Southern Railway Modelling - Miscellaneous Project work

Jack P

4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

DLT has made a very fine job of getting the N15x to this stage. And she does look splendid in malachite. Collaboration between the hemispheres is also to be admired as a modelling concept!

I regret to say I cannot like this class. Taking a Baltic tank that had excelled on its 50-mile romps with the heaviest trains the Brighton ran, and turning it into a rather second-rate 4-6-0 on a very different sort of railway makes the prototype hard to enthuse over. 

I have idly wondered whether the design had been very carefully optimised for the Brighton main line; 50 miles, mostly going flat out, with a number of gable summits where you could mortgage the boiler on the way up and recharge on the way down. I imagine that their duties on the South Western main line would have imposed rather different demands.

Best wishes

Eric

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, I should have explained re smoke deflectors.

The centre picture shows a strut securing the front edge of the deflector to the smokebox side. The other two images don't appear to have the strut. As far as I can see from all the illustrations that I have the strut is only featured on 30,31 and 32. 

My earlier comment regarding N15X's ending up at Basingstoke where lighthearted. Most of the written sources seem to agree that they were poor "compared to the N15s" which were of course a LSWR design and engine-men could be a little biased. I have noticed though that Basingstoke seemed to keep them pretty clean during their stay in the 1950s so perhaps they had some affection for them?

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I think one pair had a crease in them, with the upper section at a slightly different angle, towards the boiler?

4 hours ago, 30368 said:

Sorry, I should have explained re smoke deflectors.

The centre picture shows a strut securing the front edge of the deflector to the smokebox side. The other two images don't appear to have the strut. As far as I can see from all the illustrations that I have the strut is only featured on 30,31 and 32. 

Those deflector braces seemed to jump between members of the class like no-one's business. I've managed to find at least one photo of each loco with them at some point in their lives.  I see what you mean about the deflector bowing in at the top, but I think  that is just a trick of the light, AFAIK the class only ever had straight deflectors. It could also be damage?

I'm also not 100% sure of the cab arrangement. it seems like most things on this class were a bit of a mish-mash between LSWR and LBSCR practice. I have a drawing of the original L Cab, so i'll use that to formulate something passable - If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know!

48836475647_6fbcd4239f_b.jpg

Quick update, these are the precision pics transfers that I plan to use on my repainted stock. I'm very happy with them. They're only slightly less crisp than the Hornby tampo-printed lettering but are infinitely more clear than the HMRS transfers below

48484808732_1bb7292596_b.jpg

No affiliation, just a happy customer. 

That's all for now!

Edited by Jack P
comparison picture
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Brocp said:

Woah big difference! I better get him to make some LMS ones

Absolutely do - I'm happy! The actual repainting of coaches is the simple bit, it's the transfers that take me a lifetime!

Another quick update; One of the first locos I attempted weathering was a Bachmann C class. For a while now i've not been very happy with it. So it spent a week or so sitting in simple green, followed by a decent scrub with a toothbrush under some hot water. Annoyingly all of the handrail knobs seem to have 'dissolved'. No bother, this is where i'm at now:

48838758217_8cd96be0da_b.jpg

The footplate is almost entirely back to bare metal. A soft wire wheel in a dremel helped me immensely with paint removal. I'll hit it with a blast of Etch Primer tonight. The body has new handrail knobs glued in and the original wire reused, I've also done my best to remove the mould line from the top of the boiler.

48838758182_27c9f799e7_b.jpg

The tender is a comparatively pretty simple affair. The chassis has been painted with the same dirty black mix, and now just wants the DCC bits screwed back in. I'll add a bit of weight while i'm at it as it's very light! I'm waiting on some more Tamiya fine primer before my newly adopted black painting method. Which is Matt Black followed by Gloss clear. Apologies for the poor photos, I just couldn't be bothered getting the camera out last night!

48838582061_b6fa65cc57_b.jpg

The Cab interior has been sprayed cream. I find it's easier to paint the interior first. Let fully dry and then mask up before painting the outside black. 

48838582206_cedd5d8d4f_b.jpg

The chassis was fully stripped down too. I even went as far as taking the sandpipes off and taking most of it back to bare metal. Etch primer, followed by dirty black over everything. The coupling rods will be picked out and weathered separately at a later stage. Annoyingly it still runs like a pig. Maybe some lubrication is in order - What do folks suggest for lubricant?

48838582151_4e373e8653_b.jpg

Finally i've been working on one of two GWR vans. Still not quite as proficient as Mr EM Adam but it's certainly inspiring me to try and add a few small details. In the case of the Python A it's the brake rigging, A pretty rudimentary representation but it's better for being there. I need to figure out what to do with the windows next - it probably would've been easier to follow the instructions and cut them out before gluing the body together, hmmm. 

It's also the first time I used my previously mentioned coffman clamp. Very happy, a few more moments (this time) spent making sure everything was nice and square has resulted in a very free rolling chassis. I've fallen into the trap of adding too much weight to wagons, so I spent last night going back through everything and reducing the added weight to 20g per wagon, and up to 30g for things like Horseboxes and the Python A. This came about when one of my E4's struggled with a van train. Those Bachmann E4's are pretty darn powerful, but some of my wagons were weighted at 60g+!! less is more methinks. I've also purchased some cheap kitchen scales so I can attempt to get everything up to (or down to) a similar weight. 

On the topic of weight, I was AMAZED at the N15x's performance on the club layout. Although sadly It won't negotiate the corners and the finescale wheels struggle with the track (maybe it would help being compensated?) - but it managed to pull 16 pullman coaches from a standing start, with the train on a curve. That hefty Whitemetal body certainly helps with adhesion. I must get on and finish that!

Anyway, ended up being not so short. Comments and criticism welcomed!

Edited by Jack P
Formatting went horribly wrong
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

So Jack, in 4mm scale the N15X is a good performer unlike the prototype!

Re lubrication - there are many very light oils that are suitable, Dapol do one that I use and I guess Bachmann and Hornby do something similar. Have a look at :-

https://eileensemporium.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=category&task=listing&cid=1109&name=evergreen&Itemid=189

Regarding the N15X and compensation - I have very limited experience of compensated chassis but I suspect that it would not improve performance around sharp curves or points. This is more a feature of the wheel profile and flange depth. Perhaps someone who has built compensated chassis can offer some advice?

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

On 04/10/2019 at 09:48, 30368 said:

So Jack, in 4mm scale the N15X is a good performer unlike the prototype!

Re lubrication - there are many very light oils that are suitable, Dapol do one that I use and I guess Bachmann and Hornby do something similar. Have a look at :-

https://eileensemporium.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=category&task=listing&cid=1109&name=evergreen&Itemid=189

Regarding the N15X and compensation - I have very limited experience of compensated chassis but I suspect that it would not improve performance around sharp curves or points. This is more a feature of the wheel profile and flange depth. Perhaps someone who has built compensated chassis can offer some advice?

Kind regards,

Richard B

No question about it, she is fantastic. I agree with you about Compensation - it wouldn't help, it's just the coarse track that the finescale wheels struggle with.

I've found some decent 'Watch Oil' locally, which should be perfect, thank you for the link!

• Agree 1

Update; Possibly 'controversial' 

A friend of mine has recently been bitten by the railway bug and has been living vicariously through me. However there is only so much I can do as he really likes the idea of DCC sound. I decided maybe it was time to try something new, and I chipped one of my E4's and the B1. (I have some chips lying around from second hand purchases)

There was some faffing around on the club's programming track, but honestly, I'm hooked. The slow speed control and the ability to tweak CV functions are fantastic. The big one for me is that the track on this layout is in much better condition than the DC layout. It also offers more 'play value' being a 4 track main line with a 12 road staging yard and a 15 track through station on the other board. The corners still aren't forgiving, but they are better, and the nicely laid track helps to keep everything screw coupled together!

I think this means DCC for me in the future!

Here's a short 'bloopers' clip - wait for the end.

That's all for now!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

DCC isn't for everybody, and DC works as well as ever it did, of course, but if you've taken to the concept of tweaking CVs to fine-tune a loco to your taste, then you are probably going to revel in it. Similarly, Digitrax doesn't suit every modeller, and there are certainly more recent brands with contemporary displays and appearance, but they offer little more in the way of improving the running of trains. 

At the end of the day, DCC is a wide ocean into which you can simply dip, or choose complete immersion, perhaps with computer control. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over more than 20 years.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 07/10/2019 at 01:28, Oldddudders said:

DCC isn't for everybody, and DC works as well as ever it did, of course, but if you've taken to the concept of tweaking CVs to fine-tune a loco to your taste, then you are probably going to revel in it. Similarly, Digitrax doesn't suit every modeller, and there are certainly more recent brands with contemporary displays and appearance, but they offer little more in the way of improving the running of trains. 

