Southern Railway Modelling - Miscellaneous Project work

Jack P

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Nice update Jack!

I'm a great fan of the variety that could be seen in parcels and other van traffic, so the more interlopers the better.

Have you refurbished any of the SR Bogie (corridor) Luggage Vans as per below?SJPPC11003402171211.jpg.2f6a316224514b1720ed7062b0fd46b2.jpg

Tony

Very tasty Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing particularly exciting to report at the moment.

I did spend some time clearing things off my desk that have been completed and replacing them with things that are now in line for treatment. I've also been assembling some more Cambrian Kits, i'm sure I don't need to preach to how good these are, as they already have a strong following, Graham is a great guy to deal with, and the kits are a lot of fun to put together - Like Mr Teague I find it quite relaxing.

48075702006_fffe5ec4d5_b.jpg

48075741628_d4b5319768_b.jpg

The SECR double bolster has now had shackles and stanchions added, I'm pretty chuffed with this. I'm trying to clear a backlog of kits and get them all assembled ready for priming and painting in one batch. I'm also accumulating a rake of Ballast hoppers, you can see the first one in production over the back, these will be more of a slow burn project, but hopefully by the time they're all done i'll have a nice long engineers train.

I also popped into the model club yesterday for the monthly meeting, and was presented with the following

48075809187_8e0f90428d_b.jpg

48075701941_a8c64e98fb_b.jpg

48075742023_26f6c8bbcb_b.jpg

As well as 9 Stevenson Locomotive Society journals ranging from 1964-1977. Two members at the club has been strongly suggesting that I look at O gauge stuff again.. and those loco drawings just happen to be in that scale - methinks there might be some collusion between them to convert me!

Finally, something that may be of use to other post war southern fans - No affiliation, but Precision labels have just released somewhat appropriate 'No Smoking' window labels, White triangle with red letters and red edging, They are based on the GWR design, but they look close enough, and beggars can't be choosers. I'm also discussing the option of getting SR end details printed (restriction 1/0) and coach seating numbers. I'll report back once I have them!

They are along the bottom row:

48075808267_8926cb6c20_b.jpg

That's all for now, I'm actually working on a proper to-do list, to try and get some efficiency and order to things. I've also been tempted by Kernows offering on Lord Rodney, and now have that and some etched plates winging their way to me - that might skip the list and be a priority when it arrives! (Sadly it won't be malachite.. I think)

Jack

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

Lord Rodney arrived last night, Kernow is crazy quick!

48095701532_ac930c9831_b.jpg

I must admit that BR green does suit this loco well, and she is extremely well presented. I am surprised at how light the loco is though, I've heard that haulage isn't a problem, but I might see if I can add some weight somewhere. After about half an hour she was looking a little more disheveled:

48095692807_5f5c1cd2c8_b.jpg

I managed to get the tender primed before calling it a night. The body is waiting for Snifters before it can go into primer, these will be a home job - unless they look terrible, then i'll consider other options!

48095637048_c959382671_b.jpg

This is how things are looking currently, a mate of mine said i'm the only person he knows that would receive a brand new model and have it un-recognizable within the hour! 

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 10
  • Funny 2

On 20/06/2019 at 20:51, AVS1998 said:

They are rather light, aren't they? I must say I was very pleased with mine, although I gave it to a club member for me to practice weathering with and unfortunately our friendship has soured somewhat, so I'm waiting for it to be returned. 

It's a bit too modern for me, but I shall persevere. Not sure I'm brave enough to attempt a full repaint, though! 

Bon chance! 

Very light - My E4's will pull almost anything, but i'm not too confident about the LN, There are a few spaces I can add some weight - but it does confuse me that Hornby didn't make the boiler out of metal, which they did on the Schools  to add weight-  Ah well.

Very brave of you to give your loco to someone else to practice weathering on - I certainly wouldn't! Sorry to hear about the situation it's now in, hopefully it's returned soon. I think the olive LN is the earliest iteration of the class, is it not? I didn't think you could go any earlier.

Here are some pics of 853, things certainly got worse before they got better!

48117553116_655f82226a_b.jpg

I only had to hack up one area, which was the front bogie, to remove the NEM pocket, a bit of filing and then a blast of etch primer, followed by tamiya fine primer. 

48117586813_85389e6da3_b.jpg

I had a real mare of a time spraying semi gloss (I don't know why) so I decided to spray it matte, to get a nice even coverage and then will go over it with semi gloss varnish, It's been very cold here, so spraying anything is difficult. I need to find an appropriate shade of 'brass' before I tackle the pipework, all of the brass/copper tones I have are far too vibrant for the scale, Modelmasters 'Brass - Flat' looks like it might be okay, has anyone here used it before?

