Speedlink operations. The layout itself is based around the Burton upon Trent area whilst the trains depicted assume that the service to the breweries lasted longer than it did in reality. All the traffic into the yard did exist on the British Rail system at the time. The trackwork is a mixture of Colin Craig flat bottom pointwork and track, Exactoscale concrete track bases along with C&L chairs, ply sleepers and rail and jigs from the EMGS stores.

CHEDDAR S&DJR

The Light Railways Act of 1896 meant railways could be built and operated at a lower cost. The Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway proposed a line to Cheddar to tap into tourists visiting the cliffs and caves, as well as transporting market garden produce, especially strawberries and, of course, Cheddar cheese. The S&D did not build this line, but this layout supposes it did and shows Cheddar S&DJR in the 1920s.

The scene with stone, coal, general merchandise and passengers arriving and departing. It was constructed as an entry in the Scalefour Society’s 18.83 Layout Challenge, to build a layout to P4 standards in 18.83 square feet. The track plan is from the Wild Swan’s book Layouts for Small Spaces by Iain Rice.

KITEHOUSES

Based loosely on Seahouses, the terminus of the North Sunderland Light Railway, Kitehouses represents an independent light railway whose operation was taken over by BR around 1949.. The line staggered on for many years, just about making it into the early diesel era, although passenger traffic was very sparse with freight traffic just about justifying the line’s continuing existence.

The aim was to build this layout as an essay in illustrating how easy it is to build a starter P4 layout from available ready-to-run and kit items. Exactoscale New Track components were used for making the trackwork. The buildings have been constructed using off-the-shelf kits from Wills and Ratio. The stone walls are out-of-the-box Hornby Scaledale while the cattle dock is a Bachmann resin cast item.

LEEMAN ROAD

Leeman Road stemmed from a desire to try-out DCC control and a wish to model part of York depot. The old steam depot as it was between the years 1962 - 1966 was settled on: steam engines were in decline and the depot’s sidings were filling up with new English Electric diesels. An early joy of peeking through gaps led to recreating the view down the street with the boundary fence and street light.  Control is by NCE PowerCab, with most diesels fitted with sound decoders. Locos are an assortment of kit built or detailed proprietary ones. York had dozens of ex-LNER V2s, B1s and A1s, with visiting locos and specials all requiring coaling and turning. The backscene is painted in acrylics on a vinyl roller blind to give a sense of depth with no sharp corners.

PLUMPTON GREEN

Plumpton was a small settlement between Lewes and Ditchling in East Sussex when the LB&SCR railway arrived. A station was constructed in 1863 and Plumpton Racecourse was opened in 1886.  The model is closely based on Plumpton in the period 1900-1920. The station limits have been shortened a little, and lay-by sidings have been truncated, with most of the length of each siding off-scene. Other changes made to the facilities are provision of the up bay to add operational interest, principally intended for horse boxes, and a connection from a brickworks at the London end. The layout is controlled by a fully interlocked mechanical lever frame.

WITTON JUNCTION

Witton Junction construction started in 1980 and the first part of the layout represented a prototypical model of Wear Valley loco shed, renamed Witton. Subsequently the layout has been extended to include a terminus station, goods yard and dock branch. Typical North Eastern Railway features are included with the station building based on Garforth, the goods shed based on various locations and working NER slotted signals. The layout is very much a work in progress.

Hopefully, there's something for everyone, and to anyone who says you don't see big P4 tailchasers on the exhibition circuit...

Cheers

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Marketing Manager

A good question. I imagine the list of layouts for this show, like most other prestigious shows, is agreed well in advance of the event, but the release of the list to non-S4 members always seems to be very late. I've no idea why. I take the view that making known the names of the layouts well in advance of the show would encourage as many non-members as possible to attend, boosting society funds and increasing the interest in the scale generally. But who am I to express, or even hold an opinion on such matters?

The good thing is you are whoever you want to be, and hopefully feel free to express your own views as such.

The timing of the advertising can vary.  Flyers for Scalefour North have been available at many exhibitions for some months now.

On the internet, unless something is "current" then it becomes washed away in the constant flow of new materials.  Which is a good thing.  However unless you're able to constantly add new things which people appreciate reading, you can become a stuck record.

