GWR Branch - Castle Down. Mostly GWR with an odd SR working

sjrixon

• RMweb Gold

You all bored of this yet?

I've got one side done, also buried the Staithe in the clay.

post-19113-0-43489000-1523562796_thumb.jpg

I suddenly realised that I had to get the goods shed finished that's been sat half done for ages. The doors and guttering all needed painting up, brickwork needed pointing and a little weathering. 

One buried goods shed!

post-19113-0-81392300-1523562800_thumb.jpg

post-19113-0-92312700-1523562804_thumb.jpg

I've tried to add a little more texture to the rest, it's looking pretty nice. Just need to get some paint down and see what it looks like with some colour on.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Making more progress..

I tried a quick coat of paint last night, just to get an idea. The article from Chris said to do the cobbles in black and then dry brush them on. I have to say looking at it now, I think the back is too dark, the dry brushing nicely picks up the tops, but I doesn't quite look right.. 

See what you think..

attachicon.gifIMG_9552.JPG

It was really tough to get enough light onto it to see what it really looks like.

A tip I learned from painting scale plastic kits (Hasegawa, Tamiya, Aifix, etc.) is to add just a drop (literally) or of red to your black mix. It makes the black less stark. Works a treat on aircraft radomes. The effects of scale, and all that.....

Just a thought.

• RMweb Gold

I managed to get a base coat down on the whole area, with a little colour differentiation. It doesn't look too bad in the quick snap, but it does need some further detailing. 

post-19113-0-03892000-1523774112_thumb.jpg

Then some good news! I've had to take everything off the layout and pack it all away..

post-19113-0-49735900-1523774122_thumb.jpg

Where my layout is located is also my home office. I decided at the end of last year that it needed replacing, the building is starting to show it's age and isn't the best place to be working nearly every day of the week..

post-19113-0-38773000-1523774125_thumb.jpg

post-19113-0-83570400-1523774127_thumb.jpg

Means I need to wait a few weeks now to get back on with the layout. But should give me a really nice place to work from!

• Like 4

Does that mean a new building is about to be constructed?

Where has the layout gone?

Best of luck, just one word of warning these type of projects always seem to take longer than you plan especially with our weather at the moment!

Keep us updated with the 1:1 project....

Edited by KNP

• RMweb Gold

My new office is on order, should be here in a week or so.. Plan is to build in May, so not a long wait and it's a kit so shouldn't take too long!

The layout was build in 3 sections, not to be portable, but so I could move it should I need to. When I tried to split the section from the yard to the main station all the paint, glue, ballast meant I had to get a knife and a razor saw to split the gap again!

I'm lucky to have a large garage.. And also a 6x4 board with the kids round and round layout. So all the buildings from that went into a box and my layouts went on top.

That's my 009 layout on the outside!

post-19113-0-33869000-1523779416_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

My new office is on order, should be here in a week or so.. Plan is to build in May, so not a long wait and it's a kit so shouldn't take too long!

The layout was build in 3 sections, not to be portable, but so I could move it should I need to. When I tried to split the section from the yard to the main station all the paint, glue, ballast meant I had to get a knife and a razor saw to split the gap again!

I'm lucky to have a large garage.. And also a 6x4 board with the kids round and round layout. So all the buildings from that went into a box and my layouts went on top.

That's my 009 layout on the outside!

GarageMess.jpg

Someone gave me the same box of ‘Classic Ales’ for Christmas!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The build is progressing, it's been interesting as these things always are..

Firstly the old one came down.. 

post-19113-0-61754500-1525203632_thumb.jpg

Then into a big pile of rubbish on the drive..

post-19113-0-91418100-1525203635_thumb.jpg

Then someone filled my garage with lots and lots of bits!

post-19113-0-85122200-1525203665_thumb.jpg

And the new one starts to come together..

post-19113-0-68947500-1525203663_thumb.jpg

This is classic, it looks finished building. As the tarpaulin shows the roof isn't completed, I need to paint it with 2 coats, I need an electrician to do some magic and oh, there is no floor yet..

Modelling has obviously taken a back step. But I have been painting up a few kits I've had waiting for a quiet moment, so when I'm sorted they shouldn't take much effort to get running.

• Like 9

The build is progressing, it's been interesting as these things always are..

Firstly the old one came down.. 

attachicon.gif20180416_133908.jpg

Then into a big pile of rubbish on the drive..

attachicon.gif20180416_151938.jpg

Then someone filled my garage with lots and lots of bits!

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1524730108938.jpg

And the new one starts to come together..

attachicon.gif20180429_173619.jpg

This is classic, it looks finished building. As the tarpaulin shows the roof isn't completed, I need to paint it with 2 coats, I need an electrician to do some magic and oh, there is no floor yet..

Modelling has obviously taken a back step. But I have been painting up a few kits I've had waiting for a quiet moment, so when I'm sorted they shouldn't take much effort to get running.

Very smart, is it insulated?

