I was rather bored at the weekend, so I supposed some weathering of wagons was in order. 

And I don't think they look half bad. Still need some couplings, but I can buy those in time. 

JPEG_20191118_180543.jpg

received_798697723893957.jpeg

• Like 14

27 minutes ago, AVS1998 said:

I was rather bored at the weekend, so I supposed some weathering of wagons was in order. 

And I don't think they look half bad. Still need some couplings, but I can buy those in time. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/JPEG_20191118_180543.jpg.449cc1c528cbff04915690a0572f49c2.jpg

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/received_798697723893957.jpeg.55dfd9f2641fd7f1e85bdb0ce7123539.jpeg

Very nice Alex. Interesting to see we've been thinking along the same lines of stuff to do this weekend.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Psstt.. you’ve missed one.

The grey SECR one is waiting for transfers, then I'll weather it :)

• Informative/Useful 1

Evening all!

Doing a little work on my Brighton 48' first (cough, Ratio, cough). 

Does anyone know what detailing the underfloor needs? I can't make out anything from photos online and obviously the Bluebell's carriage is in Southern condition with dynamos and whathaveyou. I'd like mine to be in 1915-30 condition (I'm imagining these vehicles wouldn't be electrified very quickly but I'm always happy to be better informed. 

Many thanks!

• Like 1

Hello again all!

Thanks to a rather tidy purchase from our resident, Corbs, I've acquired a Southern Railway/Drewry railcar, as was used on the Hythe/Appledore branch from around 1926. It came, presumably pre-primed, in yellow, which took the Maunsell livery very nicely. 

image.png.95f414435935f62e9ecee50c3d1ac6e4.png

Thus far, I think it looks very tidy but I probably should've spent more time finishing the sides and making an effort to make them smooth before painting. Never mind. I can either sand this colour back and go over it again, or hopefully, once some lining is applied, and weathering, it'll look a little less messy. 

The underframe also needs more paint, but it is a rather fiddly space to work in. 

On the roof, I've glued two new rainstrips as the ones which were designed into the print came out rather anaemic. 

In terms of livery, I couldn't find too much online, but as the model appears in this video, I think it looks gorgeous in a full coach-style livery and so I'll probably aim for that;

The interior oughtn't be too difficult, it's a simple layout so I can probably either use a plain strip of plasticard with some chairs on, or cut down a spare coach interior that looks suitable and create bulkheads for the driving compartments. Underneath this I'll glue some detailing parts from what I can suss from photos. Motorising will probably be done with a Pacer motor bogie fixed flush to the floor, and once weathered won't look *too* obvious. I've also got to fit coupling hooks and glazing, but all that 'fancy' detailing can come in due course.

There are a few photos online of it running with another railcar or possibly a small carriage, so I'm curious as to whether a four-wheel Stroudley or Chatham carriage may work, otherwise a Chatham van may work, too. Given Blackstone is set in winter, I don't imagine there'd be too much traffic, but the van may suffice for parcels during the day? I don't know... 

It's a quirky little thing, and I think it'll look quite nice on a shuttle between Blackstone Town and Appledore, or Blackstone and wherever you can get to from there. I probably should look at a route map again... 

• Like 9

Cute. Always had a soft spot for the Drewry, despite it being far outside my normal purview. Just something about it I really like.

• Agree 1

Evening all!

Some more work done on two of my C classes this evening, fitting some lamp irons and beginning to paint them up, as well as adding brake pipes to the buffer beams and deliberating how to fit buffers.

The first began initially in grey primer, and I had intended to leave it in SECR wartime livery, but I've opted to paint it into the first Southern goods livery instead. In hindsight, I ought to have set up a spray booth in the conservatory and used my airbrush instead of brush painting by hand, but I think the black came out fairly well. It just needs tiding up somewhat:

image.png.9b475148f14ece9d175863414f68a855.png

After a couple of coats of black, I opened up my Maunsell Olive and lined out the boiler bands and splashers. I'm unconvinced by the depth of colour on these, and may try a brighter green I have in my paintbox. These were tidied up with a fine lining brush and the same black as before, and the running plate received a green line down it, too. Obviously the buffer beams were turned out in red, the tin of which I think is rather muted but with weathering it isn't too much of an issue. The lamp irons are, as usual, half-cut staples which are rather large but for my purposes work just fine. If I want to replace them in time, I can. The valves on top of the boiler, and the brake cylinder on the right-hand side, were both fitted, the latter painted in black. I may leave the former in its brassy colour and weather it with some dirty white spirit, it ought to deposit some colour. 

