Southern Railway Modelling - Miscellaneous Project work

Jack P

Hey duke, thanks for the post! 

Hugely informative as per usual, such a wealth of information, you add atleast 50% of the entertainment value of my thread! I had some idea of the reasoning behind the SR purchasing the tanks, mainly as dock engines, for the sharp curves etc, etc. I'm sure that i'd also read somewhere that the Guildford allocated loco was the shed/station pilot for a while. I also think it's an interesting prototype, my plans for a layout have changed slightly, but either way I'm glad I managed to pick one up!

I added a 3 link a wee while ago, It's actually been a very long time since I updated!

36121598810_19d3828221_c.jpg

Since I last updated I also added another SR tank engine to the fleet, this one started out life as the BR version 

36471509206_f8dc2fc0bb_c.jpg

36380433181_080a9c27e4_c.jpg

Another odd prototype I wanted to model was the schools class high sided tender, While Repton currently has one of these tenders in preservation there was actually (AFAIK) one that was paired to a schools class (936?) I manged to find a photo of one in Wartime black so i'm thinking some time between 1943-1945. It still needs a few things to finish it off but it's all one colour now! Any input on this one would be appreciated!

36517949585_46efe00ea6_c.jpg

36380442721_043c4e8fb6_c.jpg

36471508586_0420233e06_c.jpg

36517931335_7712d4bf8e_c.jpg

Thanks again for all your support guys, I am still lurking on the forums just been busy as per usual!

That's all for now!!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 9

As a complete heretic, I'd invoke the operational necessity of a tender and the doings of a hard-pressed shedmaster making a loco fit for traffic at need, to explain the alternative tender on the Schools. It simply looks so good, that it would be a crime not to do it. I occasionally put eight wheel tenders behind my BR(ER) V2s on the same basis, for which there is not a single solitary shred of evidence.

• Like 3

Hey duke, thanks for the post! 

Hugely informative as per usual, such a wealth of information, you add atleast 50% of the entertainment value of my thread! I had some idea of the reasoning behind the SR purchasing the tanks, mainly as dock engines, for the sharp curves etc, etc. I'm sure that i'd also read somewhere that the Guildford allocated loco was the shed/station pilot for a while. I also think it's an interesting prototype, my plans for a layout have changed slightly, but either way I'm glad I managed to pick one up!

I added a 3 link a wee while ago, It's actually been a very long time since I updated!

36121598810_19d3828221_c.jpg

Since I last updated I also added another SR tank engine to the fleet, this one started out life as the BR version 

36471509206_f8dc2fc0bb_c.jpg

36380433181_080a9c27e4_c.jpg

Another odd prototype I wanted to model was the schools class high sided tender, While Repton currently has one of these tenders in preservation there was actually (AFAIK) one that was paired to a schools class (936?) I manged to find a photo of one in Wartime black so i'm thinking some time between 1943-1945. It still needs a few things to finish it off but it's all one colour now! Any input on this one would be appreciated!

36517949585_46efe00ea6_c.jpg

36380442721_043c4e8fb6_c.jpg

36471508586_0420233e06_c.jpg

36517931335_7712d4bf8e_c.jpg

Thanks again for all your support guys, I am still lurking on the forums just been busy as per usual!

That's all for now!!

Hello Jack

The tender of 932 'Blundells' was rebuilt to be self trimming like the Lord Nelson tenders in July 1938 when it gained the high sides.  932 was repainted black from malachite in Aug 1945 and regained malachite July 1948 (with BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tender side).  Obviously after your period of interest but the tender was transferred to 30905 'Tonbridge' in Aug 1958.  This was the only tender so altered by the SR, Repton's being done post preservation and is not quite the same.  Presumably you've based yours on pics of 926? so on your model the high bit extends too far back and the transitions were more shapely on 932's version.  Also I would say your high section is a tad to high as far as I can see.

Great modelling as usual.

Chris Knowles-Thomas

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Jack

The tender of 932 'Blundells' was rebuilt to be self trimming like the Lord Nelson tenders in July 1938 when it gained the high sides.  932 was repainted black from malachite in Aug 1945 and regained malachite July 1948 (with BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tender side).  Obviously after your period of interest but the tender was transferred to 30905 'Tonbridge' in Aug 1958.  This was the only tender so altered by the SR, Repton's being done post preservation and is not quite the same.  Presumably you've based yours on pics of 926? so on your model the high bit extends too far back and the transitions were more shapely on 932's version.  Also I would say your high section is a tad to high as far as I can see.

