Southern Railway Modelling - Miscellaneous Project work

Jack P

On 01/02/2020 at 12:16, Bustered said:

That’s better!

best wishes

Nige

On 01/02/2020 at 12:23, sem34090 said:

As a short-term measure I cheated and just heavily weathered it, but a proper repaint will be in order eventually.

These look great guys! I think they're a nice little model. I'll certainly be keeping my eye out to see if they drop in price being the 'wrong colour'!

Something slightly different on the workbench at the moment. 

49489801582_37ab3f38ff_b.jpg

49489801507_a8384276d2_b.jpg

First weathering steps completed last night, I need to mix some different shades and colours of grime, as well as adding some powders. The loco isn't mine, I offered to weather it for a friend in the UK, but it's nice having the opportunity to play with models that I would otherwise not buy. It is also great practice for me, meaning I get to try out different techniques and look for reference photos from different regions.

I've also started working on my shed scene diorama on my photoboard. I've never really worked with plasticard, or materials needed to build structures so i'm a bit tentative about it all, but it's slowly coming together.  

49489658441_7172de4206_b.jpg

I managed to scratchbuild a water tower and a little hut from brick sheet, the water tower is even almost square! If anyone has any tips they wouldn't mind sharing or can point me in the direction of some interesting how-to's etc. I would be most grateful!

That's all for now!

JP

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Just this starting layer of grime makes all the difference already! The smokebox makes the whole engine complete! He will be ecstatic when he receives this! If I'm not mistaken, the gloss/shine underneath is the standard Hornby stain finish? 

Edited by Ribird

• RMweb Gold
On 31/01/2020 at 18:37, Tony Teague said:

Jack

You've convinced me on the LSWR brake vans; I have been sitting looking at a pair of them and they are just not right!

Will have to take the bull by the horns.

Tony

Jack

Reverting to the brake van - to what extent did you strip it down before re-spraying?

I was wondering, given all the decals go back in the same place!

(Being extremely lazy!).

Tony

On 07/02/2020 at 10:57, Tony Teague said:

Jack

Reverting to the brake van - to what extent did you strip it down before re-spraying?

I was wondering, given all the decals go back in the same place!

(Being extremely lazy!).

Tony

Howdy Tony,

I pulled the glazing out and then used a fiberglass pencil to take the transfers off - I left the plaque on the side so I knew where to stick the metal one onto. 

I just masked up the ends and with some careful positioning made sure to keep them clear of any overspray!

Still havent'got around to putting new transfers on yet though!

Hope this helps with the laziness ;)

Jack

Edited by Jack P

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jack P said:

Howdy Tony,

I pulled the glazing out and then used a fiberglass pencil to take the transfers off - I left the plaque on the side so I knew where to stick the metal one onto. 

I just masked up the ends and with some careful positioning made sure to keep them clear of any overspray!

Still havent'got around to putting new transfers on yet though!

Hope this helps with the laziness ;)

Jack

Yup, just the job!

Thx

• Like 1

Nothing much to report at the moment.

Still adjusting to life in the new place as well as a focus on other hobbies while the weather is nice!

I did manage to get out to the model club yesterday for the AGM, Lots of compliments on my H2 and Lord Nelson, which is always nice! I was also given some stuff from an estate lot that a fellow club member didn't need - this included a rather well built 6 wheel P4 chassis for a van of some description. I'll take some photos of these at a later date! This is the same member who gave me some 'blueprints' of southern stuff. which I have since had laminated and put up on the wall

49545194727_1b03f78404_b.jpg

A recent ebay win, was this SR van, it's been extensively rebuilt from the tri-ang base

49523677072_ec90a58348_b.jpg

All I've done so far is fit sprung screw link couplings, still need to fit sprung buffers - will get around to it eventually! It runs superbly though and makes a unique addition to my fleet. Since purchasing I found out through the sellers son that the builder has passed away. As such, apart from the buffers, I will be leaving it completely as is, as a sort of tribute. 

I've also been working on the 3D Printed i3 body that@Javier L Printed and sent to me. I have modified the SEF nickle silver chassis a little bit, but it needs further tweaking in order to get it sitting right, This is all thanks to the SEF body sitting too high on the chassis. It is coming along slowly though!

49523458576_c7f428dbfc_b.jpg

Just to round things off here are two black locos on the club's DCC layout turntable:

49523458581_2ebdf40137_b.jpg

49523677037_93b151f5df_b.jpg

That's all for now!

