MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

Thread Index

Post #2 - Layout Introduction

Post #3 - Track Plan & Baseboard construction starts

Post #16 - Templot Box file and layout diagram

Post #20 - Basic track plan down for clearance testing with locos and wagons

Post #24 - Hand-built track work being created/laid ... See also Post #46

Post #37 - Ixion Fowler arrival - and an artists impression of the new layout!

Last Updated: 23:03 on 9th March 2017.

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some of you may follow along with my other thread, Marsh Lane (on the 7mm modelling part of this forum), which is detailing the work (very) slowly taking place on my 1980s blue/Railfreight grey diesel depot.  Arksey was originally going to be the ‘BIG’ project - based in the loft and aiming to ‘tick the boxes’ on a few of the requirements that I wanted for a layout.  Unfortunately, a few things haven’t worked out, and with a potential house move in the offing, I decided against spending time on something that would be thrown away. So work on that layout, is suspended pending the move.

But I still had a desire to create something, as I didn’t want to put my hobby on hold.  Hence, I fell back on an idea I had several years ago and never progressed - that of an industrial railway set around a Yorkshire coal mine!  It gave the freedom to do things a little bit different and also to try out different things, and I decided if I created each part as self-contained scenes, not only would it allow me to add detail, but also to allow it to be moved to a new home if necessary.  In addition, it  also allowed a smaller highly detailed scene to be put together and to try out different scenic techniques, in essence become a small 'micro' O gauge layout that would be completed to a hopefully high standard, but still be a testbed.

The Arksey Colliery Railway was therefore born. Envisaged to be located somewhere north of Doncaster in the Yorkshire Coalfield, a short line runs from the Colliery (off scene) to the railway exchange sidings (also off-scene) while there is also a branch running a short distance to the nearby canal, allowing coal to be shipped out by rail or boat.  While initially steam worked, and indeed a small steam fleet is still maintained, the railway (now part of the NCB) adapted electric operation in 1905, akin to Westoe and Harton Collieries (Flickr Pics) in the North East, using locomotives built by Brush at Loughborough, on behalf of British Thompson-Houston (BTH), to the same design as their electric locos for the North Eastern Railway that would later be classified ES1.

The layout represents the fictional location of Marsh Lane Workshops, which is located away from the main sheds but at the end of one of the railway's internal yards. A small single road workshop (that bears some resemblance to the building at High Peak Junction near Cromford. The railway runs at 600v DC, and while the single track main line and depot access headshunt is electrified, the internal line within the building, for safety reasons is not, and hence requires the use of a steam or diesel shunter to move electric locos in or out.  The works also undertake repairs as required on the internal wagons, many of which are ex-LNER wooden or steel bodied hopper wagons.

Adjacent to the depot headshunt is the extremity of a headshunt from the adjacent yard, where BR blue locomotives work into, and are occasionally stabled between duties - hence my evergrowing fleet of 16 O gauge main line locomotives may occasionally be seen!

The layout is 6 foot long by 18 inches wide, excluding the fiddle plates (as I call them!) at each end, each of which is two foot long by 4 inches wide, and can hold two or three locos or a loco and some wagons. Motive power will initially be a Minerva Peckett and Dapol Green 08 (presumed to be on loan), although I currently have one of the Judith Edge Kits brass of ES1 on order so that should be here shortly and I'll detail the build over on my 7mm forum thread, keeping this thread specifically for the layout and operations.

The whole idea and principal is something of a departure for me, but it is the first serious railway modelling I've done in about 15 years, so hopefully it will allow me to try out various new things before progressing onto the bigger layout. I'm also going to be experimenting with some relatively new DCC options, with the aim of getting very slow speed running. 

I should point out that its early days for the layout, and being a ‘one-man’ project, work is unlikely to be quick, although I am hopeful that I can push on and at least get operational trackwork quite quickly.  Alongside the loco-building, I'm also constructing the majority of wagon fleet, and hand-building the trackwork. So yes, in parallel with what many of you are probably thinking, i’ve probably set myself one hell of a challenge!

As ever, I am hopeful that people will enjoy and join in the discussion, as well as offering thoughts, advice and opinions.  I do enjoy the sharing atmosphere of rmWeb, so if there is something you would like to see, or a question you may have, please do feel free to shout and join the discussion.  I really do welcome thoughts and comments, there really are no silly questions in my view, and I hope you choose to follow along and enjoy the ride!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Following on from the first post, as I've been putting some work into planning this layout for about six weeks, really since just after Christmas, the whole thing is quite well advance, in terms of how it be appear and what I'm looking to go where. Indeed, I've held off creating this thread for a few weeks because I didn't want to just be theoretical, but have physical progress to it!

As a result of the planning this is an overview of what is a very basic trackplan.  Normally, this would be too simple for me and lack operational interest and plenty of shunting that I enjoy, but i think its a good example of when "less is more" and a chance for the scenery and operations to provide the interest.

MLW_Trackplan.jpg

I should add that normally of course, it is unlikely there would be any signalling here, but I do have a bit of a love of signalling, so four small ground signals have been included, all of which will be operational using Servos.

There is also a phase two plan, once these two boards are complete, whereby it could extend slightly to include the start of the yard, in a similar way to how the extension Oulton Road appears and works.  That layout being just one of several rmWeb layouts that have been a huge inspiration to me, since I joined this forum.  If I can achieve just half of that realism, I'll be really happy!

First Steps

So with the trackplan all drawn in Templot, it was printed onto A3 paper and double checked to make sure that all worked with regards to building spacing and clearances, which it does. Templot (which is a great software, although a major learning curve) does a brilliant job of helping you plan everything out, especially in O Gauge where the very nature is that more space than you expect is needed!  As I'm going to be hand-building the track, it was also a must-do to give me the templates, although there are only two points both are slightly curved and specific to the location, rather than being generic examples.

With that checked, I managed to do a trip to the local timber yard at lunchtime, and alongside the 2x1 needed for the baseboard frames, acquired a sheet of 8' x 4' 9mm birch plywood, which having taken a cutting list with me they very kindly dealt with.  While I am happy using a circular saw i never seem to get straight lines, no matter what i do, so this was the far better option! An hour after work as light was fading found the first of the frameworks for the two boards put together and the top added.  I have to say, not having to cut the word or the board, also made the production a lot quicker and easier.

IMG_4964.jpg

This morning, I've got the second board built, and the backscene for both boards, and the two outer ends have both been painted a sky blue and are currently drying.  Hopefully I might possibly get them attached tomorrow, then its on to track-building for the next couple of weeks!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 9

Looking forward to this Rich. A nice interesting and unusual project. Can't wait to see that model of the ES1. Definitely something different. Shall be following along with interest. As an aside, I'm glad you've put the layout in layout topics as I can never quite understand why the 7mm section is split off from N and OO. They are all layouts after all whatever scale they maybe.

Cheers

Marcus

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marcus,

Thanks mate. Yes know what you mean. I think the idea was to help differentiate from the vast majority of OO, but I suggested that we all put the gauge in the in the heading then people can choose and find out easier!

I'm keeping the 7mm thread as a Workbench topic, well that's the plan!

Good to have you along. Right .... back to my baseboards!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Well a productive weekend all in all.  Not had a huge amount of time, but have managed to go from this on Friday afternoon...

IMG_4962.jpg

To this at lunchtime today...

IMG_4971.jpg

IMG_4972.jpg

So all in all, not a bad effort!  Probably about five hours work all told.  Im quite pleased with the way the boards have worked, and while not one-finger light, they are solid and easy to move as well as lift, so not particularly heavy.  This is the extent of the scenic part of the layout, two 3' by 18" boards, giving a 6' length in total.  There is still the end back scene boards to be attached, and while painted blue, they need a loco entrance/exit hole cutting in each one before they can be fixed in place, so that will probably be the next task towards the end of the week.  My plan is to attach them in such a way that they can be removed in the future, if I decide to extend things.

In the meantime, thanks to Martin Wynne, I now have an idea of what I'm doing with timber shoving in Templot, so the final tweaks to the track plan, shoving of timbers on the turnouts and I'm hoping this week to get started on the trackwork.  Sleepers, railchairs and rail are all from C&L, although I will try the rail from Slaters when I'm next in Matlock as it is substantially cheaper, and by all accounts not much, if any, different.

Thanks to those who have popped in and/or followed - hopefully it gets a bit more interesting than just wood going forward!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 5

Hi Rich, this is really looking very good mate, I love it's simplicity, just right for small and simple Layouts, I wish I could be as restrained IN ANY GAUGE, hahhah

Well done and keep the pics and Posts coming.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich, this is really looking very good mate, I love it's simplicity, just right for small and simple Layouts, I wish I could be as restrained IN ANY GAUGE, hahhah

Well done and keep the pics and Posts coming.

Cheers Andy,

Really pleased with the baseboards up to press - still got work to do on them, such as the scenic ends and the light box across the front, but at least its progressing, and hopefully won't be long before the track is down! Normally Im the same as you, just one more point! ... but usually I say that several times :)

Been giving consideration to the motive power - rolling stock I've got some ideas on the kits I need to acquire for the wagons, but trains won't be very long so shouldn't be an issue.  However having seen Chris Klein's centre-cab version of the Ixion Fowler, Im going to be keeping my eyes open for one at a low price and see if I can do a similar conversion.  No particular real-life example in mind, but that one does look more 'I'm here to do a job' to me!

This pic from Chris Klein's thread, illustrates what I'm talking about trying to replicate - all copyright is Chris' not mine.

post-13142-0-04469800-1461943484_thumb.j

Rich

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Paul.

I've been scouring Flickr and the web tonight for pictures of the electrification - i.e. OHL, masts and detail shots - of the Westoe Colliery system.  Quite a few shots on Flickr of the trains, where the wires are visible, but very few that give any detail of the connections or masts.  If anyone can help please do shout!  

The industrial OHL is obviously very different from the main line equipment, a lower voltage apart from anything, but Id like to try and get it looking reasonably similar if possible.

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Rich,

Only just found your thread.  Well done on the background to your new layout, you've obviously put a lot of time and thought into it.  I have to say, reading it through I found it very belivable!  Not normally into the industrial scene on Standard Gauge, but this layout proposal lit a spark with me, especially with the prospect of BR blue diesels occasionally appearing(!), so shall be following with interest.  You seem to have cracked on with the baseboards really quickly - wish my wood working skills were that good!

You mention about electrification views on the Westoe Colliery Railway - well like I said, im not normally into Standard Gauge industrial so went searching to learn out a bit more about it and in the process came across some views away from Flickr.  Have you see this shot on the RailScot website?  That shows one of the poles and wire connections quite well, as do these two...

https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=18118

https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=49535

Thought i'd post them in case they helped you.  That railway is a lovely thing, shame it didnt survive to the current day - that last picture to me would be perfect for a small diorama, plenty of interest and detail!  But im sure yours will be too, given the work you've done on your 7mm thread - can't wait to see it progress.

Hope the above helps.

Richie

Edited by Richie Kynaston

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richie,

Thanks for your kind comments - I do like to set the story behind a fictional layout or location, I find it helps in deciding operating practice and also the scenery.  I have to say, the baseboards are nothing special - just basic woodworking, I'm not an expert by any means!

Thanks for those photos, that does help, and I'd not seen those three before.  Hopefully some more interesting progress with trackwork later this week, work permitting.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Well something of a stressful day at work today, but home and relaxing now! I've spent half an hour 'tweaking' couple of minor issues related to clearance and the like on the track plan, I've also shoved the timbers as Martin suggested and am now happy with those - and as I type this, there are several sheets of A3 paper sat alongside me that now need sticking together to be put on the board and allow the trackwork to be built.  Im day off Thursday (YAY!) so hopefully some progress will be made with the layout trackwork.

As I've previously commented, there is still work to be done on the boards themselves in relation to the ends and light boxes, but might leave that till the weekend, and actually do some modelling.

In the meantime, to provide some interest, a shot of my Minerva Peckett, which will form one of the locos for the new layout - hopefully to be joined by one of the big Minerva tanks in the not too distant future.  These Pecketts are delightful and the audio quality from Paul Chetter is superb. Obviously, this has yet to be weathered.

NikonDSLR1.jpg

Points will be worked by servos, mounted below the boards. These will be mounted in my own design of servo mounts, which are laser-cut MDF.

IMG_4884LARGE.jpg

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Just after i'd posted and shut the computer down last night, it occurred to me, that some people may like the Templot file, either to adapt for their own use or to see what ive done (or should that be the mess i've made?)  So the templot file is attached, feel free to view, copy, alter etc.. and a screenshot of the layout, showing the outline of the two 3ft x 18 inch boards is shown below.

Rich

post-16721-0-38213500-1488409404_thumb.png

Arksey Colliery Railway - Micro - v3.box

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

My best of intentions for the day seemed to go somewhat awry! A combination of a heavy rain shower that 'stopped play' mid-way through the afternoon, and a forgotten doctors check-up that I ended up rushing out to, means that one way or another my day off has vanished!  

Did get an hour to work on the baseboards however, and both 'scenic' ends have now been fitted.  The full length backscene has been fitted by then gluing the back scene and frame with 'no-nails', then bolting it to the base framework to give a very firm backdrop.  For the ends though, I wanted to ensure that should I wish to extend the layout in the future, I could do and needed a way that would allow the ends to be removed, but still be firm in the short term.  Using 'no-nails' was therefore a big no-no!  Instead, the ends are bolted to the base frame in the same way as previously, but then I've run some aluminium angle up the join between the end and back, to bring the two together, and give further strength.  The Lightbox is still to be added along the front but at least progress is being made, and Im at a stage where I can now go an spend an hour or two progressing the trackbed :)

Just conscious I want to get this right - so any thoughts/opinions are always welcome.

Todays work so far....  Hope people are finding this interesting, although I acknowledge that trackwork and trains provides more interesting reading and viewing!  Only pics of one board, but the other one is identical.

post-16721-0-77095700-1488481912_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-32429600-1488481941_thumb.jpg

Rich

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Managed to spend a rather enjoyable couple of hours working on the two boards. Both now have the first layer of cork covering on them, and I've loosely placed the cut out Templot plans on top, really just to allow me to think about the planned scenery and how its going to work (or not!).

I know cork is one of those 'personal preference' items, but it does seem to have kept the noise down on my 13' long test plank.  Im going this one sightly different in that its going to have two layers of cork on it.  One is a general all over covering, the other will just be under the track to raise it up slightly, and allow the ballast shoulder to be provided without excessive amounts of ballast.  My line of thinking is that in places, I can also cut away the base cork lever and create graduations in the ground level.

So, a few pictures to show progress this evening - ARRRGH getting in a right mess with these tonight!  These were just taken on the iPhone, not the DSLR so nothing special!

post-16721-0-57456800-1488495689_thumb.jpg

Cork layer going down. I've glued this with PVA just round the outer edges to hold it in place.

post-16721-0-98665800-1488495703_thumb.jpg

This is Board 1 - the left hand of the two, showing the depot headshunt (left) the headshunt for the unseen yard (right) and main line (centre)

Followed by a couple of views giving some idea what the photo opportunities will be:

post-16721-0-38575600-1488495694_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-12749500-1488495699_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-70763200-1488495720_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-38811700-1488495726_thumb.jpg

Then I moved onto Board 2 - the 08 is stood in what will be the workshop building, the wagons on the main line.  The exits have got to be cut in the ends yet, but I decided to wait until the track plan was down to make sure these came in the right place!

post-16721-0-63960400-1488495735_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-58762800-1488495740_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-30591100-1488495746_thumb.jpg

All in all - quite happy with the progress.  I've just used a couple of locos that were at on my test layout at this point, but its shown the operational interest to me, and allowed me to give through to where the scenic sections and ground signals will go.

Rich

post-16721-0-88078700-1488495646_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-17792000-1488495708_thumb.jpg

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Just one more for the night - on the right will be a grass banking, with a road bridge hiding the exit from this end of the layout.

post-16721-0-88078700-1488495646_thumb.jpg

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul/Andy, much appreciated. Also thanks to the silent majority for taking an interesting and reading the updates - quite amazed that we're almost at 1,000 views in a week!

An early finish at lunchtime today, has given me the ability to spend an afternoon relaxing with the layout boards, and spurred on by last nights progress of seeing locos actually on the boards, I set to with Board 1 (which is the left hand of the two) and laid the second layer of cork.

IMG_5013.jpg

Now some may query, why use two layers, rather than just the one?  Well although the layout is flat, in terms of the track level, I wanted to create some undulations in the ground cover, hopefully.  The cork I'm using is 6mm thick floor tiles, so the sleepers will be 12mm above the baseboard level.  Some of the base level cork (which covers the entire board) will get cut away once I'm doing the scenery, which should help with giving depth and the like to puddles/grass.

I've not been too neat or careful with the second layer, as it will get covered by ballast and will not ever be seen, and with its purpose being purely functional, there are some rough edges!  Over this, the cut out Templot plan was then relaid.  The 2nd layer cork is just very loosely pinned with OO gauge track tacks to the bottom layer so there is some breathing space.

Next the P-Way crew turned up, and it looks like they brought half a forest with them, but judging by the speed the sleepers went down, they left the kettle back at base!!