Great modelling as usual.

Chris Knowles-Thomas

Hey Chris,

You're spot on there, i've based my pictures off 926, which after seeing a few other pictures, is the wrong shape, luckily I have another tender spare, so I'm going to start over I think. the one used by the southern was a little more squat than what i've managed to produce. However I might see if anyone at the club would like the tender, or would be willing to repaint it into BR green and possibly model repton as is in preservation. Will post some updates when I start and see what you think!

Thanks for your feedback and kind words!

Hi Jack,

I clicked on your thread out of curiosity, and though I'm modelling a vastly different Southern period to you, I'm still finding this thread very much inspirational.

On the note of the Schools with a bogie tender, those allocated to Western section sheds in fact did exchange tenders with King Arthurs and Lord Nelsons to allow the former to have longer runs, and the latter to fit on Eastern and Central turntables, notably those at Ashford, Brighton and the South Coast resorts.

Here's one example:

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/SR-4-4-0s/i-TsRmLSv

Apologies if this point has been made before, I'm still working my way through the thread!

Credit to Mike Morant.

Many thanks,

Alexandra

Alexandra, thank you for those kind words! 

No, no, I'm always interested in any feedback, critiques, or discussion points people raise, regardless of whether or not they've been brought up before I think the Schools class look excellent with those big bogie tenders, I'm thinking about trying to pick up a malachite lord nelson tender and use part of the DCC chip relocation in a spare schools tender I have and running another 'never-was' (as they only ran during BR days).

Have had a look at your thread, sadly there are a few pictures missing, but the content is great none the less.

Hopefully I'll have a significant update soon! it's been a bit few and far between recently. My apologies!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just playing "catch-up" on this thread Jack, very interesting, informative and inspiring! Looking forward to your next update!

Thank you kindly, and welcome! It has been far too long since I've updated, so here we go.

Starting with and M7, one of the ones that had the sandboxes below the running plate, It was quite cheap from hattons and I wish I'd taken a few before photos, a it had obviously lived a life. I started out but sanding back the damage, which was mostly on the tank sides, it looked like someone had tried to remove the lettering and numbers with a scalpel. 

36393048154_6ac48e2e64_c.jpg

37587155545_b8d9a2c56f_c.jpg

Sadly I didn't take many pictures, and if I did, They cannot be found. However black isn't much of a difficult livery to repaint into as it's simply colour and transfers. 

38442558332_8647cdd344_c.jpg

Here she is, finished for now. When I can get in contact with markits I'll have one of their whistles to replace the missing one. The next thing, in chronological order is my order from dart castings. I picked up a few of the maunsell wooden wheel inserts - however since purchasing, I've decided that I don't actually think they went on the coaching stock they are posed in front of, Maybe some older LSWR vans or something, but i'm not sure. Maybe someone is able to tell me if these would've been left on anything on the southern in 1947? 

26698265439_01ee5ae1e1_c.jpg

Next up, the purchase of Hornbys LSWR Rebuilds in malachite green, I'm still not sure if all 4 were in set 44 together of, or it was simply made up of the two - again i'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I can point me in the right direction.

24602279688_cc0dddd931_c.jpg

These, still so far, haven't had much done to them, only screw link couplings added. I need to get them out again and try and address the not-so-free running issue. Aside from that they are excellent! I am looking forward to receiving my birdcages, which I can only hope are of similar quality. Here they all are, posed with set 45 at the rear in olive green (not that you can see) and in front there is the next item.

37587160945_133b62b38d_c.jpg

To touch on the topic of malachite green, it's pretty clear that Hornby decided to use paint from the same tin for both the BR(s) green and their representation of malachite on coaching stock. Which is confusing because they have the malachite green that's on the majority of southern locos. Either way it makes it slightly easier for me, because I do not plan to repaint any R-T-R stock that's already in malachite green, Kit-built stock definitely though, although I may play around with colours to try and match the Hornby colour. This is all musing for a future time.

