Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

The words come from the opening post by Edwardian but the picture I am seeing looks very much like the legs of my portable 0 gauge layout and does not appear on the first page of the CA thread. Can anyone explain?

Don

post-8525-126968182666_thumb.jpg

Edited by Donw
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Donw said:

The words come from the opening post by Edwardian but the picture I am seeing looks very much like the legs of my portable 0 gauge layout and does not appear on the first page of the CA thread. Can anyone explain?

Don

Ooh, interesting, the vagaries of t'internet. Try putting in a link to your layout thread and see what picture comes up...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Donw said:

Don

post-8525-126968182666_thumb.jpg

Spooky!

And there was me thinking that the Mystery Photograph showed a gathering of Norfolk Stilt Dancers.

BTW, wasn't there some trade in the wetter parts of Norfolk that actually used stilts ........ gathering thatching reed, or something like that? Or, did I make that up? 

I do know that hop-stringers in Kent used to use stilts.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Donw said:

I think the local builders merchant had some plasterers stilts for sale. It is hard enough plastering without trying to do it on stilts.

Don

Not half! Total respect for this chap who made it look so easy...

IMG_1126.JPG.c4e79fc5ed7db3ad76a7126e598a7be0.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Where do you find 'em !?  You are going to get my thread locked.

I'm guessing that probably isn't a bona-fide Lionel advert, but its so like one that surely it must be by one of their commercial artists. 

I will refrain from indulging in lewd signal-post related banter, and concentrate instead on the one significant deficiency in the drawing, which shows that the artist really wasn't doing his job properly: he has omitted the conductor rails from the track.

The German film is wonderful, although I did suffer mild motion-sickness while watching some of it.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

35 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I'm guessing that probably isn't a bona-fide Lionel advert, but its so like one that surely it must be by one of their commercial artists. 

I will refrain from indulging in lewd signal-post related banter, and concentrate instead on the one significant deficiency in the drawing, which shows that the artist really wasn't doing his job properly: he has omitted the conductor rails from the track.

This is not a drawing of a Lionel train but an American Flyer S gauge train, which of course does not have a third rail. The signal tower and platform are typical Flyer (of course it is not easy to concentrate on the accessories ;)).

Regards

Fred

Edited by sncf231e
  • Informative/Useful 3

8 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

The German film is wonderful, although I did suffer mild motion-sickness while watching some of it.

Yea,  too bad the quality of the filming didn't match the quality of the trains !    Although I'm building a "scale" railway I've often been tempted by the coarse scale offerings from ETS / ACE / WJ + etc..  + vintage pieces.  I keep saying to myself maybe just 1 wagon,  or 1 train,  but I know what will follow :D 

Felix

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Where did you have one then Don?

Mine was a simple Hornby set not American flyer. As for the lady - not really a subject for this thread and I have no doubt others would have more lurid tales to tell than me.

Don

• Friendly/supportive 1

I was thinking of posting a "wholesome" image showing a woman and toy trains, as a counterpoint to yesterdays excitement, but what that made me realise is that women are entirely absent from old-fashioned toy/model train advertising, and that extends to the entire Meccano Magazine, contemporary hobby magazines etc. etc. ............ its not that they are portrayed in what might now be seen as gender-stereotypical roles, they just aren't there at all, pretty much until HMQ is portrayed on the cover of every magazine for the coronation.

I'm sure I have seen an old image showing "Mr and Mrs" seated in armchairs either side of a fireplace, while The Boy plays trains on the floor, but I can't find it, so you'll just have to imagine it for now.

• Friendly/supportive 1