Southern Railway Modelling - Miscellaneous Project work

Jack P

If you wanted an example of a shed with an air of Central and Eastern section and felt like coming to the end of steam how about Redhill. Also Britannia her self had a brief sojourn there on its way to Brighton(Preston Park) for preservation in the national collection. In my Mothers house somewhere there is a photo of me standing on the front of the loco whilst it was standing outside of the shed.

Keith 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jack P said:

...I can't figure out what you mean about the chimney, do you mean replacing it entirely? If so where would I go about sourcing the replacement from?...

Nothing new required. Look at a photo of a real Brit, and there is a rim around the chimney that comes to a pretty sharp edge. Hornby represent it very blunt on this model. In my experience to date this rim is just a push fit over the plain cylinder of the chimney moulding, so easy to remove, modify and replace. (If it is cemented on, then no easy mod, and since it belongs to someone else probably best left alone.)

1 hour ago, KeithHC said:

If you wanted an example of a shed with an air of Central and Eastern section and felt like coming to the end of steam how about Redhill. Also Britannia her self had a brief sojourn there on its way to Brighton(Preston Park) for preservation in the national collection. In my Mothers house somewhere there is a photo of me standing on the front of the loco whilst it was standing outside of the shed.

Keith 

Brittania was at Redhill after she was dropped from the National Collection and evicted from Preston Park. I only know, because a friend of the family took me to see her. It was from Redhill that she was bought for private preservation.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 31/10/2019 at 22:34, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Nothing new required. Look at a photo of a real Brit, and there is a rim around the chimney that comes to a pretty sharp edge. Hornby represent it very blunt on this model. In my experience to date this rim is just a push fit over the plain cylinder of the chimney moulding, so easy to remove, modify and replace. (If it is cemented on, then no easy mod, and since it belongs to someone else probably best left alone.)

I see what you mean. I managed to get the part off - but I thought I better leave it, nothing worse than botching something up when it's not yours!

She has a few little touches left to go, but on the whole the project is complete! It's not perfect, but I would argue nothing really ever is, my mate is happy, and that's what's important!

49008550963_a8171c5298_b.jpg

Hopefully without sounding too much like a broken record, this has been a lot of fun - a change is really as good as a rest!

49009081516_8772be38a3_b.jpg

49009292882_b4ec8482b1_b.jpg

Two photos of her in the full Golden arrow regalia, at the head of a rake of 12 wheel Pullman coaches. 

To finish off, here's one of them moving photos

I've also got one step closer to finishing this:

49009081511_b65496da7c_b.jpg

Don't scrutinize it too hard, there is a very long list of things that aren't right - not least of which are the tender wheels, which make it sit lower than the loco. But this was designed freehand without any proper technical drawings, and printed mainly in (I think) SLS, with the cab and some other details done in SLA. It certainly has the dimensions of a K though. An LBSC J class which has been done to a much finer standard is actually being pieced together and sent off to a local RMWeb 3D printing expert, which should be exciting.

That's all for now!

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11

2 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

It doesn't matter if the K isn't entirely accurate, it certainly looks like one and it's smashing! 

The J also sounds brilliant, I can't wait to see what that turns out like. 

Exactly! If I'd been a bit more pro-active and bought filler primer I think it would've helped significantly. 

I'll keep everyone updated on the J1 progress, as well as an I3 body, which Javier of this parish has designed to go on the new(er) NS Wills I3 chassis.

32 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Are these potentially going to be made available to purchase? (Well, someone had to ask it...)

I believe so, there is no reason we wouldn't want the general public to have access to these, But I did suggest that we hold off  on the K class re-tool until announcements have been made in January. I don't know anything, but if there is an alphabetical LBSC announcement we can focus our efforts elsewhere.

With the J1 we are working on the chassis being 3D printed too, which means that it's up to the purchaser to obtain, wheels, axles, motor, gearbox, and the motion. Next on the list is an H16 designed to fit on a slightly tweaked S15 chassis. The idea of the comparison will be to see the pros and cons of both adapting a RTR chassis and using a 3D printed one. A big element of this is cost - is it cheaper to buy a full loco and steal the chassis, while selling or retaining the other bits as spares, or to buy your own parts and build the running chassis yourself. any input on this from readers would be great!

