Southern Railway Modelling - Miscellaneous Project work

Jack P

Precision Paints are selling Kirk Bulleids for £25 - BTK ref 8876 & CK 8877.  Also Maunsell Restaurant cars if you can't wait for Hornby's!  They also sell sides only for £2.50 each and various other individual parts.

Cheers Chris! Will order 2 in due course and complete my set! Should really get around to numbering my LSWR rebuilds.. wonder if i'll finish this whole set before that happens? 

As you are now muttering about shiny yellow metal (brass) you shouldn't have any problems with Bulleid coaches, as the other drawings in your message box will reveal.

Thanks so much for the message(s) I am currently in the midst of replying to them! As for the mutterings about brass, how about my musings of moving to P4...? they are largely in my head at this stage but i'm looking at buying a small bit of track and a wagon to see how I go.

Jack,

There are pro's and con's when you jump into P4 or to a lesser extent EM. I have nothing against either, although I wouldn't do either personally. SImply because I have always built medium to large size layouts desiring full length trains, and I only have one lifetime !

My layout Basingstoke being 85ft by 22ft 9in, with 201 points, would probably take me literally 20 years to complete in P4.

Edited by 71000
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just joined the group (am just testing the OO gauge waters) and finished a first read of this thread; fascinating stuff.

Thanks for sharing your skill and knowledge...

Mark in Oregon

Thank you kindly Mark! I'm not sure about skills and knowledge - Lots of the information and know how comes from other people, 71000 contributes almost as much as I do!

A quick update: 

med_gallery_14876_4179_1245184.jpg

Will post a more in depth update tonight to bring everyone up to speed!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Smashing thread, great reading, lovely modelling.

What more could one want.

Rob.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 09/02/2018 at 20:41, nhy581 said:

Smashing thread, great reading, lovely modelling.

What more could one want.

Rob.

Thank you kindly Rob! I would like to think I'm getting better - Slowly slowly!

I've been doing a few small things recently, Don't feel like I've got anywhere enough done though!

I ended up removing the number on my re-numbered composite coach and applying it slightly further inboard than it was

25069901517_1b24a43656_b.jpg

I did say small things!

39230995924_e8e195e984_b.jpg

I also managed to get transfers for the WD, Replacement motor still hasn't arrived. but at least it looks the part now. I also fitted a crew to the WD, and while I was at it, I also removed one of the Cab doors, from the USA tank, and fitted a crew in there too, bit of a tight squeeze though!

39909256742_902cebfc83_b.jpg

39941528121_ff7623fa16_b.jpg

I also gave 900 Eton a bit of a facelift, PDK Lemaître Chimney and a SR 3 Loop screw coupling which was partially built from a Hornby coupling and the RT etched fret

39216029395_fda206a1bf_b.jpg

It's currently in the paint shop. Here's the freshly weathered Blackmore Vale

39909230432_6db7606837_b.jpg

It is a bit of a shame that I got her to this point, because she'll need to be repainted!

Finally, My Z class Kit arrived from GAP. Which required a fair bit of filler in some of the holes. The front steps were damaged, so I used some strips of plastikard to rebuild them. I also fitted the lip under the smokebox on the saddle. The rear cab plate was quite badly out of shape, so I cut it out and made another from plasikard.

I made a start on reforming the cylinder covers to try and get them to be more accurate to the prototype profile. I also cut the cab doors out and fitted the handrail knobs, washout plugs and safety valves. I am currently working on cab handrails and getting the rear cab spectacles cut out. I also sanded down the rear buffer beam and removed the footplate lip at the back, and fabricated a new one out of plastikard to try and get the profile right. This sin't shown in these photos but i'll try and get a few more soon. I'm currently also working on the bunker steps and hand rails as there are a few. I have the SOUTHERN BIG TANKS book number 3 which has proved to be invaluable and shows that even with such a short run of engines, each one had very small differences, I haven't done anything specific to a certain prototype yet as i'm still deciding which to model. 

Having said all of this, it does make me wish I'd started with a Brass kit, as there are so many compromises and i'm not sure how good the finished product will be. I'm seriously considering selling it on once its complete and buying a brass kit.

Ah well, as usual thanks for reading, and hello to any new browsers! What's going on here though...?

28334450789_96aeefa2d5_b.jpg

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 5

Quick update:

40233786922_a1c6692e12_b.jpg

38468364250_3d041d9fbb_b.jpg

Painted up the chimney on Eton. After comparing it to the Hornby offering I fitted to 938, I think the latter needs to be changed out. 

40278283651_10539232ac_b.jpg

Its frustrating, because looking at this side on photo I really think they need the rear bogie splashers, the lack of them is very obvious. I had considered having them 3D printed, but It's not something i'm familiar with. I've also been doing a few small things on the Z

40233788362_d9b19acc94_b.jpg

All the handrails are sorted, up to the cab, used some plastikard strip to represent the beading for the edges. I'm waiting on an Archers sheet of rivets to add, in no uncertain terms, a shitload of them. There are some prominent ones above the cab, as well as the front bufferbeam. Speaking of, the detailing of which is next. 

25407484987_4175400ebe_b.jpg

You can also see the rear bufferbeam being rebuilt. Still not all that happy with how I think this model is gonna end up, but the more I do to it, the more I'm convinced i'm going to get a brass kit. This will be a decent enough stop-gap though. Excuse the blurry photo!

In the same re-painting vein, here's an N Class, one of the slope sided tender equipped ones. It's been repainted for a while but I've only just got around to finishing off the numbering

38468369030_bdfc8eaf28_b.jpg

Nothing special, Considering picking up another one to turn into an N1. Slightly more special is this Van B, I decided to repaint this one instead of just re-numbering, Adds a bit of a variety, but the more I do these, the more i'm tempted to repaint all of my coaching stock. Perhaps I should tackle a loco next?

40278294791_e0e20fcf0f_b.jpg

Excuse the overspray on the ends, it's not done yet, but I shall be attending to it after this post is written!

That's everything for now, as usual, thanks for reading!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 8

Quick update:

40233786922_a1c6692e12_b.jpg

38468364250_3d041d9fbb_b.jpg

Painted up the chimney on Eton. After comparing it to the Hornby offering I fitted to 938, I think the latter needs to be changed out. 

40278283651_10539232ac_b.jpg

Its frustrating, because looking at this side on photo I really think they need the rear bogie splashers, the lack of them is very obvious. I had considered having them 3D printed, but It's not something i'm familiar with. I've also been doing a few small things on the Z

40233788362_d9b19acc94_b.jpg

All the handrails are sorted, up to the cab, used some plastikard strip to represent the beading for the edges. I'm waiting on an Archers sheet of rivets to add, in no uncertain terms, a shitload of them. There are some prominent ones above the cab, as well as the front bufferbeam. Speaking of, the detailing of which is next. 

25407484987_4175400ebe_b.jpg

You can also see the rear bufferbeam being rebuilt. Still not all that happy with how I think this model is gonna end up, but the more I do to it, the more I'm convinced i'm going to get a brass kit. This will be a decent enough stop-gap though. Excuse the blurry photo!

In the same re-painting vein, here's an N Class, one of the slope sided tender equipped ones. It's been repainted for a while but I've only just got around to finishing off the numbering

38468369030_bdfc8eaf28_b.jpg

Nothing special, Considering picking up another one to turn into an N1. Slightly more special is this Van B, I decided to repaint this one instead of just re-numbering, Adds a bit of a variety, but the more I do these, the more i'm tempted to repaint all of my coaching stock. Perhaps I should tackle a loco next?

40278294791_e0e20fcf0f_b.jpg

Excuse the overspray on the ends, it's not done yet, but I shall be attending to it after this post is written!

That's everything for now, as usual, thanks for reading!

Nice work as usual, Jack.  One small point Ns 1400 to 1406 had right hand drive as per the Bachmann model but 1407-1414 had left hand drive.  So to be accurate you should change the last digit of your No. 1408!

Chris Knowles-Thomas

• Like 1

Nice work as usual, Jack.  One small point Ns 1400 to 1406 had right hand drive as per the Bachmann model but 1407-1414 had left hand drive.  So to be accurate you should change the last digit of your No. 1408!

Chris Knowles-Thomas

Chris! Thank you, (But also damn you)!

Could I change the layout of the cab to represent LHD or is the actual model incorrect for the number?

My layout Basingstoke being 85ft by 22ft 9in, with 201 points, would probably take me literally 20 years to complete in P4.

It would take me that long in 00 using Peco track !

Middlesea John.

Better check out progress of "Basingstoke 1958-67" in "Modelling real locations"

Above: The first 25% of the layout, showing much of the Fiddle Yard. The far end being 45ft from the camera, and the state of play last September, in my Workshop. So I have plenty of room for all Jack P's collection of beautiful locos.......  

Since construction began on 3rd January 2017. I have completed 110ft of Baseboards (around 66% of the total). Over 300yds of Peco track laid (70%). 64 Peco points installed for the Fiddle Yard, and 19 handbuilt points on what will be scenic sections. So only 110 more handbuilt points to go......

Edited by 71000

Chris! Thank you, (But also damn you)!

Could I change the layout of the cab to represent LHD or is the actual model incorrect for the number?

Sorry Jack!

You could change the layout of the backhead inside the cab in theory, eg move the regulator handle from right to left but I'd have thought it would be easier to change the digit!

But the prominent external difference is the reversing lever on the right hand side of the boiler / firebox, and the housing it emerges from.  These would need to be moved to the left hand side of the engine.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Soon to be in the paint shop is Blackmore Vale. However it means she will need to go under he knife first, to have these fitted

40082518212_2147d23353_b.jpg

39909230432_6db7606837_b.jpg

It is a bit of a shame that I got her to this point, because she'll need to be repainted!