At the end of the day, DCC is a wide ocean into which you can simply dip, or choose complete immersion, perhaps with computer control. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over more than 20 years.

My mate and I were discussing that - He's done a bit more research into things than I have. He said Digitrax (in his opinion) is not particularly easy to use compared to some other operating systems. It did seem easy enough for both of us to get to grips with. Had a great time stealing each others locos.  I think the clincher for me was the ability to turn the controller from 50% throttle to 0% throttle and have the loco slow to a standstill as opposed to an abrupt stop.

I've ordered a Sprog for home use, which is a computer throttle as opposed to a physical one - i've also ordered a few chips. I do need to do a bit of research as to what's 'best'. Exciting times!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Another quick update. 

I've been looking to upgrade my stock storage for a while now. I'm currently using the  not very good method of lining a shoe/hattons box with paper handy roll and taping it to the sides, then using folded handy roll to divide things. This works fine for things like coaches, where they are a uniform shape and stack neatly into a Hattons box, but I've long been ware of this and recently i've had a few small details break off in the box - easily fixed, but not an ideal solution for transporting thing.  If I had access to tools, and the knowledge I'm sure that I could make something for this myself. Sadly I do not, so I had to look at what options were commercially available.

Step in KR Multicase - disclaimer, no affiliation, just happy with the product!

They come in a multitude of case sizes, and different insert types, as they are designed for war-gaming their stock mainly consists of compartments for figures. Thankfully they also do a 'Railway' range of trays, in both OO and N. They have their own unit of measurement which is a 'standardized' sizing.  To test the water I opted for a Double lid aluminium case in black. This holds 2 railway trays (each tray is stated to hold 5 Locos or coaches and up to 20 wagons) and using their own measurement figures this is x1 KRU. Don't worry about getting your head around their sizing system, these are pretty easy to figure out. (The Quick-fill option on their website is by far the easiest way to do things) Choose a case, Choose tray type (railway) and then pick OO or N, the system will tell you how many you need to fill a case. 

Confused yet? 

Don't be, despite my poor description these are simple to figure out and even easier to use:

48862246976_bcbc5d1d75_b.jpg

I managed to get 6 tank engines and 2 tender locos in the first tray - with plenty of room to spare.

48861722003_321d8a3676_b.jpg

The second tray managed to get 5 tender locos and two small tank locos (The B4 and P). You can see my primitive storage system beneath the tray.

48861721973_092c5071f5_b.jpg

I ended up replacing the 5 boxes with one case! fitting 15 locos in total. The trays allow the locos to sit on their wheels, which minimizes the risk of breaking off things like whistles. To cover the top there is a sheet of foam that the next tray sits on top of. The Railway trays have a cardboard outer with handles to allow for easy and stable pickup. the trays alone would be a handy storage system if you just wanted one case for taking things out of the house.  I like this so much that i've gone an ordered the AL3 - which is the triple case. The only thing I would do different next time is to not order the 'double lid' version, and to instead order the briefcase style one, which looks like it stacks much easier, at the time I was worried about the locos not being carried upright, but I can see now that doesn't matter'. I need to do some measuring tonight and see what I could do with some custom trays. 

Anyway that's enough rambling. If you're in the market for transportable storage systems, these are great. Hopefully this rather large update will be of some use to people.

That's all for now, will get some actual modelling done soon!

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I've got a couple of their cases too, very impressed. Good customer service too, when one turned up broken they sent a replacement straight away. Mine have blue foam though, I like the black in yours better!

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

I've got a couple of their cases too, very impressed. Good customer service too, when one turned up broken they sent a replacement straight away. Mine have blue foam though, I like the black in yours better!

They were very helpful when messaged, I was a bit confused initially but they did a really great job of explaining things. I wasn't sure about the brightly coloured foam so I paid a bit extra and opted for the 'dark grey' foam instead, and i'm glad I did!

Another update!  

Recently I went up to Rotorua for a weekend with my partners extended family, lots of kids, dogs and noise. Amid this I managed to find a small slice of my hobby - lurking just around the corner from where we were staying no less!

