Thanks everyone- I'll keep the tidings for Saturday as my birthday isn't until then! It was just easier to do something yesterday with club because from this week we're gearing up for our exhibition.

Thank you all for the kind words though, it really means a lot.

• Like 1

Oh dear - I'd hoped not to be first on here but I have little choice given I'm going out training for the day!

Happy Birthday to Miss Alex! Hope you have a good one and that some nice things result from it! :D

Thank you everyone! My friend and I are enjoying a very nice day out in Faversham, the club-funded present has been bought (never had such palpitations handing over money before!) and it'll be photographed on the "demonstration line" (that glorious windowsill that will be dusted prior to demonstration, I promise!) when we're home.

I also may have had a lot of coffee. Wee bit wired. But enjoying my twenty first a lot so far. Thanks to everyone for your kind wishes :)

- Alex

• Like 5

Well, here we have it, everyone! Today I went on a jaunt to Faversham, to visit the Hobby Box model shop. There was a lot to look at, but not a lot caught my eye, bar the two (sadly, only two) birdcages in Southern livery. Hmm.

The Maunsells were a wee bit too much for my liking (£40!) and there were scant Southern Locomotives around.

But there.

There, lurking in the back left-hand corner. Is that a-? (Totally not paraphrasing one of my favourite childhood films there).

It was.

And it was intimidating but GORGEOUS. I had to have it. It may be a little big for Blackstone but hey, we'll rationalise it somehow, eh?

Ladies, gentleman, and those of you who do not fit the mould, I give you... Sir Francis Drake.

post-31208-0-43930300-1548540417_thumb.jpg

post-31208-0-80232100-1548540438_thumb.jpg

post-31208-0-90526200-1548540458_thumb.jpg

post-31208-0-78525100-1548540496_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Well, here we have it, everyone! Today I went on a jaunt to Faversham, to visit the Hobby Box model shop. There was a lot to look at, but not a lot caught my eye, bar the two (sadly, only two) birdcages in Southern livery. Hmm.

The Maunsells were a wee bit too much for my liking (£40!) and there were scant Southern Locomotives around.

But there.

There, lurking in the back left-hand corner. Is that a-? (Totally not paraphrasing one of my favourite childhood films there).

It was.

And it was intimidating but GORGEOUS. I had to have it. It may be a little big for Blackstone but hey, we'll rationalise it somehow, eh?

Ladies, gentleman, and those of you who do not fit the mould, I give you... Sir Francis Drake.

Rule No 1 applied I think!

Happy birthday Alex.

Well, quite :) Rule one dictates that on a long-winded Folkestone train, somehow, a Lord Nelson made it to Blackstone (even if it is a Nine Elms shedded vehicle!).

I need to buy a new DCC chip, the one I had in store has gone home. Trying to fit the blasted thing was fiddly. The wires for the pickups on the tender bogies are mighty fine and don't feed through their hole very easily in the floor, and the rear bogie must be removed to drop the floor out in the first instance. Huff. Still, at least it's an eight-pin decoder. Easy enough!

• Like 3
  • AVS1998 changed the title to Alex's 'bench- Southern and Constituents, Kent/Sussex, 1914-1930