Jack - don't forget that Blackmore Vale has the safety valves in the post-1954 position. No doubt correct for its preserved condition, but not helpful for Southern Railway days. 

• Like 1

Both the crest and the safety valves ill be attended to in due course, She's in multiple bits at the moment, and isn't going to be re-incarnated as 21c123. Probably one of the first few locos with short deflectors. Thanks for looking out though guys!

Sorry Jack!

You could change the layout of the backhead inside the cab in theory, eg move the regulator handle from right to left but I'd have thought it would be easier to change the digit!

But the prominent external difference is the reversing lever on the right hand side of the boiler / firebox, and the housing it emerges from.  These would need to be moved to the left hand side of the engine.

All the best

Chris

I'm probably best to change the digit then! This isn't the first time this has happened either.. 

Thanks Chris!

• RMweb Premium

Both the crest and the safety valves ill be attended to in due course, She's in multiple bits at the moment, and isn't going to be re-incarnated as 21c123. Probably one of the first few locos with short deflectors. Thanks for looking out though guys!

Were the slide bar 'covers' still there for your chosen loco's period Jack? Front Sand Box Filler 'hatch too maybe? Can't remember without digging into my books

Phil

• Like 1

I give up, please tell.

I'm surprised, they've been in the back of a few photos! All in good time (further down this post)

Were the slide bar 'covers' still there for your chosen loco's period Jack? Front Sand Box Filler 'hatch too maybe? Can't remember without digging into my books

Phil

In all honesty, I haven't a clue. I Must say, I think I know half as much s I thought I did, and that's still much less than the least knowledgeable on here - Bulleid Pacific's aren't my preferred SR prototype, and plenty of modellers better than I have covered them, So one or two (maybe three, and definitely a MN if Hornby release one in the appropriate condition) will do me just fine, while I try and focus on other locos/coaches. 

That being said, I would like to get it right, so I will make sure to do my due diligence before deciding on a final engine.

UPDATE!

As was probably seen in my recent post, I have made some headway with the Bulleid 'Shortie' Coach, and sadly progress is slow, the only reason its had some colour is because there was a little bit left in the airbrush after painting something else and I want to see how it would look. Still have to sort out door handles, another battery box and some other under-frame details, the interior and the glazing and it'll be done (yes that's all).

Jumping to something of a rarer colour, this EMU saw some weathering,

26546414228_0d82cefd8c_b.jpg

38606558730_c25087be0b_b.jpg

I also gave the interior of the cab a quick once over and dry-brush, but it now occurs to me that It probably wouldn't be that dirty in there, not sure if the interior was cream in colour, if so, while the glazing is out, i'll load some of the appropriate colour into the airbrush and sort it out. I will try and get better pictures next time too.

Below is a rather filthy PLV, complete with tail lamp, this is actually finished. It won't be repainted and will form the final vehicle in my rake of similar vans.

40373185342_2c8a4bec70_b.jpg

Next up is 21c159, looking very Ex-works, not sure if I should have a go at her with some Klear, and try make her shiny..

39521491825_3b2d6752d4_b.jpg

Will tone down the coupling rods though, as they are far too bright.

25545794067_b4428eef2f_b.jpg

And last but not least - I was wanting to keep these under wraps until they were finished, however I've had some difficulty locating the required transfers. My thanks go out to Lynda at Fox transfers (usual disclaimer, no association, even from the other side of the planet, just a happy customer) She has agreed to print the remaining transfers, however they will not be ready for a few months, which I suppose means I can get them well and truly finished in that time.

LSWR Gate Stock - Repainting

40115223021_085784cc01_b.jpg

40233787532_5d120763c0_b.jpg

25545799257_339807453e_b.jpg

38606556060_5db52c30b7_b.jpg

25545811477_9cb43b651b_b.jpg

I'm also looking for the small white writing that should be on the cab end of the coach, no doubt someone already makes it as a transfer, but i'm sure I checked..

That's all for now anyways folks, as usual, please point out any error or flaws you may see, I always welcome it.

Thanks for reading, until next time!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Decided to give weathering a go on one of my T9's, the wide splasher variant. I've also been working away on the Z class, which should have paint soon.

26759873688_ffdc9dc529_b.jpg

I haven't weathered anything black so I wanted to get this suitably subtle, still need to tone down the pipework and add a few little bits here and there. This is also currently a non runner due to mazak rot, however I have a replacement motor mount on its way from peters spares . Thoughts and opinions are encouraged!

26759868388_4012478409_b.jpg

26759867568_dedd274d89_b.jpg

I also took a few photos at the club last night

25760646677_2625e17883_b.jpg

40589300342_aa36491c33_b.jpg

Also finished off the bogie Van B

40631261271_de0225f5ee_b.jpg

That's all for now, Thanks for reading!

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

You really are building up a sizeable fleet and all to a very high standard of finish - looks good!

Tony

Tony ,

You're quite right. So I'm now plotting how to get to NZ, kidnap Jack and his models, and fly them to Spain so he can put them on my layout........