I bought the same iron a few months ago based on a recommendation in the Wright Writes thread. I would strongly recommend it. 

I also bought a pack of a selection of tips with the intention of finding out which ones I used most.

PS It also has three presets you can set to different temperatures. Very handy.

Edited by Guest
Spelling

I bought an ESRA RH80 unit with similar functions some years ago, ordering it from the USA, thinking I was getting it at a better price.  Then found myself stung for customs duty which made it dearer than if I'd ordered from the EU!  :(

I have to say that it has proved an excellent purchase.  I mostly use a 2mm chisel bit running at 300°C for ordinary soldering as I like to get plenty heat in there as quickly as possible.

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 14/07/2019 at 19:33, Andy Hayter said:

Not a problem - 220 - 240V same as most of Europe - including the UK.

Weird: when I followed the link, the photo showed 110v!

• RMweb Premium

In that case I linked to the wrong machine - apologies.  They do the equivalent at 220V

Edit:  Looks like my ultra-safe computer security system is directing to the US (.com) site and is refusing to link to the UK (.co.uk) site.  Computer security is all well and good but sometimes it goes to far.

Edited by Andy Hayter
extra info.
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Weekend plans!

9J #216 to be thoroughly weathered.  This process started last weekend....

Then I'll be looking either at a ROD or an 8A.

And, if the weather behaves itself, on Sunday afternoon I'm off to a friend's house for the afternoon for a garden party/ watching 16mm scale trains go by afternoon. 

• Like 2

The 8A should, in theory, be a fairly quick turnaround.  Last night off came the LNER markings, a new coat of matt black went down and today I'm debating what sort of a finish I want.  They were fairly unkempt by 1919 but for personal reasons that doesn't seem right for this particular model.  Clean unlined black could be an option but it would be quite similar to what I have in mind for my ROD.  Modellers licence and pre-1914 lined black?  That does sound quite appealing you know. 

• Like 2

48335878786_c4ab0effe8_b.jpg

48336029012_dd08132a3f_b.jpg

48335879336_47abee2bf9_b.jpg

48335879661_745366b7b9_b.jpg

48336029872_5355843b91_b.jpg

That was a quick turnaround.  I've gone for a lined out finish with just some light weathering.  For some reason as the weathering wash was wiped off it took some areas of the lining with it, but actually... that doesn't matter.  It suggests a tired finish.  I quite like this one. 

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

If you want an idea of roughly what I'm aiming at, you could certainly do worse than reading the current copy of Model Railway Journal (#272).  Not exactly that of course, RLS will be a terminus and without the Lancashire and Yorkshire aspect, but it's a good mark of what I have in mind.  It's also nice to see some of my coaching stock choices vindicated (Hornby clerestories and Ratio 4-wheelers).

• Like 1

Low-melt solder and temperature-controlled iron duly ordered. 

The restaurant car has been painted in matt orange and will soon be re-teaked. 

I've been struggling recently with plotting out how I want my townscape to look, well today I visited Leamington Spa with some friends and I might have cracked a part of it, at least.  I'm talking about the girder bridge over Leamington High Street, which has got a good interesting semi-urban thing going on.  It's also quite similar of course to the route of the GC through Leicester and south Nottingham.  I'm trying to avoid the hackneyed road along the backscene and round the front of the station approach and this might be one way of doing it. 

• Like 2

To a very approximate scale of 1:20, this is what I'm thinking around. So, coming left to right along the scene, the train would cross a road bridge. I'm torn at the moment between a brick skew arch or a plate girder type- both would be appropriate, really, looking at the GCR route through Leicester for inspiration. Anyway, the important think is it's over a road junction, in the apex of which I'll build that Fothergill Watson-inspired office block/ studio I drew up. On the left hand fork heading toward the backscene I'll place some houses- I have the Hornby Victorian semis in mind for this- whilst coming back either side of the FW building I'll put some shop buildings and aim for typical Nottinghamshire market town vernacular. In front of the bridge on the left hand side there would be more typical shops and on the right hand side a retaining wall with an access road sloping up to the coal yard. Once over the bridge the train is into the station, and along the back of the layout I want to avoid just a simple street scene, so I'm thinking along the lines of alleyways, small yards, little industrial shacks and buildings.... something like the air of the Newman Brothers coffin factory in Birmingham (which is a great little museum to visit if you're ever in the area).  At the platform ends clearly there would be the main station buildings and then I am thinking in terms of the main road straight across the front and the other side, the station hotel. I'm thinking of something along the lines of the hotel built alongside Chesterfield Market Place for this structure. 

IMG_20190728_115634221.jpg

• Like 7

Coal drops were (relatively) common on the former MS&L. There used to be a splendid set-up at Ardwick (Manchester) and I think they still exist at Penistone, albeit long converted into garages. 

Where they were not found was on the London Extension. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

40 minutes ago, James Harrison said:

The GCR restaurant car is finished.  The plan for this weekend- a Barnum brake.  Or at least, starting one.  I have an idea...

Ooooow I am interested to see how you are going to approach that.

richard

• Agree 1

The passenger saloon end will be done as-per my previous Barnums; silhouette cutter.  For the brake end I've ordered some matchboard-style plastic sheet and will build it in the time-honoured fashion.  What I'm not sure about is, how the two will match up and whether there will be an obvious joint in the two halves.  It's worth a go I think. 

• Like 2

Actually, a thought has just struck me.  I've got the silhouette cutter files for the Barnum saloon, if I simply cut two more complete sides from that file (as though I were building a third saloon carriage) and then cut those two sides in half, I've then got the passenger saloons for a pair of Barnum brakes and I could then build both of my planned brake carriages together, as one project.  Sounds like a plan?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Work on the Barnum brakes has officially begun.  First stage- yesterday- was to run the saloon files through the silhouette cutter.  This gives me two floors in 20thou, a pair of saloon sides in 10thou, and two sets of ends and internal partitions in 20thou. Once these had been scored in (I never set the cutter to cut comepletely through the material, just deep enough to give me a guideline for cutting by hand with a scalpel) I rubbed over the sheet with a graphite stick to bring up the scored edges. 

Today I have glued up the floors (each floor is a laminate of two pieces of 20thou, for a total floor thickness of 40thou), then use some plastic 2mm  3mm I section girder for the underframes.  Bogies will be some ex-Mainline (think they're ex-Mainline) LMS carriage bogies, which look about right and cost me £3 a pair when I bought them last year.

The overall plan is to build the saloon sides, split them in two giving me two brake saloon ends, then build up two brake ends in 20thou wood panel effect plastic sheet, which I've had to order in especially.

• Like 4