We are aware of the intermittent site speed issues at the moment. Please be patient and don't repeatedly click things as that compounds the issue.

Hmm.

I trialled the Parkside vents on the corridor side of the coach. I'm not a fan. They look too lumpy.

However, I have discovered that I can procure, from Phoenix/Southern Rail Group Sales, Maunsell door vents after all! What a relief. The only pain is they prefer cheque or cash at a show, which obviously is difficult for me as I neither have a chequebook nor attend shows all that often. 

Perhaps I'll send cash and a prepaid envelope... 

For an illustration of the vents in question, see here

Furthermore, the history of the vehicle appears to be even more complex!

The Maunsell low-window R4 Corridor Firsts were 7208-7227, 7665-7674. 7665-67 were initially formed in Set 469 and 7671-74 in set 470; 7668-70 were for the Newhaven Boat set. All the others were 'loose'. 7666/67 were released to 'loose' from 469 and 7671-74 from 470 in 1933.

FKs 7218 and 7219 were formed in sets 206 and 207 in 1931; 7211-7213, 7215 and 7225 were formed in sets 244-247 and 430 in 1933; 7216 and 7222 were formed in sets 248 and 327 in 1936. All these 'new' sets were otherwise formed of high-window stock. 7227 was condemned with fire damage, 8/36.

If you are going to use them for the R1 equivalents then there were only 8 of those, 7390-97. All of them were formed into sets 465/66 (4 in each, in order). 7392 and 7395/96 were 'loose' in 1933, having been released from the sets they were originally allocated to.

(Talisman56, 24/05/19, here.) 

So... I think I'm safe to either use it as an R4 loose vehicle, given that it appears the SECR had a maximum loading gauge of 9' (according to devboats). 

1413569631_secrloadinggauge.jpg.6df698306223df0dd57bb24cbf0f2dfa.jpg

And for comparison; 

965624821_lbscrloadinggauge.jpg.e5ac4d82d52808fb4620e52bc8313424.jpg

I know through Winchelsea the Marshlink route is restricted to R1, however, I'm unsure about Appledore, which leaves the option open... Potentially. 

Perhaps it's a loose corridor first (R4) that's been drafted in from somewhere because there's nothing else available. Regardless, it's an interesting kit to test out my skills on, and I'm enjoying it. The roof needs new strips soon, so I imagine I'll fit those first then the ventilators. 

Coming along rather nicely!

- Alex 

~ Bibliography ~

GWR Information [web] (2018): Historical Loading Gauges.

pete_mcfarlane [RMWeb] (2011): Some Maunsell coaches and a GWR Diagram C.54.

Phoenix/Southern Railway Group [web] (2018): Price List and Items.
Talisman56 [RMWeb] (2019): Southern Maunsell Coaching Stock Discussion.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

• 5 weeks later...

Well, as some of you knew, I was due in hospital today for a major operation. 

Sadly, my heart condition has got in the way and I'm being discharged prematurely with further investigation warranted with a cardiologist. 

Never mind, these things happen. 

• Friendly/supportive 19

Evening all!

I was wondering if anyone had any diagrams, or knew where I could get access to, for the Barnum and Bailey circus train passenger cars? I'm having a recurring naughty inspired frankencarriage nightmare and I'm curious as to how viable it would be... 

I know I can find them in Model Railway Constructor, April through July '86 iirc, but it's worth asking regardless!

Edited by AVS1998
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Nothing to do with circus trains, but I happened to be on the platform at Victoria the other morning as the Orient set pulled out, the bulk of the coaches were nice new postwar stuff, but there was one of the old prewar coaches in. My god! the number of rivets there are on the roof, I’ve never noticed them before. Anyhow, keep taking the tablets.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

26 minutes ago, uax6 said:

I have them scanned from those articles...

Andy G

Ooh, might I be cheeky and ask if you could PM them over please? :)

12 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Nothing to do with circus trains, but I happened to be on the platform at Victoria the other morning as the Orient set pulled out, the bulk of the coaches were nice new postwar stuff, but there was one of the old prewar coaches in. My god! the number of rivets there are on the roof, I’ve never noticed them before. Anyhow, keep taking the tablets.

Aye, the pre-war cars (I'm assuming you mean the Orient Express set?) have a heavy peppering of rivets holding all the furniture in place - I think welding was a technique picked up in the late '20s to have a more modern, streamlined look for the Queen of Scots. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

Good news everyone!

I got my degree results today and I can proudly say I am graduating with a 2:1! I did far better than I expected and I'm pleased with my overall degree but I wish in some areas I had tried harder.

Never mind, it's all done with now and I am hopefully entering the "real" world sometime soon!

Well done! Likewise, just got my degree classification back this week. Just glad it's over... And somehow I still don't have enough free time for modelling!

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

12 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

Well done! Likewise, just got my degree classification back this week. Just glad it's over... And somehow I still don't have enough free time for modelling!

I know that feeling, I'm trying to clear the house, sell things and pack for this impending house move... Hurray? 

Hopefully time will pop up sometime soon though!

• Friendly/supportive 5

Congratulations Alex.  I know the feeling.  I graduated on the 29th June* and we're having our year's 50th anniversary reunion this September.

Jim

* That was 29th June 1969!

Edited by Caley Jim
Edit for typo (as usual!)
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

Never mind, it's all done with now and I am hopefully entering the "real" world sometime soon!

Nothing is real, time is a construct, the earth is flat and life is some sort of lucid fever dream.

Oh, except the Southern Railway, that's real.

(Congratulations)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• AVS1998 changed the title to Alex's 'bench- Southern and Constituents, Kent/Sussex, 1914-1930