Southern Railway Modelling - Miscellaneous Project work

Jack P

On 09/05/2019 at 19:00, KeithHC said:

Any news on the K and a double dome C2X as yet........

Keith

Keith, the K is sitting on my desk at the moment, however, it was designed 'freehand' as it were and there was no reference to any technical drawings of a K, so there are a few proportions that are a bit off. Should be in primer soon and i'll snap some pictures. The C2x is a little ways off, there is a special coach, and then the I3 (body only), D3, B4x that are above it on the list.

On 11/05/2019 at 06:24, Nick C said:

Jack,

Can I ask where you got the smokebox lamp brackets on the WD from? I need a couple of sets to add to Ivatt tanks for my new project.

Nick

Hi Nick, No connection - http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/lswr_sr_fittings.htm  I got them from Brassmasters, at £2.00 a fret I think I got 9 or 10, they are quite fiddly, and my suggestion would be bending them before cutting them off the fret!

On 09/05/2019 at 18:35, Brocp said:

That's awesome mate,

You might have to hook me up with your mate, I've got some LMS ideas that I'd love to get drawn up.

He's got plenty of excellent (Read: Southern) ideas on his mind at the moment! But I can have a chat with him once we clear the backlog

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 45568 said:

Thanks Peter,

I am indeed, however I built the Z from GAP and I found that I really couldn't get along with it - the resin was extremely brittle, and there had clearly been a few compromises made. The benefit of the J that we (he) are working on, is that I have input as to any tweaks that I want made, and as i'm building two, (one for him and one for me) the parts are free!

• Informative/Useful 1

I'm going to sound very selfish here, but it's quite frustrating reading about all these goodies and not knowing whence (if) they're going to be available for us! I think I asked previously, and I can't remember if you replied or not - if so I apologise.

I do look forward to seeing the results though. :) 

• Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

I'm going to sound very selfish here, but it's quite frustrating reading about all these goodies and not knowing whence (if) they're going to be available for us! I think I asked previously, and I can't remember if you replied or not - if so I apologise.

I do look forward to seeing the results though. :) 

Hey Sem, 

You're absolutely not selfish at all! The honest answer is - I have no idea, when they'll be available there is a little bit of a process involved. James - the guy who actually does all the hard work, designs and prints these in his spare time while at university, so he tries to fit in as much design time as possible and then get printing time sorted. He does a few test prints to make sure that everything comes out the way it should, and to iron out any kinks, followed by an series of dry fitting tests.

Once we are both happy with whats been done and what we are working with he puts everything in a box and sends it to New Zealand, Where I assemble, paint, (and in the case of the J, line out) assemble the gearbox and motor, get the chassis working and put it all together and test. There is of course plenty of feedback and communication between us while this goes on.

The J is still having parts designed and the important test prints will go on this week, so we should know what needs to be done, if there are few to no issues, I'd imagine that I should have a prototype here in a few weeks. The outcome of all of this still leaves me with a big ?? as to when/if the J and other things will become available. Without sounding like DJM's recent update, it's technically James intellectual property, so it's up to him if he wants to put it out there on shape-ways or whatever - that being said I know that you have access to your own 3D printer, so I could have a chat to him about putting you in touch if you wanted to be involved in the process somehow?

• Friendly/supportive 1

A quick modelling update. I decided a while ago that i'd be repainting my Queen Mary brake, however, upon pulling the van out of the packaging the Bachmann tooling really shows its age, especially when you put it next to its younger, smaller Pillbox brother.

33961857248_b8c491e154_b.jpg

It's not atrocious, the dimensions are pretty spot on, but one of the most glaring issues is the moulded handrails, so they were the first to go, there are a few other little details that will be added, the other main one will be glazing, both of the duckets and the cabin ends.

47839223191_ea59e71de4_b.jpg

The sandboxes on the end are ok, the lower parts just need thinning down a little, There are also the pipes that lurk in the darkness in there, which will be added in due course.

Finally, the other issue that I decided to address was the brake linkages, there's nothing particularly wrong with them, but they are lacking in detail a bit, the photo isn't great, but it's supposed to just be a representation, not 100% prototypically accurate, but I did work from the scale drawings in 'an illustrated history of southern wagons vol 4'. I doubt you'll ever really see it, especially once its all black and weathered, but it was enjoyable to build it all, and i'm glad it's there now.

