Fish engine; progress report of sorts. 

I've fixed the front bogie, which had two bits of whitemetal come adrift.  I've removed my original lining to the cab and the tender.  I've smoothed down the firebox sides (this was a kit that could be built as either the GC original or the LNER B5/3 with raised boiler, this being achieved by casting the firebox and smokebox saddle for the raised boiler variant with instructions to cut down for the GC type.  Needless to say when I bought it it had been built with GCR boiler fittings on the increased pitch of boiler.....) 

I've then started to repaint- it looks as as though the tender paint and the Great Central insignia can be saved- which so far as the tender is concerned just leaves the lining.  Of which I've done the red, but started the white and then the (fairly new) paint pen packed up.  So I've had to order a new white paint pen.  Meanwhile I can of course be getting on with the loco and the boiler bands, and the red lining to the cab sheets and the brass beading to the splashers....

• Like 5

I've further developed Regularity's sketch for the station throat from February; not feeling confident enough to take a hacksaw to switch and crossing work I instead played with the idea of the track centres 'are what they are' in station confines and then reduce to 50mm centres on the mainline.  By coincidence or serendipity this neatly allows for the insertion of a centre road.  I'm in two minds at present whether to make this just a carriage siding or to add more pointwork at the platform ends for a loco release road. 

49844449648_f7a05015c3_c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

That's right, looking on the right hand side top to bottom we have a slip leading to platform, platform road, centre road,platform road, then a final platform road. Coming to mid-scene top to bottom we have running line, crossover, running line and goods yard/ loco depot lead.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, James Harrison said:

.......  I'm in two minds at present whether to make this just a carriage siding or to add more pointwork at the platform ends for a loco release road. 

Both Lanark and Brechin (to name but two CR termini) had the centre road as a loco release road with a tandem turnout at the buffer end, controlled by a ground frame .

Brechin:

https://digitool.abdn.ac.uk/view/action/singleViewer.do?dvs=1588429303162~11&locale=en_GB&VIEWER_URL=/view/action/singleViewer.do?&DELIVERY_RULE_ID=10&search_terms=brechin station&adjacency=N&application=DIGITOOL-3&frameId=1&usePid1=true&usePid2=true

image.png.fabbf47e6a36ed269eec054dd58425f5.png

And Lanark:

image.png.87754bbf93bacff86c4409fefd7f122e.png

Jim

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

The difficulty is that much as I'd like a loco release road, it would add an extra foot or so to the length (for the pointwork on the platform roads) and limit me to shorter trains.  I'm reckoning on four carriages plus loco plus van for my mainline rakes and that would be have to be reduced to three carriages plus loco plus van.  Plus I'd then need to find somewhere for a carriage siding or two. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

A pilot engine is I think my preferred solution; I have enough small locos (0-6-2 tanks or superannuated 0-6-0 or 4-4-0 tender engines) that could fulfil the role. 

49847376937_ba1d35a757_c.jpg

49847376922_159158922f_c.jpg

49847376847_4da4beedaa_c.jpg

I seem to be between projects this evening.  The planned next project is one of my pair of Imminghams.  I know where one of them is, which needs both a repaint and chassis work, the other (which only needs a repaint) seems to have gone into hiding. 

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 weeks later...

Work on redecorating the sitting room is nearly finished and I've yet to get a handle on how I want the next room in the house to look, which means that it's probably time to hunt up the next locomotive for the works.  I've managed to find the Jersey Lily and Immingham that had gone into hiding, of those two I think the Immingham should be the next to be looked at.  Let's concentrate on freight and mixed traffic stock this year, eh?

• Like 4

49917236891_fe103b533a_c.jpg

This, incidentally, is what has been eating my spare time of late.  I insist that my pre-grouping layout should reside in a pre-grouping house.  This place was built pre-1911 (going by census returns) and I've nearly got the first room (of six) to my desired pre-WWI Gentleman's Club look.  

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

27 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Didn't know that pre-WWI Gentleman's Clubs had TVs! :unsure:

Jim

I need something to unwind in the evening (as I don't have an aerial in there it only plays DVDs- maybe I should have a projector in a magic lantern case?) 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, James Harrison said:

I need something to unwind in the evening (as I don't have an aerial in there it only plays DVDs- maybe I should have a projector in a magic lantern case?) 

No a miniature puppet theatre or shadow puppet show. 
contort your hands to make the shape of an 11d with safety valves bubbling and fireman loading a last round of coal on the fire just before the off. 
richard 

• Funny 3

I must confess, I have abandoned TV entirely in favour of on-demand streaming, Beeb, All4, Amazon and Netflix etc.  Radio avidly consumed via BBC Sounds. Life has been transformed by a Giga Cube.

Now, what a splendid room, Sir! Perfect for the Discerning Gentleman.  Great choice of Edwardian art ...

670438089_WotW190601.jpg.650ed2b23ee0f80cf905202decabd69f.jpg

• Like 3

Progress of sorts.  Having dug out one of my Imminghams, I'm partway through repainting it in GCR black. 

I'm also considering building a parcels train, which gives me opportunity or excuse to run NPCS from other companies.  The currently-planned consist is a couple of GCR bogie fish vans (from the accident report of Aylesbury [or was it Amersham?] in 1904 the parcels train involved had three or four of these in its makeup), GCR 40' bogie newspaper brakevan, GCR CCT, GWR Python CCT, GWR K14 Dean parcels brakevan and GNR parcels brake. 

Bogie fish vans- I've got a scratchbuilt one donated to me a few years ago (for which I remain very grateful) and I've hackbashed one from a GWR siphon (and I have another siphon waiting it's turn for the same procedure). 

GCR newspaper brake - Brassmasters etches

GCR CCT- Isinglass 3D printed kit, not sure if this is still available?

GWR Python CCT- Parkside kit

GWR K14 parcels brakevan- Ks kit

GNR parcels brake- Isinglass 3D printed kit. 

Actually, I've probably got enough for 2 parcels trains there, considering my 5-bogie-carriages limit. 

• Like 2

On 02/05/2020 at 18:56, James Harrison said:

The difficulty is that much as I'd like a loco release road, it would add an extra foot or so to the length (for the pointwork on the platform roads) and limit me to shorter trains.  I'm reckoning on four carriages plus loco plus van for my mainline rakes and that would be have to be reduced to three carriages plus loco plus van.  Plus I'd then need to find somewhere for a carriage siding or two. 

I would suggest that not having a loco release road gives you an excellent excuse for deploying a pilot, while the central road can be a very useful storage road for parcels vans, strengtheners, and the like. 

Personally - this is my quirky nature - I would have an arrival and a departure side, shunt stock between the two as required, and thereby greatly simplify the approach trackwork. Pre-group railways quite often arranged matters like this. If you are going to have a standing pilot you might as well make sure there's plenty for it to do.

Having said all that, at Manchester London Road - a very cramped and busy location on the GC side - the GC and its successors were not above working empty stock in with a pilot engine up front and the train engine at the back, ready to go. They weren't above "stacking" local trains at the platforms either, but you won't have space for that I shouldn't think. That was a good example, BTW, of a terminus that in its original form had central roads used principally for storing stock. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

6 minutes ago, Poggy1165 said:

I would suggest that not having a loco release road gives you an excellent excuse for deploying a pilot, while the central road can be a very useful storage road for parcels vans, strengtheners, and the like. 

Personally - this is my quirky nature - I would have an arrival and a departure side, shunt stock between the two as required, and thereby greatly simplify the approach trackwork. Pre-group railways quite often arranged matters like this. If you are going to have a standing pilot you might as well make sure there's plenty for it to do.

Having said all that, at Manchester London Road - a very cramped and busy location on the GC side - the GC and its successors were not above working empty stock in with a pilot engine up front and the train engine at the back, ready to go. They weren't above "stacking" local trains at the platforms either, but you won't have space for that I shouldn't think. That was a good example, BTW, of a terminus that in its original form had central roads used principally for storing stock. 

Yes, I'm erring toward employing a pilot loco myself (I think I've enough small 0-6-0 and 4-4-0 tender engines to have a dedicated pilot engine). 

I anticipate operating RLS with separate arrivals and departures platforms, however I'm also in favour of being able to have bi-directional running in the platform roads (one thought of mine being that local trains operate almost like the Jazz service- in, loco change and out again-considering how Rufford is placed to allow local services to Nottingham, Lincoln and Sheffield means things could get quite intense in the morning and evening rush hours). 

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that restoring and redecorating the house is something that's perhaps best done in smaller chunks, not just one room at a time but perhaps limiting it to only a few rooms each year (I say this after launching into it and going what feels like non-stop since late February on various things and now having had two weekends with leaking plumbing situations.  I'm getting tired, worn down and irritable). 

So; once the lower part of the hallway has been sorted out I'll probably set-to to clear up the spare room and finally start work, albeit in a fairly limited sense, on RLS. 

To which end this morning I'm idly looking at the IKEA website at the lower variants of the Billy bookcase- what I want to achieve is something neat that runs around two of the walls of the room, and to my way of looking at things I'm thinking building on top of bookcases might be a good way to start, especially considering the railway room is going to be just that- where I keep my books, prints, railwayana and the layout. 

It's going to be a little while yet but I'm hoping I'll be able to make a start before the end of the year. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, James Harrison said:

To which end this morning I'm idly looking at the IKEA website

Try the Dödjii range of furniture, made from unsustainable illegally harvested Ukrainian forests! 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Try the Dödjii range of furniture, made from unsustainable illegally harvested Ukrainian forests! 

Do you know a man who knows a man who can get you that at a very good price, no questions asked?

Jim :jester: