BRM Spring 2017

SteveCole

• Administrators

I am a new subscriber to BRM and use a Mac computer. When I tried to read the attached DVD the computer after a short pause, spat it out.

Please can anyone suggest how I can overcome this problem?

Is this still happening? We've not been told of any other issues. Let me know and I'll happily send a replacement.

• Administrators

Here are a couple of pictures of our lead layout, Hope-Under-Dinmore (EM): a layout that reimagines a junction on the Shrewsbury to Hereford line, recreating a real village that never had a station.

What do you think? BRM Spring is on-sale in UK shops now, or can be downloaded as a Digital Edition

post-14186-0-88868700-1488795125_thumb.gif

post-14186-0-48354000-1488795133_thumb.gif

Can I just ask what makes the difference if getting it before it's on the shelf ?

I just like the fact I don't have to go out the door and buy it

Traditionally it gave the loyal subscribers the first bite of the cherry for the private classified adverts. (no eBay back then)

Ed

• Administrators

Traditionally it gave the loyal subscribers the first bite of the cherry for the private classified adverts. (no eBay back then)

Ed

I do think that subscribers deserve to get the magazine before it goes on-sale in shops. I know there's no real advantage (r.e. classified etc), but it's one of the benefits of being a loyal subscriber.

Here are a couple of pictures of our lead layout, Hope-Under-Dinmore (EM): a layout that reimagines a junction on the Shrewsbury to Hereford line, recreating a real village that never had a station.

Probably shouldn't say it on here but I haven't bought BRM for years. I think I might make an exception this month, looking at that layout. I wonder why more people don't model that time period. It is so visually appealing when done well.

• Administrators

Here are a couple of pictures of Forest Gate Parkway that appears in BRM Spring - on-sale now! It's available in UK shops or as a Digital Edition download.

A change of job rekindled Graham Mann's passion for modelling, culminating in the creation of this tribute to the present railway scene.

post-14186-0-30136900-1488816731.gif

post-14186-0-62904400-1488816744.gif

You can also watch our short DVD preview. Remember, the 30+ minute video footage is also included within the Digital Edition, together with extra imagery.

What do you think? BRM Spring is on-sale in UK shops now, or can be downloaded as a Digital Edition

attachicon.gifHUD1.gif

Excellent location, layout and image wonderfully captured but what irks is a loco in 1930's livery passing a loco in pre-1908 livery?  Should the Duke (also on the front cover) not have a brass dome and safety valve too on a "pre-grouping" layout?

Re the above picture I felt it was a shame that there was not a photograph of the model from the "outside" showing the exactly where the mirror was as there was very little mention of its placement in the text. Was this an article of the layout build or was it just the build of the canopy. The modelling was excellent as were the photos, but after reading the article I felt a little disappointed as a photo of the mirror and some text about would have helped those who wish to employ a similar feature on their layouts.

• RMweb Gold

Re the above picture I felt it was a shame that there was not a photograph of the model from the "outside" showing the exactly where the mirror was as there was very little mention of its placement in the text. Was this an article of the layout build or was it just the build of the canopy. The modelling was excellent as were the photos, but after reading the article I felt a little disappointed as a photo of the mirror and some text about would have helped those who wish to employ a similar feature on their layouts.

I don't know if this is any help but, if you look closely at the photos in the article, it's possible to work out the mirror placement.

You can safely assume that the mirror is at a right angle to the track - and that the stock will have been posed with the end of one carriage resting against the mirror. The photo at the top of page 44 gives the game away - how many buffet cars are in a typical HST set - and what are the chances of having 2 of them, back to back in the same set, facing in opposite directions?

Edit:  This is actually based on an old idea, very well executed - and this is definitely one of the best examples of the breed.

In the past, I've seen variants of this concept in a number of articles in Model Railroader - some had mirrors hidden under bridges - while another one formed the basis of a car dealership model (with the cars being painted different colours on either side / end - and the tops of the cars hidden from the view of just about anyone looking at the front of the layout). Although good, none of the ones I've seen in other articles were anywhere near as good as the one in this issue of BRM.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps it is even worse than I thought when the article has an inset to explain the meaning of pre-grouping. :(

Isn't that what our German friends call "Epoch I"?

Seriously though, as I was born in the mid sixties, I can't remember anything about UK mainline railways prior to the "rail blue" era.

Huw.

• Administrators

I suspect that readers tend to look at the thread after they have bought the magazine to see what others have said about it.

Chris

Or, they look at this thread before deciding whether to buy the magazine (or not)...

• RMweb Gold

I suspect that readers tend to look at the thread after they have bought the magazine to see what others have said about it.

... and to pass judgment on it for themselves.

However, if magazines appear in the dreaded bags, some people might also look at threads to try and work out if they want to buy the current issue.

Edit:  Sorry about the duplicated comment - I was typing my reply while Steve was posting his.

Huw.

No ones mentioned the main benefit of subscribing is that its also cheaper. Being a couple of days late twice hasn't put me off. Id love to keep seeing pregrouping layouts too. Something different from a modern TMD on an.8x2 board or a GW branch line. Maybe I should build one instead of moaning!

Another good issue.

The main reasons for subscribing are the cost savings, and not having to go searching for it in the shops! getting it ahead of being in the shops is a nice bonus as well.

The DVD this month was pretty good, always liked the Leamington club (been there on several occasions for the MERG meetings held there). The only thing that spoilt the DVD is the music, was it really needed? felt it distracting.

In contrast, the music on Howard's water feature was a lot less distracting.

Kelly makes a very good point about the music on the DVD.  I admit to being more easily irritated as I age but even so the choice of music accompanying the Clarendon footage was baffling.  A slowed-down version of the William Tell Overture is hardly the evocation of stately progress that seemed to be required!  This gripe aside, I was pleased to see a little more than 30 minutes of screen time as recent issues have been notably stingy in that respect.

Chris 

bought a copy, but only because I could look before I bought.

The articles about laser cutting interested me, but for all the scale correctness(?) by some, it still seems OK to borrow from HO . I was wondering about the brickwork on the Park Cottage Hotel building, so found it on Google Map. Only one wall seems to be brick, maybe that is recent, but it is lower half at one end. All other walls look like they are cement rendered which iswhat  would expect for this age of building. On closer inspection, it is not that obvious, part of the back of building (presumably newer build), is brick, but can not work out the actual bond in photo(unlikely to be stretcher bond unless it is a very new extension). Still a nice model, but not as correct as it could be.

I am sure there would be a lot of negative comments if similar 'errors' were done on model locos, oh forgot, the gauge is wrong on OO, but most accept it, some don't even realise it is wrong. I am broad minded, and accept that OO is not correct, as some of the models are so nice,but am also modelling in HO.

Some interesting points made in article about ScaleModelScenery.com, about what customers expect, with respect to only buying what they can actually handle.

I am sure the tail piece article might stir some, but can't see anything positive with respect to the hobby and the B word, except that prices will increase and people will still buy them  As price will properly reflect the quality, they will make processes like 3D printing look more affordable for more people. Hopefully more will actually get into model making, instead of just collecting as well.

And again, there is a need to better proof read before publication, as that OO/EM mistake is quite amusing.

Archived