The bogie van B however Arrived on my bench in BR(s) Livery

36832596700_c573fbf59a_c.jpg

Sadly (again) I didn't take any photos before, but I simply removed the transfers with a cocktail stick, cotton buds and some thinners, and removed the windows

37087614571_569424ea34_c.jpg

I then, even though I've been previously advised it's incorrect, painted the droplights brown and applied the transfers to bring it to its current state, then wafted a coat of matt varnish and reinstalled the windows. I'm pretty happy with it, because at present it's nothing something that can be bough off the shelf, it matches my coaches, and they are currently rather hard to find in this colour!

38418321126_500de55c50_c.jpg

I also tried my hand at weathering the LSWR rebuilt set 45, giving one of the coaches, what I hope looks like panel repairs. I've narrowed my modelling period to august 1947, so anything still in olive green was probably quite worn, I'm still unconvinced about how it looks, I did try and reference pictures as best I could, but there's not much available, I had a look at some more modern stuff, and it looks similar, i'm just not sure how I could improve it. 

38442555792_97c295c570_c.jpg

38474986801_ee63793a8a_c.jpg

And finally, to come full circle, another M7

I decided to give weathering another crack on 243, because It's all practice, practice, practice. Here are the results, in a variety of different lighting conditions - feedback appreciated

24602281788_2980fec004_c.jpg

26698267159_b1a90efc7a_c.jpg

And finally the one that probably showcases it best 

26698265279_27a1f8256d_c.jpg

And finally, here's my current WIP, waiting for detailing and replacement parts, but currently almost finished in terms of weathering.

26698267319_f345af8d52_c.jpg

Until next time! 

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

The mansell wood wheel centres you have could be still around, fitted to four wheel and six wheel pregroup coaching stock, I.e. parcel vans, horseboxes, and so on. Very few passenger vehicles would be still around by ww2, possibly the odd service vehicle conversion. Any new build in SR days would have steel disc type wheels. They’re teak segments, a guy I knew at Swindon works did a barn conversion out in the country, with flooring made from these around 1970ish.

• RMweb Gold

In line with your suspicion, I agree that the Mansell wheels are doubtful for the Hornby coaches unless someone can come up with photographic evidence in support.

These 1936-ish "rebuilds" reused LSWR body parts on new underframes and bogies to the then-current SR standard as used under Maunsell corridor stock, so I'd expect the wheels to be new as well.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling

Jack,

Wooden centred wheels, posed a problem for track circuits !

While the wooden centred wheels gave a smoother ride, they had to add metal straps from the wheel rim to the axles, once track circuits became common. And on the LSWR track circuits in quantity became common early on. In conjunction with the mainline resignalling between Surbiton and Basingstoke using air operated, "Automatic Block" lower quadrant semaphore signals, around 1905. Can't find any shots of Maunsell coaches with wooden wheels. 

Your Hornby ex LSWR Coaching stock, set 44. My  BR CWNA (Carriage Working Notices Appenices) shows Sets 7 to 20 & 39 to 62 obviously including Set 44 to all be "2 LAV" sets (with one or two gaps in the sequence). From 1951 until withdrawn in 1958 Set 44 was formed of:

Brake Third (BT) 2638

Lavatory Composite Brake (LCB 6403

No change to this set being recorded by BR, and I suspect most if not all of these sets remained basically the same back to pre-war years. 

There were also "3 LAV" sets 101 to 152 & 158 to 167. The following examples may be of interest:

SET 114 withdrawn November 1957

Brake Third (BT) 3031

Lavatory Composite (LC) 4685

Brake Third (BT) 3032

SET 122 withdrawn September 1957

Brake Third (BT) 3059

Lavatory Composite (LC) 4637

Brake Third (BT) 3060

Note: How the Brake Thirds in the above sets are consequecutively numbered. This is typical of a high proportion of ALL Southern sets. 

Not sure if you have noticed, but the Hornby Lavatory Brake Third, is the same vehicle as their Lavatory Brake Composite with the first class compartments simply downgraded to Third ! I am not an expert on ex LSWR stock, but I don't think the Lavatory third was the same as a Lavatory Composite, as all the compartments in the Hornby model appear to be the same size !

Indeed I bought the three car set numbered as SET 116 in BR crimson. And my records show this set having a Lavatory Composite until its demise numbered 4839, but the model provided is a Lavatory third numbered 267. Having said that I am awre that some mainly older Composite vehicles were downgraded permanently and therefore renumbered from the Composite grouping (4600-6400) to the Third class grouping (1 - 2500).