I've yet to paint the cab interiors, though the backheads for each loco have been done, just picking out the piping in brass. More lamp irons are needed on each smokebox  but those can be done with a light touch of superglue after painting and handrails. 

The SECR example has had its running plate painted black, along with its smokebox, cab roof and parts of the tender (I'm not sure that this is realistic but it's easily fixed). I've got some T9 spare buffers from Hornby which appear to be suitable for a C class, but I could be wrong. Those should sit nicely on one of the locomotives, on the other, I'll either try to buy some new spares in time or figure out some other solution. The grey is looking very uneven and tired, and so will probably be painted over in time with a Humbrol grey paint. 

image.png.745743adf8d2703ca628a27c62955fb9.png

I know the filler needs sorting out a little more on this loco, and the paintwork tidying up, but that's a non-issue.

Otherwise, that's all my updates for the C classes for now. I do have a third floating around somewhere which I will probably turn out in black or grey again, I'm not sure which. 

It's got me thinking again about an O/O1 build, hopefully one of each, using the venerable Golden Arrow kit. 

The O build would see the superstructure above the footplate cut away and the boiler from the SE Finecast Stirling R kit used, with a spare Stirling cab I have floating around in my parts box. Or, the same cab and a brass tube used for the boiler, perhaps attempting to convert the resin smokebox present with the O1 kit. 

Overall I'm fairly happy with how my projects are coming on of late, I think my hand-painting skills and patience are improving greatly, which is always encouraging. 

I'll ask again if anyone has any idea what the Brighton 48' underfloor detail ought to look like, just on the off-chance. 

- Alex 

• Like 11

I’ve been looking through drawings, Alex, but drawn a blank on underframes detail for a 48’ coach. Billington was introducing electric lighting at that time, meaning large battery boxes, but were these still gas light? A photo looks like they were, and the gas tanks aren’t very prominent, tucked away fairly high up, possibly one either side of the brake cylinder in the middle. Otherwise the truss rods are quite shallow, and there’s a brake cylinder mounted centrally fore and aft with rods to each bogie.7FF1E1ED-FF3A-48C7-B111-25E40784413C.jpeg.7cfcfae9d0fcf61383b6dd03cfe43ffb.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

There are lots of detailed works drawings in the third volume of LBSCR carriages, by Ian White. If you need a quick fix then you can see some of the vital bits by viewing the thumbnails that the HRMS provide in their drawing catalogue, such as Drg 2238, First Class, 6 compartments, 48ft o/b

• Informative/Useful 3

On 25/11/2019 at 17:14, AVS1998 said:

Hello again all!

There are a few photos online of it running with another railcar or possibly a small carriage, so I'm curious as to whether a four-wheel Stroudley or Chatham carriage may work, otherwise a Chatham van may work, too. Given Blackstone is set in winter, I don't imagine there'd be too much traffic, but the van may suffice for parcels during the day? I don't know... 

The Drewry railcar was eventually sold to the Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Railway (part of the Colonel Stephens empire), which had previously bought a smaller Drewry railcar new.  They had a small lightweight trailer built to run with the Drewrys - I'd have thought even a 4-wheel ordinary carriage would be rather heavy for it to pull, even on a level line.  But no doubt Rule 1 applies!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, Tom Burnham said:

The Drewry railcar was eventually sold to the Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Railway (part of the Colonel Stephens empire), which had previously bought a smaller Drewry railcar new.  They had a small lightweight trailer built to run with the Drewrys - I'd have thought even a 4-wheel ordinary carriage would be rather heavy for it to pull, even on a level line.  But no doubt Rule 1 applies!

I knew it had been sold but I wasn't sure how it had operated when in Southern ownership. Perhaps you're right though, even a four wheel carriage may be too heavy for regular use. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Afternoon all!

I've been doing some more work on my two C classes this week, and I don't think they look too bad for the stage they're at. The SR livery one needs either more tidying up or a damned good weathering to hide my messes. 

IMG_20191130_143413.jpg.06b389fde91ad5074a2491b081d99f2d.jpg

I mixed the lining green myself from a lime/neon and Maunsell tinlet that needed using up. 

