LMS 42ft CCT ends

Etched Pixels

Can anyone fill in the detail on the LMS 42ft CCT ends.

The drawings I have, the old ultima white metal ends and the old Skinley drawing show fairly standard looking heavy CCT style ends with a fold up lower section and clipped buffers. The picture in Jenkinson & Essery however shows a D1870 van with much smoother ends that seem devoid of any heavy framing and hefty external hingework.

There is a better drawing in 'Historic Carriage Drawings, vol 3 NPCS', Peter Tatlow, page 35. It has obviously been redrawn but it gives better detail of the ends. Contact me offline if you don’t have access to this book.

I also found this: http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p27217862.html

I know it's the wrong diagram.

Not being an expert on these things, but knowing you want to do away with the whitemetal ends and replace with brass etch, could I suggest you build it up in layers, similar to the way you have done the side doors on your SR Maunsell 51' bogie luggage van. It could comprises the blank end wall (as a part of the body etch), the two doors, the lower hinged ramp (that folds down over the buffers), the hinge strapping and the locking bar. It's just a thought.

Yes I've got 2mm white metal ends from the old Ultima range which match the Skinley drawing but trusting other models is a good way to perpetrate and continue errors so I'd really like to understand more about the ends and if there were multiple styles.

There is a better drawing in 'Historic Carriage Drawings, vol 3 NPCS', Peter Tatlow, page 35. It has obviously been redrawn but it gives better detail of the ends. Contact me offline if you don’t have access to this book.

I also found this: http://gallery6801.f.../p27217862.html

I know it's the wrong diagram.

Not being an expert on these things, but knowing you want to do away with the whitemetal ends and replace with brass etch, could I suggest you build it up in layers, similar to the way you have done the side doors on your SR Maunsell 51' bogie luggage van. It could comprises the blank end wall (as a part of the body etch), the two doors, the lower hinged ramp (that folds down over the buffers), the hinge strapping and the locking bar. It's just a thought.

Thanks - that image is actually very very helpful because it matches the Skinley drawing in terms of the position of the detail, but matches the other less clear shots in terms of profile. It looks like the white metal ends may be right but have far too much relief.

The test ends are indeed a blank end wall with an overlay for the locking bar etc and a second overlay for the ramp. I try and avoid having things like strapping as its own etch because in 2mm particularly they get very fine and tend to bend out of shape too easily, or catch and come off the model when handled. I shall have to see if I can find a copy of Tatlow.

Alan

ABS also do them, I believe- I would check, but I'm getting ready for work.

ABS did all of the casting for Mopok - John Senior was half of Mopok.

Paul

York

PS thanks to whoever for posting on my photo of the end - but if it is the 42ft. bogie van that is being then this is the prototype - the correct diagram! There are several detail photographs in the same collection.

Archived