By my era (1958-67) there were very few pre-grouping coaches about, and my set 116, is really only suitable for use in 1958. So it is more to provide a little more diversity on the layout, from the Hordes of Maunsell, Bulleid and Mk1 types in my fleet which has now reached 365 coaches !

Nice to see you back online.

Edited by 71000

I think the weathering on No 243 looks great, very subtle and realisitic. What techniques did you use?

Steve.

Thanks Steve, Now If I could but and L1 like yours I'd be happy! I usually start by brush/airbrushing the black parts with a sort of grimy black/brown mix, under the running plate, cab roof and smokebox on any black locos - although with anything black I repaint them with satin black 'British Paints' areosol cans, as I think it gets rid of the plastic looking sheen you get, but still leaves a relatively smooth surface to work on.

I'm glad you think it's subtle too. I think I need to try and inlcude a gentle transition of colours, there is the faintest hint of a rust colour on the lower part of the smokebox, and on the ashpan but it doesn't really show up in pictures. A little variation is good I think but I don't want to overdo it. 

The techniques are just a mix of the usual, some dry brushing, paint removal with thinners etc. The WC is done in much the same way but is much easier to do, simply apply some of my own thinned out wash, wait for it to dry and then wipe off with a rag and cotton buds. I think in future I'm going to start gloss varnishing before I weather, but obviously with some refinement i'm sure I'll be confident going at the rest of my stock!

The mansell wood wheel centres you have could be still around, fitted to four wheel and six wheel pregroup coaching stock, I.e. parcel vans, horseboxes, and so on. 

In line with your suspicion, I agree that the Mansell wheels are doubtful for the Hornby coaches unless someone can come up with photographic evidence in support.

I had a feeling this would be the case, I might just save them for any pre-grouping un-rebuilt or unmodified. Although I may need some new wheelsets as I did fit them to the LSWR rebuilds - yes, yes, patience is a virtue (that I may learn one day), luckily they aren't too expensive.

-

Ahhhh, Duke, as usual. an absolute wealth of information, thank you so much for taking them time, to both write and format your replies in a clear and easy to read way, I'm sure it is of huge benefit to not only myself, but many others too. 

Just to clarify, set 44 only ran as a 2 car set its entire life? I shall have to figure out where the other coaches fit, some more renumbering possibly! I had noticed the brake ends being 1 number different per set infact, as on both set 209 and set 328 that's the case. One of the books I have on maunsell coaches also explains the reason behind this, being at work and it not being to hand, I would assume/recall it has to do with them being built in batches.

I'm currently sitting on 25ish coaches, but If I carry on the way i'm currently going i'm sure i'll catch up to your 365 (one for every day of the year!). I must confess that southern coaching stock appeals to me far more than goods stock/wagons, with a few exceptions. I have purchased a few more books to try and bring myself up to speed. Blessed to have the LSWR rebuilds released in malachite, the gate stock and the Birdcages all hit the market at around the same time. Roll on some re-tooled Bulleid's please Bachmann.

Hopefully will have another update tonight!

As always thanks all for reading!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if you have noticed, but the Hornby Lavatory Brake Third, is the same vehicle as their Lavatory Brake Composite with the first class compartments simply downgraded to Third ! I am not an expert on ex LSWR stock, but I don't think the Lavatory third was the same as a Lavatory Composite, as all the compartments in the Hornby model appear to be the same size !

The Duke 71000 

According to Mike King in An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches (OPC), the 7-compartment lavatory brake thirds (2625-9) to Diagram 98 (as produced by Hornby) were rebuilt from LSWR 48-foot composites and were "structurally identical to Diagram 418", (the lavatory brake composites numbered 6401-5, as also produced by Hornby).

It seems that Hornby astutely spotted the opportunity to offer an extra variant purely by changing the markings, with no need for additional tooling,

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Thanks Steve, Now If I could but and L1 like yours I'd be happy! I usually start by brush/airbrushing the black parts with a sort of grimy black/brown mix, under the running plate, cab roof and smokebox on any black locos - although with anything black I repaint them with satin black 'British Paints' areosol cans, as I think it gets rid of the plastic looking sheen you get, but still leaves a relatively smooth surface to work on.