33961857178_737daaae9e_b.jpg

A few other bits and pieces need doing and then it'll be ready for paint. I'm still not sure if I want to replace the bogies with Maunsell coach bogies, or if i'm happy to just use the slightly older Bachmann ones - does anyone have any suggestions?

Not the most intensive face-lift, but hopefully it won't be as glaringly old anymore!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Jack P said:

that being said I know that you have access to your own 3D printer, so I could have a chat to him about putting you in touch if you wanted to be involved in the process somehow?

That would be very much appreciated - At the very least I may be able to do a few test prints. :) 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this is relevant, but the double dome C2X kit is still available from DJH, and it is not bad at all.

SJPP406000702180406.jpg.0a4750d09f6527bd5fbe25a3cf215b51.jpg

Turning to your Queen Mary Brake - I like what you have done but as I have 8 of them I'm not sure that I have the enthusiasm to follow!

Besides which, if I did, they'd bring out a new and better one!

Tony

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Turning to your Queen Mary Brake - I like what you have done but as I have 8 of them I'm not sure that I have the enthusiasm to follow!

Besides which, if I did, they'd bring out a new and better one!

Absolutely they would! Honestly the tooling really shows its age under scrutiny, but it's not too much effort to bring it to an acceptable standard - I wouldn't fancy doing 8 though!

33969230008_09df253b48_b.jpg

Managed to get all of the handrails glued in last night, the sanding gear is copper rod glued into the sandboxes which can just be made out, and the interior partitions have been extended down. I also made a start on detailing the bogies, 'tie bars' done on one, just need to do the other, and then possibly do the footboards.

I cannot seem to find a colour that matches SR Wagon brown, which is a real pain - I could've sworn that previously Tamiya Nato brown was a close match, but it seems to be very light. The colour you see sprayed here is a mix of humbrol 173, 33, satin varnish and a drop of tamiya XF-7 (red) It's not perfect, the real colour looks much deeper and more purple, but it's much better than the bright, light brown I was using before. and will have to do until I can get some phoenix colour.

Sorry for the average quality photos of late, should have the camera back soon.. (and maybe something to take photos on)

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

There was an article in MRJ about upgrading the Queen Mary's. Can't remember which eddition. How about modelling the original conversions with LBSCR bodywork.

Keith

I was wondering if the conversion would be easy using the Bachmann QM, looks like a few of the dimensions would be out, could be a good base though. An ideal candidate for 3D printing!

1 hour ago, Jack P said:

I was wondering if the conversion would be easy using the Bachmann QM, looks like a few of the dimensions would be out, could be a good base though. An ideal candidate for 3D printing!

I am also considering it as a basis for the Coulsdon and Sutton powercar. That would be a talking point.

Keith

Ps a 3D print body would be good though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Managed to get out to the model club on Friday,

47884240931_8f5459e9c3_b.jpg

There's a very particular kind of joy you experience when you manage to connect 5 coaches, a parcel van and a loco together entirely with screw links. I suppose also knowing that every vehicle has been tinkered with by yourself is kind of pleasing too.

This lone Birdcage is nearing completion, and waiting for its friends. I did have the ghastly realization that the Crimson versions roof ventilators are different to the ones on the olive releases, does anyone have any insight as to when they were changed?

40918130503_84109a3b41_b.jpg

You can see here the effects of a panel line wash to bring out the details

40918130513_ecb1936352_b.jpg

Back to the phone camera for these next shots. 2485, the Ashford modified E4 has received its new safety valves, and is now waiting on the correct whistle, it still needs to be weathered - as you can probably tell from those bright coupling rods!

40917819623_308b7af89b_b.jpg

The sheet of  BR coach lining arrived, so I was able to get the boiler bands finished (again) on the H2, it's had a few coats of MiG Satin Varnish and will now be curing for the next few days before getting a very light weathering. I am hoping that soon, I can call the H2 done, for good!

