BRM Spring 2017

SteveCole

• RMweb Gold

Kelly makes a very good point about the music on the DVD.  I admit to being more easily irritated as I age but even so the choice of music accompanying the Clarendon footage was baffling.  A slowed-down version of the William Tell Overture is hardly the evocation of stately progress that seemed to be required!  This gripe aside, I was pleased to see a little more than 30 minutes of screen time as recent issues have been notably stingy in that respect.

To think that they might have been about to use Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" at full volume ... well, they might ... .

Either that or the second Allegretto from Janacek's "Sinfonietta", otherwise known as the opening sig tune on the 70's TV programme "Crown Court".

Still, it could have been much worse. They could have used Mozart's K522 "Divertimento for two horns and a string quartet" - aka "Ein musikalischer Spaß" - in particular, they could have used the last movement, known to millions as the "Horse of the Year" theme.

Joking aside, I don't have a problem with decent music - as long as it's appropriate and at a suitable volume etc.

Certainly though, intrusive / unsuitable music seems to be a recurring theme of complaints to TV networks - and often seems to get a starring role on "Points of View" type programmes.

Huw.

Are you sure about the photo (#2) caption on page 64 that states the coaches are early Farish Mk1s?

IIRC the early Farish Mk1s had window strip inlays that gave a very good flush glazed effect. Later they were 'upgraded' with one piece clear plastic mouldings with the livery printed on and latterly by Bachmann to their 'Blue Riband' standard. Those pictured look more like Minitrix or Lima coaches.

G. 

• Administrators

The articles about laser cutting interested me, but for all the scale correctness(?) by some, it still seems OK to borrow from HO . I was wondering about the brickwork on the Park Cottage Hotel building, so found it on Google Map. Only one wall seems to be brick, maybe that is recent, but it is lower half at one end. All other walls look like they are cement rendered which iswhat  would expect for this age of building. On closer inspection, it is not that obvious, part of the back of building (presumably newer build), is brick, but can not work out the actual bond in photo(unlikely to be stretcher bond unless it is a very new extension). Still a nice model, but not as correct as it could be.

The back of the prototype has been altered quite considerably, in fact the builders were in again when I visited. The only way to have it "as correct as it could be" would be to keep changing the model, unless you do what the designer did, pick a date and go with that. The current owners seemed to think it was spot on when I showed them the model.

• RMweb Gold

The back of the prototype has been altered quite considerably, in fact the builders were in again when I visited. The only way to have it "as correct as it could be" would be to keep changing the model, unless you do what the designer did, pick a date and go with that. The current owners seemed to think it was spot on when I showed them the model.

You could probably make similar comments about many buildings.

The same goes for a lot of trains - and road vehicles as well, while I think of it.

I can think of a number of transport museums that make a point of preserving / conserving their exhibits as they were on the day they were withdrawn (albeit sometimes repaired).

When vehicles (road or railway) are in service, they get modified a lot  - apart from the difficulty of sourcing authentic parts to return them to original condition, removing the mods would also destroy a lot of "history" - in other words, there's a conflict between restoration and conservation.

Huw.

If you look on Google map, the main walls look cement rendered at front. does not look newly done, unless it has bee cleverly made to look like that. Often easy to miss the obvious detail.Given you make the point about ends of card being different colour,I  Iooked closer. It does seem odd that the designers made all the walls brick, and if that was the original brick , it would almost certainlynot be stretcher bond. Phil, you have made the same point on old Airfix/Dapol kits. I just find it odd that so many models do not depict the brick bond correctly, when some do not. Even for laser cutting, it might be the easy option, but I have talked to people who have done it correctly. Given te price of the kit I would expect little things like tis tobe done more correctly.

• RMweb Premium

Re the above picture I felt it was a shame that there was not a photograph of the model from the "outside" showing the exactly where the mirror was as there was very little mention of its placement in the text. Was this an article of the layout build or was it just the build of the canopy. The modelling was excellent as were the photos, but after reading the article I felt a little disappointed as a photo of the mirror and some text about would have helped those who wish to employ a similar feature on their layouts.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/810/entry-16311-an-overall-victorian-station-roof-from-galvanised-wire/

Hi Westerner

Thanks for the kind comments. Please go to my RMweb blog at the above link to find out about the mirror and build in detail.

Regards,

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Loved Forest Gateway, excellent photography of an excellent layout, Step 7 on page 79 made me laugh (I work in property..). I would love to read more about the station building and how it was built, plus more photos of it.

I would love to read more about the station building and how it was built, plus more photos of it.

Here's a few extra pics.

Detail4.jpg

Detail5.jpg

Detail6.jpg

Unfortunately I only had the time to take one snap but the precursor to Forest Gate Parkway was Graham's action-packed 8' x 4' oval; now a roundy-roundy 'train set' may not set my heart fluttering but I'll happily acknowledge that it's probably the best executed example of its sort I have seen. Twin track oval, suburban terminus, parcels depot, goods yard, TMD, oil siding and wagon works in 32 sq.ft!

Graham_Mann_Train_Set.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived