British Model Railway Awards 2016 - results and winners

Andy Y

A big thank you to everyone who voted for the UK Model Shops Directory.

Being voted as 'Website of the Year' for the second year running is indeed a great honour, thank you.

Congratulations to everyone else who won an award as it clearly shows this is still a strong hobby.

It is also good to see Hornby on the top in several categories given their recent troubles.

--
Best Regards,
Adrian Hall
----------------------------------
THE UK Model Shops Directory
**British Model Railway Awards**
**Website of the Year 2016**
http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk

A very fair set of results. I don't think I have ever agreed with the positions of so many items in so many of the categories!

The Peckett is really a little wonder, and I love the cattle wagon and the Maunsell stock, well done Hornby.

I wish I could pluck up the courage to try a Hattons 14xx but with an 02 sitting on the shelf and now a well tank sounding more like an old Essar 0-6-0T (remember those!), I think I shall wait until 2018 when I should be able to visit and test. Of course there may be none left, but I'll take the risk rather than waste another 100 quid.

Finally, a huge thank you to all who organised the voting and collated the results.

A big thank you to everyone who voted for the UK Model Shops Directory.

Being voted as 'Website of the Year' for the second year running is indeed a great honour, thank you.

Best Regards,

Adrian Hall

THE UK Model Shops Directory

**British Model Railway Awards**

**Website of the Year 2016**

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk

Totally agree, an excellent website and deserving of being website of the year again.

And thanks to everyone voting mine into 2nd equal. Quite amazing in a year when I have done so much foreign gallavanting that I have not been able to pay the site so much attention.

Next year should be even more interesting if some of the models I've been asked to assist with photos of are produced. However, I will again mention I was disappointed with the 7mm selection. It may not have made any difference but I would like to see much closer attention paid to the emerging RTR scene. We can already see some stiff competition developing!

Once again, thanks to all, but you chose the very best website of the year.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I was astonished when Rapido first thought of doing a model of E-Train when Jason first contacted Paul Leadley and I to help them some years ago now. Both of us had figured no-one would EVER make an 00 model of the Train.

And now it goes and wins the Model of the Year Award!  :good:

I'm feeling well chuffed, and many thanks to all who voted for it.  :D

Plus a big thanks to Kit and Paul for their input into making such a outstanding model.

Plus a big thanks to Kit and Paul for their input into making such a outstanding model.

Thank you Colin, it was really a labour of love for us to assist in making the model so accurate.

Mind you, trying to persuade the guys in China that you didn't need HK brake hoses on BOTH ends of the same axle was a bit frustrating. I think Bill must have told them 4-5 times before they finally got it right.  :D

Very deserved awards. Hornby have done great to claw themselves to these after a rather turbulent number of years, they're not out of the woods yet, but they have some lovely items lined up so 2017 & 2018 will be interesting to look forward to.

Very deserving winner with the apt-e. I wish I'd been able to buy one at the time, but not really suitable for my plans.

On behalf of Fraser Black and I, can i just say that we are very honoured to have been nominated in the innovation category, and would like to thank everyone who voted for our 'ACE' DCC Controller, and to also congratulate all of the winners and runners up in all categories.

For an unknown manufacturer just entering into this industry, we are immensely pleased and proud to have been nominated at all, and to have received even the 5% vote (which is actually more than the number of people who currently the ACE controller) is extremely satisfying for us and also a massive motivation for us to continue with the continued production and development of the Sig-naTrak® range.

Well done especially to RevolutioN trains for their innovative croudfunding model which has certainly proved to be a success for them and I anticipate their Class 390 to be top of next years N Gauge modern stock list!

I wish to thank everyone who voted for the 'N Gauge Forum' which enabled us to be joint second.  I wouldn't have thought that we'd stand a chance against those who cover multiple gauges, so it's wonderful to achieve that.  :yahoo:

And thanks to everyone voting mine into 2nd equal.

I'm honoured to be joint second with your website.  It's certainly been an amazing help to me over the years when creating and painting many models.  Thank you!

I've just picked up on this. I had no idea Remagen was even nominated for Layout of the Year , and many thanks to all that voted.

Liverpool LimeStreet is a well deserved winner. It is a superb layout. Congratulations to you guys.

Well done Hornby and Rapido. Hopefully this (and obviously the sales) provide some welcome market confidence. Nice to see positive remarks from the winners. I wonder if Dapol will be commenting on its win?

With so many superb products being brought to market, it is hardly a disgrace not to win. All the same, it must be hard for Bachmann to lose the 00 manufacturer of the year accolade which it has scooped for so many years. Bearing this in mind, I thought that David Haarhaus’s comment was particularly gracious.