• Like 18

Nothing particularly exciting to report, 

I spent some time over the weekend upgrading my PC,

49576799752_0bfbe6744b_b.jpg

It now has a Miami vice colour scheme

49576580741_ab6973dc2f_b.jpg

How does this relate to modelling? Well, strictly speaking, it doesn't, but it does mean I have the capacity to edit videos, so hopefully there might be some better running videos coming up. Also I like tinkering, but I honestly needed another expensive hobby like a hole in the head!

I finished off the O1 over the weekend too, ready to be sent back to it's owner. This involved properly coaling a loco for the first time;

49576571066_fd96fd1fb1_b.jpg

I added some details like fire irons, lamps and other clutter. 

49576571076_32322f6fda_b.jpg

Next was a 3 link coupling in front, the Hornby screw link looked (and was, from my understanding) wrong. 

49576799667_5cb771cc10_b.jpg

49576799687_b21b526fec_b.jpg

I also spent some time over the weekend tweaking my two H's, and fruitlessly trying to fit a DCC decoder and get the body on over it. I also realised that in the move, I've misplaced my Sprog. Looking all over and at my parents place produced no results, I'm horrified to think it, but possibly it got thrown out! Eeeeek!! I will continue looking.

I'd like to get your guys opinion on something - up until now (as far as railways are concerned) the world ended on January first 1948, I've ignorantly been ignoring the change to BR for the longest time. However, recently i've been tossing up the idea of changing my time frame very slightly. In the beginning, I had originally wanted to model 1943-1947 but deemed this as being too broad of a window. After much debate I settled on 1947 - somewhere between the 1st of January and 31st December. 

I am now considering moving this window again, to include 1948 - as I continue to research repainting dates and shed allocations etc, it seems that there is much more information immediately post nationalization than there is Pre. I also think that it opens up a rather unique period of the railways in Britain, with multiple liveries, different branding styles. It also gives me a chance to produce Merchant Navy 'New Zealand Line', Which I was planning to do as 21C21 (with some creative licence), as a slightly more accurate representation.

Interestingly what spurred me on and down this rabbit hole, was a picture from the latest 'The Southern Way' with a B4x in grimy wartime black, at the head of a rake of blood and custard maunsells (equally grimy!). The picture is dated 1950, so obviously a bit of a reach, but it shows the kind of unique variety I would be able to represent.

What do you folks think? Is it more interesting to represent one of the big four on the brink of being assimilated into the nations railways, or would you rather see the transitional period between the two? I'd love some thoughts and opinions!

Thanks in advance!

• Like 9

Although it might be a bit expensive for your layout what about multiple era's. So one day 1943-1947 the next could be 1948-1950 so you can apply as needed. In planning for my hopeful model of Rowfant I have based the time period to cover 1955 up to closure in 1967. I can go from pre-grouping stock to diesel and a lot in between.

Keith  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Jack P said:

Interestingly what spurred me on and down this rabbit hole, was a picture from the latest 'The Southern Way' with a B4x in grimy wartime black, at the head of a rake of blood and custard maunsells (equally grimy!). The picture is dated 1950, so obviously a bit of a reach, but it shows the kind of unique variety I would be able to represent.

What do you folks think? Is it more interesting to represent one of the big four on the brink of being assimilated into the nations railways, or would you rather see the transitional period between the two? I'd love some thoughts and opinions!

Thanks in advance!

I haven't seen the pic, but those B&C Maunsells obviously could not have been painted in that livery more than a couple of years at the most, yet you say they are grimy. Perhaps washing plant was under-maintained, even by 1950. Maybe they had gone to overhaul still in olive, which would have been more than a decade old, hence already B&C. 

I think it is possible to have a series of periods - only your wallet might complain! So Pre-war, primarily olive, olive and olive. Post-war, say malachite with a bit of olive. 1950 - B&C, Malachite (plenty of that) and some olive. Loco liveries can cross over those periods, as that B4x shows. Stations, signals and track layouts saw little change in those eras, I suggest. 

