You're right, it can, can't it?  Yes, I think it should actually.  I managed to get the station side skewed around a bit more too, it's surprising how not having everything at 90 degree angles or parallel to the walls makes for a more interesting plan.  Plus, although the boards will be deeper, it really gives me the opportunity to indulge my wannabe architect habit. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

This is very rough and very scruffy, but if you are up to building it, or heavily modifying a Peco “short” diamond crossing and adjoining point work to preserve the track centres, you could go for a very urban looking compressed piece of track involving a double-sided tandem, a diamond, a single slip and a double slip, plus a few other turnouts:

7A359937-4BD5-443A-A68F-3F9B27513B8E.jpeg.74fb0006ac523e4f4b491b12f7e82aa1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Regularity said:

This is very rough and very scruffy, but if you are up to building it, or heavily modifying a Peco “short” diamond crossing and adjoining point work to preserve the track centres, you could go for a very urban looking compressed piece of track involving a double-sided tandem, a diamond, a single slip and a double slip, plus a few other turnouts:

7A359937-4BD5-443A-A68F-3F9B27513B8E.jpeg.74fb0006ac523e4f4b491b12f7e82aa1.jpeg

I've just set this up in SCARM; without altering the track centres it clocks in at a smidge under 3'.  I do rather like the flow of it, I think it is certainly worth further investigation. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The move went ahead over two weekends and now I'm just waiting for the post office man to connect up my internet (hence the silence). I'll be making a start on RLS, in some way or another, just so soon as I can clear some space in the back bedroom (which is currently cluttered up with all my railway stuff. Ah).

• Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, James Harrison said:

And... we're out the other side.  Post office man connected up the internet today so the media blackout is at an end.  Now, if I can just see my way to clearing that spare room...

That’s great news. It always takes a little time to get back up to speed. 

Richard 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right this is the plan (as soon as having written this of course something will change...)

Next weekend- all being well- my brother is going to come over and help me put a load of bookshelves up in the sitting room.  Then all of my non-railway books will move from three bookcases in the dining room onto the new shelves.  This frees up the bookcases for all of my railway books to come down (temporarily) from the spare room.  Whilst the spare room is relatively empty I can rearrange things so that I can actually get to stuff....

I need to keep some decent space free in the spare room for a pair of new doors that will be arriving this week.  Hopefully in a few weeks an electrician visits to sort out a new light fitting and wiring.  Six weeks time a carpenter visits to rehang a few old doors and fit a few new ones.  When that is done I'm free to redecorate the front sitting room.... meaning all the books get moved again... but when the front sitting room is finishd the spare room can at least begin to become my workshop.  (Breathe!) 

All being well I reckon I'm looking at probably two months before the spare room can become the 'railway room' and then probably several months further on after that even before I get around to looking at it in any meaningful sense.  I have a whole house to sort out first and whilst I can live without my trains for a while, I can't live indefinitely with holes in walls, rusty radiators and piles of things everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• 2 weeks later...

Working from home for the next who-knows-how-long, as my asthma puts me in a deemed vulnerable category (meanwhile the rest of the office grits its teeth and keeps going in until overtaken by events). 

On the plus side, this means I don't have to spend two hours each day travelling to and from work.  On the debit side, everything is still packed away as the house takes priority (even if it does mean the house gets done that little bit sooner).

• Friendly/supportive 7

• 2 weeks later...

Bouncing off the walls in here, last night I ordered the one missing piece of pointwork for RLS' throat; the small crossover.  Actually, that's not right.  If I build it with track I have to hand, I can do it with an odd mix of Code 100 and Code 75.  As I want to standardise on Code 75, means all the points need to be swapped.  And then because I want to use bullhead track so far as possible means waiting on Peco for their slips.  And waiting.  And waiting.  And a plague happens.  And still waiting.  And I'm quite confident plague will have done its thing and walked away humming a tune we all hate and we'll still be waiting.  

I'm wondering, actually, whether we'll see bullhead slips, medium points and crossings in this decade.   

• Friendly/supportive 4

This weekend something might get done.  Where was I before the move?  I recall being halfway through a 2-4-2 tank and with my Sam Fay being prepared for a repaint.

Well, I don't think I want to launch into kitbuilding right now as there's too much opportunity for parts to go on a vision quest and never be heard of again, but I'm reasonably confident City of Lincoln could go into GCR black without too much risk of number and nameplates disappearing into the void. 

We shall see.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Stafford no.1 Shop is officially inaugurated, if only in a very limited sense at present.  City of Lincoln has been repainted into pre-August 1922 Great Central black. 

Now just to line her out.... and then crack on with rebuilds/ refits of her running mates.

49760633813_8f0beddeac_c.jpg

Edited by James Harrison
  • Like 5

It feels good to be modelling again, a bit of a break from a house where everywhere I turn there's something needing to be done when I have the money and materials (or when this damnable plague has done its thing and tradespeople can come again). 

I think today's jobs will be to repaint the bufferbeams and pull out John Quick's livery book, and maybe paint the brightwork. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

13 minutes ago, James Harrison said:

I've not forgotten about that; just not got around to it yet.  That can be today's little job, along with repainting the bufferbeams and the inside faces of the cab sheets.

I knew you would be on the case. It helps break up all the blackness. 
richard 

• Like 2

I'm told that the back of the tender top should be black, so that will be put right today.  Other than that, I'm planning to make some boiler bands (assuming I can find a black ballpoint pen) and make some cab handrails, and I might also apply my usual coat of diluted PVA to protect the lining that's been applied. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, richard i said:

Are you sure it was black? It was a Gordon trait to have it red oxide. So noticeable when the tank had overhauled a non gcr design. 
richard 

I was told by the modelling steward of the GCRS, so I'd imagine it should be black.  I'm just having a look through John Quick's GCR liveries book at the moment and it would appear that red oxide tank tops weren't universal; the bogie pom-poms had black tank tops, as did the green Sir Sams and the Lord Faringdons.  Some of the surviving paint schedules quoted in the book state two coats of lead oxide with a top coat of black. Interestingly there's also a discrepancy in that some classes had their tender fronts painted black and other crimson. I think most tellingly is a statement on page 27, "the tender top was black and this included the coal rails if they were fitted".

So, the question is, was the red oxide finish officially sanctioned or just something the Tank did that was tolerated?  And, was it universal or only applied to certain classes?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, James Harrison said:

I was told by the modelling steward of the GCRS, so I'd imagine it should be black.  I'm just having a look through John Quick's GCR liveries book at the moment and it would appear that red oxide tank tops weren't universal; the bogie pom-poms had black tank tops, as did the green Sir Sams and the Lord Faringdons.  Some of the surviving paint schedules quoted in the book state two coats of lead oxide with a top coat of black. Interestingly there's also a discrepancy in that some classes had their tender fronts painted black and other crimson. I think most tellingly is a statement on page 27, "the tender top was black and this included the coal rails if they were fitted".

So, the question is, was the red oxide finish officially sanctioned or just something the Tank did that was tolerated?  And, was it universal or only applied to certain classes?

Interesting. I have seen plenty to suggest they did it, perhaps to save money, or an acceptance that it was going to get very  dirty so original colour did not matter. Perhaps express locos in the public gaze and kept clean warranted back paint as an extra layer. That said I have seen Atlantic’s with red oxide backs painted as models by a knowledgeable source. 
I guess we will never know for certain. 
richard

• Like 1