Southern Railway Modelling - Miscellaneous Project work

Jack P

On 26/03/2019 at 00:10, Jack P said:

Update!

After browsing some colour photos of Brighton locos, it occurred to me that the lower portion of the vacuum pipes were painted red. A small detail but one that no doubt enhances the front end.

47463820511_92b36fa2c7_b.jpg

I also managed to get out to the Model club on Friday night to run some stock:

46548509175_5b71897e3e_b.jpg

47463820701_10aef91df6_b.jpg

46548509225_2c2ab24890_b.jpg

I've also made some more progress with the i3

46548516605_b108f63b0a_b.jpg

While the kit is relatively easy to build, i'm not happy with the body, there are a myriad of issues, The smokebox door I think is the worst of these, it's tiny, and spoils the look of the 'face', I am going to work on completing the chassis while a friend of mine designs and 3D prints a new door. It's a shame I missed the oo works I3 (if any readers have one and wish to part with it, name your price!).

I'm hoping the other SEF kit I have is a little better!

It also sits a mm or so too high, which spoilers the look. I lowered mine by removing sections of the chassis frames (I think, this was years ago). Frankly, it's a bit of a pig of a kit to build. A shame really, as the I3 is such a lovely loco. 

You might also want to check of the Mainly Trains 14xx smokebox door (now available from Wizard). I've used that on LBSC locos and it's a good match. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

It also sits a mm or so too high, which spoilers the look. I lowered mine by removing sections of the chassis frames (I think, this was years ago). Frankly, it's a bit of a pig of a kit to build. A shame really, as the I3 is such a lovely loco. 

You might also want to check of the Mainly Trains 14xx smokebox door (now available from Wizard). I've used that on LBSC locos and it's a good match. 

It really is a shame/annoyance. The chassis at least is very, very good.

My CAD wizard friend has already designed the door, and sent me the file to have it printed, if for any reason this turns out to be not great, i'll look at the 14xx door!

11 hours ago, BSW01 said:

I’ve not got any photos of a Nu-cast N15X, but I’ve included one of the original Langley L class. 

When Maunsell rebuilt them, he kept as much of the original loco as he could.

I hope it helps

@BSW01 That looks like an excellent build, I would love to see more!

6 hours ago, Wilton 34041 said:

Hi, 

I've found the kit, now with luck there should be a photo of the etch attached,

Regards Phil.

@Wilton 34041 thank you kindly for that - I hope that is of use to you @DLT !!

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Wilton 34041 said:

Hi, 

I've found the kit, now with luck there should be a photo of the etch attached,

Regards Phil.

Thanks very much Phil, that's fantastic!  Just what I need, and I should be able to re-create it from that.

Thanks again,

Dave.

• Like 1

As  a quick update, I've been doing a few things, 

32589786657_b41d4d37ec_b.jpg

Added sprung buffers to my Birdcage set, they don't look to be exactly the same, but I couldn't find a better option sadly.

32589786837_c30788d513_b.jpg

I picked up two Oxford Warwells, I must've done some incomplete investigating - I thought these had sprung buffers, but sadly it's the Hattons ones that do, Does anyone know of a suitable replacement set of buffers? (I need 4 sets!)

46616965975_304a70c23e_b.jpg

I repainted the decks in tan, because on the other one I removed the  little spigots that hold the chains in and filled the holes, I plan to mount a RAF tractor to it, but it's still 'in the works'. This one has had the deck weathered to look a little bit more like wood. It still needs dirty washes, and overall weathering, but I would like some feedback on the wood effect!

32589786727_dc92bd3775_b.jpg

And finally, this arrived the other day from Tim Horn, Assembled on my bed in the wee hours of the morning, it went together a treat. I'm excited to finally start on a diorama.

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Jack

Here are a few more photos of my work on the Langley L class, mainly my upgrade of the bogies

The original cast bogie, completely devoid of any detail, I thinned the width down to add etched sides. 

8022D507-415E-4D31-8606-CF1E93560813.jpeg.b65c849aaf79ca6d8f3023cf3a613f15.jpeg

The lovely etched Comet bogies (available in 2 sizes) are either too long, or too short, so I went for the long ones. 

B6686E31-6E21-4DE1-A6BF-7597EDC1DEA4.jpeg.9fa579232b9fd93ff87eb5046d8fc10a.jpeg

I just used the detailed overlay, which I cut to reduce the length to match the cast bogie.

