Piko Expert Vectron opinions

jjb1970

• RMweb Premium

Has anybody got a first hand opinion of the Piko Vectron model please? They offer quite a nice Italian version which I'm tempted by. I have a Piko Expert Br103 with skirt and diamond pantograph which is excellent and which stands comparison with more expensive alternatives but I've never seen the Vectron model in the flesh.

Hi.

I have the MRCE version with an ESU sound chip, the model runs smooth as silk and is finished to a high standard, If I

wanted to be critical the buffer beam detail is a little lite however I soon fitted some pipe work an a screw link

coupling. On balance I am very pleased with the loco (my first piko loco) considering the price and won't hesitate to

buy piko again.

Craig.

• RMweb Premium

I must admit, while the engineer and bean counter in me applauds the standardisation and product quality & performance of the modern platforms the enthusiast in me misses the old times when trains had a unique national identity. For example you don't have to be a great enthusiast of French trains to admire the work of the great Paul Arzens, or a lover of DB to appreciate just what an iconic design the Br103 was. You can have the same feelings for any of the European railways. I like Italian railways, others may not like the articulated electrics, isabella liveries etc but there is no doubt that FS had a unique identity. However progress is progress and it would be silly to deny the compelling case for platforms like Traxx and Vectron. And for all that I do like the modern designs.

If you're not in a hurry or on a tight budget it might be worth holding out for the Roco Vectron when it comes out later this year (MRCE is one of the launch liveries I believe). For me the Piko model is let down by the pantographs and the buffer beam, not so much of a problem if you pick one up cheap but the RRP is too high for the quality IMO.

It'll be interesting to see how their ÖBB 1010/1110 stacks up against the Roco models, but this is from the 'Expert' range where as the Vectron I believe is from the 'Hobby' range.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that, I agree that it is probably worth waiting for the Roco version to see if that one is the one to buy. I'd expect the Roco version to be better but the Piko one seems to be nicely done and depending on price may offer better value if considering both price and model quality, detail etc. My only experience of the newer Piko models is their 103 and I think that is a genuinely excellent model.

Hi.

Piko's Vectron is a expert range model. I picked mine up for £99.95 from scograil. I did ask them to install a ESU sound decoder. All in all I am very happy with the model. It isn't a problem to fit buffer beam detail, I have used ACME items on this occasion which are far better than ROCO buffer beam parts. If the pans great which with me they don't you can soon replace them. The bogie detail is as good as it gets and

as previously stated runs like silk with pulling power to match.

This model is available now, how long will the wait be for the ROCO version and the price will be something like £160/190, £220 plus for the

sound version.

This loco is my first piko purchase and I do admit to spending some time deciding wether to go for it or not, as posted previously I also did

have reservations as to its integrity however once the model was in my hands all my concerns evaporated.

As always you pays your money and takes your choice I did and am quit happy.

Craig.

• RMweb Premium

Well I took the plunge and am happy I did. I'd agree with duff man's opinion, the model is very well done, finished to a high standard and a very sweet runner. The Fuori Muro livery is typical of some of the more anodyne modern European liveries but it is inoffensive and well applied to the model. The rather basic buffer beam is a rather odd lapse on an otherwise superb model, but most of us have enough spare details from other models to address this easily enough. I think this Vectron is uncannily similar to the Br103 in a way, both run beautifully, are very well finished and all around very well done except for basic buffer beams, does Piko have some sort of objection to buffer beams? I cannot stress enough, these are not budget "railroad" type models, they're superb full fat models with oddly basic buffer beams. Strange. However, despite that I'd recommend them without hesitation to anybody else tempted.

Hi jjb1970.

I am very pleased to here you have taken the plunge and you are happy with your Vectron, that makes 2 of us.

If you can get your hands on some ACME pipes and screw coupling they are ready painted and look brilliant.

all the best with your new arrival.

Craig.

One small further point, I usually fit a driver however there is some silver foil behind the bulkhead which looks as though it's doing

something so I have held of for now. When you have removed your body have a look and let me know what you think?.

Thanks

Craig.

• RMweb Premium

I'll have a look when I get time. At the moment it's awaiting a buffer beam detail pack transplant. I think Piko still suffer from a residual image of being a bit basic and low rent which their expert models in particular really do not deserve.

I think the main issue is separating classic form hobby in your own mind. I have had a look at both closely and would not buy a hobby range

item unless I am going to spend time improving it, visually the running gear is identical. Once again when you can pick up a hobby Hercules

for less than £50 brand new to some in particular the younger customer is a very strong selling point, so we have the choice which is good for

us and the trade. Hats off to Piko for giving us the options.

If others feel as though Piko is a low rent product and don't want to enlighten themselves and spend more for there collections that's up to

them. When you put a Piko classic loco on any layout alongside another manufacturers loco and see them running you would be hard pressed

to argue the case against Piko.

Just my personal thoughts.

Craig.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I bought a Piko Expert DR BR 118.4 on EBay last week, I have the older Gutzold model but when I saw an “as new” one going for a good price I couldn’t resist. This is another excellent Piko model which looks far better than you might expect for a modestly priced model. The mechanism is superb, it is very smooth, quiet and powerful. The paint finish is excellent and although the detail is mainly moulded it is extremely well done and demonstrates that is well done there is nothing wrong with moulded detail. Some of the side grills are superbly done and look as effective as similar efforts using etched brass. The bogies are excellent. As with some other Piko Expert models the only slightly odd omission is buffer beam detail but that is easy enough to fix. The more I see of Piko the more I like their products, they really seem to have found a nice sweet spot in terms of offering excellent models at a good price point, they seem to have found the elusive design cleverness that Hornby tried to find not so long ago in terms of providing convincing appearance and good detail whilst minimising complex and expensive separate parts.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

By way of comparison I just got a Trix model of a  Railpool liveried Vectron. Compared to the Piko model the big difference is the metal body of the Trix model (it is also a different variant compared to the Italian DC version) which gives it a different feel. The level of detail is very similar, the Trix model is from their entry level range but despite this it is very nicely detailed and certainly does not feel or look like a second tier product. Running quality is pretty much the same for both of them, both are beautifully smooth and quiet. The Trix has a slightly nicer finish I think, but that is more a compliment for the Trix model than a criticism of the Piko model. Both capture the shape and overall look of the prototype very well. Interestingly given where you might expect Trix models to sit pricewise compared to Piko the Trix model was cheaper. Given the slightly lower price and metal body I'd rate the Trix model as the better buy but both models are excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Piko have brought out a revised Vectron with much nicer pantographs and more detailed wheels, both of which are available as spares to retrofit to older models. Presumably they are pre-emptively trying to keep it competitive (which it will) against the Roco model due for release later this year.

.....The more I see of Piko the more I like their products, they really seem to have found a nice sweet spot in terms of offering excellent models at a good price point, they seem to have found the elusive design cleverness that Hornby tried to find not so long ago in terms of providing convincing appearance and good detail whilst minimising complex and expensive separate parts.

Piko (and Gutzold) have come a long way since DDR days - so far, in fact, that according to one Piko repair agent it seems they are ceasing or have ceased to provide spares for some models produced during that era.

I have just the two Piko ex-DR Doppelstock coaches, but both look the business in DB-Regio colours and seem to fit well behind Roco's 18.201 or the Reko 01.5. Rewheeling with P87-profile wheels looks like child's play too.

• RMweb Premium

I'll be interested to see the Roco Vectron. I think that the Piko and Trix models are both good enough that no matter how good the Roco model is they'll still be competitive models and if the Roco model is expensive then I suspect a lot of people might be happy to take the cheaper alternatives given that they're still very good.