Andy Y

British Model Railway Awards 2016 - results and winners

Well done to ALL the manufacturers for making our job of deciding which is best in each vote so difficult.

I suspect that if RMweb was allowed to enter the website vote it would come very high in the rankings, so thank you to Andy York and the rest of his team.

Edited by Chris116
  • Like 1

Excellent to see that the Hornby SR Cattle wagon has won the OO Gauge Wagons award in the British Model Railway Awards 2016. Very well deserved and pleasing to see this wagon win it :)

Edited by Garethp8873

Well done Hornby and Rapido on OO categories.

Hornby a long time coming and well deserved.

3 small tank locos in the top 3 must be a hint of where the market has headed.

Guest Midland Mole

Very well done Hornby, but nothing in OO for Bachmann? I'm quite surprised by that.

Alex

The fact that Hornby got 55% of votes in OO gauge steam is a testament to the quantity and quality of what they are doing in this section of the industry. I am also very pleased to see TrackShack come 4th in the Retailer' section, due to its current small size it will never get the number of votes that the big 3 get, but its position shows the real quality of service they provide!

• Like 5

Congratulations to all the winners.  Well done.  :sungum:  :sungum:

As an aside, perhaps its our age profile, or something else, but the "OO Gauge Modern Traction" winners are of prototypes first introduced 45 to 69 years ago.

APT-E  Built 1972

Class 71  Built from 1958-1960

Wicckham Trolley  Built 1948 - 1990

(Dates from Wikipedia)

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 7

Very well done Hornby, but nothing in OO for Bachmann? I'm quite surprised by that.

Alex

They'll be back, man.

Edited by Arthur

As an aside, perhaps its our age profile, or something else, but the "modern Traction" winners are of prototypes at least 40 years ago:

I couldn't call it the D&E category this year; a gas turbine, a petrol engine and an electric with booster flywheel.

• Like 3

Well Done Hornby!

Really demonstrates Hornby can deliver at the top of the industry when things go right for them! More of the same please (and get the rest of the range up to a similar build/decoration quality as the award-winning newly tooled stuff)

And well done everyone else (OO) - very strong fields in all categories.

I was astonished when Rapido first thought of doing a model of E-Train when Jason first contacted Paul Leadley and I to help them some years ago now. Both of us had figured no-one would EVER make an 00 model of the Train.

And now it goes and wins the Model of the Year Award!  :good:

I'm feeling well chuffed, and many thanks to all who voted for it.  :D

• Like 14

Really good to see Hornby getting these awards, considering the problems they have had it is a magnificent achievement by all concerned. The standard of their models coming out now is absolutely superband puts them right back at the top where they belong.

Edited by 7013

Well done to the layout owners too - The one I voted for didn't come first, but Liverpool Lime St certainly is a head turner.  My wife just looked at the pic and said "that's just a picture of a real station passed off as a model".  Says it all really.  But then she said the same about the one I voted for, which is on the opposite side of the country, and is set a tad later.

• Like 5

Some may argue that the APT-E did not have much competition, but even if there had been much more, I feel APT-E would have flattened all except maybe a Bachmann Blue Pullman diesel train.

Good for Hornby !

I understand their little Peckett has gone down a storm with the kettle boys.

I think Bachmann had a year of consolidation with no show stoppers.

Well done Hornby and Rapido. Hopefully this (and obviously the sales) provide some welcome market confidence. Nice to see positive remarks from the winners. I wonder if Dapol will be commenting on its win?

• Like 3

I couldn't call it the D&E category this year; a gas turbine, a petrol engine and an electric with booster flywheel.

"Anything but steam?" ;)

• Like 1

Excellent results for Hornby and great to see Rapido establish themselves in the polls - well done the newcomers.

Like '45156'  I also voted for a layout on the dry side but Lime Street was a very worthy winner.  The votes for exhibitions are interesting - do they reflect the numbers who attend or is there more to it than that I wonder?

• Like 4

Well done Hornby and Rapido, richly deserved. Awards all over the Hornby stand at Model Rail Scotland . I still marvel at my little Huntley And Palmers Peckett , 2 months on

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2