• RMweb Gold

Well done, Alex! One key item off life's endless list! Now you can relax and sort out health issues, because you have a very decent quali to your name, and can expect to have a worthwhile career. 

• Agree 2

Congratulations, Alex!

I hope your house move goes well and that your health problems are sorted soon.

Oh, and you get a decent job that you enjoy, too!

Cheers,

John.

• Agree 3
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, AVS1998 said:

Help. 

You need somebody? Not just anybody? No, you need someone...

4 minutes ago, AVS1998 said:

It's too bloody hot. 

It is that.

• Agree 1
59 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Just enjoy it while it’s here. It’s shocking how fast summer slips by.

I think the problem is that it's too hot to enjoy it! I feel Alex's pain and it's substantially cooler where I am.

16 minutes ago, Annie said:

Now that is really strange because your Summer is past the point temperature wise of what we usually get here in New Zealand in the Waikato.

Curse you climate change!

20190725_193502.jpg.d6bd358908389bd22aa9174ab77c96f1.jpg

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
Found the image I wanted to use
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I was enjoying it until I noticed I was the only one who seemed to be sweating. 

I've noticed this about other women, especially my age - they look perpetually pretty and don't perspire. It's weird. 

still, I was grateful I didn't wear makeup today - seeing my face in a pool on the floor isn't quite the entertainment I wanted! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5
7 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Wow - you mean to say that temperatures are above 10 North of Watford Gap?! :O

( :P )

So much so that tomorrow I'm heading over the moors to get my heights wuthered.

• Funny 2

You're a bit out of the way for that, aren't you? A long way from Midland Territory, at any rate, though you have rather nicer moors (in my opinion) than West Bronteshire.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sem34090 said:

You're a bit out of the way for that, aren't you? A long way from Midland Territory, at any rate, though you have rather nicer moors (in my opinion) than West Bronteshire.

moors are moors, cold, bleak, and covered in sheep sh1t

• Funny 2
  • RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

I was enjoying it until I noticed I was the only one who seemed to be sweating. 

I've noticed this about other women, especially my age - they look perpetually pretty and don't perspire. It's weird. 

Ahem. Horses sweat, men perspire, and ladies gently glow. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • 1 month later...

Evening all, quick question;

Does anyone know which set the LSWR carriage 1296 belonged to? Fairly certain it's a 48' or possibly a 50' (did the LSW have 50?) vehicle, a brake third or composite, with look-outs at the very end. I only ask as Ashford Museum has a photo of this vehicle at Ashford on a Kent Coast service in summer 1925, hauled by a South Eastern B1, and I'm considering adding the coach set to the ever-so-long list of coaches for Blackstone. 

Many thanks in advance!

Alex. 

(I have tried the local library, by the way, but it's not wholly useful. Though I have gleaned some useful things along the way.) 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

Evening all, quick question;

Does anyone know which set the LSWR carriage 1296 belonged to? Fairly certain it's a 48' or possibly a 50' (did the LSW have 50?) vehicle, a brake third or composite, with look-outs at the very end. I only ask as Ashford Museum has a photo of this vehicle at Ashford on a Kent Coast service in summer 1925, hauled by a South Eastern B1, and I'm considering adding the coach set to the ever-so-long list of coaches for Blackstone. 

Many thanks in advance!

Alex. 

(I have tried the local library, by the way, but it's not wholly useful. Though I have gleaned some useful things along the way.) 

LSWR No.1296 was a 51' Brake Third to drawing 1129 built in 1903.  It did, indeed, have look outs at the ends.

These were designed to run in 4-coach block sets, of which 145 were produced. Lists linking coach numbers to set numbers in SW days do not exist, but we do have the SR set nos.

SR Set No,200 comprised the following (SR numbers in parenthesis):

51' Brake Thirds, drwg 1129, Nos. 1295 (2780) and 1296 (2781)

51' Composite, drwg 1127, No.2980 (4959)

49' Tri-Composite, drwg 1128, No.2979 (4894)

They were converted for use in electric sets by the SR in 1928.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Interesting - I had contemplated some SW coaches for Odiham, but now it would seem that if I pick my set carefully I could gain an extra set for Blackstone West. Although Third Rail has been laid on both, I intend to also run the layouts on the verge of electrification, with the rail in place but theoretically not yet energised. 

Incidentally, where did you get those set numbers from, James?

1 hour ago, sem34090 said:

Interesting - I had contemplated some SW coaches for Odiham, but now it would seem that if I pick my set carefully I could gain an extra set for Blackstone West. Although Third Rail has been laid on both, I intend to also run the layouts on the verge of electrification, with the rail in place but theoretically not yet energised. 

Incidentally, where did you get those set numbers from, James?

Weddell vol.2

Armed with one coach no., and knowing the generic composite of the block sets, it was easy to go through the appendix and match the other coaches to set 200.

Now this set was not converted to electric stock, as I say, until 1928.  If you are also interested in electric stock, 63 out of the 145 block sets were converted to electric stock (in 3-sets, IIRC) c.1915.  Not really something I'm up on, but can look it up

• Informative/Useful 1

Fantastic James, thank you. 

The photo in question has the train heading towards Ramsgate via Canterbury West, so I'm imagining it's a stopping service? It was captioned but I can't find my photo of the photo (taken with permission for personal use only). 

Still, another set to add to the roster and one which will add variety from the typical Brighton and Chatham stock. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • AVS1998 changed the title to Alex's 'bench- Southern and Constituents, Kent/Sussex, 1914-1930