Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

Ooohh! Goody, looks promising, loads of luck and best wishes with the outcome! Where's the pyramid/s?

I thought they'd all been sold and delivered to Castle Aching, where they are now presumably in the middle of a war zone. :jester:

Well, Mr Northroader, Sir, what this is telling you is that I'm close to notching-up enough DIY-credits to allow planning (if not actuall work quite yet) to remove Broom Cupboard Hill.

And, yes, I should have marked The Metropolitan Pyramid Company's siding as such on the plan. They continue to prosper (well, get by); while battles rage across the plains of West Norfolk, their latest installations remain, thus far, unscathed.

Kevin

post-26817-0-99602100-1488121859_thumb.png

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

This reprobate, captured on film by my Grandfather, may or may not have been involved in the removal of ancient artifacts - viz  pyramids - on behalf the Metropolitan Pyramid Company.

post-14351-0-21440500-1488128433_thumb.jpg

His accomplice may be this man seen with a sizeable chunk, of something that could be pyramid, hidden in this load of vegetation, in close proximity to the railway station. The appropriate goods terminal for this traffic should surely have been the Bricklayers Arms.

post-14351-0-12034000-1488128431_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 6

Well, Chris, what should turn up on the next train in, but a Bakelite van, courtesy of the Leeds Model Company, 1940s vintage.

Considering that the alternatives on the market were tinplate, or wood kits, which took massive skill to get looking good, these were very good models indeed, brake-gear aside.

I think LMC might have been the first to produce mounded plastic model railway vehicles in GB, starting just before WW2.

K

post-26817-0-38291000-1488130102_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-09217700-1488130983_thumb.png

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Well, Chris, what should turn up on the next train in, but a Bakelite van, courtesy of the Leeds Model Company, 1940s vintage.

Considering that the alternatives on the market were tinplate, or wood kits, which took massive skill to get looking good, these were very good models indeed, brake-gear aside.

K

I am sure you know that there is a Bakelite museum. I only know because I watch Salvage Hunters.

• Like 3

I am sure you know that there is a Bakelite museum. I only know because I watch Salvage Hunters.

I used to live a few miles away, but never got round to visiting. Maybe I will one day, as a grockle rather than a local resident!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Alright, then, before we get to Tintin and Poirot, what about Paul Delvaux? Who? Google and go to images, (please do, just make sure there's no one around to say "perving again, eh, grandad?") Artist, who painted trains and nudes, i.e. a proper artist. He has featured on RMweb in the proper place:http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76860-a-discussion-on-railway-art/page-3#ipboard_body

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Alright, then, before we get to Tintin and Poirot, what about Paul Delvaux? Who? Google and go to images, (please do, just make sure there's no one around to say "perving again, eh, grandad?") Artist, who painted trains and nudes, i.e. a proper artist. He has featured on RMweb in the proper place:http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76860-a-discussion-on-railway-art/page-3#ipboard_body

I found great inspiration in Belgian art - this was a birthday card I created, I was going to say knocked up, but realised it had at least one other meaning, for my brother-in-law who had chauffeured us on a trip to Bruges.

post-14351-0-02007600-1488225187_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I bought two of those bakelite LMS corridor coaches from Tydsley & Holbrook on Deansgate, Manchester around 1957. They must have been inexpensive because I only earned a few quid weekends cleaning cars. Within 12 months I was into wine, women & song and goodbye 0 gauge for nearly 60 years.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

How about Leo Tindemanns?  Belgian PM.

I was told that either Gosciny or Udezo, of Asterix fame was Belgian but it is not true I have just found.

Eddie Merckx, 5 time winner of the Tour de France,

and of course his son who was called by the obvious name of a champion on two wheels, Axel Merckx.

Sorry, played this before but the names above are new to me as being Belgian.

• Like 2

Hi Kev, good to see your layout with all that nice track and pointery  but how do you manage to switch them all manually when trains are thundering around?  While I revel in old Hornby track, (nothing younger than me), I do like those that are on your layout which is about the same size as mine. Which brand is it?

Brian,

The track is Maldon, which is effectively a replica of maerklin or Hornby solid rail track from the 1930s, but with NS, rather than steel, rail, and ABS, rather than steel, sleepers. I had bad experience of tinplate track when I was a small boy, which put me off for life!

Phil and Chris

I think it is probably larger than 0 gauge, though.

post-26817-0-50746300-1488228736.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 8
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

My mantelpiece is bigger than yours

- print found in a house in north Somerset passed to my father, who identified the photographer as A.H.Malan. This was confirmed when it and two similar prints were offered to NRM. They forwarded them to The National Archive where the main body of Malan's archive is held.

post-14351-0-39467900-1488235748_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 8