Southern Railway Modelling - Miscellaneous Project work

Jack P

I've found that usually around this time of year (coming into spring/summer) my modelling takes a bit of a backseat. More so recently, we're house hunting, and bought a new car, plus i've decided it's time for another speight of upgrades for my computer.

I haven't done nothing though, i've been working on repainting a gate stock set and weathering and detailing an O2 for a friend.

Finally building up enough courage, I decided to tackle my N15x. Being a mixed traffic loco I settled on a suitably grubby look. 

50502743412_696a52158b_h.jpg

It's not perfect, and I had to have a few tries at getting things right, but it looks much more appropriate for my time scale. The aim is to tackle the H2 next. 

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Jack P said:

I've found that usually around this time of year (coming into spring/summer) my modelling takes a bit of a backseat. More so recently, we're house hunting, and bought a new car, plus i've decided it's time for another speight of upgrades for my computer.

I haven't done nothing though, i've been working on repainting a gate stock set and weathering and detailing an O2 for a friend.

Finally building up enough courage, I decided to tackle my N15x. Being a mixed traffic loco I settled on a suitably grubby look. 

It's not perfect, and I had to have a few tries at getting things right, but it looks much more appropriate for my time scale. The aim is to tackle the H2 next. 

The boiler top and the green area of the smoke deflectors are very well done indeed - very convincing. Powders, I suppose? 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jack P said:

50502743412_696a52158b_h.jpg

I quite forget you are so far away, thought it was a post from 6 months ago when you mentioned spring, we are just entering the cold damp dark nights of Autumn with winter russhing to greet us.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

It seems like much longer than a month since I last posted here. I felt like my modelling had hit a wall, and I was really struggling to get up and over it. Honestly, I still feel that way and I have no idea why. Loss of modelling mojo is a real ****

I decided to tackle a something that I'd been wanting to do for a while, some 1/48th scale Luftwaffe planes. Here's the first of 5-6, a Bf 109-E3, with some battle damage on the left wing. 

50606699963_e0dfa7159f_h.jpg

I have a Ju-87 Stuka, Bf 110, He 111 and a Do-17, waiting to be built. I don't have plans for anything more than that, I just wanted some planes to display. 

In railway related matters, I managed to get my N15x to a stage that i'm happy with. I really struggled with this one, I think the fear of messing up got to me. I think this loco alone was the catalyst for me deciding to down tools for a while.

50606752523_6eff457e64_h.jpg

A slightly more long term project is inching its way along, My sleeve valve prototype H1 has gained all of the main bits, and is now waiting on me to obtain various bits of tube and rod, and make a start.

50607582382_6ff71b5444_h.jpg

In other news, my partner and I picked up a new wagon! 

50606754283_a445d993a2_h.jpg

Not sure if there are any other automotive fans in this thread - but it's another, slightly more hidden hobby of mine. 

Hopefully more updates around the corner.

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Jack P said:

It seems like much longer than a month since I last posted here. I felt like my modelling had hit a wall, and I was really struggling to get up and over it. Honestly, I still feel that way and I have no idea why. Loss of modelling mojo is a real ****

In railway related matters, I managed to get my N15x to a stage that i'm happy with. I really struggled with this one, I think the fear of messing up got to mem it was sort of the catalyst for me deciding to down tools for a while.

Jack

I completely understand this 'loss of mojo' and I agree that sometimes it is just triggered by something that is in the 'apparently too difficult' box, or in my case particularly by having to revisit something / do it again - which I hate.

I doubt there is anything you can do about this until suddenly the mood takes you again, and your mojo is back - so my advice is just focus on something else, and it will surely return.

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 4

14 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Jack

I completely understand this 'loss of mojo' and I agree that sometimes it is just triggered by something that is in the 'apparently too difficult' box, or in my case particularly by having to revisit something / do it again - which I hate.

I doubt there is anything you can do about this until suddenly the mood takes you again, and your mojo is back - so my advice is just focus on something else, and it will surely return.

Tony

I think I had a realization that all i've done this year is work and modelling, for a large portion of time I did both from the same desk. Suddenly one day after work, the desire to open the new box of bits and take it to the workbench just completely vanished. 

I'm sure it will return, I have enjoyed my furlough into air modelling, it's given me a change to try out a few techniques that might not be directly applicable in railway modelling (pre-shading, battle damage, etc). 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• 2 weeks later...

Progress, of sorts:

The H1 is slowly ticking along. I have made enquiries with a few different places and should have some further information headed my way in the next little while.

50658810158_146f24ac51_h.jpg

My plan of attack is to use photos to assess the approximate size of components, then mock them up out of plasticard, and then when it's close enough, send the whole lot off to a friend, to have him measure, tweak and draw the bits up in CAD. Then simply 3D print the large assemblies. The intention is to print a whole new cylinder assembly, and the steam chest pipes that go into the smokebox. This will ensure that both sides are the same, however this then leaves all the little details, many of which will need to be scratch built. 

I have started a thread asking for specifics, and photos that might be lurking about CLICK HERE

I'm also trying my best to clear a few long standing projects, the renaming/numbering + weathering of the second Brighton Belle set is on the cards. Most pressing is to finish this:

49764828167_328c03e58d_h.jpg

It's not perfect, but it would be nice to get it finished and have somewhere to take some decent photos. 

Slowly slowly

• Like 12

Hi Jack

Love the Hartland Point project, great idea to reproduce something that is part of Southern folklore; good luck with that.
Sympathise with the "loss of mojo", I've been stalled for some months now, hope you sort it out soon.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 01/12/2020 at 23:11, gz3xzf said:

Hi Jack

Love the Hartland Point project, great idea to reproduce something that is part of Southern folklore; good luck with that.
Sympathise with the "loss of mojo", I've been stalled for some months now, hope you sort it out soon.

Thanks Brian, I appreciate the support for the H1 project, I foolishly thought once I'd obtained the RTR bits, the rest would be easy... Not so!

Yeah, it's a real pain, it's slowly coming back though, which is nice!

20 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Jack

Do you have the Pen & Sword book on the Brighton Atlantics? It might be helpful (depending in what you are missing!).

https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-LBSCR-Brighton-Atlantics-Hardback/p/12228

Tony

Hi Tony, Yes I do, a really fantastic book it is too. I hadn't realised that there are 3 other books in that same range that I was missing!

Honestly what i'm really missing is a front shot looking down towards the footplate, although i'm unsure if one even exists.

• Jack P changed the title to Southern Railway Modelling - 'Teaking' LNER Full brakes

Having been tasked with 'teaking' @Jesse Sim's Ex GN Milk brake, I thought I should get some more practice in (see the milk brake HERE)

50687636198_146287b6ea_h.jpg

Experimenting with different consistencies of the oil mix, and the top one has had 2 coats applied. 

I also decided to was time to start cobbling together these Pigeon vans, which were the whole reason I wanted to learn this livery application in the first place.

50688384271_e7387f7824_h.jpg

Knocked this one up in a few hours last night. Replaced the overly thick footboards and steps with some plastikard replacements. Also added brake linkages and a 'belt' to the dynamo. Unsure if these vans need the brake hangar guides?

I also need to order some LNER transfers, as, surprisingly I don't have any!

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 1 month later...
  • Jack P changed the title to Southern Railway Modelling - New Year, same nonsense.
  • 3 weeks later...

Jeez, February already?!

I've been enjoying the 3 weeks of summer we NZ'ers get, but have also found some time for modelling. 

Most recently this has taken the form of tinkering/tweaking locomotives and rolling stock. I've started adjusting back to backs, I've got an Alan Gibson 00-FS gauge and i'm getting everything to that standard as best I can. Still no layout, but the intention is that the track will all be to the same FS standard/gauge - whenever it happens. 

I had my TCS order arrive yesterday, which meant that I could finally get around to dcc fitting my two H's. They have had a rather large period of inactivity, and needed some running in. I noticed while running them up and down my length of test track, they seem to have really excessive side-to-side sway, generally rockin' and rollin' all over the show. I had already started to strip the chassis down and give everything a good clean/re-grease, and while I was at it I decided to see if fitting washers to the wheels would help.