The black looks a little rough despite much refinishing. I'm hoping transfers and weathering will blend it all together. 

Moving onto the grey loco, it's had more areas touched in, but I definitely want to redo the grey. IMG_20191130_143511.jpg.9151ffdee9ae3c685afe597b33a0baed.jpg

Both have had their cab interiors painted in leather and detailing begun (though the grey needs a new cab floor). JPEG_20191129_164928.jpg.5e38c77f36c93fa0437096a2e3211cac.jpg

Stick around for part II... 

• Like 11

Righto, I'm on my laptop now, so hopefully ought to be able to upload more photos!

Part II sees us adding a bit of detail to the Brighton 48' first, with the alarm gear and underfloor equipment fitted (thanks to Gary for the diagram to follow, and those above for their guidance).

image.png.1c46a3a4dddfe25508a58f0b3bf60bf8.png

It could be tidier, but for my first carriage kit and attempts at this sort of detailing, I think it looks reasonable. 

image.png.40b19b614540d6df07680703e3b310ae.png

As we can see, there are two brake cylinders and two gas tanks fitted, with the trussing to be replaced (I made a dogs dinner of the truss framing that came with the kit). New bogies will come eventually, and the roof ventilators added in time. I'm not sure what happened with the chassis but it warped very badly. I think I've straightened it out to the best of my ability.

For something different, here's the Kitmaster Stirling tender being slowly converted to a SER Stirling tender. I don't think there's too much work to be done. The tank sides were sanded flush, and lamp irons added. I'd already cut out the coal and added a blank section of plastic card for new, real coal to fit in time. 

image.png.caa60769e020abd79a709de649faf714.png

The sides maybe need a little more work but otherwise I'm happy with how it's going so far. I won't bother trying to alter the front cut-out in the frames. Frame-top springs, as seen on the SER tenders, will be added eventually, probably in plastic, or I may look for white metal castings. Handrails down the sides of the tank will also make the tender appear more SER.

I'm not sure what I'll pair this tender with yet, we'll see what I can come up with in time. But it's a fun little thing to keep me occupied. 

- Alex 

• Like 8

Hi-de-hi! (Just putting it out there - I had a massive crush on Ruth Madoc in that show). 

I wasn't entirely happy with the finish on the Stirling tender sides, despite having spent easily another hour sanding them with progressively finer 'paper. So, my solution?

image.png.ff5f9f35be3b5d3dcc19b3a49118227d.png

Paper them! 

I cut some printer paper to size and PVA'd them on, then went over the tops with a little thinned PVA, too, to try to seal them down as much as possible. After that, using this drawing as a guide, I marked out the handrail knob positions and those for the springs, too. It seems like the rivets on the frames will be sufficient to leave alone. 

Interestingly, that same page says that some Os were paired with 8-wheel tenders - does anyone have any idea what one of these may look like? 

• Like 8

Just had a look through the RCTS book “Locos of the SER”, (1963), which is very good on a detailed description for the “O” class, and the only tender swaps they give are for eleven of the class during WW1, when labour was short, and some of the tenders were showing signs of their age. They had some off LCDR M 4-4-0s which were being withdrawn, this was a temporary measure, Stirling tenders getting changed later on in the 1920s. No mention of eight wheel tenders at any time.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hmm, I wonder if it's a typo then. I did fins it difficult to visualize! 

• Agree 1

Well, today was a learning curve. Package items properly. 

I sent a rather expensive item to a buyer, having wrapped it in bubble wrap, paper, and then a hard cardboard wrap around that, anticipating that it would be enough to keep the item intact (It was a record player). 

Alas, not. The case cracked, the 'table itself thankfully intact, but given it was meant to be a present... I'm just very embarrassed that I didn't take my usual due diligence and try to find a box big enough. 

Still, the item was insured and I will be claiming in the morning, so it isn't all bad. But even so, it's no less mortifying. This could perhaps be attributed to the buyer insisting he wanted the 'table shipped to him, despite my listing clearly stating that it was a collection only situation. I suppose I ought to have stood my ground, too, and stuck with my caveat emptor and 'collection only' particulars.

I'm especially disheartened as I usually pride myself on my saleswomanship and packaging, with all positive reviews on that Evil Auction Site. Hopefully I won't lose any merit from this unfortunate blip. 

Lessons learned. Let's move on. 

• Friendly/supportive 11