6 hours ago, Jack P said:

I'll keep everyone updated on the J1 progress, as well as an I3 body, which Javier of this parish has designed to go on the new(er) NS Wills I3 chassis.

Oooh!

I believe so, there is no reason we wouldn't want the general public to have access to these, But I did suggest that we hold off  on the K class re-tool until announcements have been made in January. I don't know anything, but if there is an alphabetical LBSC announcement we can focus our efforts elsewhere.

Hmm. I'd venture that I for one might be tempted to buy a kit over RTR if the kit was cheaper.

With the J1 we are working on the chassis being 3D printed too, which means that it's up to the purchaser to obtain, wheels, axles, motor, gearbox, and the motion. Next on the list is an H16 designed to fit on a slightly tweaked S15 chassis.

H16?! :swoon: I need one! Well, not really, but I really want one! In fact I might even be tempted to scrap my S15 for that.

The idea of the comparison will be to see the pros and cons of both adapting a RTR chassis and using a 3D printed one. A big element of this is cost - is it cheaper to buy a full loco and steal the chassis, while selling or retaining the other bits as spares, or to buy your own parts and build the running chassis yourself. any input on this from readers would be great!

I would say that offering both would be preferable.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jack P said:

Don't scrutinize it (K class) too hard, there is a very long list of things that aren't right - not least of which are the tender wheels, which make it sit lower than the loco. But this was designed freehand without any proper technical drawings, and printed mainly in (I think) SLS, with the cab and some other details done in SLA. It certainly has the dimensions of a K though.

For those like me that don't know the loco well it looks right enough, in that it doesn't call attention to itself by ill proportions or something manifestly 'not right'.  With the tender wheels sorted out to get the better height match it will look well running on the layout, and for me at least that's the name of the game.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/11/2019 at 21:55, Jack P said:

I see what you mean. I managed to get the part off - but I thought I better leave it, nothing worse than botching something up when it's not yours!

She has a few little touches left to go, but on the whole the project is complete! It's not perfect, but I would argue nothing really ever is, my mate is happy, and that's what's important!

49008550963_a8171c5298_b.jpg

Hopefully without sounding too much like a broken record, this has been a lot of fun - a change is really as good as a rest!

49009081516_8772be38a3_b.jpg

49009292882_b4ec8482b1_b.jpg

Two photos of her in the full Golden arrow regalia, at the head of a rake of 12 wheel Pullman coaches.

Jack

Brit looks great - but of course the Golden Arrow did not contain 12 wheelers in her day! - sory!

Tony

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Jack

Brit looks great - but of course the Golden Arrow did not contain 12 wheelers in her day! - sory!

Tony

Aha - As you know it's well outside my era, I just wanted an excuse to run them! 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jack P said:

Aha - As you know it's well outside my era, I just wanted an excuse to run them! 

If you would permit me to intrude on your thread with an edited photo, here is my version of the lovely 34100 'Appledore' for the LAST steam-hauled Golden Arrow in 1961 ... what a superb engine the Light Pacifics are, as is Iron Duke and as are 12-wheel Pullmans, great atmosphere.

34100_WC_bulleid_golden_arrow_5abcd_r1500.jpg.72e7fda6662022bbdd9185ff5e8c6c91.jpg

I get into all kinds of trouble for posting edited pictures so please feel free to complain and I'll remove it. It's ok to photo edit skies and  stuff, alter brightness contrast, composition, even perspective, but steam or detail, no.   :)

p.s. lovely double slip crossing in foreground, must be in P4... !

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Jack P said:

And they do look great, don't they - I have a rake of 12 wheelers and the extra wheels somehow give a special sound when they run past!

Tony

• Agree 1

On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 00:53, Jack P said:

...The idea of the comparison will be to see the pros and cons of both adapting a RTR chassis and using a 3D printed one. A big element of this is cost - is it cheaper to buy a full loco and steal the chassis, while selling or retaining the other bits as spares, or to buy your own parts and build the running chassis yourself. any input on this from readers would be great!

This far for myself, it has always been cheaper to go the RTR mechanism route, when something suitable and of proven good performance is available. Scout around to find what is required at a good price (the least popular version remaindered, stock clearances, s/h, etc.), and the complete item is typically cheaper than the total of the required components for a kit built mechanism. Selling on the surplus parts - including the box! - can bring the cost down to 'very small indeed'. (The RTR manufacturers are a big help in this matter by not selling body spares to any extent.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oops, it's been a while since i've posted. It seems coming into the silly season and summer here in NZ means my priorities are pulled in different directions. New bike, getting the car serviced, Christmas presents etc etc.

This is a rather large update, so maybe make yourself a tea and settle in!

49129024893_c8ceee454e_b.jpg

Rather sadly my grandmother passed away on the 7th of November, she had been battling with heart failure and while it is immensely sad, the old addage of, "she's in a better place now" certainly applies. I even have a model related project in the works to honour her memory. More on that later though.

My Grandmother grew up in the london suburbs and travelled to school behind steam every day. Was taken to the countryside during the blitz behind steam, and eventually relocated and started a family in Woking. My dad and his brothers have vivid memories of playing near the main line, and being deathly scared of the live rail - a Southern connection if there ever was one!

A little further afield than the Southern is the cutlery photographed below, gifted to me by 'her'. 

49129024308_e30dacf857_b.jpg

49129022158_564cdd07e7_b.jpg

49129698647_cf7ff8a3b0_b.jpg

49129698617_e41f953ebd_b.jpg

49129513386_27ecc7a984_b.jpg

49129512126_ff24276832_b.jpg

49129698037_a02d0142d6_b.jpg

Can anyone help with identification and valuation? I thought some of the LNER stuff looked a little Art Deco in style. Any information is good information though! 

In the same vein, I thought I would post a photo of some NZR heritage, 

49129516161_95c3c7c638_b.jpg

A Crown Lynn NZR saucer (of a cup and saucer set), I am unsure of the vintage but I think, possibly the early 50's. For anyone interested there is some further information here: https://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/topic/1148

I've recently bought a few more from our local auction site (trademe) and we have a few for saucers in storage, along with a few cups. They are a very interesting part of our/my railway history. Plus, my one might be the most often used one in the country - it's the plate the cat eats off!! 

Next up, our local model rail show, Rail-Ex. Now it's certainly no Warley, but it's the biggest show in the lower north island. The first photo of this update is me outside the hall. This year I went with one thing in mind - NZR rail! (any surprises there?)

The first thing that caught my attention was this massive 7 1/4 inch gauge Streamlined NZR J Class sitting in the middle of the hall.

49129516076_bc8c9ebf7f_b.jpg

'Gloria' - in all her, err, glory.

49129515896_db35ab041d_b.jpg

49129704462_0ccaa385d1_b.jpg

49129519621_1401ae91f9_b.jpg

49129030738_504194bc35_b.jpg

Here's some more info on the streamlined J's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NZR_J_class_(1939). A quick summary below;

Built in 1939 the 4-8-4 Mountain class were built by the North Brtish works as a capable mixed traffic engine, designed to run on the secondary lines and be more powerful than the AB class 2-6-0's. they were equipped with some interesting and modern features, like roller bearing axles and twin Westinghouse brake pumps. 3 of them lasted until the end of steam on 26 October 1971, and 3 have been preserved. 

I have recently been in talks with a kit supplier who is due to release this in S-Scale (HO/OO equivalent)  in the new year. Now for what is really a niche industry, the prices of these kits are an interesting talking point. I see/hear lots of complaints about the cost of RTR locos in the UK, and sure, they are on the increase, with the newly announced SECR D due to cost £250. Precious little (read: nothing) is available ready to run for NZR S-scale. There is an expanding range of kits, but they seem to put RTR British stuff into perspective as good value! Most coach kits are around £60, and most wagon kits around £30, the loco kits sort of range from £150-£700 depending on what it is (tank engine - Garratt).

Now this seems expensive on first glance, but these kits come with everything needed except hand tools and paint. So for the loco kits, you get wheels, a self quartering wheel jig, motor, gearbox, nickle silver frames and white-metal castings. I think when you take this into consideration they are actually quite good value. The coach kits also come with compensated bogies, etched plates and transfers! Now, this is where it gets mental. I recently watched a kit-built 4-8-4 loco go up for auction on Trade-me (like a local ebay), it sold on sunday night for the astronomical price of $2011 - approx £1000. 

Of course I've gone and bought some kits, which are due to arrive any day now! NZR modelling here I come!

I was also gifted some EM gauge wheels at Rail-ex.. which I have a plan for, eventually.