We're still over a month from the show.  Details will continue to emerge over coming days.  I hope you find them of interest, and your plans and priorities allow you to attend.

Cheers

Paul Willis

The good thing is you are whoever you want to be, and hopefully feel free to express your own views as such.

The timing of the advertising can vary.  Flyers for Scalefour North have been available at many exhibitions for some months now.

On the internet, unless something is "current" then it becomes washed away in the constant flow of new materials.  Which is a good thing.  However unless you're able to constantly add new things which people appreciate reading, you can become a stuck record.

We're still over a month from the show.  Details will continue to emerge over coming days.  I hope you find them of interest, and your plans and priorities allow you to attend.

Cheers

Paul Willis

Agree that timing of advertising shows us a difficult one. The Wakefield Show is not until November but flyers are expected to be out now. With the availability of the internet and social media would be interesting to see how much trade is drummed up by the traditional flyers

The Bristol gang will be making their way up Saturday and overnighting, hopefully enjoying a curry and a few pints on Saturday night.

Perhaps we ought to form a Land Rover sub group?

attachicon.gifP1050844 A.jpg

Tim Venton's and my Land Rovers.

Both vehicles no longer have truck cabs.

Gordon A

if your interested, theres a regular gathering of a Landy group on sunday afternoon infront of the Kings Arms pub on Heath Common, near Wakefield

Agree that timing of advertising shows us a difficult one. The Wakefield Show is not until November but flyers are expected to be out now. With the availability of the internet and social media would be interesting to see how much trade is drummed up by the traditional flyers

I'm of the view the flyers are still an essential part of advertising.  You only have to look at the number of people hoovering them up from the tables you normally find near the entrance of any show to see there's still a strong demand for them.

The Scalefour Society always ensure the flyers are the first piece of publicity produced, and we print a few thousand of them.  I certainly see a continued use of them, not least by those to whom the internet is a foreign country.

Cheers

Paul Willis

A bit far for me though.

Worth the trip to Heath just to visit the pub even if the Landie is left back in Tunnock Land. Great venue for post Saturday show discussions under the gas lights.

P

• Like 1

I'm of the view the flyers are still an essential part of advertising. You only have to look at the number of people hoovering them up from the tables you normally find near the entrance of any show to see there's still a strong demand for them.

The Scalefour Society always ensure the flyers are the first piece of publicity produced, and we print a few thousand of them. I certainly see a continued use of them, not least by those to whom the internet is a foreign country.

Cheers

Paul Willis

It should be remembered that whilst a great number might well be computer and internet connected etc, many may well not be still, as there's quite a few rural 'not spots' around the country, so for reaching those people they're vital.

The other aspect is a lot of people still use calendars and notice boards and so might pin them on a wall as a reminder.

At Warley on the DEMU stand we had a huge amount of showcase flyers, and lots went, some were taken by individuals, and others by members of smaller clubs etc. We had a small amount of scalefour North flyers on the stand too (well on the table next to us along with a load of others) and they all disappeared. So they're definitely valued by people.

They're also handy if you get lost and find yourself with no data connection I've found in the past!

I'm of the view the flyers are still an essential part of advertising. You only have to look at the number of people hoovering them up from the tables you normally find near the entrance of any show to see there's still a strong demand for them.

The Scalefour Society always ensure the flyers are the first piece of publicity produced, and we print a few thousand of them. I certainly see a continued use of them, not least by those to whom the internet is a foreign country.

Cheers

Paul Willis

I can see that flyers can be useful to some but suspect that many people at exhibitions are leaflet collectors. I know that I have accumulated stuff at an exhibition only to recycle it on my return home when the harsh light of common sense returns and I accept that a crowd funded Gauge 3 BigBoy is really not a good investment for me nor is an exhibition in Fishguard however magnificent it promises to be likely to be one I get to.

I exaggerate. I'm sure diligent exhibition managers have a good understanding of the return their publicity budget delivers and that flyers still work. Or are they just another habit.

Most people at exhibitions other than the premier league shows are local perhaps within 35 miles and probably won't travel further. Those that will travel are the more enthusiastic who will generally make it their business to know about other exhibitions.

