Southern Railway Modelling - Miscellaneous Project work

Jack P

8 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

I mainly use "Black Night" Panel Line Wash from Ammo by Mig and "Black Smoke Wash" from Wilder Nitro Line, applied with a rigger brush in the corner of whatever is the object; the wash runs along the moulding lines as you have each described and enhances the moulding considerably.

Are either of these Acrylic by any chance Tony? I've spent the last few days trying some different Acrylic washes, and none of them seem to flow as well as the enamel ones, I can't seem to get a good middle barrier between enamel base coat and enamel wash - which seem to flow the best. I have tried Humbrol Clear, which sprays really nicely but gets cloudy when I attempt cleanup.

I could always move to an acrylic base coat, but I do like working with enamels.

Thoughts and comments appreciated from all 

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a little while since my last update.

I've just taken two weeks off from work. While I've managed to spend a bit of time at my workbench, I've stayed away from the computer and have done other exciting things. Like going to the dentist and getting my hair cut.

I'll start with the bad. I spent most of Sunday and Monday fixing a rather unfortunate mistake. I periodically take all of my locos out of storage to run them, dust them, and just generally check over them. I've started devising a register of what needs doing to what, and the condition they are currently in etc. Anyway, I had my P class out on the bench, resting on a paper towel. Unknown to me, the container of enamel thinner next to it had split at the bottom. Being that paper towels are rather absorbent - you can probably imagine what happened next. 

I managed to strip the P of all its separately fitted detail - which was surprisingly easy. Hattons definitely took a pragmatic approach to construction. Once stripped I cleaned it all up and the usual painting process ensued. Frustratingly, I wasn't able to find any 1947 condition photos of 1557, so I wasn't sure if the side tanks were lettered the same as 1558 which had the word and the number on the tank or the same as 1556, which had the word on the tanks and the numbers on the bunker. I also think because i've used 1558 as a base, it's incorrect for 1557, but I think the difference will be so slight that unless you're directly comparing them, you won't know!

48708555336_80c7a46822_b.jpg

48708220128_8b29fe6acd_b.jpg

48708717172_a10164f22b_b.jpg

While the loco was apart I decided to paint the cab interior cream, instead of the odd yellow colour it was. I fixed one of the cab doors in the open position too, it adds a little bit of interest I think. Crew still needs to be added, as well as some further weathering, but I think the contrast in tones of black do a pretty good job. 

The next, kind of bad bit came after My lovely partner gifted me with this (birthday). It's no secret that I think the jubilees are one of the most beautiful locos ever built - and I've been hanging out for one for ages!:

48708781347_a6741f1cae_b.jpg

48708781277_f9bb369d57_b.jpg

I gave it a coat of Humbrol clear (which I find amazing, thank you to whoever recommended it to me). And gave it a light weathering. In my usual fashion, this was before checking that the model was correct for a 1947 version of 'Australia' - thanks to @Brocp for shattering that illusion, but also providing me with plenty of Fowler tendered class members to renumber to. I managed to take the cab off and remove the numbers, however some of the paint came of the sides in the process, I have some Vallejo paint in that that is supposed to match, so I will try and patch it up as best I can. Here's hoping it will be hidden under the numbers anyway.  I will update on this one once suitable transfers have arrived!

In slightly better news, I managed to finish off this:

48708220073_786a83f086_b.jpg

48708220113_2c06815be6_b.jpg

I need to double check the number is correct and give it a coat of dullcote, there are a few more wagons that are in line to leave the paintshop soon, I should have enough for a sizable freight!

Finally, there's this;

48708717182_4a41a84f2e_b.jpg

Still waiting on transfers to complete. I am seriously smitten though. Both the Jubilee and the B1 are fantastic models, and I can't wait to finish them off, weather them further and add them to the fleet. Did they ever venture on to southern metals in 1947? I'm not sure, but do I care? Hmmmm.\

That's all for now 

Jack

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 21/08/2019 at 16:31, Tony Teague said:

Slightly late response, but this is a technique that I also use; I acquired, along with lots of other useful stuff, it on the Missenden Abbey weathering course with Mick Bonwick.

I mainly use "Black Night" Panel Line Wash from Ammo by Mig and "Black Smoke Wash" from Wilder Nitro Line, applied with a rigger brush in the corner of whatever is the object; the wash runs along the moulding lines as you have each described and enhances the moulding considerably.

Here are some Kent coalfild wagons on which I used this approach - amongst others!

SJPP713004102180713.jpg.5e917a171d6c03923201cded919e02f9.jpg

Tony

I really like the MIG stuff but I tried some Wilder washes and found they need loads of mixing and dried with a sheen, they also haven't kept very well and the pigment has almost solidified at the bottom of the pot.

I really like the P class and that's a fine birthday present Jack. The weathering is great, very subtle. What did you use to create the soot effect along the top of the loco? That looks very convincing. 

Steve.

Steve.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, sb67 said:

I really like the MIG stuff but I tried some Wilder washes and found they need loads of mixing and dried with a sheen, they also haven't kept very well and the pigment has almost solidified at the bottom of the pot.

Steve.

Steve

I agree; I find that Panel Line Washes separate very easily and do indeed require a lot of re-mixing before use.

Tony

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sb67 said:

I really like the P class and that's a fine birthday present Jack. The weathering is great, very subtle. What did you use to create the soot effect along the top of the loco? That looks very convincing.

Thanks Steve! I'm pretty happy with how the P turned out too! The soot effect along the top is the same weathered black/brown mix as the lower portion gently wafted across the top with the airbrush. I personally find this to work much better than powders.

• Like 1

Hello guys!

A few projects on the go at the moment, I'll let the pictures do the talking - of course if you have any questions, please ask away!

48570963137_95b28e5374_b.jpg

48741102282_f5ca9dc713_b.jpg

48741102217_49a98c3051_b.jpg

48736765112_dd1e6b815e_b.jpg

I got really sick of the HMRS transfers for the 'SOUTHERN' Soach lettering being rubbish, so I had some commissioned. Will update you on how they are when they arrive. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

The B1 looks excellent as does the rest of the stock. Are you modelling the Central region of the Southern Jack to warrant a 6 wheel tender 'King Arthur?' Or is it just for fun?

Regards Connor

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CCGWR said:

The B1 looks excellent as does the rest of the stock. Are you modelling the Central region of the Southern Jack to warrant a 6 wheel tender 'King Arthur?' Or is it just for fun?

Regards Connor

Thanks Connor, I wasn't sure about the B1. I thought it might be a little heavy, but I think I can live with it. I need to get some more tonal variation into my weathering at some point. 

As for the Arthur, I've moved my focus much closer to ex LBSC/SECR, which as you say, warrants a 6 wheel tendered Arthur. I have another one waiting in the wings, which I think might go green!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Jack P said:

Thanks Connor, I wasn't sure about the B1. I thought it might be a little heavy, but I think I can live with it. I need to get some more tonal variation into my weathering at some point. 

Nothing wrong with the weathering on the B1, considering your period i.e. 1947

Connor

2 hours ago, CCGWR said:

Nothing wrong with the weathering on the B1, considering your period i.e. 1947

Connor

This is true, maybe it's been worked hard? The only continuity issue I have is that 1189 entered service in August of 1947, and i'm not sure it would've got this dirty this quickly! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jack P said:

This is true, maybe it's been worked hard? The only continuity issue I have is that 1189 entered service in August of 1947, and i'm not sure it would've got this dirty this quickly! 

It definitely would have gotten that dirty mate. I've got photos of pretty new Streamlined Duchesses that are filthy and that was when the railways had a lot of cleaners compared to after the war.

• Like 1

Please excuse the poor quality iPhone photos. 

48778253012_bcdd790404_b.jpg

48778252937_3491145ee3_b.jpg

Managed to get 'Sir Constantine' numbered and lettered over the weekend. Still needs some touching up and weathering. I realize there are no snifting valves when there should be. There are a few avenues I'm pursuing for having these made, I can't seem to produce an acceptable version myself. 

• Like 11

On 16/09/2019 at 03:45, Jack P said:

Hello guys!

A few projects on the go at the moment, I'll let the pictures do the talking - of course if you have any questions, please ask away!

48570963137_95b28e5374_b.jpg

48741102282_f5ca9dc713_b.jpg

48741102217_49a98c3051_b.jpg

48736765112_dd1e6b815e_b.jpg

I got really sick of the HMRS transfers for the 'SOUTHERN' Soach lettering being rubbish, so I had some commissioned. Will update you on how they are when they arrive. 

Great photo's Jack, 1189 looks stunning! :)

Steve.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 23/09/2019 at 18:18, sb67 said:

Great photo's Jack, 1189 looks stunning! :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve! I do seem to have a real soft spot for some non-southern 4-6-0's!

