Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

Rob Horton isn't trading? That's quite a bit of news! Well, to me anyway. I've got some gold repro Hornby lining panel transfers, and they can be cut and shut to suit rectangular panels, think they were for GWR No1 special locos and tenders, so they will be gold/black/gold. Any use?

• RMweb Premium

And what are you doing for the rest of the year? It all sounds good clean fun, anyway. Getting the GWR into Paltry Circus reminds me of a court case, defending lawyer for man involved in “incident” on the Circle Line asked policeman “in what direction was the train going?” Policeman says “ooh, just round and round”.

Edited by Northroader

• RMweb Premium

.......... The criticism always levelled at the real thing is that it wastes potential adhesive weight, but nobody seems to say the same about 4-4-0 tender engines, which are the same thing only longer.

Oh no they aren't. The 4-4-0 - going forward - has the advantage of weight transfer onto the trailing coupled wheels, whilw on the $-$-$ the railing truck gets the better adhesion on starting!

Talk tomorrow - assuming you are available early / mid a.m.

Regards

Chris H

Or, ‘Towards King’s Cross’?

Strictly among train-spotters, it should be remembered that the Circle Lines are ‘Inner’ and ‘Outer’, in deference to their directionless nature.

CH - fair point, although something must depend upon the setting-up of the weight distribution. From what I can glean, a 4-4-4T had about half of its weight on the drivers, and a quarter on each of the two trucks, in the static condition.

Edited by Nearholmer

Well ...... near-complete-impausibility is something I try to aim for, so maybe the GWR operates some suburban services into Paltry Circus by way of the oft-planned, but never built, railway that was intended to take over the course of the Regent's Canal ( see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regent%27s_Canal#Railway_projects),and the Lea-Bridge to Paltry line, which, as we all know, is how trains from the GER and Midland (using the Tottenham & Hampstead Joint) get there.

I'm always impressed by the amount of thought and contortions you often see in the development of layout back stories; - that had there been a joint GW/LSWR line to (insert implausible place name here), then if the extension mentioned in the 1885 act had been constructed - then there could have been justification for locos of (insert company name) on a (more implausible operating rights as possible working (e.g Caleondian running into Plymouth) via the reverse connection at Wolverhampton Low Level, up to closure in August 1957 - and here's my model of it.

(I think my layout back story would probably have more to do with middle-age, recreating a flavour of lost youth and the easement in domestic cirumstances though. :^) )

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

..... near-complete-impausibility is something I try to aim for...

Excellent. I must remember that next time for someone starts nit-picking over some detail.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news; bad news; good news.

One of the condensed milk vans is coming together, and I’ve cut all the footboards for both.

Work it out for yourself. How the b heck I did this, I don’t know, and it was only as I pointed a paint brush at it that I realised.

I do have a spare set of parts, so can assemble another one. And, I managed to get a kit for the brake van that I was going to create from the spare. Mind you, it is a rare old kit, white metal and plywood, with the castings needing vast amounts of fettling, so it will be a slow old job.

post-26817-0-16420000-1548432044_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-01770500-1548432068_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-67098100-1548432087_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Long story there!

We ended up getting a NZ-designed one, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfree_Trampoline which is the safest on the market, because I regard them as accidents waiting to happen.

My fervent hope is that offsprings(!) will loose interest in it, but there is absolutely no sign of that happening.

My two boys still use the increasingly decrepit one in our garden, and they are now 26 and 31 respectively.. I just avert my gaze...

• RMweb Premium

And anyway, they’re allowed to point up-over:

post-26540-0-74029200-1548437102_thumb.jpeg

Oh! Maybe it’s the other one you mean. That glue must be super duper stuff if they don’t come away if treated with a little kindness, have you kept old of an old tin of prewar LPTB boiled down horse glue? Mmmmm, wheels, pm on the way, I think.

Second edit, me, I’m thick, it’s the two sides of the same van, innit?

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good news; bad news; good news.

One of the condensed milk vans is coming together, and I’ve cut all the footboards for both.

Work it out for yourself. How the b heck I did this, I don’t know, and it was only as I pointed a paint brush at it that I realised.

I do have a spare set of parts, so can assemble another one. And, I managed to get a kit for the brake van that I was going to create from the spare. Mind you, it is a rare old kit, white metal and plywood, with the castings needing vast amounts of fettling, so it will be a slow old job.

Surely you only have to look at the one - correct - side when it is running on your layout?

Regards

Chris H

But, i’ll know, won’t I.

GRAS - fast action when I saw an untouched kit pop-up on eBay at an acceptable BIN price. The maker has some kits, rather a random selection, left, but generally only trades through a couple of shows now, and isn’t, I think, producing any/many castings, and doesn’t do any form of e-communication.

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

Did you get the ABS kit directly from ABS Models? And are they still in business? Or did you manage to find some old stock somewhere?

Gordon

ABS kit? You must mean my post? It’s O gauge, mind, it came from the Broad Gauge Society, about the only standard gauge body they do, and they could have run stocks down by now.http://www.broadgauge.org.uk/modelling/bgs_parts_prices_7mm.html

(Still in the catalogue, about half way through, item s450.)

Another edit, I’m playing a blinder tonight, ABS isn’t an abbreviation for resin, is it?

Edited by Northroader

It means Acrylo-Butyl-Styrene, I think, which is what good-quality plumbing waste pipes are made from.

Or, in this context, its the initials of the chap who makes rolling stock kits.

EDIT: actually, I got the name of the plastic slightly wrong, here it is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylonitrile_butadiene_styrene

Edited by Nearholmer

Brian,

I always like your Hornby milk trains.

The GWR had a special design of 4W brake van for milk trains, as per this preserved example https://www.svrwiki.com/GWR_1399_Milk_Brake , so your train isn't far wrong at all.

I don't know much about GWR things, but I think that there were only three or four of these particular 4W brakes milk train brakes.

Kevin

Thanks for the info on the pass brake, Kevin.  I have made a point of picking up cheaper tankers whenever they appear so long as the decals are in good shape, otherwise they seem to command exorbitant prices. 

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

I dont think there is anything wrong with the sides, its the ends that are upside down. Seriously would it be possible to slice the rounded bit off the top of the ends and glue it back onto the bottoms ?

Don