I'm glad you think it's subtle too. I think I need to try and inlcude a gentle transition of colours, there is the faintest hint of a rust colour on the lower part of the smokebox, and on the ashpan but it doesn't really show up in pictures. A little variation is good I think but I don't want to overdo it. 

The techniques are just a mix of the usual, some dry brushing, paint removal with thinners etc. The WC is done in much the same way but is much easier to do, simply apply some of my own thinned out wash, wait for it to dry and then wipe off with a rag and cotton buds. I think in future I'm going to start gloss varnishing before I weather, but obviously with some refinement i'm sure I'll be confident going at the rest of my stock!

I had a feeling this would be the case, I might just save them for any pre-grouping un-rebuilt or unmodified. Although I may need some new wheelsets as I did fit them to the LSWR rebuilds - yes, yes, patience is a virtue (that I may learn one day), luckily they aren't too expensive.

-

Ahhhh, Duke, as usual. an absolute wealth of information, thank you so much for taking them time, to both write and format your replies in a clear and easy to read way, I'm sure it is of huge benefit to not only myself, but many others too. 

Just to clarify, set 44 only ran as a 2 car set its entire life? I shall have to figure out where the other coaches fit, some more renumbering possibly! I had noticed the brake ends being 1 number different per set infact, as on both set 209 and set 328 that's the case. One of the books I have on maunsell coaches also explains the reason behind this, being at work and it not being to hand, I would assume/recall it has to do with them being built in batches.

I'm currently sitting on 25ish coaches, but If I carry on the way i'm currently going i'm sure i'll catch up to your 365 (one for every day of the year!). I must confess that southern coaching stock appeals to me far more than goods stock/wagons, with a few exceptions. I have purchased a few more books to try and bring myself up to speed. Blessed to have the LSWR rebuilds released in malachite, the gate stock and the Birdcages all hit the market at around the same time. Roll on some re-tooled Bulleid's please Bachmann.

Hopefully will have another update tonight!

As always thanks all for reading!

Hornby's 8 compartment brake third ((2636-2640) and lavatory brake compo (6401-6405) spent their whole lives in '2-LAV' sets 42-46, which were unchanged apart from 46, ie:-

42 =  2636 + 6401

43 =  2637 + 6402

44 =  2638 + 6403

45 =  2639 + 6404

46 =  2640 + 6405

42-45 were withdrawn between Nov 1956 and June 1958.  In June 1958 set 46 was increased to 5 cars with three ex SECR 10 compartment seconds and used between Clapham Junc. and Kensington Olympia.  Unfortunately it was withdrawn in April 1959 following collision damage.

Some of the 31 x 9 compartment lavatory thirds were in sets but the majority ran 'loose', so they're not a 'problem'.

As said, Hornby make the 6 compt lavatory brake third (2625-2629) simply because it has the same body shell as the lavatory brake compo.  Unfortunately they were incorporated in '2-LAV' sets 51-54 & 56 with LSWR 56ft lavatory brake compos which are not, of course, available ready to run.  Ultimately two, 2626 & 2627, became 'loose' in 1948 and 1950 respectively.   So to run them 'loose' in S. Railway days you would need to exercise 'Modeller's Licence'.  Incidentally 2626's companion in set 51 was 6474 which now resides in the National Railway Museum.

Chris Knowles-Thomas  

Hornby's 8 compartment brake third ((2636-2640) and lavatory brake compo (6401-6405) spent their whole lives in '2-LAV' sets 42-46, which were unchanged apart from 46, ie:-

42 =  2636 + 6401

43 =  2637 + 6402

44 =  2638 + 6403

45 =  2639 + 6404

46 =  2640 + 6405

42-45 were withdrawn between Nov 1956 and June 1958.  In June 1958 set 46 was increased to 5 cars with three ex SECR 10 compartment seconds and used between Clapham Junc. and Kensington Olympia.  Unfortunately it was withdrawn in April 1959 following collision damage.

Some of the 31 x 9 compartment lavatory thirds were in sets but the majority ran 'loose', so they're not a 'problem'.

