Could it be that the weight of the axles and wheels, with the taper on the axle ends and in the bearings, is pushing the W-hangers out while the glue sets?  Not a problem if soldering , but that doesn't solve it in respect of plastic kits.

You could try putting a couple of small clamps across the axleboxes to hold the axles tight into the bearings while the glue sets.  If you used G-clamps or the like then you could tighten them just enough to hold the pin-point in the bearings.   Not a problem I've ever had to deal with, but just an idea as to how I might overcome it.

HTH  Jim

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I have to ask the silly questions although you are too good a modeller to have missed it.

I assume that the bottom of the solebar, the bit that sits on the wagon, is flat and flush fitting to the bottom of the wagon, and it is in the correct place.  I usually turn my wagons/ coaches over with the wheels in when freshly glued to see if they stay in.  If they appear to be loose I carefully push the solebars together.  If they slay on the next day it sounds as if it is not dry enough.

What bearings are you using?

Edited by ChrisN
Missed that Caley Jim had replied so it might be superfluous

I generally use pinpoint bearings (not the top hat type, the ones that sit flush in the axle boxes) and Hornby axles.  I find it quite difficult to get the solebars in the wrong place; generally I find that the plastic kits have the locations moulded and the whitemetal kits have the solebar cast integral with the wagon side.  It's like they start to overturn as soon as the axles go in. 

• Like 1

I think I might have fixed it, but the way I did it might be a bit around the houses for some.  I'm sure there are other/ better ways which I'm happy to hear of and try in the future. 

The problem I had was that when the axles were fitted, the solebars would try to pivot about the joint with the wagon floor.  The axle boxes would therefore spread and the moment the wagon was put right way up and rested on its wheels, the whole lot would drop down and rest on the wheel flanges with the axles dropped out of the axleboxes. 

I tried a few times to fix this by making the wagon side/ end joints stronger to prevent the rotating action but quite rapidly the joints filled up with various glues and solder and whatnot in an effort to get a truly solid connection with the same end result. 

So I went back to first principles and figured that what is needed is a more robust means of supporting the wagon on the axle.  As provided in the kit, the floor is pretty much cosmetic and the sides provide the strength.  I decided to reverse this and make the floor structural and the sides cosmetic. 

So I built a new floor from 1mm plastic sheet, then I fitted some 8mm square plastic section.  I wrapped some paper around the axles and then glued this paper tube to those plastic sections.  So- turning this upright now- in effect I've got one big inside bearing on each axle.  The wagon can't drop onto the wheeltops because there's a whacking great support from the axle to the wagon floor....

Then I added the wagon sides around the new floor, in effect the original axle boxes are basically just cosmetic now (though I haven't done anything in the way of cutting off axle ends or removing brass bearings or anything like that- the axles still sit in the original axleboxes).  So now it really doesn't matter if the sides try to rotate or spread because the axle is still supported or restrained in any case. 

48924212897_ca4bfb1b5d_c.jpg

• Like 1

Only problem you now ave is that the wagon will not be nearly as free running due ti the friction between the tube and the axle, but if you're only running short trains, that won't be an issue.   It might have been better if you could have made the support removable, eg a half tube with a support under it, not glued to the floor,(I'm meaning 'under' when the vehicle is inverted) which could be taken out once everything had set solid and the axle could then be held in the bearings.

Jim

• Like 1

Rolling resistance has increased somewhat, however I anticipate running only eight or nine-wagon rakes, so it's probably not going to be too much an issue.  I'm just relieved not to be faced with an uncurable problem at this point!  I think there might be mileage in the idea of making an axle stand for the temporary/ half built condition for other wagons.

• Like 2

One Grafar carriage matchboarded, re-teaked, transferred and varnished.... that's nice, four more and I'll have a rake of them.  Nine more and I'll have two rakes of them....

The plan, if I get around to it today, is to carry on with the twin bolsters.  I'm happy they can carry their own weight now so I can start painting them up and adding couplings and smaller details. 

• Like 3

The twin bolsters are now built and painted and just need some transfers and varnish.  I decided to push on and get my other whitemetal kit out of the way, which is a 10-ton open from the GCRS.  An easier build than the bolsters (the axles showed a bit more willing to stay in place), when it is finished I'm going to have to think about how I want to organise my goods stock as I'll have a rake of vacuum-braked freight vehicles. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, richard i said:

Vacuum brakes form the heads of any train they are in. A whole train of them would be rare, except for fish trains. 

Richard

I've been studying the Sharnbrook accident of 1909. This was the wreck of an up Manchester express goods train, 24 wagons, of which the first 18 were fitted with the vacuum brake. 

Edited by Compound2632
typo
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've just read the report for Sharnbrook; sobering.  A bit to ponder, really, about how much vacuum fitted stock to supply in relation to hand brake only- when I get around to it I'll have to look at the tables in Tatlow and try to work out ratios of one to the other. 