UPDATE!:

A special lady has returned to her 'home shed'

48790677112_2675661b61_b.jpg

@DLT has done an amazing job on the motion and valve-gear. not to mention his ingenious method of retaining the body. I am extremely impressed.  I made a start on getting her finished off last night. I managed to devise a loco/tender coupling, which is a big step forward as I really wasn't sure what I would do for that! There is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel, with the list of what's left getting shorter and shorter. 

- re-do the clack valves (done last night just need to finish shaping them and attach them)

- Fit reversing gear/lever on the footplate

- Safety Valves and whistle

- Boiler backhead detailing and cab glazing

- Finish paint touchups and lining

- fit Nameplates

- Light weathering 

The class of 7 is really a bit of a minefield, different buffers (oval, round SR, round LBSC) and smoke deflector braces that seem to come and go at random. So i'm doing the best I can from a photo of 32331 'Beattie' dated early 1948, still in malachite green, 'Southern' on the tender, BR number in sunshine on the cabside. 

I'm hoping I can get to the model club some time soon and give her a proper run!

Edit: I also realised that despite these being rebuilds of ex LBSC locos and retaining the LBSC suffix of 'X' they all seemed to live at Basingstoke. Perhaps this is my excuse for picking up two sets of the Bulleid 'Shorties'?

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jack P

I have a few pictures of N15X. I hope these help, mine pictures are mostly in BR livery since that is the period I chose to model. Give me a shout if you need more.

S_SR_2332_Nine_Elms_18-1-36_SRA130126-XL.jpg.a5860c0c1ff80525723b8bbd068e1ea6.jpg

mm_32330-feltham.jpg.392c8d7d18915fb32892ff30b8bc2902.jpg2062485463_mm_32333-31.jpg.39ea4479a4e3454373715712c85a81b8.jpg

Notice the variation in smoke deflectors!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

DLT has made a very fine job of getting the N15x to this stage. And she does look splendid in malachite. Collaboration between the hemispheres is also to be admired as a modelling concept!

I regret to say I cannot like this class. Taking a Baltic tank that had excelled on its 50-mile romps with the heaviest trains the Brighton ran, and turning it into a rather second-rate 4-6-0 on a very different sort of railway makes the prototype hard to enthuse over. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

The thing was, that once the SR had done the Brighton and associated lines third rail electrification in the 1930s, there just wasn’t any work left for big 4-6-4 tank engines on the Central section. Extending their range by giving them a tender meant they could be useful on the Waterloo Bournemouth line of the Western section.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Northroader said:

The thing was, that once the SR had done the Brighton and associated lines third rail electrification in the 1930s, there just wasn’t any work left for big 4-6-4 tank engines on the Central section. Extending their range by giving them a tender meant they could be useful on the Waterloo Bournemouth line of the Western section.

Indeed, and Waterloo was demonstrating its usual careful "make do and mend" attitude by having the conversions done. But they were never going to be the Super Arthur that their designation implied, and so their new jockeys were doomed to disappointment. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Indeed, and Waterloo was demonstrating its usual careful "make do and mend" attitude by having the conversions done. But they were never going to be the Super Arthur that their designation implied, and so their new jockeys were doomed to disappointment. 

They were, perhaps strangely, extremely popular with GWR  crews when they worked on their lines. At home they were 'marmite' engines. Crews either loved them or hated them.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the comments. I realise they were regarded as rather mediocre engines, which is a shame because I think they are really very handsome!

48792759302_cf91996673_b.jpg

Managed to get the clack valves sorted. the shape was a bit of a pig to get right, but I think it's better, I've also fitted the reversing gear (?) on the footplate - this kit is a bit of a mixed media affair, these are from a Schools class that I stripped for spares. Now I need to either find, or make the reversing rod! I also added the black edging to the wheels on this side, and I replaced the 3rd boiler band. Tomorrows job will be to replace them all! (YIKES). Please ignore the rough paint finish, this was my first kitbuilt loco, and I'm sure if I was to do it again things would be different! (I hope)

@30368 what difference in the deflectors do you mean?

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Jack P, 

I agree that these were not very effective locomotives when employed as tender locomotives which helps to explain why they all ended up at Basingstoke!

Since my planned layout will be of Basingstoke shed I have no choice but to build one and they are quite handsome there Belpaire firebox providing some variety to all those round topped LSWR/SR types.

Kind regards,

Richard B 

• Like 2