Southern Railway Modelling - Miscellaneous Project work

Jack P

A while since I posted last, but i've not been idle. 

Still waiting on my SECR D though, which is driving me nuts!

51354510609_f179d30641_h.jpg

Added a few more details to the front of the L - guard irons and some brass strip behind the wheel arches to get rid of the daylight. Then the bogie has retaining brackets (that will sit behind the wheels) and will limit side play. It's gone back in it's box for now, there was an accident with the wheels and now i'll need to order replacements. 

51353770191_3221565804_h.jpg

I've also spent a bit of time working on my H1, It's as close to 1947 condition as I think I can get. The only mistake is that the locomotive number should be on the back of the tender.

51353770221_66efb4d52a_h.jpg

After being sent the wrong crossheads from Phoenix (twice) I decided to make my own.

This means I can actually crack on with getting the chassis completed and running. I've reworked some of the motion bracket and I'm making inroads with that. I don't think i'm going to make all of the motion work, but i'll definitely beef it all up so that it's all there. 

We've also been looking to purchase a property, a unsuccessful so far, but hopefully soon. The allure of a railway room is very strong!

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• Jack P changed the title to Southern Railway Modelling - Miscellaneous Project work

Looking very nice as usual Jack. Watch for missing buffers on the SECR D, Dad bought 2 (one in Southern Olive, the other in Southern Black) Green one had 3 buffers off when opened the box and the black had one off. Thankfully they were all floating around in the boxes and not a hard fix but seems a common quality control problem with Dapol models recently, I had same problem with my Mogul.

Connor 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Jack's Z-Class has passed across my workbench for a little work on the body.  This consisted of getting the cab & bunker assembly to fit the footplate, sorting the boiler mounting, and fitting a removable cab-roof.

Also some detailing work including lamp-irons, cab-beading, handrails and ejector pipe.  The reason for the downward angled extension of the boiler handrails is that they are handed, and indicates which side they go.

1474136048_IMG_7186Small.jpg.3bd9232b7af9f9fa68037db55a337910.jpg

1880749327_IMG_7189Small.jpg.1a6f54ffc3b73ea17a15e93e2d7d9654.jpg

1821022495_IMG_7190Small.jpg.48a68e195f1c27e3614525c3957122d8.jpg

725634907_IMG_7193Small.jpg.9547d431b68678d53f5f1862363e46ed.jpg

Just noticed I haven't done the bunker handrails yet.....

Edited by DLT
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

28 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Jack

Have I misunderstood what you have written, Have you used the Tamiya Lacquer to strip paine, if so what type of paint will it strip please

That's exactly right! This loco had enamel and lacquers on it plus a layer of etch primer. Took the whole lot off. 

Going to give it a go on a plastic loco (spare body) and see how it goes. A friend of mine suggested it, he uses it to strip Model Car bodies, and it doesn't hurt the plastic.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, hayfield said:

Jack

Have I misunderstood what you have written, Have you used the Tamiya Lacquer to strip paine, if so what type of paint will it strip please

That did seem odd, and on checking,  Jack originally wrote that he had used Tamiya Lacquer Thinners!

Hi Jack.

I've just spent a happy few evenings digging through your thread from the start. I don't normally get too far into Southern themed topics but the local connection and the photos of Chelwarton piqued my interest. I was involved in the later development of this layout and the ones that went before it. The boards for Limpetness (built by a member and eventually gifted to the club) are now in my possession after being moved on again. It's good to see that Chelwarton is still in action.

No club membership for me these days; any modelling I do is solitary. Looking after two 1:1 scale trains and renewing my tram motorman's ticket are my focus these days.

Keep the projects coming please. Hopefully we can catch up at Railex this year, assuming Auntie Cindy and Uncle Grant let everyone out in time.