More updates soon!

• Like 6

I can confirm that, on test, my Hornby Schools (E907 Dulwich) outperformed a friend's original-condition Hornby Nelson with a rake of 8 Hornby Maunsells (BTK+TK+TK+BTK+BCK+FK+Rest+BTK) up a steep-ish gradient. The Schools managed the train effortlessly at speed, whilst the Nelson slipped up the same hill at a steady, but slower, pace. Arguably the latter is more realistic.

• Like 1

Hello Jack,

For painting metallic finishes I use a  brand called 'Alclad 2 lacquers' it gives an amazing finish, as close to the real thing as I have found!

They're abit expensive but are well worth it in my opinion.

Kind Regards

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

I gave it to them to help me practice weathering - they're allegedly more adept at it than I am, but I wasn't 100% happy with the techniques. And yes, olive is the earliest but I was pushing my luck anyway, with a loco from '28. Wish I'd gone for the Atlantic now, really, it was only £10 more. 

Alex, elaborate on this if you please? Did you give it to them to weather, for you to then observe to help you with your own weathering? I love my H2, Will certainly be getting another when Bachy bring one out in malachite!

18 hours ago, sem34090 said:

I can confirm that, on test, my Hornby Schools (E907 Dulwich) outperformed a friend's original-condition Hornby Nelson with a rake of 8 Hornby Maunsells

The Hornby Schools are monsters They are so ridiculously heavy, and then on top of that, the driving wheels have traction tyres. I think they most i've had behind one was 16 coaches, made up of maunsells and pullmans - I only stopped because I ran out of coaches!

14 hours ago, chris25 said:

For painting metallic finishes I use a  brand called 'Alclad 2 lacquers' it gives an amazing finish, as close to the real thing as I have found!

They're abit expensive but are well worth it in my opinion.

Thanks Chris, I need to give Lacquers a go, I'm running into the issue of paint not really enjoying being handled - Often even after it's been varnished! Which one would you suggest for brass?

I've managed to get a few more wagons to the final stages, they just need bits here and there, mainly the running gear painted black and numbers/lettering

48124368921_1248bf64bb_b.jpg

I have another load of Cambrian wagons, as well as some RTR stuff arriving for repainting soon, I've also been lucky enough to get my hands on 13 David Geen kits, which (for now) will go in the 'Round-tuit' pile, until I feel I can do them justice. 

48124398243_5baed5d7b5_b.jpg

Excuse the 'in-progress' shot, hoping to get these bolsters detailed and then finished off. I'm not sure which wheels are accurate though, is anyone able to shed some insight? SECR Wagons illustrated has photos of them with spoked wheels, but I can't tell if they're open spoke or not - i'm fairly sure that disc wheels are wrong regardless though

Also worth mentioning, I managed to get a roll of 5g stick on wheel weights, used for car wheel balancing - i've been using these for adding weight to all my parcels stock and the kit-built wagons. I had been trying to find some locally, and finally managed to come across a roll of 1200 for $72 nzd! I can't imagine that i'll need any more (ever!)

48124458132_67f88a04c1_b.jpg

Finally, here is another in progress shot of 853!

• Like 11

Hello Jack,

It sounds as if the varnish you are using isn't going off completely, what brands have you tried?

For a brass metallic finish I use 'ALC109- Alclad 2 lacquers Brass'. I'm not certain if they have now been taken under the MIG brand, whose washes and panel liners a superb for model railways too. Personally I'm not into wargaming or making kits of aircraft etc but railway modellers really should give some of these products a try... 

The metal finish Alclad's would benefit from a coat of varnish over the top as well just to give them abit more protection, even though they are a lacquer.

But colour wise you are spoilt for choice with Brass, Copper, steel and aluminium probably all you need for a locomotive.

I've no affiliation with Alclad or MIG just a very happy customer that stumbled onto their products.

Kind Regards

Chris White

61yjaamewXL._SX425_.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

What spray paint do you use Jack? I've tried a bunch of different ones and Tamiya is light years ahead of anything I've tried here. They are the only sprays that I've never had any issues with, no matter the temperature.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jack P said:

Alex, elaborate on this if you please? Did you give it to them to weather, for you to then observe to help you with your own weathering? I love my H2, Will certainly be getting another when Bachy bring one out in malachite!

The Hornby Schools are monsters They are so ridiculously heavy, and then on top of that, the driving wheels have traction tyres. I think they most i've had behind one was 16 coaches, made up of maunsells and pullmans - I only stopped because I ran out of coaches!

Thanks Chris, I need to give Lacquers a go, I'm running into the issue of paint not really enjoying being handled - Often even after it's been varnished! Which one would you suggest for brass?

