British Model Railway Awards 2016 - results and winners

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

We'd just like to say a huge thank-you to everyone who voted for us, and came up to congratulate us at Model Rail Scotland this weekend, on our TEA tanker winning the N Gauge Rolling stock category.

We would also like to pay tribute to the other winners and runners up in every category, but in particular to Graham Farish who beat us to the N Gauge manufacturer of the year award and who have raised the bar since taking on the range in the early 2000s and transformed N Gauge modelling.

We would also like to thank Rapido Trains for making the Revolution TEAs for us to such a high quality and to congratulate them on winning the 00 category with the APT-E.

Cheers

Ben A.

Thanks for all who Voted for Pencarne, it was a real honour to be Nominated by Clive CMortimer, so thanks Clive.

It is fair to say that any layouts n the shortlist had several nominations with the shortlist being the ten most popular. The same for the other categories - I wouldn't want people thinking that it only takes one nomination to get on the list otherwise there would then be some claiming the shortlist was skewed.

It is fair to say that any layouts n the shortlist had several nominations with the shortlist being the ten most popular. The same for the other categories - I wouldn't want people thinking that it only takes one nomination to get on the list otherwise there would then be some claiming the shortlist was skewed.

Thanks Andy, I hadn't realised that.

In the case of lime Street, the hotel itself could have won an award on its own judging by the BRM article. A fantastic layout I got to see a few years back.

I do agree breaking the layout category down to individual and group would be better, as a group here a (generally) bigger budget and more time (in terms of hours per person) than an individual might have.

The 2017 awards should be interesting with things like the 87, 800, h and others all due and others now released or about to be (merchant navy and 68 perhaps).

Some of the new names this year will also have new products so those will be interesting to see. Exciting times.

• RMweb Gold

I just want to add my congratulations to all the worthy winners, good to see Hornby back on track, especially with their Southern related models doing so well.

Also a big thank you for firstly, those that nominated my little corner of the blogosphere and secondly, those whom voted for it against some other excellent websites and online resources.

Dapol’s Class 08 model won the O gauge locomotive category by a huge margin and contributed to it winning this year’s O gauge manufacturer of the year showing that accessibly priced O gauge has a market.

I could say "I told you so" - or more like "Ah tode, yer, day I?" ;) but a few years ago I was roundly put down by some in the 7mm community for suggesting there is a market for cheaper R-T-R O Scale; some bemoaned the dumbing-down that they saw R-T-R as doing by removing the need for kit-building skills etc; seemed to me more like some wanted to keep the scale rather 'exclusive', partly by keeping it expensive, too

Now granted, O is still a scale where it's easy to spend far too much, but Dapol's & Minerva's locos have shown that £500 does not have to be the starting price for an R-T-R loco.

With The Little Loco Co. now in the frame, & Minerva expanding, next year's Awards in the O scale category should be a stiff competition!!

• RMweb Premium

Excellent and well deserved winners and finalists. Hopefully we won't have any 'Oscar Award moments' and redistribution of the announced winners ;)

Regarding the Layouts, there are many options this could be broken down by. I favour Club v Individual, but then there is also scale 'n', 'oo' and 'o'. I guess Forth Bridge would be the permanent T Gauge winner!.

Another option is physical size. Having been at Glasgow on Friday, Liverpool Lime Street & Mostyn by their sheer size were certainly impressive, but at the other end of the spectrum, Nick G's 'The Sidings' displayed next to 'Oil Drum Lane' were two absolutely fabulous layouts with amazing detail in such a small footprint.

I'd just like to thank everyone who voted for Waverley West. To be tucked up behind layouts of the quality of Liverpool Lime St. and World's End was very satisfying and humbling indeed and I'm very grateful to everyone who voted for WW.

Personally, I wouldn't argue with any of the winners, as they all seemed very worthy to me. It's good to see Hornby back up at the top and Bachmann's position reflected a year of consolidation really I think, so no shame in that.

I believe Waverley West for example, and there will be others,  has been built by just one person ( I'm prepared to be corrected but hopefully you will see my point), he seems to do everything, lay, track, wire it, buildings from scratch based on prototypes and modify stock to prototypes seen in a particular place at more a less a particular time. 

Thanks mullie. Yes, WW is all my own work, except for the signals in the station itself and in Princes Street Gardens, which Roger Murray made. Because of the complexity of these signals and my inexperience in making signals generally, I felt I needed a little professional assistance and I've no regrets about taking advantage of Roger's skills and expertise. Wherever possible, I prefer to do everything myself though.

It was great to see Trackshack be recognised. I've only used them a couple of times so far, but the service I received each time was faultless.

• RMweb Gold
John Holden has asked me to post the following on his behalf:

After a most enjoyable weekend at the Glasgow Show exhibiting Liverpool Lime Street and having now caught up with some pressing domestic duties, I can finally get round to responding to the news that Lime Street has been awarded Layout of the Year 2016.

This news has come as a total surprise to me and I am flattered that so many modellers have seen fit to vote for Lime Street. There is no doubt that this would not have happened without the massive contribution made by the rest of the team so on their behalf I would like to say a huge Thank You to all the people who voted for Lime Street.

Cheers,

John Holden

• 3 weeks later...

Just seen the results of the British Model Railway Awards 2016 poll, where Acc+Ess Protocab  came fourth in the Innovation of the Year category with 10% of the vote, which is great, given that we are fairly new in the marketplace.

Congratulations to Peco in first place with the superb new bullhead rail and getting nearly 50% of the vote is incredible! Also congrats to Train_tech in second place for the Layout-link auto signalling system (nearly a quarter of the vote) and DCC Concepts bullhead track in third place.

Far from being downheartedat not winning, we are elated even to be shortlisted and our real heartfelt thanks to the 213 modellers who voted for us. Thanks to RMWeb for including us in the shortlist! It's galvanised us into winning next year!

Tony Hagon

Director

Acc+Ess Ltd

Or to accommodate most of us, a category for the least number of years to build one layout .

For me it would have to be a category for the longest number of years to build a layout! I started Penhafod in 1978 and it's still not got any of the pointwork connected!

Archived