Incidentally, the photos you put up of Railex '19 caught my attention too. I initially thought that narrow gauge layout you posted was the work of Kerry Willard. Not so sure now I look at it again. I'll check with him next time I see him.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Guest Jack Benson

Hi Jack,

As a long term lurker on this thread, your work has really impressed by the level of detail, it is simply great inspiration, thank you for sharing.

May I ask, what became of your 0395 from DJH and another question, is your timeframe just before nationalisation or earlier?

Many thanks and Stay Safe

On 29/08/2021 at 19:56, nzgresleyfan said:

Hi Jack.

I've just spent a happy few evenings digging through your thread from the start. I don't normally get too far into Southern themed topics but the local connection and the photos of Chelwarton piqued my interest. I was involved in the later development of this layout and the ones that went before it. The boards for Limpetness (built by a member and eventually gifted to the club) are now in my possession after being moved on again. It's good to see that Chelwarton is still in action.

No club membership for me these days; any modelling I do is solitary. Looking after two 1:1 scale trains and renewing my tram motorman's ticket are my focus these days.

Keep the projects coming please. Hopefully we can catch up at Railex this year, assuming Auntie Cindy and Uncle Grant let everyone out in time.

Incidentally, the photos you put up of Railex '19 caught my attention too. I initially thought that narrow gauge layout you posted was the work of Kerry Willard. Not so sure now I look at it again. I'll check with him next time I see him.

Howdy Rob!

Always nice to meet people that are local through RM, it's pretty uncommon! I did wonder if you'd break the 'like' button, It was nice watching your journey through the thread.

I've actually recently discontinued my membership at the club. The guys there are great, but I haven't been in so long, and when I do go, nothing runs properly. The track is difficult to manage and my choice of couplings/minimum radius makes things difficult. 

I'll drop you a PM and we can discuss further, would love to have a chat at Railex! (c'mon Aunty C!)

14 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi Jack,

As a long term lurker on this thread, your work has really impressed by the level of detail, it is simply great inspiration, thank you for sharing.

May I ask, what became of your 0395 from DJH and another question, is your timeframe just before nationalisation or earlier?

Many thanks and Stay Safe

Hey Jack, 

Thanks so much for your kind words!

The 0395 is still lurking in its box. There's still lots left to do, new footplate, cab, etc. I've got the tender from Brassmasters.

Honestly, it's pretty out of scope for central/eastern and there's a fair bit of scratch building required so for the time being it's languishing in the 'to-do' pile.

As for my modelling timeframe, It's broadly 1947. To be more specific, if I can find workshopping notes and have the choice of multiple dates within 1947, I try and match things up to August. 

Thanks Dave, Very high praise from you indeed. 

It's all just bits of brass rod/tube and copper rod. The other bits are spares from Markits clack valves and the bracket from an Alan Gibson Westinghouse pump - all just kicking about in the spares box. 

Another quick update, some some odd reason I never finished off the cylinders on version one - I left off the draincocks. 

I wasn't too sure about the flat etched ones that came in the kit (i'm starting to see a trend here..), armed with some 0.5mm wire and handrail knobs, I decided to have a go:

51429881825_7d69ee5de4_h.jpg

51428911836_dff8c358e9_h.jpg

Some WD handrail knobs would've actually been much better, but I don't have any in stock at the moment. As has been the case with other details, these aren't 100% accurate, but I think they look much better than nothing there at all.

Oh - I also joined the EMGS tonight. I think the winds of change may be blowing...

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
On 06/09/2021 at 10:38, Jack P said:

Thanks Dave, Very high praise from you indeed. 

It's all just bits of brass rod/tube and copper rod. The other bits are spares from Markits clack valves and the bracket from an Alan Gibson Westinghouse pump - all just kicking about in the spares box. 

I thought for a minute that you had "gone 0-gauge", until I recognised the left-over Markits bits!

• Friendly/supportive 1

NZ went back into lockdown recently due to delta finally reaching us. 

This was fortuitous in some ways, I had ordered some etch primer for the W's body. The Lockdown impacted postage (primer still hasn't arrived) and so i've been sitting here twiddling my thumbs, waiting. 