40917819613_56f07cf29a_b.jpg

Bonus videos:

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jack,

Great video's, I swear that the mother and daughter watching the E4 hauled train go through move, perhaps disappointed that the train didn't stop?

Some lovely modelling.

Kind regards,

Richard B 

• RMweb Premium

Noted Tony's reference to DJH C2X, very nice model Tony. DJH are very good but for your info Branchlines/SEFincast also have a C2X kit which I have built and seems good too. Mine is in BR grime.

IMG_4766_(1).JPG.15ad9501cb59e18adc9f0760c2ff42b1.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

16 hours ago, 30368 said:

Great video's, I swear that the mother and daughter watching the E4 hauled train go through move, perhaps disappointed that the train didn't stop?

Richard, 

For a branch train it certainly looks like its flying through. Perhaps the ensuing gust moved them? Thank you for your kind words - I realised that I'd made another error in that the Birdcage coach number closest the guards end is in the wrong place. I spent a few hours last night removing them and applying them in the right place, as well as finishing off the other H Class i've been working on.

That C2X looks fantastic, I might have to look into adding one to the pile!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small update,

I've been working on more malachite green SECR Coaches, and a couple of wagons, nothing particularly exciting, but it's keeping me busy.

First up are these two LBSC wagons, the first retains the original ends, but has the later small logo livery. The second wagon has the cut down ends and the large logo livery, I've also made an attempt at pre-shading the interiors and weathering them down, no external weathering as yet, the aim is to complete a few more and weather them all in one go.

47969191312_99c4b1cdd3_b.jpg

Next, there's the modified H class at the head of a short rake, just sitting on my desk, but its finally had numbers and letters applied, I still need to do the front buffer-beam. I think the etched plate on the splasher looks nice, i've tried to tone it down with a black wash so its not as stark. Does anyone know if these locos retained the Gold band that ran along the curve and the bottom of the splasher, i've seen one loco that definitely had it in 1949, but i'm not sure if this was an embellishment of this specific loco, or if they all were turned out this way? 

Wainwright  'H' class 0-4-4T 1305 in unlined black livery and Bulleid's sunshine lettering at its home shed of Ashford prior to being BR branded in February 1949. 31305 would survive until withdrawal at Stewarts Lane in November 1962 [Mike Morant collection]

47969250101_87cd1e4af1_b.jpg

Finally thanks to @Mallard60022 I have these Maunsell Tourist Open sides (and have since Feb of last year!) to go on my recently butchered composite coach, They are waiting for the grab handles and door handles to be fitted before they're ready to go on, I also need to file down the sides of the ends on Hornby donor to get closer to R1 width.

47969142063_2e20f3e673_b.jpg

That's all for now!

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Jack P said:

Small update,

I've been working on more malachite green SECR Coaches, and a couple of wagons, nothing particularly exciting, but it's keeping me busy.

First up are these two LBSC wagons, the first retains the original ends, but has the later small logo livery. The second wagon has the cut down ends and the large logo livery, I've also made an attempt at pre-shading the interiors and weathering them down, no external weathering as yet, the aim is to complete a few more and weather them all in one go.

47969191312_99c4b1cdd3_b.jpg

Next, there's the modified H class at the head of a short rake, just sitting on my desk, but its finally had numbers and letters applied, I still need to do the front buffer-beam. I think the etched plate on the splasher looks nice, i've tried to tone it down with a black wash so its not as stark. Does anyone know if these locos retained the Gold band that ran along the curve and the bottom of the splasher, i've seen one loco that definitely had it in 1949, but i'm not sure if this was an embellishment of this specific loco, or if they all were turned out this way? 

Wainwright  'H' class 0-4-4T 1305 in unlined black livery and Bulleid's sunshine lettering at its home shed of Ashford prior to being BR branded in February 1949. 31305 would survive until withdrawal at Stewarts Lane in November 1962 [Mike Morant collection]

47969250101_87cd1e4af1_b.jpg

Finally thanks to @Mallard60022 I have these Maunsell Tourist Open sides (and have since Feb of last year!) to go on my recently butchered composite coach, They are waiting for the grab handles and door handles to be fitted before they're ready to go on, I also need to file down the sides of the ends on Hornby donor to get closer to R1 width.

