Southern Railway Modelling - Miscellaneous Project work

Jack P

• RMweb Premium

You have done a lot of work already and it appears a considerable amount will be undone only to be made good afterwards.

This is already to a very high standard for a first kit. You could treat it as learning tool. Complete it as is and move onto the next one, improving on the second kit those areas where you think could be better on the first.

By the time you are three or four kits down the line then perhaps then revisit this loco.

Hi Jack,

I agree with Rob, finish it as it stands and move on to the next one.  You MAY decide to revisit it in the future, but that depends on your priorities at the time.  Building the next one may be more important.

You always see the imperfections in your own modelling, coz you know its there.  The question I ask myself is: "Will I notice this issue when its running on a layout?"  And unless its a really glaring error, the answer is often No.

Personally I think it looks superb, I would be immensely proud if that had been MY first kit!

HNY,

Dave.

Hi Jack,

I agree with Rob, finish it as it stands and move on to the next one.  You MAY decide to revisit it in the future, but that depends on your priorities at the time.  Building the next one may be more important.

You always see the imperfections in your own modelling, coz you know its there.  The question I ask myself is: "Will I notice this issue when its running on a layout?"  And unless its a really glaring error, the answer is often No.

Personally I think it looks superb, I would be immensely proud if that had been MY first kit!

HNY,

Dave.

Well thanks Dave!

I wonder if that opinion will change when you see it up close..? I really need to box it up and send it off!

I think you make a good point about moving on to the next one. It does make me think that I should've started with something smaller. Of course, never one to choose the easy route I started with this, and will finish it. Perhaps to be revisited later. I do have a good few kits to crack on with now, a W, K, E and an 0395. The W is a PDK kit, and is a little intimidating in entirely etched brass with a small bag of whitemetal bits, as opposed to the other way around. 

Well thanks Dave!

I wonder if that opinion will change when you see it up close..? I really need to box it up and send it off!

I think you make a good point about moving on to the next one. It does make me think that I should've started with something smaller. Of course, never one to choose the easy route I started with this, and will finish it. Perhaps to be revisited later. I do have a good few kits to crack on with now, a W, K, E and an 0395. The W is a PDK kit, and is a little intimidating in entirely etched brass with a small bag of whitemetal bits, as opposed to the other way around.

Hi Jack.

I have built the PDK W class and I have got the build on RMweb.I built the Q1 and down further is the W Class. Click on the link

://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67066-pdk-bullied-q1-0-6-0-kit-pdk-maunsell-2-6-4t-w-class-kit/page-5

Edited by RAY NORWOOD
  • Like 1

Thanks Ray, I'm not sure how I'd forgotten about that, I've definitely read the thread - In fact reading it again last year was the reason I purchased the kit!

44766042710_7950679e9d_b.jpg

I've made a bit of a cock-up with the lining at the back of the tender, the black should run to the edge of the handrail (which you can barely see), I now think it's too far forward, or maybe the tender back has been lined to narrow..  :no:

Anyway, I could get a proper photo of engine and tender, because I've only done one side of the tender, and have only fully finished one side of the loco, but hopefully that gives some idea of where it's at now, slowly slowly. To finish off, here's a photo with the name plate just blu-tacked in position. 

44766204130_8fe88cd151_b.jpg

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would update this topic, to let you all know that i'm still alive and kicking, and what my plans are for 2019.

I've been a little bit quiet recently, other commitments taking up much of my time. However I have been thinking about the modelling aspect of my life for a while and I have decided that some changes need to be made. So I am slowly going through my collection of locos/stock and deciding what I want to keep and what I want to move on.

I'd like to focus my efforts more around the SECR/LBSC and would like to hone my kitbuilding skills even more. Nothing is set in stone yet, but this gives me some direction. I would also like to work on building coaching stock, and some more obscure freight stock (EG: engineering department stock). I have decided that I need to put my plans of a layout on ice properly for now, because I chop and change so heavily it would be silly. However I am planning on building a small diorama, which I can use for photographing what i'm doing. I am also working with a friend on some 3D printed projects, which should grace these pages shortly. We are putting our heads together and are looking at the possibilities of things like 3D printed chassis, as well as 3D printed bodies on the likes on Alan Gibson/SEF/RTR chassis. We've decided to start small and tackle the K class, J1 and the SECR J.