. All the same, it must be hard for Bachmann to lose the 00 manufacturer of the year accolade which it has scooped for so many years. Bearing this in mind, I thought that David Haarhaus’s comment was particularly gracious.

However, to be 'Manufacturer of the Year' you have to manufacture something, and realistically, Bachmann have not really bought anything new to the market in 2016. A year of consolidation for them? I hope so, and maybe they will be more 'competitive' this year.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

However, to be 'Manufacturer of the Year' you have to manufacture something, and realistically, Bachmann have not really bought anything new to the market in 2016. A year of consolidation for them? I hope so, and maybe they will be more 'competitive' this year.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Fair enough, I suppose. Efforts have been made to unblock the log jam but it takes time. I hope the stuff comes out in ones and twos and not all at once!

• RMweb Premium

A great set of accolades for Hornby, and well deserved. The little 0-4-0 industrial kettle is one of those rare models which just looks completely right, appeals across normal boundaries and creates a whole new niche of its own. That model realy is spectacularly "right" and taken with a lot of other fantastic releases and their turnaround in so many other areas I think they really did deserve this recognition. Which in no way belittles the tremendous efforts of the other manufacturers, all of whom served us well last year. Thankyou to all of them and best of luck for next year!

I've just picked up on this. I had no idea Remagen was even nominated for Layout of the Year , and many thanks to all that voted.

Liverpool LimeStreet is a well deserved winner. It is a superb layout. Congratulations to you guys.

Voted for yours, as to me one of the best. Also as mentioned those from Antimatter Games loved how it looked as well.

Also massive congrats for Rapido as well, Sure the 156 and other things will be future winners as well.

Looking at the candidate list when voting opened, my first thought was what a lot of good items to choose among; both as subject selections, and judging from what I had seen and bought and other's reactions, in quality of execution of the models.

...to be 'Manufacturer of the Year' you have to manufacture something, and realistically, Bachmann have not really bought anything new to the market in 2016...

Or perhaps didn't bring anything like as much new to market in OO in 2016 as they have in past years. Bachmann have enjoyed fifteen years of sustained success in raiding my wallet with a stream of suitable items for my interest, then suddenly in 2016 just one wagon release in my case!  If you don't field a full strength squad, then the competition has the opportunity to make hay. That said, the competitors were 'performing' and might well have triumphed against much stronger opposition. If this standard is maintained generally, then there wil be no more easy wins of the manufacturer of the year award.

...Next year should be even more interesting if some of the models I've been asked to assist with photos of are produced...

Ooh, tease!

Marvellous news this year for Hornby but I'd bet Bachmann wins next year with its long awaited release of the Stanier 2-6-0 which I have had on pre-order for 4 years with another category winner. One gripe I have is that all the publicity surrounding various releases is wasteful and annoying as there have been many times recently where you simply can't buy one once they reach the shops as they are all spoken for by pre-orders. (My Stanier order  is my 1st and only pre-order but I will be putting one in for the Duchess.) As a case in point just try buying a Peckett this week!

Congratulations also must go especially to Adrian Hall and his UK Model Shops Directory, a first stop shop for all manner of model and real railway information, the site is a credit to you Adrian.

As an aside, someone will be manufacturing the Anhydrite hopper wagons soon - I have made 12 out of 20 from the Dapol 21t hopper as a 20 plus years wait is long enough hahaha :jester:

Lime Street is a superb layout, the reward is richly deserved and I'm an avid follower.

One suggestion I thought of; could the layout category be divided into those layouts built by groups and those built by individuals? For example, Lime Street, Little Bytham and Peterborough North have all benefitted from the input of a number of people leading to superb results, nothing should be taken away from them and the results far better than anything I could achieve.

I believe Waverley West for example, and there will be others,  has been built by just one person ( I'm prepared to be corrected but hopefully you will see my point), he seems to do everything, lay, track, wire it, buildings from scratch based on prototypes and modify stock to prototypes seen in a particular place at more a less a particular time. Does this type of modelling deserve separate recognition rather than being put in the same category as a team effort?

Just a thought.

Lime Street is a superb layout, the reward is richly deserved and I'm an avid follower.

One suggestion I thought of; could the layout category be divided into those layouts built by groups and those built by individuals? For example, Lime Street, Little Bytham and Peterborough North have all benefitted from the input of a number of people leading to superb results, nothing should be taken away from them and the results far better than anything I could achieve.