IMG_5017.jpg

Working on the premise the sooner they got it done, the sooner they got back for a brew, they have cracked on quite well!! The sleepers are all C&L, those nearest the lens on the left hand road, do need trimming in a couple of places just to tidy things up, but they are the self-cut sleepers for the depot/main line point.   If your comparing back to the original track plan, the left hand road is the dead-end workshop headshunt, the middle road is the main line, and the right hand line is just a siding, accessible only from the sector plate.

Next the track crew turned up, and remarkably the first rail on the headshunt, along with the main rail on the point went down quite quickly.  Im going to work on getting the point laid totally this weekend, hopefully. The 'vee' has been filed down this afternoon, just got the blades to do.

IMG_5021.jpg

IMG_5022.jpg]

Excuse the two right hand loose rails, just fixed with blu-tac to make sure they don't fall off the board!  From the above angle, I'm quite pleased I cannot even see the rail join with my eye when I look along the length!

IMG_5024.jpg

But as you can see, it is there and all rail-joinered up too!  So progress has this week, been a lot quicker than I imagined it would be.  Hopefully I can get the point finished this weekend, and the other rail in on the headshunt, and we might just have had the first movement by Monday!  This board as the majority of the track on it.  Board 2 (the right hand one) is just one point, the main line and the workshop line, part of which is going to be copper clad trackwork as it will be covered by cobbles.

Yet to work out the best way of doing cobbles, although if I can find a way of stamping the DAS clay is looking possible.

Hope your all enjoying the read - any questions or comments please shout!

Rich

• Like 9

Thanks Paul/Andy, much appreciated. Also thanks to the silent majority for taking an interesting and reading the updates - quite amazed that we're almost at 1,000 views in a week!

An early finish at lunchtime today, has given me the ability to spend an afternoon relaxing with the layout boards, and spurred on by last nights progress of seeing locos actually on the boards, I set to with Board 1 (which is the left hand of the two) and laid the second layer of cork.

IMG_5013.jpg

Now some may query, why use two layers, rather than just the one?  Well although the layout is flat, in terms of the track level, I wanted to create some undulations in the ground cover, hopefully.  The cork I'm using is 6mm thick floor tiles, so the sleepers will be 12mm above the baseboard level.  Some of the base level cork (which covers the entire board) will get cut away once I'm doing the scenery, which should help with giving depth and the like to puddles/grass.

I've not been too neat or careful with the second layer, as it will get covered by ballast and will not ever be seen, and with its purpose being purely functional, there are some rough edges!  Over this, the cut out Templot plan was then relaid.  The 2nd layer cork is just very loosely pinned with OO gauge track tacks to the bottom layer so there is some breathing space.

Next the P-Way crew turned up, and it looks like they brought half a forest with them, but judging by the speed the sleepers went down, they left the kettle back at base!!

IMG_5017.jpg

Working on the premise the sooner they got it done, the sooner they got back for a brew, they have cracked on quite well!! The sleepers are all C&L, those nearest the lens on the left hand road, do need trimming in a couple of places just to tidy things up, but they are the self-cut sleepers for the depot/main line point.   If your comparing back to the original track plan, the left hand road is the dead-end workshop headshunt, the middle road is the main line, and the right hand line is just a siding, accessible only from the sector plate.

Next the track crew turned up, and remarkably the first rail on the headshunt, along with the main rail on the point went down quite quickly.  Im going to work on getting the point laid totally this weekend, hopefully. The 'vee' has been filed down this afternoon, just got the blades to do.

IMG_5021.jpg

IMG_5022.jpg]

Excuse the two right hand loose rails, just fixed with blu-tac to make sure they don't fall off the board!  From the above angle, I'm quite pleased I cannot even see the rail join with my eye when I look along the length!

IMG_5024.jpg

But as you can see, it is there and all rail-joinered up too!  So progress has this week, been a lot quicker than I imagined it would be.  Hopefully I can get the point finished this weekend, and the other rail in on the headshunt, and we might just have had the first movement by Monday!  This board as the majority of the track on it.  Board 2 (the right hand one) is just one point, the main line and the workshop line, part of which is going to be copper clad trackwork as it will be covered by cobbles.

Yet to work out the best way of doing cobbles, although if I can find a way of stamping the DAS clay is looking possible.

Hope your all enjoying the read - any questions or comments please shout!

Rich

Rich,

Giles Flavell (Denton Brook) had an etched tool made for embossing cobbles and ran a few extra for sale. I have one and suggest you contact him.

Chris