47969142063_2e20f3e673_b.jpg

That's all for now!

What a joy to see those little strips of metal at alst being employed as they should. Thanks for showing that Jack. Over a year.....grief!

I look forward to seeing the full job. Remind me what the donor coach was if you would.

Incidentally, your cutting colours and vegetation have inspired me to get my lot sorted after too many weeks waiting!

Sincerly,

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

Re:  The  Brass  Splasher  Beading

In  SR  Bulleid  Black  and  BR Black these are officially painted over on similar  locos of other classes that I am aware of,  however:  it was quite common for crews to clean the paint off and expose the brass again to embellish their loco.

Pete

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

What a joy to see those little strips of metal at alst being employed as they should. Thanks for showing that Jack. Over a year.....grief!

I look forward to seeing the full job. Remind me what the donor coach was if you would.

Incidentally, your cutting colours and vegetation have inspired me to get my lot sorted after too many weeks waiting!

Sincerly,

Phil

Hey Phil, It's scary to think how long its been!

I used it as a bit of a test bed when I first practiced soldering, so I had to start by de-soldering everything. The donor coach was just a BR Hornby composite, I plan on building a rake of R1 and R0 stock in the future, so it won't be the last coach I hack the sides off.

Thank you for your kind words RE vegetation - sadly none of the work is my own, as this is the club layout, I am glad it proved inspirational though!

11 hours ago, IWCR said:

Re:  The  Brass  Splasher  Beading

In  SR  Bulleid  Black  and  BR Black these are officially painted over on similar  locos of other classes that I am aware of,  however:  it was quite common for crews to clean the paint off and expose the brass again to embellish their loco.

Pete

Hi Pete, Thank you for that, I had a feeling it would be something like that. Going to have to be a case of working from photos I think!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/05/2019 at 23:44, Jack P said:

And here's a close up of that gorgeous bogie, I still need to weather the roof.

40840766273_0ff7580f8e_b.jpg

That is superb work. How did you get the oily effect on the axle boxes?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/06/2019 at 09:22, 57xx said:

That is superb work. How did you get the oily effect on the axle boxes?

Thank you kindly!

A product called 'Wilder NitroLine Old Grease', it was recommended to me by @Brocp - check out his workbench for further use of said product.

Small update, 

I've been working on finishing off a few parcel vans, including an interloper (the first of many). I've been adding weight in the form of car wheel weights inside, and in the case of these southern vans, a full repaint and renumber, weathering is now done too.

48033908856_166dc6d64e_b.jpg

48033909251_750050f783_b.jpg

48033909001_0ac35c91ba_b.jpg

Here is the interloper in the form of an LNER CCT, it hasn't been renumbered (any subsequent ones will be) but I did add a panel line wash, and picked out the handles on the doors, also toned the roof down, needs a final spray over the roof and then some matt varnish to seal it all in. It's certainly nice to add a bit of variety. There should be some LMS parcel vans joining it soon too!

48033950673_fdc5e9e177_b.jpg

Finally, the SR Queen Mary is nearly done, paint is finished, couplings have been added and it's now waiting for transfers, you can see the representation of the brake linkages underneath. I also need to add the tiebars (?) to the bogies, I cut the moulded ones off and at the time of taking this picture was still waiting for a restock on my brass black, this has now arrived, the bars have been blackened and just need to be glued on. Once this is done, and it's been lettered and numbered, it will also be in line for a coat of matt varnish and some weathering.

48034019572_bb92e27d78_b.jpg

That's all for now!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Nice update Jack!

I'm a great fan of the variety that could be seen in parcels and other van traffic, so the more interlopers the better.

Have you refurbished any of the SR Bogie (corridor) Luggage Vans as per below?SJPPC11003402171211.jpg.2f6a316224514b1720ed7062b0fd46b2.jpg

Tony

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Tony, Thanks for that.

I agree, I think the varied traffic also gives me some exposure to the other constituents of the big 4. I haven't yet had the chance to rebuild one of the corridor luggage vans, but I do have one on order, along with the Roxey detailing kit, so its certainly going to be in the works soon. Both of your examples look great!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1