I'm also pretty excited about the Hornby announcements of the Bulleid 'Shortie' Stock, and the Terrier. Plus as time goes by, the Bachmann Crane is looking more and more appealing. This is looking to be my most expensive year yet! Happy modelling everyone.

• Like 7

Hi Jack,

I like your ideas and the sound of Eastern and Central sections to concentrate on. A word of caution on the Bulleid shorties they where mainly LSWR based but of cause rule 1 can apply. Its when they get into the discounters and secondhand they could force the basis of a 4SUB. Now to your 3D printing can I have a K class please and if you are doing it what about a C2X double dome    hint hint.....

Keith

• Like 1

Hi Jack,

I like your ideas and the sound of Eastern and Central sections to concentrate on. A word of caution on the Bulleid shorties they where mainly LSWR based but of cause rule 1 can apply. Its when they get into the discounters and secondhand they could force the basis of a 4SUB. Now to your 3D printing can I have a K class please and if you are doing it what about a C2X double dome    hint hint.....

Keith

Hey Keith, 

The 'Shortie' stock looks good - I'm still not sure if i'm going to purchase a set, but i'm excited to see them finished, and simply excited that there are more Southern Items hitting the scene!

I already have a 3D print of the K in hand, will update shortly with my thoughts and some pictures. The C2X is also on the list, as is the B4X. i'm extremely lucky as my mate is very interested in all things Brighton. With that said, I would ask that if anyone has any technical drawings of the K class for us to cross reference against it would be most appreciated if you would share (or even point me in the right direction to find some!).

• 3 weeks later...

Update! The H2 is currently sitting in a bath of simple green to be stripped.

32199951487_d3b23433e0_c.jpg

I should've left it after I Matte Varnished it, but sadly when I used the gloss, two things happened, the finish ended up very orange peely and the lining on the tender (that I hadn't removed properly, and couldn't see under the matt varnish) appeared, and as you can see in the above photo. It looks like rubbish. So it now currently looks like this:

46418217234_6bf18ff6d7_c.jpg

I should've just left it to be honest. But hopefully the finished product should be much better than the last one. Maybe 'll go absolutely mental and paint it green instead?

As a quick aside - I'm looking at moving on my LSWR stock, so if anyone is interested in the following drop me a line!

47089559962_4cbe9d6693_c.jpg

46227661295_ac6c13bc79_c.jpg

46227661355_9a65c8dcd5_c.jpg

46227661345_810c9743f8_c.jpg

32199951457_dcfdf99b7b_c.jpg

47089559932_4e4ffc3321_c.jpg

47141947101_4c7ef62cfa_c.jpg

47089559942_22710c4553_c.jpg

And as an aside on the LBSC/SECr path, I have 2 or 3 things to update with shortly!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Sad to see such beautifully finished LSWR stock let go, but understand the need to 'focus' - something that I am incapable of!

On the LBSCR front, my contact Javier who has already produced 3D prints for the E5-X and E6-X expects to have the E4-X ready within another week or so, and whereas the 1st two needed the related SEF chassis, this one is designed to fit the Bachmann E4 chassis - so should be fairly quick to get finished.

Work is also going on elsewhere on the LCSCR Marsh C3.

Tony

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

Surely you keep a few LSWR types. M7 used on ex LBSCR lines and not to forget Reading Redhill SECR right through LSWR territory.

Keith

Still keeping a few! 

42726787472_dc0b2571a6_c.jpg

27735223627_2992872a0b_c.jpg

x2 N15's, one of them being the oil burning conversion (still wanting to add a central section N15 at some point too), the B4, and there's one M7 that's been so heavily modified I really can't bring myself to part with it. I guess the aim is just to get rid of the slightly more obscure locos that have no place on my proposed lines. It also means that I can use the proceeds to purchase kits, and RTR locos to modify etc! I'm still considering pre-ordering a K10.

Ignoring the fact that all of the N15x's were allocated to Basingstoke of course!

15 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Sad to see such beautifully finished LSWR stock let go, but understand the need to 'focus' - something that I am incapable of!

On the LBSCR front, my contact Javier who has already produced 3D prints for the E5-X and E6-X expects to have the E4-X ready within another week or so, and whereas the 1st two needed the related SEF chassis, this one is designed to fit the Bachmann E4 chassis - so should be fairly quick to get finished.

