Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

I still think current health policy would be most effectively communicated by a poster exhorting us to "Stay at Home and Die Alone!"

... but that might be a tad bleak........

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I still think current health policy would be most effectively communicated by a poster exhorting us to "Stay and Home and Die Alone!"

... but that might be a tad bleak........

Nice to see your distancing policy!

9 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

As for trying to achieve social-distancing between teenagers, especially teenagers of opposite genders, it simply isn't going to happen, is it?

Its well known that the young see mortality as not applying to themselves.

As one gets older, the sound of HIM sharpening his scythe becomes more apparent...

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Standby to see parents all over the country forging HGV licenses, so that they can enrol as key-workers in food distribution

Takes rather more than a dodgy bit of paper these days - they'd need a Digital Tachograph Card, and an on-line record of CPC Training with the DVLA.... :rolleyes:

At least now the Great Unwashed motoring public might actually realise WHY there are so many trucks on the road, these days, and accord them & their drivers a bit more respect... :shout: :mad:

Sorry, rant over. 

I'm also rather glad I'm off the road, these days!! 

Edit - "Play Trains & Carry On" - I like that!! :yes: :good:

Edited by F-UnitMad

53 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Its well known that the young see mortality as not applying to themselves.

As one gets older, the sound of HIM sharpening his scythe becomes more apparent...

min the case of this disease, he even publishes age vs mortality graphs that have a distinctively scythe-shaped curve.

C16D9169-37FF-4175-B1C8-E3E2CD7E25EB.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

Takes rather more than a dodgy bit of paper these days - they'd need a Digital Tachograph Card, and an on-line record of CPC Training with the DVLA.... :rolleyes:

At least now the Great Unwashed motoring public might actually realise WHY there are so many trucks on the road, these days, and accord them & their drivers a bit more respect... :shout: :mad:

Sorry, rant over. 

I'm also rather glad I'm off the road, these days!! 

Edit - "Play Trains & Carry On" - I like that!! :yes: :good:

Depends what “dodgy piece of paper” you are talking about. You clearly haven’t seen some of the documentation presented by drivers, and others recruited through multiple layers of contractors, sub-contractors and labour agencies...

Yes, I think there WILL be a widening of the public’s perception of the sheer volume of lorry traffic on our roads. Whether they regard it with heightened respect, remains to be seen. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Leaving aside all the doomy stuff, just for a moment, proper spring has crept-up on is this week.

5DE016D8-E9C3-41DA-A527-22EA9204E987.jpeg.2cddb6c2d73defe788ccb8c38d2e9814.jpeg

Bit difficult to date exactly, because dull weather makes the flowers come out slowly, rather than in a burst, but I think I will declare yesterday, 18th March, which is three days earlier than in 2019, and thirty three days earlier than in 2018.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, uax6 said:

I would concur, the air-rats started to do their ritual catenary wire mating flapping/fighting dance thingy here yesterday.....

Andy G

Are they the same as sh1tehawks?

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, uax6 said:

If they are the multi-coloured grey things that sh*t on your motor, then yes!

Andy G

They must be something else. i was thinking of the white ones at the seaside that nick your sandwiches.

• RMweb Gold

I have recently found out that they can mate all year round, which is why at any time of the year you see the cock birds harassing the hens.  Mind you, I have only seen the hens respond in the summer.  More importantly, when will the frog spawn arrive?

3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Leaving aside all the doomy stuff, just for a moment, proper spring has crept-up on is this week.

5DE016D8-E9C3-41DA-A527-22EA9204E987.jpeg.2cddb6c2d73defe788ccb8c38d2e9814.jpeg

Bit difficult to date exactly, because dull weather makes the flowers come out slowly, rather than in a burst, but I think I will declare yesterday, 18th March, which is three days earlier than in 2019, and thirty three days earlier than in 2018.

Pretty!

Here, the magnolias came into bud towards the end of February. The ones at the bottom of the hill have blossomed, the ones at the top of the hill are still tightly furled.  Its always the same, year after year!

I’ve come to use the plum tree as my spring-o-meter.

Normally, I would expect that, the moment it blossoms, I would don inappropriately tight clothing and start pedalling in earnest, rather than pottering over short distances, but that doesn’t look much of a goer at the moment.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I like the engine. Playing trains is relaxing. 

The other day Marion saw a female blackbird going off with a beak full of food. If it was for chicks that is pretty early. Things do seem to be growing buds breaking etc. I think it is the bl00dy wind and the damp that is making things feel so cold. Underlying temperatures are much warmer.

As for the kids I suppose 8 groups of three or four kids would result in less transmission than one group of 30 if the groups stay much the same.and maybe if playing outside it would be better than inside ( not if they are playing kisschase though).

KBO

Don

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I’ve come to use the plum tree as my spring-o-meter.

Normally, I would expect that, the moment it blossoms, I would don inappropriately tight clothing and start pedalling in earnest, rather than pottering over short distances, but that doesn’t look much of a goer at the moment.

I reckon it’s Easter, more or less, when the cherry blossom appears on the tree in the front garden

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I reckon it’s Easter, more or less, when the cherry blossom appears on the tree in the front garden

I dont find Easter a useful marker as it has this habit of moving about Easter in March is different to Easter in late April

Don

• Agree 1

That’s because you don’t understand how it is defined. https://www.almanac.com/content/when-is-easter

I went to a Church school, and my late mother’s family were quite High Church, so I grew up with the Ecclesiastical Calendar, and I still reckon the year by its fluctuations. Actually Easter makes more sense as a Movable Feast, because unlike Christmas (which is really a mid-winter marker; Twelfth Night and Plough Monday are more important, in the agricultural year) it signifies a turning in the weather. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

That’s because you don’t understand how it is defined. https://www.almanac.com/content/when-is-easter

I went to a Church school, and my late mother’s family were quite High Church, so I grew up with the Ecclesiastical Calendar, and I still reckon the year by its fluctuations. Actually Easter makes more sense as a Movable Feast, because unlike Christmas (which is really a mid-winter marker; Twelfth Night and Plough Monday are more important, in the agricultural year) it signifies a turning in the weather. 

I do understand the movement of Easter please explain how the Cherry Tree does.:scratchhead:

Don

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1