Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

Somewhere out there, there is a most excellent model of 10800 in 7mm scale made by the late Frank Roomes. He also made one of the LMS Armstrong Whitworth long wheelbase LMS diesel shunters. I'd love to know where they are now, as, although I don't do 7mm, I'd love to see them (or even own one of them!).

Andy G

• Like 1

4 hours ago, uax6 said:

Somewhere out there, there is a most excellent model of 10800 in 7mm scale made by the late Frank Roomes. I'd love to know where they are now, as, although I don't do 7mm, I'd love to see them

Andy G

You mean this one  ?   Funny I just posted a few photos of Frank's O scale railway in Cyprus from the Model Railway News Oct 1964 on my blog yesterday,  

life coincidences !     As you said,  I'd love to know just where these models are today,  hope they've been saved and a good home.       Felix

3.png

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

They are pretty special, although I think the OB-BO is off the road.

There is a kit available for 10800, but I was warned-off by people who’ve had real trouble with the way that the kit-designer envisages curves being formed.

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, boxerbayrailway said:

You mean this one  ?   Funny I just posted a few photos of Frank's O scale railway in Cyprus from the Model Railway News Oct 1964 on my blog yesterday,  

life coincidences !     As you said,  I'd love to know just where these models are today,  hope they've been saved and a good home.       Felix

3.png

That's the badger! It was a joy to run as it was both quiet and immensely powerful!

I'm sure that it must survive somewhere, but where?

Andy G 

Edit:

As Dad has one of Franks Midland Halfcabs in a display case at home, I must see if I can find the 1953 volumes of his 4mm layout....

Edited by uax6
  • Like 1

Andbnow, a random photograph of a ballast hopper.

Made and marketed by Bernard Ridgeley,  twenty or thirty years ago, being a free interpretation of the real SR ones. Good photo of an ex-SR one here https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/srwalrus

This might tempt readers to display their own coarse-scale ballet hoppers; who knows?

BEFDA2EB-8FB0-4719-84D2-AA56A9F7603B.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 10

Actually, thinking about it, here are some more from my cupboard.

French Hornby postwar, actually closer to the LSWR/SR design.

WJV/Raylo/ETS recent, very close to an SECR/SR design, but I could only get it in LMS livery.

Hornby, very long-produced body, in this case in 1950s No.50 series guise.

30430213-1C3E-4287-9036-83D4BAD1CF77.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Do you mean these two?P1080356.JPG.5f37a4100adc590609c5651327c6e74d.JPG

The hopper wagon models are circa 1980s by the Swiss "Hand-arbiet" builder "Stauffer".

P1080354.JPG.b4267b6f53fdafafcdfd0f1c9e9175bd.JPG

Possibly a bit foreign and modern for this "Old-fashioned" topic, but the HAG SBB-CFF Re4/4 loco dates from circa 1948 and still runs like a Swiss watch. The "Sputnik" brake was new last year from the Czech firm ETS - so we have a progessively younger train.

Please ignore the Gresley teaks and the GWR Auto-coach in the background, they are part of the broader collection.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Chris - I need to remark on what lovely neat baseboard tops and edging you have. The minimalist approach works very well with the lack of scenery in that shot.

Martin,

Many thanks for the kind comments, but what you see is a stalled layout build - for various reasons that I wont expand on. If I had got further with the layout build you would be seeing a mottled Dark Grey "Cushion- floor" underlay on top of the board - to reduce noise waking the neighbours and my family members when trains run late at night (I wish!!!).

Also, the ply top looked awful when first treated to a coat of grey primer / undercoat (same as used by Nearholmer) - I had used DIY shed ply which is a mistake I wont make again! Now I would buy "Hardwood throughout" ply, if possible, or good Birch ply - the higher price is worh paying.

The baseboard framing has been treated to a couple of coats of Satin varnish - to give a good "Wipe clean" finish.

There will be buildings etc - eventually - to represent an urban railway scene - think Metropolitan Railway "Widened Lines" but crammed into the equivalent of a 00 gauge 6x4 space with tight curves - "Grown-up Hornby Dublo" - all good fun.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/07/2019 at 21:09, brianusa said:

Never was a fan of ballast.  Messy and difficult when a piece of track, particularly points had to be replaced.  Left it off the current toy train layout.

Brian.

Do what Budget Model Railways suggests. Roofing felt is amazing for it. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Only slightly connected with old-fashioned toy trains, but i’m doing a bit of cycling this week, and got held at a signal for some time yesterday.

E57C14E9-1B08-493D-9169-BA9C00F75B53.jpeg

I think you'll sit there waiting for the bobby to pull that off for a very long time........

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Well, today was simpler, less hanging about.

This ersatz GWR signal, deep in LBSCR territory was provided with a push button, which not only cleared the signal, but caused a uniformed mannequin to wave a flag, and set-off a recording of a train pulling away.

And, this guy has possibly the only garden shed in the world that is a 1/3 scale replica of a S&F signal box.

DF5BDD71-12F7-48D3-B766-9CD77BAD22FD.jpeg

35BD29F9-8761-4BF3-B242-C30A6F63BC2B.jpeg

• Like 11