Work is also going on elsewhere on the LCSCR Marsh C3.

Tony

Oh, I don't think for a moment this will help me to focus in any capacity, maybe just reduce the scope of what I can be un-focussed on!  I appreciate your comments Re my weathering, I do think the finishes I've managed to achieve on the M7's are some of the best i've managed, but it's all practice (which as you know is extremely important). I am very tempted by the E5/6X's and the E4x will be even more tempting. Excited to see progress! 

Also very interested to know more about the C3, you must be getting that list down more rapidly by the day!

Jack

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Update,

I have not been idle, I managed to get rid of one of my T9's, and I was asked if I could weather it before I sent it:

32442739297_f39f03cfd5_b.jpg

32442739397_d20388fdba_b.jpg

32442739467_1ee049a577_b.jpg

47331531022_f145744e82_b.jpg

I referenced a picture of a T9 in BR ownership still wearing the sunshine livery, It looked like the vertical surfaces had been cleaned semi recently.

I've also been working on this:

47331554222_906b013276_b.jpg

A little nicer than plain Black I reckon!

That's all for now!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 15

Update,

I've been working on an Ashford style E4,. It's close to being done, I'm just waiting to hear back from SEF about the correct pattern safety valves.

47427131391_52c7cf8586_b.jpg

Converted from the Early crest BR version, I had to cut the smokebox numberplate out and rebuild the top strap. this cruel closeup probably shows that off, but it's less noticeable in person! 2485 joins the ranks of Brighton locos. The recently acquired olive green E4 won't be that colour for long though.

47427131411_9bf619f248_b.jpg

I've also spent the last few hours tonight starting my next kitbuild, the South Eastern Finecast Ex-LBSC i3.

46512027645_7860bf7e74_b.jpg

I started with the front bogie, and was planning on just completing that, however, the SEF chassis is so nice to build, I soon ended up with this:

47427131461_e192dbec0f_b.jpg

It even rolls nicely!

That's all for now!

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Update!

After browsing some colour photos of Brighton locos, it occurred to me that the lower portion of the vacuum pipes were painted red. A small detail but one that no doubt enhances the front end.

47463820511_92b36fa2c7_b.jpg

I also managed to get out to the Model club on Friday night to run some stock:

46548509175_5b71897e3e_b.jpg

47463820701_10aef91df6_b.jpg

46548509225_2c2ab24890_b.jpg

I've also made some more progress with the i3

46548516605_b108f63b0a_b.jpg

While the kit is relatively easy to build, i'm not happy with the body, there are a myriad of issues, The smokebox door I think is the worst of these, it's tiny, and spoils the look of the 'face', I am going to work on completing the chassis while a friend of mine designs and 3D prints a new door. It's a shame I missed the oo works I3 (if any readers have one and wish to part with it, name your price!).

I'm hoping the other SEF kit I have is a little better!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Jack P said:

While the kit is relatively easy to build, i'm not happy with the body, there are a myriad of issues, The smokebox door I think is the worst of these, it's tiny, and spoils the look of the 'face',

This will be a result of the kit originally being a Wills Kit. I have a Wills one already built, with the original white metal chassis. The etched chassis was developed by Dave at SEF as part of his upgrade to the range, the body is still the same though as far as I can tell, I'm glad to see this goes together well as I have a newer kit with the etched chassis to build still!

Gary

1 hour ago, BlueLightning said:

This will be a result of the kit originally being a Wills Kit. I have a Wills one already built, with the original white metal chassis. The etched chassis was developed by Dave at SEF as part of his upgrade to the range, the body is still the same though as far as I can tell, I'm glad to see this goes together well as I have a newer kit with the etched chassis to build still!

Gary

Gary,

The chassis is fantastic, well detailed and easy to build, I can't imagine. you'll have any problems there I think the Nickle Silver looks nicer than brass too. The body only has a few pain points, its not difficult to build, but I would also question the accuracy of the measurements of the body - where it would become more difficult to build if you were to try and fix these issues. I would love to see some retooled parts!

Edited by Jack P

Just read through the thread from the beginning. Some fantastic modelling and useful information within. Great stuff.