If you were to wonder whether what I have suggested is exactly what I am up to, you might be right!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jack

As you know, I am biased - towards the pre-nationalisation period, but where I have sympathy is that I chose '38 - '48 because it gave me the potential for a range of liveries - Maunsell olive was still around, wartime black came and went, and malachite appeared - so in some ways you are simply looking for a similar flexibility but across a different period of change.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I see nothing wrong with mixing periods - I personally try to avoid any glaring anachronisms, such as a loco withdrawn in 1950 hauling BR green stock, but otherwise have a fairly wide range of interest. Rule 1 always applies!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1948 sounds like an interesting period to model with stock still in pre nationalisation liveries. I've always wondered how long it would have taken nationalisation to take hold, maybe that would give you an excuse to model some out of region stock 'on trial' as well ;)

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your input, I do sincerely appreciate it!

I think I might be cheekily trying to defer the decision. But at the end of the day I realise that it's something I'll have to make peace with - whatever I decide. 

As many of you have pointed out, the transitional period was just that, and it's unlikely that there would be anything more than a slight change by extending things out by a year, if anything, it's a good excuse to run the 'Trials Locomotives'! I will continue to ponder this decision and see if there's anything that really piques my fancy from 48' that I simply couldn't do without.

On another note - I went to hunt for my sprog one last time before I bite the bullet and buy another, No luck there, But I did find 4 more boxes that I had forgotten about!

All big, green express locos! Here are some gratuitous photos of them 'on shed' 

49585318297_8e012cb6c4_b.jpg

You can see the light bar has been added at the top!

49585083406_f399d1c7a9_b.jpg

49584585123_0d620da9ae_b.jpg

49585083416_98343de884_b.jpg

This has given me a real kick up the proverbial to get this scene finished. I'm still playing with the track layout, but the plan is to have the roads hooked up as a DCC programming tracks, so it will do more than just 'look pretty', although not much more!

I've also gone and placed an order with Roxey for the majority of stock needed for my breakdown train (just to add to the endless list of projects!).

That's all for now!

• Like 15

Nothing super exciting, but a burst of modelling energy means two updates this week!

As part of a trade I've managed to get my hands on this - Converted RTR/Scratchbuilt beauty. I don't know the provenance of it unfortunately, as the person i'm getting it off isn't the builder either. Mty understanding is that it comes with a box full of parts to finish off and some documentation/research. I believe it is the Pullman car 'Topaz';

49594389126_a6f8c47ddd_b.jpg

I'm not as clued up on pullman coaches as some members of the forum, but nonetheless, i'm looking forward to the challenge!

I've also changed up my work space at home, a bigger desk (albeit not by much) means more room for modelling. It's deeper than the old one, and has a nice curve in it, so while the measurements on paper only appear to add an extra 10cm in depth and 15cm in length it feels significantly bigger and sturdier overall!

49593889153_04473d5706_b.jpg

That's all for now!

• Like 9

On 29/02/2020 at 00:30, AVS1998 said:

Jack, that's definitely an SECR type G First Parlour, built 1910 - so Topaz, Emerald, Garnet and I believe there was another but I can't recall the name. It looks very tidy - I'm definitely stealing the bodywork for my own purposes! 

The desk looks like it'll give you lots of space to work on, and I can't believe how tidy it is! But will it stay that way? 

I'll make sure to PM you with some detail photos - if that would help?

I've been working on a few other projects, which means the desk has not stayed tidy.

49620417187_87fe74bf66_b.jpg

49619620827_7a22c6cc65_b.jpg

49618839028_a0d649bc84_b.jpg

49618838748_6090bdd340_b.jpg

49619355701_beeb4dc9ab_b.jpg

The Crane has had the last of the detailing added to it. Needs some further weathering, but not much!

I've also just started working on the first of 3 support coaches to go with the crane.

49622816928_dacb171654_b.jpg

Of course I got this far before realizing that I'd forgotten to add the interior window frames and door hinges.

49623333141_98c523e01e_b.jpg

Some quick work taking it apart saw me managing to add the missing detail on one of the two sides before calling it a night. I'm off to the hardware store today to pick up a dowel to help me properly form the tumblehome. I also could really do with some folding bars - does anyone have any suggestions?

In order to get some practice in for the support train coaches, I picked this up from Hattons, it was already partially assembled. 

49619620797_170d73ee47_b.jpg

49619620762_d9d87e8568_b.jpg

It's an SECR Driving trailer, from set 660. It had been painted, but wasn't fully finished, missing parts like door handles, and the driving end details. It's still not fully finished, I just need to add the handrails on the end of the coach. The soldering certainly isn't the tidiest, but under a coat of etch primer it actually looks ok!