Progress report to date though...

49005116843_0d31061010_b.jpg

49005863982_df44d313e3_b.jpg

The latest effort of the carriage shops.  That's nice; only four more of them and I'll have a rake.  Then another rake to attend to...

49005864012_4ac976fd87_b.jpg

The bolster wagons are nearly finished.

49005654346_5f6498e33e_b.jpg

I decided to get the whitemetal kits over and done with, so the next project on the table is the GCRS kit for a 21' 10-ton open.  These aren't mineral wagons but for general merchandise traffic, so I've got the excuse to use one of my stockpiled wagon tarpualins on this, if it will fit. 

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I think I am right in saying these were "fitted" wagons, or rather "piped" so certainly not used for coal or mineral traffic but for merchandise, including transit in "fast" trains. Of which the GC ran rather a lot, although mostly overnight which is why photos are rare.

I have an idea I have read somewhere they were sometimes used for fish traffic, but don't quote me on that as I don't recall the source or whether it had any real authority. Anyway I suspect these things would have had tarps on them more often than not, and they would use two or even three tarps if it was necessary.

• Informative/Useful 3

Yes, that would fit in with what I remember. A zinc floor, I suspect, easier to keep scrubbed. Because fishes are exceedingly stinky traffic and their odour soaks into anything permeable. It seems slightly "odd" to put fish in open wagons, but the GWR certainly did so, to name but one. 

• Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, Poggy1165 said:

It seems slightly "odd" to put fish in open wagons, but the GWR certainly did so, to name but one. 

The CR also had some open fish trucks, modified from Dia15 open wagons by being fitted with Westinghouse and vacuum brakes and oil axleboxes.  Also some built on old carriage underframes.

Jim

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Poggy1165 said:

It seems slightly "odd" to put fish in open wagons, but the GWR certainly did so, to name but one. 

I always thought that they were put in crates and/or barrels first, in which case, why not?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The notion of open fish wagons starts Emmett-like notions in my mind of wagons being flooded with water and live fish dumped in them for transit....

Today's work; the bolster wagons are finished, the open wagon edges a little nearer to completion and, when I reached a point of it where it needed to be set aside, I pulled out one of my Pollitt 2-4-2 tanks for work.  It needs a new chimney (fitted), frames around the radial trucks need to be reinstated and then it needs painting in GCR green. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, James Harrison said:

The notion of open fish wagons starts Emmett-like notions in my mind of wagons being flooded with water and live fish dumped in them for transit....

You are thinking of fish tank wagons, which both the Great Central and the Midland had. Examples of both here:

The Midland vehicle is nearer the camera.

• Like 3

Starting work on one of my Pollitt 2-4-2 tanks gets me thinking about the other small tanks waiting their turn in the works; another 2-4-2 and a pair of 0-6-2s.  To which end, this morning I dug out the other 2-4-2 (a whitemetal kit from the Cotswold stable).  No instructions.  No chassis.  I know, when I bought it, I bought a Nellie chassis to motorise it.... but I'm damned if I can remember where I put it.  Which is a little bit embarrassing considering last night I ordered a set of Hornby M7 wheels for the chassis I now can't find. 

When it comes to the 0-6-2s, they're both whitemetal too.  One I bought already built, but it's not motorised.  The glued joints are also starting to fail on it so I think it will be one of my classic Ebay restoration jobs.  The other one is completely unbuilt. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, James Harrison said:

Starting work on one of my Pollitt 2-4-2 tanks

I had to look those up. The Parker Class 3 2-4-2Ts have a very Worsdellish air about them - in pre-Belpaire form, it's only the curve to the top of the cab cut-out that distinguishes them. The Pollitt Class 9G engines have an altogether more Aspinall aspect. Curious.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Weekend update time!

The long wheelbase open wagon is finished....

49073971298_5ed9cab0ec_b.jpg

It's actually quite a nice model, my regard for whitemetal notwithstanding.  Unfortunately I don't think it is currently available from the GCRS, otherwise I might have bought one or two more. 

And the next project...

49074500111_35cacc398f_b.jpg

This loco has a bit of an interesting history, in that I bought it several years ago via Ebay.  When it arrived it was sporting 4'6" driving wheels and LNER black livery.  I fitted some Hornby M7 driving wheels to it and left it at that (actually, no, that's not right.  I destroyed the frames fore and aft trying to get it to go round 1st radius curves).  Then when I decided to move my modelling date back to pregrouping, it joined a long long list of locos in need of attention (which I do look at, now and again, and occasionally pick one at random and do some work on it).  

So, in this go through the works, I have replaced the LNER flowerpot chimney with a Robinson type and reinstated the frames.  The paintwork is very much a work in progress right now.

• Like 5