The area is a small preservation line / hobby shop / club room. Out the front was a large loop of track, and when we arrived I was greeted with a very distinctive smell;

48867865702_032b594073_b.jpg

48867865232_e00207cbee_b.jpg

48867865127_65a1ff741e_b.jpg

Simmering away happily, albeit noisily (blower on) sat 'Sir Roy'. Apparently she has been running for a few years now, and could use some cosmetic upgrades. Mechanically she is absolutely fine though - and boy did she sound fantastic storming around!

After a bit of a chat with the guys running her, and an enquiry about 'wot was over there', it was suggested that I follow them

48867665851_4654568b9b_b.jpg

48867665891_0e65ee85ae_b.jpg

There is a large shed that houses a few interesting NZR pieces

48867665301_fe209e0fd5_b.jpg

The preserved local station sign.

48878028391_f1ebcfb094_b.jpg

More station/railway signs

48867665741_8b380f81c5_b.jpg

A diagram of the yards that were previously on the site.

48867865707_c1ebe5e1f5_b.jpg

Block working equipment.

48867865287_b5166a2b71_b.jpg

Giant headlamp from a KA class loco. 

48867147703_f6431c7336_b.jpg

48867865337_f6e343abbe_b.jpg

Two of the many nameplates that were displayed around the place

48867665256_9b93bc73ab_b.jpg

48867865492_36e5fc695c_b.jpg

Two small petrol powered rail inspection units - and one open truck to be pulled behind.

48877492898_51139fd9c1_b.jpg

This absolute unit of a thing. Apparently converted from a pickup truck, and originally ran on wooden rails. Had wooden brake blocks too.. hmmm. After being allowed to roam around, the workshop I was asked if I wanted to go to the 'back' part, which is closed off to the public. Of course I said yes!

Over in the far corner sat a few bits of rolling stock, they were a bit far to get a good photo though. 

48867147748_1794ae3778_b.jpg

An inspection coach - apparently despite it's appearance it's structurally sound, and just needs some of the adjacent framing replaced and to be re-cladded.

48867665346_4f3c0d2e56_b.jpg

There was a rake of 5 of these flat carriers

48867147443_73c937beeb_b.jpg

Immediately outside the shed were some diesel shunters

48867147658_e9fa7ea201_b.jpg

48867665721_e8ed78c928_b.jpg

This little guy had an odd looking cab.

48867865557_701c64c1ef_b.jpg

48867665831_2cc794e277_b.jpg

This one was the biggest of the lot by far, possibly ex UK? 

Over in the far corner (although in truth is was right by the entrance, so coming full circle..

48867864992_038e979f60_b.jpg

48867147678_58c4597b34_b.jpg

48867865062_a60a849f4f_b.jpg

It was explained to me that in the early days of preservation there were some cowboys out there, and they attempted to repair the valve-gear on this little peckett-esq shunter, but in doing so they 'Royally buggered it up' and so sadly she is sitting there until funds allow for restoration. There also is a dispute in place with local bodies about accessing the railway lines there. I didn't really grasp the whole story, but something to do with 'health and safety' - but this actually being a front for a developer that wants to buy the land. As such, the volunteers aren't allowed to touch any of the locomotives or stock, or even go near the lines. It's pretty sad to see these pieces of New Zealand history languishing because of 'polticks'. Because of this I've decided to join two of the steam groups local to me , Silversteam Steam railway  and Steam Inc. and do my bit, even if that's just a financial contribution.

If anyone is interested (even vaguely) in  finding out more about New Zealand steam, I have linked to two videos on You-tube.

That's all for now!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I first saw Steam Lives On more than 30 years ago, and bought a VHS copy. It is an excellent piece, mainly because it is from the NZ NFU, rather than made by people like you or me wielding a video. It also shows off NZ as the beautiful place people tell me it is. 

• Like 3

On 11/10/2019 at 18:01, Oldddudders said:

I first saw Steam Lives On more than 30 years ago, and bought a VHS copy. It is an excellent piece, mainly because it is from the NZ NFU, rather than made by people like you or me wielding a video. It also shows off NZ as the beautiful place people tell me it is. 

You should (if you can) make your way over here one day. Perfect if you want a Christmas outside in shorts and a t-shirt, stood around the BBQ.

On 11/10/2019 at 18:28, DLT said:

Wow what a find!  I hope you weren't distracted from the geysers for TOO long.  Great shame that local politics is getting in the way though.