I believe Waverley West for example, and there will be others, has been built by just one person ( I'm prepared to be corrected but hopefully you will see my point), he seems to do everything, lay, track, wire it, buildings from scratch based on prototypes and modify stock to prototypes seen in a particular place at more a less a particular time. Does this type of modelling deserve separate recognition rather than being put in the same category as a team effort?

Just a thought.

That's a good thought - there are some fantastic layouts out there, but those built by individuals can be equally as good but sometimes don't have the huge visual impact of something like Lime Street, Little Bytham, Gresley Beat etc. I'm thinking here of Westerham, Kingsbridge Regis (and its predecessor) - and what about John Flanns magnificent Hintock, which is a source of inspiration to many of us......

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

They could include in their Kader report "Bachmann failed to win certain awards in 2016 largely due to our competition bringing many excellent new items to the market while we faced continued delays".

Where I work, the senior team does not like such negative feedback but the new boss at the top is starting to wonder why the figures are not as good as expected. I wonder if Kader's bosses prefer to hear the truth or if Bachmann's management must make everything sound positive so as not to hurt the SLT's feelings.

A great set of accolades for Hornby, and well deserved. The little 0-4-0 industrial kettle is one of those rare models which just looks completely right, appeals across normal boundaries and creates a whole new niche of its own. That model realy is spectacularly "right" and taken with a lot of other fantastic releases and their turnaround in so many other areas I think they really did deserve this recognition. Which in no way belittles the tremendous efforts of the other manufacturers, all of whom served us well last year. Thankyou to all of them and best of luck for next year!

Marvellous news this year for Hornby but I'd bet Bachmann wins next year with its long awaited release of the Stanier 2-6-0 which I have had on pre-order for 4 years with another category winner. One gripe I have is that all the publicity surrounding various releases is wasteful and annoying as there have been many times recently where you simply can't buy one once they reach the shops as they are all spoken for by pre-orders. (My Stanier order  is my 1st and only pre-order but I will be putting one in for the Duchess.) As a case in point just try buying a Peckett this week!

When we look at steam engines, it has been small locos winning for the past couple of years. Last year the O2 took it despite having the NRM C1 and S15 in the same vote.

I therefore personally thought that this year was going to be a close run thing between the Peckett and the USA tank - despite having the larger B12 in there which I thought would score well. I was surprised to see 3 small tank engines at the top, and that the Hattons/DJM 14XX even pushed the USA tank into 3rd place and the B12 some way down.

2017 will see the Stanier Mogul and Original Merchant Navy. The latter I would have thought, should be odds on favourite for next years award. Then there is the Stirling Single due this year too. However I would not be surprised if the H class actually wins it in the end.

Likewise personally I thought the Great Western Bow ends would take the coach category, even though I myself actually voted for winning Maunsell LSWR rebuilds.

I agree with others above, that the "Best Layout" category needs to be broadened out.

Maybe next time there could be:

Best collaborative layout (including club layouts)

Best layout built by an individual

Best newcomer's layout (to include youngsters and others new to the hobby)

I did think of a category for the most number of layouts built in a year, but we all know who'd win that............

I would like to pass on my congratulations to all the winners.

It was also great news to see the accolades that Hornby received which should prove a real 'shot in the arm' for them & provide some impetus & momentum to build upon - well done them.

My interest is with 00 so in my opinion the APT-E deseveredly won it the Modern Traction Category & has raised the bar with what can be achieved with so called modern image. Peco has had their faith in prototypical railway track recognised & Liverpool Lime Street shows what can be achieved in model form.

A final note for guys at Bachamann. As stated previously, 2016 was predominately a year of consolidation. I for one still purchased quite a few of the 'blue boxes' & from the dialogue I have had with with fellow modellers Bachmann are still held very much in high regard. I am confident that they will be looking forward to 2017 with their plans already published.

All in all, it going to be exciting times ahead with new manufacturers also entering the market, new products still to be released from the top 4 & special retailers commissions . I for one am certainly looking forward to this.

As a user and supporter of warwickshirerailways.com I am not only pleased that it was nominated but also that it not do too badly given its focus is on one small (but very important) county.

What might be more useful than winning the category would be that other counties' citizens might be prompted to undertake a similar project for their particular area.

For those of us who like to build kits this is a disappointing competition.  It's no wonder RTR gets the glory, but many of the layouts do seem to figure scratch built or kit built models.  I am particularly thinking of Little Bytham whose collective group of contributors have assembled a huge array of real modelling skills.  Buying a blue or red box is easy by comparison.

Although I will never, never buy a Dapol Class 08, I do recognize the importance of this model (and others that are RTR) in bringing new modellers to Gauge O/7mm scale.  I will vote for Heljan next year if their Large Prairie lives up to expectations!

Archived