I've managed to get a few more wagons to the final stages, they just need bits here and there, mainly the running gear painted black and numbers/lettering

48124368921_1248bf64bb_b.jpg

I have another load of Cambrian wagons, as well as some RTR stuff arriving for repainting soon, I've also been lucky enough to get my hands on 13 David Geen kits, which (for now) will go in the 'Round-tuit' pile, until I feel I can do them justice. 

48124398243_5baed5d7b5_b.jpg

Excuse the 'in-progress' shot, hoping to get these bolsters detailed and then finished off. I'm not sure which wheels are accurate though, is anyone able to shed some insight? SECR Wagons illustrated has photos of them with spoked wheels, but I can't tell if they're open spoke or not - i'm fairly sure that disc wheels are wrong regardless though

Also worth mentioning, I managed to get a roll of 5g stick on wheel weights, used for car wheel balancing - i've been using these for adding weight to all my parcels stock and the kit-built wagons. I had been trying to find some locally, and finally managed to come across a roll of 1200 for $72 nzd! I can't imagine that i'll need any more (ever!)

48124458132_67f88a04c1_b.jpg

Finally, here is another in progress shot of 853!

Progress shot of the Nelson looks great Jack! Out of interest how did you get the smoke box door of and where did you source a new Southern pattern one from? Did you glue it on once painted?

Regards Connor

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Jack P said:

They would originally have had split spoke wheels. By the time period you are modelling you could expect a mixture of all three types of wheels on those wagons.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jack

Apologies for the late response, but although I airbrush almost exclusively with enamels, I like to use acrylics for dry brushing and for detailed bits such as pipes etc.

I mainly use Valejo acrylics with the odd item from the Railmatch and Lifecolour ranges, and for metallic finishes, these:

SJPP626001102190626.jpg.ddfcea4c8b6a3769f26ab63325de48d8.jpg

Tony

• Informative/Useful 2

On 25/06/2019 at 23:37, CCGWR said:

Out of interest how did you get the smoke box door of and where did you source a new Southern pattern one from? Did you glue it on once painted?

I went in through the chimney and gave it a knock with the (solid) end of a paintbrush, It just popped off! As for getting a replacement smokebox door, I actually didn't - although maybe the Hornby spares team could help? I just took a sharp scalpel blade and carved the number-plate off, then used a combination of sandpaper, fiberglass pencil, and some Tamiya putty to get it smooth.

On 25/06/2019 at 19:23, chris25 said:

I've no affiliation with Alclad or MIG just a very happy customer that stumbled onto their products

Chris, I wasn't able to find any Alclad locally and I have heard that it is very good, but I'm impatient, so I went and grabbed this stuff from the local model shop

48143242362_fa16ce5bd6_c.jpg

Pretty happy with it, but will see what I can do about getting my hands on some Alclad stuff. As for MiG products, I have a few of their washes and powders and  I too think they are fantastic. I think the best wash I've used so far is Tamiya's Black panel line wash (Panel Line Accent Colour), also no affiliation, but if you get a chance - try it out!

On 26/06/2019 at 06:27, Nile said:

By the time period you are modelling you could expect a mixture of all three types of wheels on those wagons.

Thanks Nile, I've decided on solid spoke wheels, I think 3 hole wheels were too early for my period, but across 3 different books I can only find a handful of pictures, and none in the livery i'm looking for. Isn't it always the way!

On 27/06/2019 at 08:00, Tony Teague said:

I mainly use Valejo acrylics

Thanks Tony, a Wargaming friend of mine said I could try out some of his - now I know which ones to grab next time I swing by his place - as above though, the ModelMaster 'Brass' enamel I picked up, i'm very happy with!

I''ve had something else foreign across my bench, an LNER Teak Full Brake, I really like these Hornby Teaks, and I wish I could find a reason to buy  a rake of them! Very simple weathering on this one, Tamiya Black Panel line wash on the body and solebars, Tamiya matte Black on the roof, and a dash of Humbrol 62 added for the under-frame and ends.

48143132611_2fa3f7f8c5_b.jpg

Here's old mate again, looking a little bit more respectable.

48143132621_a92c408de0_b.jpg

I did a quick Wikipedia search of 853's namesake, Sir Richard Grenville, an interesting chap! The model was painted completely matte, and then was gone over with Tamiya Semi Gloss aerosol, which came out perfectly. I then went back over the tender interior, smokebox and cab roof with matte black again. The pipework was done with the above ModelMaster 'Flat Brass' and then toned down with the also aforementioned panel line wash. (no affiliation with these products, just stoked that they've worked for me). Still needs the glazing fitted and the front steps and draincocks, but hoping to take it to the Model Rail club first and give it a bit of a run!