I no longer pick up flyers and I'd suggest that the number that are solely the reason for an actual foot through the door is pretty small especially for the bigger/better exhibitions unless they're available in supermarkets etc to tap into the GP. But the GP are even less likely to travel to non-local shows.

Problem is that without a lot of data you'd never know for sure.

Edited by RichardS

When I get given flyers I put them in with orders to people who might be in easy travelling distance to a show.

Dave Franks.

And so does Mr Squires.  Trouble is that many of them are miles away at the other end of the country and not shows I would consider travelling to.  However, they have introduced me to many shows that I didn't even know existed!

Hi,

Well I was going to say, they have given a link to follow on the first poste, so all you have to do is follow that:

Details are on the Society’s website at www.scalefour.org/scalefournorth.

So I did and it's about as informative as a party political broadcast!! Come on chaps give us a clue!

Kevin.

I agree - and I'm a Scalefour Society member!  Come on guys, get the proverbial digit out and provide some REAL info for the non-members to see.  I know that SA4News published a complete list of everything but that's only available to members.  You're missing a real big trick here obviously.

I agree - and I'm a Scalefour Society member!  Come on guys, get the proverbial digit out and provide some REAL info for the non-members to see.  I know that SA4News published a complete list of everything but that's only available to members.  You're missing a real big trick here obviously.

Been told on the S4 Forum that the info should be posted later this week.  Delay due to illness of the webmaster by all accounts.  Having been in similar situations myself in the past I can fully sympathise with him!

If anyone needs trader info then myself (or Flymo presumably) can help.

Been told on the S4 Forum that the info should be posted later this week.  Delay due to illness of the webmaster by all accounts.  Having been in similar situations myself in the past I can fully sympathise with him!

Here we go, try this!

https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&p=51848#p51848

Where else could you find such an eclectic mix in Yorkshire?

And don't say 'York'.................................

Edited by 5050

List of trade lifted from the Show Guide.