As said, Hornby make the 6 compt lavatory brake third (2625-2629) simply because it has the same body shell as the lavatory brake compo.  Unfortunately they were incorporated in '2-LAV' sets 51-54 & 56 with LSWR 56ft lavatory brake compos which are not, of course, available ready to run.  Ultimately two, 2626 & 2627, became 'loose' in 1948 and 1950 respectively.   So to run them 'loose' in S. Railway days you would need to exercise 'Modeller's Licence'.  Incidentally 2626's companion in set 51 was 6474 which now resides in the National Railway Museum.

Chris Knowles-Thomas  

Typo in my previous - there were 38 lavatory thirds (not 31).

Chris KT

Thanks Chris! Rule 1 is much easier to apply when you're only talking 2 years, as opposed to say, 10!

Update!

Being disheartened by how old the Lord Nelson (tooling) looks compared to all of my other Locos, I thought I'd have a go at weathering and detailing it.

38617512851_e955c3838f_c.jpg

Went for a slightly heavier approach with this one, but i'm happy with it overall, a few places that could be touched up. I've shortened the gap between loco and tender, added cab doors, added cab detail, front footsteps, rear pipework, on the tender and fitted screw link couplings. There are still a few things left to do, but I'm happy with how it's coming along - thoughts?

I've also spent a pleasant evening disassembling a BR(S) Open second, and removing the transfers. Leaving me with this:

37900138074_6bb1a14df8_c.jpg

It's set numbered '105' on the end, so I assume to keep it in line with that set it will need to stay as 1327? I'm not sure that it ran as that set/number in SR days though. If anyone could help fill the gaps here that would be great! I'm also not sure of where the number should go, would it be waist height, in the same place as the BR(S) number, or is it just below the roof line, like some of the other southern stock of this period? I'm yet to crack open my david Gould 'Maunsell's sr steam stock' book, but it may have the answers i'm looking for..

That's all for now!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris! Rule 1 is much easier to apply when you're only talking 2 years, as opposed to say, 10!

Update!

Being disheartened by how old the Lord Nelson (tooling) looks compared to all of my other Locos, I thought I'd have a go at weathering and detailing it.

38617512851_e955c3838f_c.jpg

Went for a slightly heavier approach with this one, but i'm happy with it overall, a few places that could be touched up. I've shortened the gap between loco and tender, added cab doors, added cab detail, front footsteps, rear pipework, on the tender and fitted screw link couplings. There are still a few things left to do, but I'm happy with how it's coming along - thoughts?

I've also spent a pleasant evening disassembling a BR(S) Open second, and removing the transfers. Leaving me with this:

37900138074_6bb1a14df8_c.jpg

It's set numbered '105' on the end, so I assume to keep it in line with that set it will need to stay as 1327? I'm not sure that it ran as that set/number in SR days though. If anyone could help fill the gaps here that would be great! I'm also not sure of where the number should go, would it be waist height, in the same place as the BR(S) number, or is it just below the roof line, like some of the other southern stock of this period? I'm yet to crack open my david Gould 'Maunsell's sr steam stock' book, but it may have the answers i'm looking for..

That's all for now!

The set in question wasn't formed until 1959 and comprised just the TO (by then SO) and a brake composite (BCK).

I'm pretty sure the opens were all "loose stock" prior to BR days.

John

I do not plan to repaint any R-T-R stock that's already in malachite green

I said this 16 days ago.

To start with though, I finished the open third. 

38779264871_8f2db01e4d_c.jpg

Looking at it now, I think the numbers are spaced out a little too far. It's had a coat of matte varnish now so it's a bit late, i'm pretty happy though. Just like the bogie Van B, this isn't something that's available RTR as yet, So i'm happy that I was able to add something else of interest to the fleet of coaching stock that i'm slowly building up.

Up next, and to reference my quote from the start of the post. I wasn't really happy with the Olive green Rebuilt LSWR stock, I bought them on a whim, but i'm trying to model specifically 1947, so that narrows my options for stock right down, not that i'm complaining, but obviously I'm the one that has to adhere to the guidelines I set.

So, I decided to try my hand at 2 things i've not done before; 1) Repaint some coaching stock. 2) Airbrush with enamels. The result is as follows -

Strip down, remove the glass, and mask up

27007240369_90f49e688f_b.jpg

38751908582_14dae3144c_b.jpg

And spray. If I was to do this again I would leave the guards ducketts in, I masked up the windows regardless.