Whilst my current BR(S) layout plans are set in '59-'62 (primarily as I have a pair of SLW Class 24s in the correct condition for this period), it is being developed with the possibility to cover not only different eras (technically 1919-1999 roughly, some with more license than others), but location too (Western, Eastern and Central areas of the southern, and with some license Merseyside and Tyneside), allowing a large range of stock options after the '59'62 period is dealt with.

I would very much like to cover the final days of the Southern and first days of the Southern Region at some point.

For now it is 33s, 24s and lots of EMUs of different types (most cut-n-shut using replica parts initially), and a small amount of steam (Q1, Hs, and others ). I have some Wills/SEF kits to attempt at some point, so your progress with the Nu-Cast model and others is interesting (Dave of SEF jointly with Branchlines is re-introducing the Nu-Cast range).

Look forward to future updates.

• RMweb Premium
On 05/12/2018 at 01:23, Jack P said:

46180902401_24d1abaa33_b.jpg

A bit of a long-shot folks.

Jack has passed his superb N15X to me to assemble the valvegear etc, but there is a problem!  The large motion plate that everything is mounted on has been cut up for some reason (not by Jack I hasten to add!) but by a previous owner.

All I've got to go on is the exploded diagram in the kit, which shows quite a complicated assembly.  I'm sure I can fix it and rig something up myself, but what would be a help is to actually see one!

Please can I ask if anyone has got one of these locos that they might be able to photograph the motion bracket for us to see?  Or even better, if anyone has an unbuilt kit, could they scan the valvegear fret for me?

I know its a long shot, but if anyone could help I would be eternally grateful!

Thanks very much,

Dave.

18 minutes ago, DLT said:

A bit of a long-shot folks.

Jack has passed his superb N15X to me to assemble the valvegear etc, but there is a problem!  The large motion plate that everything is mounted on has been cut up for some reason (not by Jack I hasten to add!) but by a previous owner.

All I've got to go on is the exploded diagram in the kit, which shows quite a complicated assembly.  I'm sure I can fix it and rig something up myself, but what would be a help is to actually see one!

Please can I ask if anyone has got one of these locos that they might be able to photograph the motion bracket for us to see?  Or even better, if anyone has an unbuilt kit, could they scan the valvegear fret for me?

I know its a long shot, but if anyone could help I would be eternally grateful!

Thanks very much,

Dave.

Another long shot, but could try branchlines or SEF,  since they hold the nucast range and there are a small stock of old etches. They may be able to take a pic.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Denbridge said:

Another long shot, but could try branchlines or SEF,  since they hold the nucast range and there are a small stock of old etches. They may be able to take a pic.

Ah yes, thanks; I omitted to say I have already contacted SEF & Branchlines, to be told that had very little left over from the Nu-Cast range, and practically nothing from the N15X!

Many thanks, Dave.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DLT said:

Ah yes, thanks; I omitted to say I have already contacted SEF & Branchlines, to be told that had very little left over from the Nu-Cast range, and practically nothing from the N15X!

Many thanks, Dave.

I do know that, speaking with Dave, the moulds are knackered and they don't think they have all the masters.  So a re-release is unlikely.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve not got any photos of a Nu-cast N15X, but I’ve included one of the original Langley L class. 

DF489DBC-5E5E-4867-954D-7E279CB427AB.jpeg.3d145dcab1adbe64078394aa648a0a98.jpeg

When Maunsell rebuilt them, he kept as much of the original loco as he could.

I hope it helps

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi DLT & all, 

I've followed your loco building thread and this thread and really enjoyed them - they've really been an inspiration. So if I can help I do have a new & untouched kit in the loft, if you can give me some time to get to it, maybe tomorrow, I'll try to help and give you any information you need.

Kind regards,

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BSW01 said:

I’ve not got any photos of a Nu-cast N15X, but I’ve included one of the original Langley L class. 

When Maunsell rebuilt them, he kept as much of the original loco as he could.

I hope it helps

16 minutes ago, Wilton 34041 said:

Hi DLT & all, 

I've followed your loco building thread and this thread and really enjoyed them - they've really been an inspiration. So if I can help I do have a new & untouched kit in the loft, if you can give me some time to get to it, maybe tomorrow, I'll try to help and give you any information you need.

Kind regards,

Phil

Thank you very much gentlemen, ANY help on this subject will be most gratefully received!

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1