Excuse the rather average photos. I was using some paper towel to make sure I didn't smear any grease around.

50898992701_73626037ab_h.jpg

It was pretty straight forward, using some finger pressure I just had to pop the wheels off the axle ends. Re-quartering is also relatively easy as the ends of the Hornby axles are splined.

50898992731_8eff754b79_h.jpg

I also added washers to the rear bogie. I only had the larger ones that are for driving axles, so until I obtain some smaller ones (2mm?) these will have to do. It makes a world of difference. The axles already flop around a lot, coupled with the bogie having it's own range of motion meant that it exacerbated the rear end 'waggling'. 

50898992581_3f716607be_h.jpg

Here's 1319 and 1551, both with Decoders fitted, and axle washers in place. I really can't overstate how much of a difference it makes to the running qualities of these engines. I'd like to add one more H to the stable eventually, ideally one of the straight bunkered versions for some variety.

I've done a few other bits and pieces, but it seems that I have forgotten to take photos! 

More anon.

• Like 17

Lovely teaking @Jack P. Very nice. An M5 halftrack would fit for an LMS Parrot wagon in 1947. Most tanks of that era would be too tall / heavy.

The Airfix M3 kit is well regarded still as being a good representation of a similar M14 halftrack and can be readily converted to an M5 using a Matador models kit, or by scratching. Look for the older Airfix kits as they come with the canvas cover for the crew compatment which they have omitted from newer releases

Edited by KDG
Extra info!
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Jeez - definitely doesn't feel like it's been a month since I last posted. I haven't been idle though. 

A quick side project i've been working on is improving the Youtube videos that I upload and providing some commentary over the video. 

My first video is below - I'd love some feedback!

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

12 hours ago, Jack P said:

A quick side project i've been working on is improving the Youtube videos that I upload and providing some commentary over the video. 

Great work, Jack!

One thought occurred to me. Rather than having the model continuously rotating, it might be more informative to focus on a still image of each modification as you discuss it. It took me a moment to figure out what “stips” are! :wink_mini:

(In my defence, I should state that I’ve just gone through the annual performance appraisal time-waster, and my employer’s HR uses 'STIP' as an acronym for something that I don’t care about, so it’s a little stuck in my brain)

Edited by truffy
clarification
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/03/2021 at 21:09, truffy said:

Great work, Jack!

One thought occurred to me. Rather than having the model continuously rotating, it might be more informative to focus on a still image of each modification as you discuss it. It took me a moment to figure out what “stips” are! :wink_mini:

(In my defence, I should state that I’ve just gone through the annual performance appraisal time-waster, and my employer’s HR uses 'STIP' as an acronym for something that I don’t care about, so it’s a little stuck in my brain)

It took me far too long to figure out what 'Stips' were too, for a different reason though :lol: Your suggestion of still images interspersed with the video footage is a good one, and is something that has been suggested a few times already. Watch this space for the next one!

Recently my family lost my Nana at the grand old age of 91. I credit her almost entirely with my passion and interest in model railways of which she was always supportive. From a young age she allowed me to play with my late grandfathers Marklin locomotives. As I got older, I was allowed to play with Scalextric, various hand tools, firearms, liquor advertising paraphernalia and other exciting things. I believe this kick-started a lifetime of tinkering.

Joycelene, you will always be missed. Thank you for everything. 

I plan to create something railway related to remember her by, but that's for another time. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
On 02/03/2021 at 21:12, Jack P said:

Jeez - definitely doesn't feel like it's been a month since I last posted. I haven't been idle though. 

Looks superb. I do many of the mods that you have done to mine but one that I have yet to do is to close the gap between the tender and the loco. It wouldnt be so bad if I just had one or two but with close to 50 (both unrebuilt and rebuilt) its quite a task to do. How have you close coupled yours?

• Like 1

Apologies for posting 3 concurrent times, but I thought each response deserved it's own post. All has not been on hold, I have been working on a few things recently. I'll let the pictures do most of the talking.