9BF7F001-E593-4EF4-91B0-9B873FB80A87.jpeg.36b5d75a9b01c24bf15a77537ecdca44.jpeg

The three pieces are then soldered to the side of the cast bogie.

766DB192-D005-444E-981D-84BB9D1A9C49.jpeg.a72f161d1492770d50690ce30c791c9f.jpeg

Finally cleaned up and with wheels added.

1307FA0E-C78F-41F6-8B2B-E1ADE1C280ED.jpeg.141ff99eaf9913eadf563d4600219e4c.jpeg

And just like Ernie Wise’s hair, you can’t see the join!

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

That Bogie looks great! I actually considered doing something similar on the N15x!

Update!

I spent a little bit of time doing odd jobs over the weekend. First up is my second H class, 

32610353677_a39f2cf3d9_b.jpg

This one was always going to be a little bit more involved than just a repaint, because in 1947 there were only two of the class that had the large headed buffers on the front and rear, while many of the class had them on the rear. Luckily Branchlines were able to supply me with Kean Maygib SECR pattern sprung buffers. I had to remove the square baseplate  for them to fit into the Hornby bufferbeam with the least modification, a quick snip and a spin in the drill with a file held against them (DIY lathe), did the trick. I managed to get the Hornby buffers out by wrapping a cloth around them, then gently pulling with some pliers. One just popped out, but the other broke off at the base, a quick spin with a cutting broach loosened up the remaining plastic and I was able to glue the new buffers in place. They were painted with Tamiya XF-7 Flat red.

33676079808_61d5fa7373_b.jpg

You can see the difference it makes to the 'face' of the loco.  This photo also cruelly exposes the smokebox join, It seems to be worse on the rear one, but they both need some adjustment to sit flat. Prior to all of the modification I pulled the body apart, removed all the lining, painted some of the nooks and crannies with the airbrush,  and hit the rest of it with Satin Black out of a spray can.

33676079728_bf7ce61b1f_b.jpg

There were a few things I wanted to do differently from the last one, the first of which was to paint the inside of the cab with cream (I'm not 100% that this is prototypical, but I prefer it), and the second was to model one of the cab doors open. Due to the right hand side seat being down, the only one you can model open (without more modification) is the left hand door, this still wasn't as easy as I thought. Hornby has created the door part to include the piece of the cab that sticks forward that the door hinges off, so I scored the join, and glued them at 90 degree angles. In hindsight, I should've just taken a photo. Hopefully my closeup shows that you're able to see a little more of the cab detail though. I still need to glue the door in place.

The loco is by no means finished, It sill needs to be screwed back together, certain things need to be picked out - and it obviously needs to be numbered and lettered. I have already decided on the number though, 1319.

32610348637_688daca7d1_b.jpg

I've also painted up my Modelu order, Lamps and Oil Drums. One of the longer term projects is to detail all of my existing locos, this includes adding lamps, route discs, crew, fire irons, coal and making sure everything is weathered and runs properly.  These should go some way to helping with that.

47500029842_2d53b44770_b.jpg

I also finished off the weathering on 912 'Downside', Etched plates are on order to finish off all 4 of my schools class locos!

46829128184_25d8896f26_b.jpg

I leave you with this shot of a few LBSC and SECR locos that are sitting on my desk at the moment. I've definitely made a start at moving to more of an Central/Eastern focus.

Cheers!

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Thanks Broc, it took a little bit of trying to get it there, weathering/cleaning/weathering/cleaning - just like the real thing I suppose?

The cream is Humbrol 103 Matt, I think it looks pretty good - nothing seems to match the manufacturers colour for cream though. The other H has a cab where the front and rear sheets are brown!

• Thanks 1

Another quick update -

Had my first crack at a road vehicle today.  I decided that at least one my of Warwells needed a load, and a tank wouldn't really be right for late 1947, but in keeping with the military theme I decided on an Oxford Diecast David Brown RAF tractor.

32629140537_559a71bd3a_b.jpg

I still need to figure out how to secure the chains to it. The tractor has been given a light weathering, it's supposed to represent one that's work-stained but has been given a recent clean. I also started weathering the Warwell too, only a light pin wash on the rivets on top

33694817408_7e889cb9f2_b.jpg

33694817418_2bd1706955_b.jpg

I removed the box from the left hand step, just to make it slightly different from the factory oxford one. I also drilled a hole in the bottom of the cable drum and wound some 10amp fuse wire around it to try and represent the steel cable. I then folded the end up and painted it red as per a reference photo.