Back to models - there was this quaint little early 1900's scene

49129698557_f308e5bef2_b.jpg

49129026073_5495829766_b.jpg

49129029943_a508b91811_b.jpg

49129516011_3f8b84948d_b.jpg

49129700812_c22d50b0c1_b.jpg

49129514926_5849b7fa7c_b.jpg

Some extremely well crafted scenery, all kit built, scratchbuilt etc. Looks fantastic!

Then there's this, for the life of me I can't remember the name of the builder, but it's the product of 15 years work. All scratch-built, except for a few kits/modified RTR items. Even the loco wheels have been turned.

49129516936_aed044dd22_b.jpg

I took precious little in the way of photos of this, but the shay loco ambling around the track had working inside valve gear.

49129515501_74eb3887be_b.jpg

This was my favourite, there was a photo on the board behind of the prototype,  apparently folks here had a bit of a thing for cutting up cars/trucks and throwing them on locomotive chassis'. 

Here's some NZR 9mm, (O gauge equivalent). An NZR AB class (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NZR_AB_class) on a small piece of scenic rolling road.

49129513591_9ac2fe6c77_b.jpg

On the far side of the hall was this gigantic 9mm layout, with a fantastic assortment of stock, everything was DCC sound/lights and being controlled with a wireless hand controller system, all very exciting!

49129022988_e95c7123af_b.jpg

49129023068_391a2b867d_b.jpg

49129514286_ddf1b54504_b.jpg

49129024413_fa75189a7f_b.jpg

49129514696_92106f8f09_b.jpg

49129699017_fc68d697ff_b.jpg

49129025463_9c8a6c1242_b.jpg

Very impressive - I only wish I had taken some more photos!

Now for some of my own medicore attempts:

49129704357_e886e4ef5a_b.jpg

SR cattle wagons have been repainted and the transfer application has begun! I have two of the earlier maunsell diagram ones that are in line for a repaint, but I might wait until the SECr box vans arrive and do them at the same time.

49129026543_1b986d96cc_b.jpg

DONE! My SECR bolsters are finished. Chains, shackles and stanchions added. I did have an issue with one of the AG wheelsets - a tyre delaminated from the wheel centre as it had shrunk and become very warped, no bother, plenty of spares.

That's all for now. apologies that this has gone slightly off topic from specifically 'Southern Railway Modelling', if the NZR stuff gets more serious I might start a different thread!

As usual, comments, criticism,  discussion, random tangents are all welcome, (and if you got this far) thanks for reading!

49130112921_2cdaa2213d_b.jpg

Still looking apparently....

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 18

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas and a happy holiday season to all - It's been fantastic having you all along for the ride so far.

Here to an exciting 2020 - I've certainly got a lot planned!

49268149522_9ce59b9fa2_h.jpg

:drink_mini: Stay safe everyone!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

Jack

Have just finished reading your thread from start to finish - what fantastic skills you demonstrate and thanks for sharing your methods too. I have somehow caught the "Southern" bug, and have amassed quite a selection of SR (BR) locos, although Rule 1 applies because I get the lot, no matter where it might be seen (or not) in reality.

One day, I shall be brave enough to start weathering my locos and stock - only hope I can do so many o the standards you show.

Looking forward to what you might show us this year!

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Typos!
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a brief update.

For those who know, I've had a pretty mediocre workstation so far. However, Having recently moved, and being granted more space, this meant I had options.

Over the summer (if you could call it that here), I've done precious little modelling. I have however spent some time building myself a half decent PC and sorting my modelling space out. Hopefully this means that when things do kick back into gear, i'll be ready to go. What am I waiting on you might ask? Well the rest of my models are still at my parents place and I need to make time to go and get them all!

It's also meant that my photo box is one step further to being done. It now has its own lighting!

49429157837_02f0907f01_h.jpg

That's all for now, but fingers crossed there is some more soon!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 12

Managed to get some 'actual' modelling done over the weekend,

First up, a strip down and repaint of the new Hornby LSWR  Brake Van. It just needs transfers and couplings to finish it off.

49446194681_1996771bb2_h.jpg

I also started weathering the Bachmann Crane;

49446419437_8f5614343f_h.jpg

I also added some details in the form of planks and chain. There's also a few other bits and bobs to go on the match truck.

49445718868_843d6607f0_h.jpg

49446419352_0936e0b34b_h.jpg

That's all for now!

• Like 15