That's all for now,

Jack

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Jack P said:

I''ve had something else foreign across my bench, an LNER Teak Full Brake, I really like these Hornby Teaks, and I wish I could find a reason to buy  a rake of them! Very simple weathering on this one, Tamiya Black Panel line wash on the body and solebars, Tamiya matte Black on the roof, and a dash of Humbrol 62 added for the under-frame and ends.

48143132611_2fa3f7f8c5_b.jpg

Inter-regional special? They're usually a good excuse for foreign stock...

• Like 3

On 29/06/2019 at 00:21, Brocp said:

They look great mate. I'd still go a lot heavier on the weathering on the LNER brake roof. White wouldn't have stayed white for more than a few days back in 47.

Still working on it, will get the powders out and try for a streaky look. I really need to practice roof weathering!

On 29/06/2019 at 07:18, Nick C said:

Inter-regional special? They're usually a good excuse for foreign stock...

Now there's an idea! Would it be headed by something southern, or would I need something else LNER?

On 29/06/2019 at 09:02, Tony Teague said:

Agreed - I have an LNER full brake, some pigeon vans, etc etc - inter-regional parcels.

I'm slowly building up my collection of foreign Parcels stock, two LMS and 3 LNER vehicles, need something western next!

No Photos at the moment, but two videos from the club layout the other night

Hopefully I'll have some more interesting updates soon!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Jack P said:

Now there's an idea! Would it be headed by something southern, or would I need something else LNER?

I think they'd normally change locos somewhere near the regional border - often Oxford or Reading.

There were also regular scheduled long-distance services, usually SO in the summer, which would alternate two sets of stock - so one from the SR to the LNER would have Southern stock going northbound, LNER southbound one week, then vice-versa the following week.

I'm sure others more knowledgable than me can tell you what would have operated where...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Jack P said:

Hi Jack,

SR loco, this shot is from 1957 but I can't imagine it changed from big-4 days, showing a rake of Gresley's being hauled by a Battle of Britain, heading south on the Cuckoo line.

Gary

1907971891_GresleysontheCuckoo-18-8-19570709EastbournetoRomford249Sqadronleading.jpg.ba6837e1102e0567bb7d56e80e5b4778.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nick C said:

I think they'd normally change locos somewhere near the regional border - often Oxford or Reading.

There were also regular scheduled long-distance services, usually SO in the summer, which would alternate two sets of stock - so one from the SR to the LNER would have Southern stock going northbound, LNER southbound one week, then vice-versa the followinShow Repliesg week.

I'm sure others more knowledgable than me can tell you what would have operated where...

Depends on origin / destination & route, e.g. The Sunny South Express - Liverpool / Birkenhead to Kent / Sussex Coast changed at Rugby, whilst locations like Kensington Olympia were also used.

Jack - not sure about a Nelson hauling tender first? (although I am sure there will be a precedent!).

Tony

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nick C said:

There were also regular scheduled long-distance services, usually SO in the summer, which would alternate two sets of stock - so one from the SR to the LNER would have Southern stock going northbound, LNER southbound one week, then vice-versa the following week.

Even better, just some expensive teaks, and not an expensive apple green loco! It's re-assuring to know that it would at-least be relatively prototypical.

13 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

SR loco, this shot is from 1957 but I can't imagine it changed from big-4 days, showing a rake of Gresley's being hauled by a Battle of Britain, heading south on the Cuckoo line.

Excellent! Looks interesting with the blood and custard coaches, this is exciting news (not for my wallet though).

11 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Jack - not sure about a Nelson hauling tender first? (although I am sure there will be a precedent!).

Tony, I actually have a very good, and prototypical reason for this;

The rear coupling hook fell off :lol:

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

16 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Excellent use of Rule 1 - take a gold star! :dancer:

I'm hoping to get back out to the club before I fit the draincocks and front steps (before It won't go around the clubs corners)  and get a few videos of it running in the right direction!

As a quick update that isn't really of my own doing, if you haven't already - hop on over to DLT's thread and check out what he's managed to do with my N15x!

image.png

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 3

A few more photos from the club the other night. Looking at these photos makes me realise I need to address the middle splasher it has two prongs which slot into the footplate, which makes it really easy to add etched plates. But I think when replacing it, I did not push it in all the way, either that or i'll need to file down the tabs a little to get a better fit!

48184208547_27faa9f536_b.jpg

48184209152_9d045eefff_b.jpg

48184148271_e14f1ca62b_b.jpg

And here's one on the bench with the nearly completed H class 1319. I need to have a serious round up of projects that are half done - before I start anything new!

48184209092_dac7082b6a_b.jpg

That's all for now!

• Like 13