Cheers, Dave.

No no, plenty of time to revel in the smell :crazy:

I've been working on something decidedly different from what is usually seen here. As part of my move to DCC, there was some trading for a large amount of decoders.

48981693122_2b543ff4f4_b.jpg

Part of said trade was an Identity change for 'Thomas Hardy' to one of the 'Lane' allocated Brits. The glue around the nameplate has since been tidied up.

48981503796_841ee4212c_b.jpg

I've also added the two middle lamp irons (on the deflector braces) and the larger front lamp irons, they aren't 100% correct, but they are closer to the prototype than not being there at all. Still waiting on the etched shedplate to arrive.

48932898447_bd419e003d_b.jpg

48932170853_33e0c2bd14_b.jpg

Trying out a technique to try and represent the cladding on the outside steam pipes. Tamiya filler putty and Tamiya thin cement mixed together and stippled on produces this nice textured effect. It is almost lost under a coat of paint, but it looks better than the smooth pipes I think.

48932710436_187a52754a_b.jpg

The Tender has been glossed - so has the body, but I don't have any photos. The loco will be turned out in full Golden Arrow regalia, very lightly weathered. From what I understand, the two Brits were kept in immaculate condition while they where shedded at 73A.

I have also been working on a few other 'normal' things. A page or so back I posted some photos of a rather dire looking C class, which after some attention has gone from looking like this:

48838589321_26c682d8ea_b.jpg

To this:

48981052838_e6bf83ef0d_b.jpg

Certainly not finished, but we are on the home stretch. Only placed together here, nothing has yet been screwed down.

48981798022_f31c51638c_b.jpg

The S15 that has been languishing for a while, awaiting a repaint, has now had it. I've decided to put an order in to SEF for one of their 6 wheel tenders to go behind this. It's something different and also appropriate for the central section - Perfect!

48981612521_85ece95ff1_b.jpg

Seen here with another Black 4-6-0.

48981798822_9509c84d72_b.jpg

That's all for now!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

73A! Long after steam's demise, but still 40 years ago, I used to occasionally spend a week or two as Yard Master, Stew Lane. It was kinda in aspic, because not much happened between the peaks, except for lots of carriage cleaning. With both the Chatham mainline and the South Western mainline running very close by, trains clattered by all day - but not for me!

In my yoof I saw both the Brits - but possibly not on the Arrow. 

16 hours ago, Jack P said:

I've been working on something decidedly different from what is usually seen here. As part of my move to DCC, there was some trading for a large amount of decoders.

48981693122_2b543ff4f4_b.jpg

Part of said trade was an Identity change for 'Thomas Hardy' to one of the 'Lane' allocated Brits. The glue around the nameplate has since been tidied up.

Overall these Brits are  very good starting canvas, and well repay the touches you are applying. Now, the chimney rim, why Hornby represent it like that I don't know, but on all the examples I have seen it is a push fit on a plain parallel stovepipe! So very easy to remove, give it a sharp edge and replace...

On 30/10/2019 at 07:49, Oldddudders said:

73A! Long after steam's demise, but still 40 years ago, I used to occasionally spend a week or two as Yard Master, Stew Lane. It was kinda in aspic, because not much happened between the peaks, except for lots of carriage cleaning. With both the Chatham mainline and the South Western mainline running very close by, trains clattered by all day - but not for me!

In my yoof I saw both the Brits - but possibly not on the Arrow. 

Plenty of BR blue for you then! What did/should Yard Master entail in that era (Aside from carriage cleaning)? Do you remember which ones you saw by chance, and where?

13 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Overall these Brits are  very good starting canvas, and well repay the touches you are applying. Now, the chimney rim, why Hornby represent it like that I don't know, but on all the examples I have seen it is a push fit on a plain parallel stovepipe! So very easy to remove, give it a sharp edge and replace...

It's certainly a very nice model. I would have one for myself if it wasn't way outside my era. I know rule 1 etc etc, but being able to do this sort of stuff for friends is great because it means I get my hands on locos I usually wouldn't otherwise. Someone local to me asked if I might have a look at his Garratt! 

I can't figure out what you mean about the chimney, do you mean replacing it entirely? If so where would I go about sourcing the replacement from?

Appreciate the comments and 'likes' guys, feel free to chime in if you have advice (or don't)! :)

JP