Naturally once I was happy with the remediation work on the body, this turned my focus to the chassis. This was my first etched kit, and there are a lot of thing i'd do differently on the next one. 

One of the main areas was the valve gear, I'd put the radius rod on backwards and the nuts/bolts I'd used to secure everything were very prominent in all the wrong ways. 

I'm sure you can guess what happened next; Wheels and rods came off. DLT's pickup arrangement was able to be removed as one unit and should hopefully slot right back in. 

I noticed that the wheels were actually incorrect, and had 18 spokes instead of 17. No one offers a plain rim 5'6" 17spk wheel with 14" crank throw (pin between spokes).

The closest AG wheel I could find has the correct number of spokes, a beveled rim, and 13" crank throw. Not perfect, but an acceptable compromise until I can 3D print my own wheel centers. 

Some progress over the weekend saw amendments made to the motion bracket.

The first iteration that came with the kit puts both parts in the wrong place, the front one is too high, and the rear one is too low. After some modification, they are now in the right place

Like most Maunsell Locos the motion bracket should be a hefty great casting. I added some details to try and represent this from brass T section and rivet strip.

On theme with the rest of the build, I added a representation of the internal valve gear in the gap between both brackets, much better than a bit of brass strip painted red. 

You cannot see this at all, even glimpsing it is difficult. So it's pretty freelance in terms of what should be there, but it's better than nothing.

I also added some brass spacers made from leftover etch, at the front and rear of the chassis to help with body fitment and keep it all square

51460715455_f30d46a790_h.jpg

51459000542_21b70cb0e2_h.jpg

The chassis really needs another dunk in paint stripper to get the rest of the stuff off between the frames - everything looks quite messy at the moment, as there is lots more cleaning up to do. 

OH, and this arrived..

51459140831_95dc38f7f5_h.jpg

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 17

Hi Jack well done on joining the EMGS something I did this year again. It’s the introduction of Wayne’s kits for points that was the clincher for me. I test build one and they are very easy to do and look great. I will be looking forward to see how you get on with converting your locos. A blow by blow account will be fine hint if you could do the M7 and H class that will be good for me……

Keith

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 13/09/2021 at 19:13, KeithHC said:

Hi Jack well done on joining the EMGS something I did this year again. It’s the introduction of Wayne’s kits for points that was the clincher for me. I test build one and they are very easy to do and look great. I will be looking forward to see how you get on with converting your locos. A blow by blow account will be fine hint if you could do the M7 and H class that will be good for me……

Keith

Thanks Keith, The availability of RTR points and Wayne's kits were definitely a contributing factor for me.

I do still plan to build my own points - but it will be nice to have a baseline of track that functions well. 

I had a cursory look at the H and the M7, with replacement wheelsets there should be very little modification required to get them to fit back inside the respective bodies, as the Hornby wheels have rather wide tyres. 

Both are on my list, and i'll post updates in due course.

21 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Hi Jack

You're recent posts show that you are reaching a level of detail that I just can't aspire to!

It's to be admired, so keep at it!! :clapping:

Tony

Thanks Tony!

I have of course been spurred on by the excellent work of other members that I've been able to witness (stood on the shoulders of giants!).

I've come a fair way, but there is still a decent chunk to go yet!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DLT said:

Err, what is it??

7 hours ago, jwealleans said:

It's a 3D printer, according to my mates at Google.

My Partner suggested that it looks like an air fryer, I'd definitely prefer the smell of the air fryer!

It is indeed a 3D printer though, The Phrozen Sonic 4K Mini, a smallish, very high resolution printer.

There should be enough build volume to do things in parts if needed, a long coach could be done in 2/3 parts sectioned at the panel lines.

First print will be the LBSC J1 my friend designed, it's a full loco inc chassis and uses its own gearbox designed to take the gears from a HL roadrunner.

Just waiting on some resin and a wash'n'cure station and then we shall give it a go!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6