38782594971_e3d12b7e33_b.jpg

23918201327_b24a805784_b.jpg

Repaint/pick out the details again, refit the glass and guards duckett, add compartment numbers, 'Southern' and 'Guard' lettering, and refit to chassis. 

23915164057_7d0297c674_b.jpg

38779264971_ec0b04c46a_b.jpg

I also took the opportunity to repaint of the the BR(S) green PLVs, which is much he same process, but the roof detaches, so painting was even more of a doddle.

38062800884_f258dcefa2_b.jpg

Currently no numbers on anything yet, simply haven't had time yet It's my least favourite part! I think they will end up being set No. 46, and the PLV will be 1056. I'm pretty happy with the outcome, and now i'm tossing up repainting all of my coaching stock.. oh dear. Well until I've decided i'll leave you with a few more pictures, and thanks for reading!

37893164505_bd4d6e59f5_b.jpg

24906396308_afc4f06cb3_b.jpg

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 9

I said this 16 days ago.

To start with though, I finished the open third. 

38779264871_8f2db01e4d_c.jpg

Looking at it now, I think the numbers are spaced out a little too far. It's had a coat of matte varnish now so it's a bit late, i'm pretty happy though. Just like the bogie Van B, this isn't something that's available RTR as yet, So i'm happy that I was able to add something else of interest to the fleet of coaching stock that i'm slowly building up.

Up next, and to reference my quote from the start of the post. I wasn't really happy with the Olive green Rebuilt LSWR stock, I bought them on a whim, but i'm trying to model specifically 1947, so that narrows my options for stock right down, not that i'm complaining, but obviously I'm the one that has to adhere to the guidelines I set.

So, I decided to try my hand at 2 things i've not done before; 1) Repaint some coaching stock. 2) Airbrush with enamels. The result is as follows -

Strip down, remove the glass, and mask up

27007240369_90f49e688f_b.jpg

38751908582_14dae3144c_b.jpg

And spray. If I was to do this again I would leave the guards ducketts in, I masked up the windows regardless.

38782594971_e3d12b7e33_b.jpg

23918201327_b24a805784_b.jpg

Repaint/pick out the details again, refit the glass and guards duckett, add compartment numbers, 'Southern' and 'Guard' lettering, and refit to chassis. 

23915164057_7d0297c674_b.jpg

38779264971_ec0b04c46a_b.jpg

I also took the opportunity to repaint of the the BR(S) green PLVs, which is much he same process, but the roof detaches, so painting was even more of a doddle.

38062800884_f258dcefa2_b.jpg

Currently no numbers on anything yet, simply haven't had time yet It's my least favourite part! I think they will end up being set No. 46, and the PLV will be 1056. I'm pretty happy with the outcome, and now i'm tossing up repainting all of my coaching stock.. oh dear. Well until I've decided i'll leave you with a few more pictures, and thanks for reading!

37893164505_bd4d6e59f5_b.jpg

24906396308_afc4f06cb3_b.jpg

Hi there, just wanted to pop my head up and declare myself as an admiring lurker! I am currently *attempting* to do what you are doing, albeit with GWR stock for the 1945-1947 period. However, I have some SR stock and am intending to turn a Hornby Bogie Van B in BR(S) Green into a SR Malachite version which - much as you've done with the Maunsell TO - merely requires the replacement of the decals. I also have a Maunsell TO in Olive and a Van B in Olive, but I think I'm right in saying that some SR stock would have made it into the post-war period in Olive Green? 

I am to an extent envious of the 'single colour' scheme and no-lining of SR stock; as I am still to successfully re-livery any GWR coaching stock into post-war Hawksworth Chocolate and Cream livery with double waist lining and brown band below the cantrail, but I am getting there!

I do think the post-war period of the Big Four was a fascinating time, particularly livery-wise, given that you could see late pre-war, wartime (lots of black and austerity brown for GWR coaches!) and shiny post-war liveries all in the 1945-1947 period. I suppose very early BR in the 1948 - 1952 period was also very interesting for liveries, what with the experimental BR liveries and the BRITISH RAILWAYS lettering on locos seen alongside some remnant Big Four liveries before the BTC settled upon the 'Cycling Lion' crest, but I cannot quite bring myself to model anything past midnight on 31/12/1947!