T9

51038731397_fa2dc3902a_h.jpg

51037901398_b4107209b9_h.jpg

51037901573_7b9837f24e_h.jpg

Repainted and renumbered, tender swapped with another T9, to represent a wide splasher 8w tender variant.

M7

51038718017_bc79db3bc4_h.jpg

51037888838_3b181e0590_h.jpg

The cab was pulled out and repainted/weathered, you can see it broke slightly in the lower left corner, but this was hidden when it was re-assembled. A relatively straight forward repaint and renumber. Many pages back (page 5?) I did another loco the same as this one, that was sold when I purged much of my LSWR stock.

S15

51038634531_ece69dc2d6_h.jpg

51038732677_0a7a8f528a_h.jpg

51037902658_7674a37a0c_h.jpg

51037902303_2160f71063_h.jpg

Repainted/Weathered etc, backdated from the BR condition one. While I had this apart I cleaned all of the oil and grease out of it and re-gauged all of the wheels to OO-FS standards. Much like my other S15 this ones motor is showing signs of giving up. I'd like to replace it with a large mashima or something similar, when I can figure out how to remove and re-attach the flywheel, which drives the loco mechanism.

P.O Wagons

51037901958_77c0282358_h.jpg

Two of 6 oxford rail P.O wagons i'm working on, trying to weather them relatively heavily to represent 1947 condition. Both have been renumbered.

Lord Nelson

51038619996_c631b4393d_h.jpg

51037888523_1f2efec82a_h.jpg

51038620036_ae8dea652e_h.jpg

51037888578_06958d9bad_h.jpg

Finally got around  to weathering this loco, and fitting headcode discs.

N15x

51038731122_5ebaafdc36_h.jpg

Nothing crazy - replaced the whitemetal smokebox door with a spare door from my donor H1, looks much better.

A1x

51038731812_e8ee00e8bc_h.jpg

51038731922_7478d21d06_h.jpg

In the throes of being backdated to 1947 condition. Wheel rims painted and the sides of the pickup keeper plate painted also. I haven't been able to find any transfers, or anyone that's willing to custom make them for me. TMC have advised they will be able to do it, so I'll get it out to them quick smart. 

Warwell + Sherman

51038718377_50c95fc173_h.jpg

51038620396_7bb1bca688_h.jpg

51038620406_08c4adf1ef_h.jpg

51038718367_9c31381267_h.jpg

This is a Sherman from the 4th NZ Armoured, that saw service in Italy. No idea if this one ever made it home, but it's supposed to represent a post war tank, being moved in 1947 - possibly on it's return from europe. I have weathered the tank, and added the crate on the rear. Chained down to the Warwell, which has also been weathered. I've included some gratuitous photos of the rust effect.

H1

51038730537_ae65f3e6ec_h.jpg

Finally, just a bog standard H1, one of the new malachite releases from Bachmann. Gloss varnished with some of the black parts painted a dirty matte colour. Re-gauged to 00-FS and the cab front painted black. Further work still to do. 

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

30 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Looks superb. I do many of the mods that you have done to mine but one that I have yet to do is to close the gap between the tender and the loco. It wouldnt be so bad if I just had one or two but with close to 50 (both unrebuilt and rebuilt) its quite a task to do. How have you close coupled yours?

Ah, that's something I hadn't mentioned. 

I cut off all of the tender drawbar connection stuff and then bent a V into the middle to shorten it, It could do with some tweaking, as it is very close, and could be further apart. The tender pickups are connected via a plug to the loco.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jack P said:

P.O Wagons

51037901958_77c0282358_h.jpg

Two of 6 oxford rail P.O wagons i'm working on, trying to weather them relatively heavily to represent 1947 condition. Both have been renumbered.

Warwell + Sherman

51038718377_50c95fc173_h.jpg

51038620396_7bb1bca688_h.jpg

51038620406_08c4adf1ef_h.jpg

51038718367_9c31381267_h.jpg

Some absolutely exquisite modelling there, @Jack P.  It seems 'harsh' to single-out just two subjects, but the weathering of the PO wagons and Warwell (especially) deserve special mention... :clapping:

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1