• RMweb Gold

It is very insulated.. The logs are not what they seem. They are a sandwich of wood and then foam insulation and then more wood, they call it a warmlog. Then the floor is insulated and the roof the same. The doors and windows are also double glazed. One big cozy box, I hope. Time will tell when I am working in the winter out there.

• Like 1

It is very insulated.. The logs are not what they seem. They are a sandwich of wood and then foam insulation and then more wood, they call it a warmlog. Then the floor is insulated and the roof the same. The doors and windows are also double glazed. One big cozy box, I hope. Time will tell when I am working in the winter out there.

Sounds like the real McCoy then, home from home but with a layout in it....

• RMweb Gold

Certainly should be... 

Plan was to complete the roof today, but rain is going to stop play.. Looks nice for tomorrow, so I'll just have to wait.

I can't get the floor down until the electrician has done his thing, which is actually even more annoying than the roof!

Certainly should be... 

Plan was to complete the roof today, but rain is going to stop play.. Looks nice for tomorrow, so I'll just have to wait.

I can't get the floor down until the electrician has done his thing, which is actually even more annoying than the roof!

The good old English weather.

Looking out of the window here it is hammering it down.

• RMweb Gold

The roof is on, it's had a couple of coats of paint to protect it. The electrician has done is round of wiring so I could get the floor down and he should be coming back on Tuesday.

post-19113-0-18178400-1525589490_thumb.jpg

Still more to do.. But it's not far away now. I was out there till 8.30 last night trying to get finished!!

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm making progress!!!

post-19113-0-81869000-1526563587_thumb.jpg

Castle Down is back together, it fits, so all good!

First test wasn't great though. A few points weren't working, it's not the DCC bus as some others were ok. So I need to do some diagnostics! 

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

So... Very odd, some of the point motors had been switched from run to set, no idea how. Of course when I switched them back, I'd programmed them all on the same ID. Had to go around switching them to set, configure and then back to run! Back in business!!

post-19113-0-70227000-1526640121_thumb.jpg

Quick snap of the cleaning train, testing all the track sections. Surprised the change in colour of the picture under the new Led lights.

• Like 7

Nice new play room.

I bet it nice running with the doors open with all that extra day light and fresh air.

The ground work around the goods depot is looking mighty fine

I fitted 6 foot LED strip lighting to my ceiling in stead of the old baton tubes and couldn’t believe the difference also.

Highly recommend to any one thinking of doing so.

Dan

• RMweb Gold

It's amazing with all the daylight and fresh air, so, so much nicer. The playroom is an office first, so the real improvement is with that, such a nicer place to be working.

Time to get back to the goods yard.. I've some different fencing in a box, so I thought I try some nice black fence to separate the new yard area from the main line. I've also just found the box with all the buildings, people etc that I'd taken off, so the layout has life again.

post-19113-0-60700400-1526650987_thumb.jpg

Clicked post too soon and didn't add the picture.

• Like 5

Business as usual now then - posts to follow on a regular basis as works progresses?

Do you have a name for your new railway room yet for us to refer to?

Edited by KNP

• RMweb Gold

Yes, need to get back on it now.. Back to regular posting! I've not been lazing around while building, I've a few trucks that are half way through the paint shop.

As for a name, it's just my new Cabin, nothing special, or sometimes my office.

I better actually fit some fence and I could get some flock down.

• Like 2

Crikey Scott, I hadn't realised I'd missed so many of your Post's, the new Cabin looks superb mate, and what a difference that lighting makes as well.

Warm and cosy ready for next winter, or August, hahah.

All the best. 

• RMweb Gold

Castle Down is normally restricted to 6 wagons, that's about all you want to shunt in the small yard, 7 is a little much.

post-19113-0-77628600-1526997369_thumb.jpg

I've been working on this lot for ages, I had a grand plan to batch build a few more wagons to top up the goods stock. The trouble was I then got a little bored as they all got to the primer stage at the same time. So I've pulled up my socks and got on with it! They are a mix of Parkside and Cooper Craft.

The last one has even had a coat of gloss varnish, then the transfers, then matt.. It's looking quite sharp!

Then I need to make up all the cards for my shunting logic too!! It never ends does it.. And it's it fun :)

• Like 5

Castle Down is normally restricted to 6 wagons, that's about all you want to shunt in the small yard, 7 is a little much.

attachicon.gif20180522_145359.jpg

I've been working on this lot for ages, I had a grand plan to batch build a few more wagons to top up the goods stock. The trouble was I then got a little bored as they all got to the primer stage at the same time. So I've pulled up my socks and got on with it! They are a mix of Parkside and Cooper Craft.

The last one has even had a coat of gloss varnish, then the transfers, then matt.. It's looking quite sharp!

Then I need to make up all the cards for my shunting logic too!! It never ends does it.. And it's it fun :)

Looking great Scott. You've just reminded me that I need to make up a couple more cards for my latest 2 X O Gauge Wagons and also the Locos.

I do a Card for each Loco, with a small circle at one end to represent the Chimney, that way a quick shuffle and I can have a different Loco facing a different way, depending on how I lay the card down.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3