33694817428_10b86564c4_b.jpg

40605648383_1eb1dbd6e5_b.jpg

Weathering so far has consisted of matte black paint to pick out some details, black and brown washes and drybrushing - Looking at it, I think maybe some powders would finish the wheels off nicely. I need to figure out how to secure the it down, and where i'm going to fit the chains and then I can crack on with getting the Warwell finished.

That's all for now!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Another update! 

I received my Narrow Planet order of some SECR and LBSC works plates and fitted them to the first H class. They are really fantastic, they have the full printing on them too. 

40616432003_497a6b38e3_b.jpg

I was scrolling through some of the photos on my camera last night and I noticed this one of the H2's tender. I do not want to come across as boastful or conceited - but I feel like I have improved immensely when  this is compared to the N15x's tender. The lines are straight and even, it's by no means perfect, but its better than the last one, which I think is what's most important! My version of 'Beachy' is painfully close to being finished. All it needs now is the thin black lines added to the boiler bands, and a light weathering. 100x more effort than another black repaint, but so, so worth it, I think I've even learned a few things along the way. All told so far, I think the lining alone has taken me maybe 25 hours? 

40616432093_b48c3a9bf3_b.jpg

32639912277_f47195b5cc_b.jpg

I've been trying to branch out from what feels like the usual, as such, I've got a flood of Cambrian kits to get through, and I have more on the way, it's time to start focusing on rolling stock, goods trains, milk tankers and sprung buffers. Without getting too sappy; It may not come across via RM, but I am hyper critical of what I do, and as such, being able to actually acknowledge to myself that I am improving has been a big stumbling block up to this point, the Patrons of this thread, (and the lurkers) have absolutely helped me get to this point - so thanks guys!

To finish, here's a little preview of what's next:

40616432053_979e009e47_b.jpg

Edited by Jack P
Formatting went horribly wrong
  • Like 17

Mate I'll start sending you my locos to line out! I don't know what it is by these new HMRS decals are driving me nuts, they simply are no where near as good as they used to be.

Ps i hope the roof of the Brighton Belle is going to get a tone-down. Tim Shackleton did an article for Hornby Magazine and his book on weathering them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brocp said:

Mate I'll start sending you my locos to line out! I don't know what it is by these new HMRS decals are driving me nuts, they simply are no where near as good as they used to be.

Ps i hope the roof of the Brighton Belle is going to get a tone-down. Tim Shackleton did an article for Hornby Magazine and his book on weathering them.

Oh god! This has taken long enough, I'm already cringing at the thought of doing more.

I found them ok, all the southern numerals and lettering I use are methfix anyways, so I started using my meths mixture to fix the pressfix lining down and that went alright.  I did find them a bit hard to wrangle, but maybe that was just the fact that I used straight lining and had to poke it into all the reverse curves?

• Like 2

Thanks A! 

It's certainly very nice to hear that I've inspired you, i'm excited to see what you do next!

Yes, electric Pullmans, it's taken a while to put a rake together, but it's very exciting indeed. I managed to get out to the model club on Friday night, here's a video of it running!

• Like 4

If anyone here isn't following @DLT's thread, where he is very kindly finishing off the N15x for me, you need to go check it out. He's working his magic and the loco has finally moved under its own power.

• Like 5

Continuing the theme of the warwells, there are some more wagons on my bench. Although after reading Adam's EM workbench, (thread linked below) I've certainly got some idea of what I could be doing differently.

33750348778_7f062267c4_b.jpg

There are still a few things that need to be added before I can add the load, which will be a few bits of loose rail and some sleepers. I probably should've waited until I had all of the required shackles, loops and chains, it will require some modification after the fact. buffer shanks need some plasticard sides made up, I'm tempted to cut all of the posts out and make some out of brass rod, and the deck needs attention. No matter, I've managed to get it built, painted and one side lettered and numbered.

33750348798_104d2162d0_b.jpg

As you can see from this next photo, I have a few wagons on the go! All of which will need modifications of some kind after the required bits arrive!

46903407364_771f92f3bf_b.jpg

Finally, here's this fancy looking coach with, convertible sides..?

• Like 7

Thanks, Jack - I'd seen the likes appearing and I've enjoyed your work, too. 

One quick note on your wagons - buffer shanks were only silver on OLEO buffers which weren't used before Nationalisation (or at least if they were, I'm not aware of it) so your Borail needs a spot of attention from the paintbrush. Here's my version (one of the batch employed by the traffic department in BR livery):

SR_Borail_009.jpg.3d54810bf6172fcff0f0f29e3cecf7e8.jpg

Adam

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Adam said:

Thanks, Jack - I'd seen the likes appearing and I've enjoyed your work, too. 

One quick note on your wagons - buffer shanks were only silver on OLEO buffers which weren't used before Nationalisation (or at least if they were, I'm not aware of it) so your Borail needs a spot of attention from the paintbrush. Here's my version (one of the batch employed by the traffic department in BR livery):

SR_Borail_009.jpg.3d54810bf6172fcff0f0f29e3cecf7e8.jpg

Adam

Thanks Adam, I'm constantly amazed by the fine detail! Pray tell, where do you get you chain, and what size do you use, or would you suggest?

The buffers are a bit of a compromise, they are Bachmann SR/LNER round loco buffers, I am trying to locate a more suitable sprung buffer, but I used these in the meantime to test the wagon in my club layout. If I can't find anything more suitable, I'll likely just build the base up a little bit and try to make it look like something passable.  It also looks like you've replaced the hand-wheel for the brakes, and the drop shackle son the sides, what did you use? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jack P said:

Thanks Adam, I'm constantly amazed by the fine detail! Pray tell, where do you get you chain, and what size do you use, or would you suggest?

The buffers are a bit of a compromise, they are Bachmann SR/LNER round loco buffers, I am trying to locate a more suitable sprung buffer, but I used these in the meantime to test the wagon in my club layout. If I can't find anything more suitable, I'll likely just build the base up a little bit and try to make it look like something passable.  It also looks like you've replaced the hand-wheel for the brakes, and the drop shackle son the sides, what did you use? 

Howdo Jack,

The chain is from AMBIS (though you can get similar from Hobby Holidays, among others): http://www.ambisengineering.co.uk/

It's not the very finest - too fine for this application - so it's about 30 links per inch and the shackles used to tension the chain came from the same source. The handwheels are from Roxey Mouldings and the shackle links on the sides from 51L - you need about four packets for one Borail. It's all on my workbench thread, somewhere, but since the upgrade broke my index and the search function isn't up to the mark, you'll have to ferret around for more detail.

One other thing: I've reinforced this wagon, and others this long from Cambrian with bicycle spokes down the sides secured with epoxy which adds useful weight and stiffness.

Adam

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

What and excellent thread this is! Some really wonderful model loco's to a very high standard. I am particularly interested in the N15X, is it now finished? I have started an ACE products N15X and have put it to one side to indulge my H15 and SR 0-6-0 tender locomotive obsessions.  I model the BR period up to mid 1960's.

The N15X (and if I recall, the Maunsell Moguls) all had the return crank set in a leading position compared to TDC? Most loco's were set in a trailing position. Can anyone enlighten on this variation?

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

Richard B

IMG_4790_(1).JPG.35f61bbed5dd6d0dda5daf6e64949437.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Richard, @30368

That U class looks fantastic (I wouldn't mind a few of those)! Thank you for your kind words about my modelling. The N15x has been passed on to DLT to be finished off. He is currently in the throes of building the motion and valve gear. My understanding, from all the research I did when I was building the N15x is that you're correct, the return crank was set forward from TDC, this was another reason the challenge of finishing the valve gear was passed on to a venerable SR expert.

I've just had a look at your H15('s) and they are certainly impressive beasties!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jack, much appreciated. Please keep me posted on the N15X, I started a layout based on Basingstoke Depot, 70D. Had to pack it away but will re-start soon. So I need to complete my N15X in the near future given where the seven were based!

The U class doesn't look too bad I just wish I could take better photographs. 

Kind regards,

Richard B

21 hours ago, 30368 said:

What and excellent thread this is! Some really wonderful model loco's to a very high standard. I am particularly interested in the N15X, is it now finished? I have started an ACE products N15X and have put it to one side to indulge my H15 and SR 0-6-0 tender locomotive obsessions.  I modeli the BR period up to mid 1960's.

The N15X (and if I recall, the Maunsell Moguls) all had the return crank set in a leading position compared to TDC? Most loco's were set in a trailing position. Can anyone enlighten on this variation?

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

Richard B

IMG_4790_(1).JPG.35f61bbed5dd6d0dda5daf6e64949437.JPG

The Maunsell moguls should have the return crank trailing, as should the N15x. Most locos fitted with walchearts valve gear had the return crank leading.

Edited by Denbridge
Added