49618838688_1543fc045e_b.jpg

49619620777_e64a763b7d_b.jpg

This is just a first pass to make sure that everything looks ok before final priming and painting etc. 

That's all for now!

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I'm still terrified about tackling the Roxey LBSCR Tri-Composite I've got in the build queue - Again I shall be watching with interest.

Also, How did you do the tumblehome on that brake?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

that looks to have been an amazing find with Hattons, you always strike lucky! 

I always keep an eye out for stuff! I also needed an excuse for a a practice run, and cheap is good if anything goes wrong!

1 hour ago, sem34090 said:

I'm still terrified about tackling the Roxey LBSCR Tri-Composite I've got in the build queue - Again I shall be watching with interest.

Also, How did you do the tumblehome on that brake?

I was pretty concerned but I sort of just jumped in and did it - make sure you read the instructions a couple of times and the (unlike me) actually follow them. Roxey kits are pretty easy to put together though!

The tumblehome is a bit iffy. I used these home made rolling dowels - just bits of wood from bunnings, cut slightly oversize.  the instructions are pretty good at explaining how to form it against a piece of wood.

49623623078_dfaa8c404f_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've been fortunate enough to get sick - I suppose it is the change of season. This meant I spent most of the weekend inside, which in turn meant more time at the workbench!

49632936633_a4be531d1e_b.jpg

49633459786_90ac25827c_b.jpg

The bogies are pinched from the SECR driving trailer. I still need to do a few things like build the backs of the battery boxes and the brake linkages. This will be done from plastikard when i'm sure that all of the soldering on the body is complete. I'm also aware that the buffers aren't strictly accurate but they're close enough for me.

49633730117_208d7b51c1_b.jpg

This is the state of play this evening. The wheels I have in stock turned out to be the wrong diameter AND the wrong gauge (32 sets of EM gauge wheels). Unfortunatley the reason I've had to stop 'playing' is because i've run out of solder.  Obviously with the move and all I haven't kept on top of my supply management. I've ordered wheels and solder, I expect it will still be the better part of a week or two until I can pick this up again though. In that time I still need to find some folding bars!

I also had the good fortune to pick this up from our local auction site:

49633497751_b2c84b06bb_b.jpg

It's the full 8 coach Coronation set (minus beaver tail). Everything is there, as far as I can tell. Roofs, floors, bearings and the aforementioned wheelsets I thought I could pinch for the LBSC coaches are these ones, which are EM.

You might be asking why a strictly southern modeller would have a set of coaches that, even with the most flexible bending of rule one, would be a real stretch to be seen on southern metals? Well, it's because I picked these up for the princely sum of £35 inc postage. They look to be an old D&S kit, I'm not sure when they will get built or if they even will, I certainly have plenty of other projects to focus on.

That's all for now - Thanks all for reading!

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've been working on some comission bits for @BrightonBoi, A rename and number of the N15 and a renumber and buffer swap on the H. Both have also been weathered

49650276407_c16e9abd31_b.jpg

49650276377_df8da8dab3_b.jpg

49650276357_e2b175f503_b.jpg

49649999866_697b0728ce_b.jpg

I'm still sick, and waiting on bits so this has been a nice diversion. I'm sure you'll agree there's nothing better for the flu than enamel fumes! 

That's all for now

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, DLT said:

Whisky is pretty effective

With all the panic about COVID-19, I've been told to stay home from work. I wonder how they'd feel if I turned up on monday with brown paper bag in hand? Could give it a go.

5 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

Jack, could you go into a little more detail about your weathering technique? What would you say is your bare minimum weathering process for a bog standard locomotive? 

Thanks for asking Alex, I think recently I'm starting to find a technique that really works for me, more refinement is needed but the usual steps are:

- Carry out any detailing work, modifications etc

- Airbrush a coat of Humbrol gloss Clear (allow gloss coat to harden to atleast 24hrs)

- Airbrush dirty black mix onto all black surfaces above footplate I especially pay attention to the boiler behind the chimney, making sure to replicate the smoke stain)

- Airbrush dirty brown mix onto surfaces below footplate

- Washes, brush painting, powders (I only apply very small amounts of powder) and final touches (streaking, water marks, etc.)

I've found a lot of what weathering 'is' is in the technique, I'm pretty airbrush heavy, but i've seen amazing brush/powder weathering. I know it's a little bit of a nothing answer, but I hope it helps!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 2 weeks later...