247 DEVELOPMENTS
1 Coombe Road, Milnsbridge, Huddersfield HD3 4SF
www.247developments.co.uk 01484 653387
Etched nameplates, kits and components
ALAN GIBSON (WORKSHOP)
P.O. Box 597, Oldham OL1 9FQ
www.alangibsonworkshop.com 0161 678 1607
Wheels, etched kits and components
AMBIS ENGINEERING
The Old House, 80 Westgate St., Shouldham, Norfolk PE33 0BH
www.ambisengineering.co.uk
Etched kits and components
BILL HUDSON TRANSPORT BOOKS
Station Yard, Matlock, Derbyshire DE4 3NA
www.billhudsontransportbooks.co.uk 01629 580797
New and second-hand books
BRASSMASTERS SCALE MODELS
P.O. Box 1137, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands B76 1FU
www.brassmasters.co.uk
Locomotive & EasiChas kits, detailing components
C&L FINESCALE (including CARRS and EXACTOSCALE)
Aran Lodge, Severn Road, Hallen, Bristol BS10 7RZ
www.finescale.org.uk 01179 505 470
Trackwork and soldering supplies
CAMBRIAN MODELS
10 Long Road, Tydd Gote, Wisbech PE13 5RB
www.cambrianmodels.co.uk 01945 420511
Plastic wagon kits and components
COASTAL DCC
71 Alan Road, Ipswich, Suffolk IP3 8EY
www.coastaldcc.co.uk 01473 403764
DCC control systems and decoders
DAVE BRADWELL
South Muirnich Cottage, Gorthleck, Inverness IV2 6YP
www.davebradwell.co.uk 01456 486377
Etched locomotive and rolling stock kits
DAVID GEEN KITS (including MALCOLM MITCHELL)
30 Silverwood Close, Dale Park, Hartlepool TS27 3QF
www.davidgeen.co.uk 01429 269600
Locomotive and rolling stock kits
DOUBLEO SCENICS
33 Willis Road, Haddenham, Buckinghamshire HP17 8HL
www.doubleoscenics.weebly.com 01844 291128
Scenery and weathering supplies
EILEEN’S EMPORIUM
Unit 19.12 Highnam Business Centre, Newent Road, Glos. GL2 8DN
www.eileensemporium.com 01531 828009
Tools, painting and scratchbuilding supplies
HIGH LEVEL MODELS
14 Tudor Road, Chester-le-Street, County Durham DH3 3RY
www.highlevelkits.co.uk 0191 388 2112
Locomotive kits and drivetrain solutions
HOBBY HOLIDAYS
The Spinney, Low Street, Beckingham, Doncaster, S Yorks. DN10 4PW
www.hobbyholidays.co.uk 01427 848979
Tools, paint, scratchbuilding supplies and modelling courses
JUDITH EDGE KITS
5 Chapel Lane, Carlton, Barnsley, S Yorks. S71 3LE
http://bit.ly/1f1h2YJ 01226 722309
Etched locomotive kits
LANARKSHIRE MODELS & SUPPLIES
9 Nairn Avenue, Blantyre G72 9NF
www.lanarkshiremodels.com 01698 821272
Etched and cast detailing components
LONDON ROAD MODELS
P.O. Box 643, Watford, Herts. WD24 5ZJ
www.londonroadmodels.co.uk
Etched locomotive and rolling stock kits
MODEL RAILWAY DEVELOPMENTS
87 Copthorne Road, Leatherhead, Surrey KT22 7EE
www.emardee.org.uk 01372 817504
Detailing components and accessories
MOUSA MODELS
745b High Road, Leytonstone, London E11 4QS
www.mousa.biz 020 8133 7547
Rolling stock kits and components
PARKSIDE DUNDAS
Millie Street, Kirkcaldy, Fife KY1 2NL
www.parksidedundas.co.uk 01592 640896
Plastic wagon kits, components and transfers
PENBITS MODEL RAILWAYS
c/o 12 Fieldside, Long Wittenham, Abingdon, Oxon OX14 4QB
www.penbits.co.uk
Etched locomotive bogie kits
RT MODELS
75 Yew Tree Close, Spring Gardens, Shrewsbury SY1 2UR
www.rtmodels.co.uk
Locomotive and rolling stock kits and details
RUMNEY MODELS
7 Hurlingham Road, Bristol BS7 9BA
www.rumneymodels.co.uk
Etched rolling stock and chassis kits
SCALEFOUR STORES
120 Hayhurst Avenue, Middlewich, Cheshire CW10 0BD
www.scalefour.org/stores/stores.html 01606 835708
Supplies for the discerning modeller
SEVERN MODELS
P.O. Box 70, Broseley, Shorpshire TF7 9FT
www.severnmodels.com
Etched scenic kits
SHAWPLAN
2 Upper Dunstead Road, Langley Mill, Nottingham NG16 4GR
www.shawplan.com 01773 718648
Etched detailing components, Laserglaze, paint & transfers
STEVENSONS CARRIAGES & MILLHOLME MODELS
17 Brookfield Park, Mill Lane, Old Tupton, Chesterfield S42 6AF
pbarker@btinternet.com
Locomotive and rolling stock kits
WIZARD MODELS (including MSE/51L and COMET)
P.O. Box 70, Barton upon Humber DN18 5XY
www.wizardmodels.co.uk 01652 635885
Rolling stock and signalling kits, components and supplies

• Like 2

Very happy to, when I have the opportunity.  Like our webmaster, a full-time and rather demanding job can unfortunately sometimes coincide with best-laid plans to put something out on the Society's activities.

But we should have another important announcement to do with Scalefour North which we hope to be finalised in the next 2-3 weeks...

Cheers

Paul Willis

Is it therefore confirmed that a certain supplier (or not) of a range of LNER coach kits is not attending this year's show?

On the general question of how soon potential visitors want to know what will be present at a show, my own approach to the selection of shows worthy of visits may, or may not be representative of what others desire: I look many months ahead to see the selection of layouts, trade, societies and demos at the various shows within reasonable travelling distance, and plan in my diary the selection that gives me best use of my money and my limited number of available weekends. If info about a particular show isn't available well in advance, it is much less likely to attract my interest. S4N is, admittedly, something special owing to the depth and breadth of the quality trade coverage for those of us who actually build locos and rolling stock, as well as the quality of the layouts typically on show, but it would still be nice if the information was "out there" ASAP.

Is it therefore confirmed that a certain supplier (or not) of a range of LNER coach kits is not attending this year's show?

Who?  And I can ask...

I'm only able to provide information if the questions are not deliberately obtuse.

Cheers

Paul Willis