Finally, I have to call a 'snap' with your choice of desk lamp - a good trusty old IKEA desk light by the looks? 

Keep up the good work.

Cheers, 

CoY

Thanks OnTheBranchline! That's high praise for sure!

Hi there, just wanted to pop my head up and declare myself as an admiring lurker! I am currently *attempting* to do what you are doing, albeit with GWR stock for the 1945-1947 period. However, I have some SR stock and am intending to turn a Hornby Bogie Van B in BR(S) Green into a SR Malachite version which - much as you've done with the Maunsell TO - merely requires the replacement of the decals. I also have a Maunsell TO in Olive and a Van B in Olive, but I think I'm right in saying that some SR stock would have made it into the post-war period in Olive Green? 

I am to an extent envious of the 'single colour' scheme and no-lining of SR stock; as I am still to successfully re-livery any GWR coaching stock into post-war Hawksworth Chocolate and Cream livery with double waist lining and brown band below the cantrail, but I am getting there!

I do think the post-war period of the Big Four was a fascinating time, particularly livery-wise, given that you could see late pre-war, wartime (lots of black and austerity brown for GWR coaches!) and shiny post-war liveries all in the 1945-1947 period. I suppose very early BR in the 1948 - 1952 period was also very interesting for liveries, what with the experimental BR liveries and the BRITISH RAILWAYS lettering on locos seen alongside some remnant Big Four liveries before the BTC settled upon the 'Cycling Lion' crest, but I cannot quite bring myself to model anything past midnight on 31/12/1947!

Finally, I have to call a 'snap' with your choice of desk lamp - a good trusty old IKEA desk light by the looks? 

Keep up the good work.

Cheers, 

CoY

Hey there CoY, First up thank you for such kind words!

If you scroll up a little I actually re-liveried a BR(S) Bogie Van B into Southern Livery - it's very simple, maybe even enjoyable (if you're that way inclined), I'd love to see the finished article. As for olive green stock, without a doubt they were around post-war, I would put money on it that some must've lasted into BR ownership even, I do actually have two olive green vans, rather heavily weathered though.

Modelling the Southern in the period I've chosen affords some small mercies, in that the coaching stock is in simple block colour, and most of the locos are unlined black. I wish you luck with multi-coloured coaches and lining, certainly not an enviable task! I could definitely add more variation if I expanded my time period up until about 1950ish, however much like you. I can't bear to bring myself to model anything post 31/12/47!

The desk lamp was from 'The Warehouse' Which I suppose is similar to Ikea in some ways, a very handy lamp regardless :)

Here are a few pictures I took at the club last night, Finally got Blackmore Vale finished, with draincocks and front steps, and a few replacement parts.

37928664365_bd5c13ee37_b.jpg

37928665825_faa786b178_b.jpg

Will update again soon, Thanks for reading!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 10

Quick addition, videos! Ooooh

Need to work on it a little, the club layout isn't the easiest to film on. But it's nice to see some movement every now and then! Sadly the WD only got one shot in, because after the clip was filmed the motor seized, sadly the chassis isn't very free rolling so I have a feel that might have contributed to its early demise. Ah well, it will be fixed in due time, and will feature in my next update!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 8

Great stuff Jack, love the videos.  :)

Steve.

Hey Steve, thank you! It's an aspect that brings the models to life. I will endeavor to grab a few more next time i'm at the club!

Lovely scene for some great trains, dunno about having a WD on a passenger train, the drivers shoelaces would have come undone.

I dunno! I started a thread called WD 2-8-0's pre nationalization, and in the thread it was advised that there were recorded histories of WD's running passenger trains (only one or two occasions though), however, it won't be running on any more passenger trains as the motor went pop shortly after the video!

Marvellous Jack! Love re re-painted coaching stock...they look so smart in Malachite Green. Who's brand of paint did you use? It looks spot on to my eye.....

Thank you!! I'm really taken with them, I've been seriously considering repainting all of my coaching stock. (That would be a tedious undertaking i'm sure) It's an old tin of Humbrol Enamel I was given by one of the club members, I'm worried that I won't be able to find anything similar when it runs out though :( Might have to try and mix my own colour-match with acrylics. 

Hopefully more updates soon!

• Like 1