Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

On 21/06/2020 at 00:11, uax6 said:

Back to magazine boots... According to wiki, magazine boots for army use are Boots, General Service but with a rubber heel and rubber crepe sole and no steel reinforcements so sparks cannot be generated..

Andy G

I’ve occasionally worked on tunnel or drilling sites where explosives were used, the magazines usually contain a pair of rubber galoshes, like crocs. The essential point is the avoidance of sparks, including static build-up. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Track-laying on the small rural essay is making slow progress - partly a case of finding time, but partly because I’ve learned to go very carefully about track-laying.

Here you can see the new apprentice (as if I don’t have enough already!), who has an innocent look, but is actually a mad tearaway. Youngest, increasingly abetted by my good lady, has been campaigning to get a new dog for about eighteen months ........ this one is a bit different from our previous ones!

2E2FD457-AE88-4FB8-A7AF-C77433273D35.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Track-laying on the small rural essay is making slow progress - partly a case of finding time, but partly because I’ve learned to go very carefully about track-laying.

Here you can see the new apprentice (as if I don’t have enough already!), who has an innocent look, but is actually a mad tearaway. Youngest, increasingly abetted by my good lady, has been campaigning to get a new dog for about eighteen months ........ this one is a bit different from our previous ones!

Marion would definitely give that one a good home. We are down to one dog at the moment and she would lie another but we think our current dog is quite happy be the only one.

Hope you and yours are all well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 12/07/2020 at 23:05, Nearholmer said:

I’m impressed that you’ve already taught him to ski...

Edited by Simond
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, GRASinBothell said:

Does the new apprentice have a name?

You'll have to be careful with the new branch line. Your apprentice may mistake the branch for a stick...

Gordon

1420502815_branchmanager.jpg.ce872d29c7b9b4dc1dc13fb32d5e4edd.jpg

• Like 4
  • Funny 5

It's a nice name - short, easy to say, and, most importantly, not embarrassing when you're calling her to come in from the garden.

Dog naming can be a strange process. My daughter christened her first dog Lord Adonis Skywalker the Third. He was always known as Walker, and I took him for many walks in the park, so my Ace station has nameboards for "Walkers Park"!

Gordon

• Like 3

I knew a very delightful, prim & proper lady many years back

Pillar of the WI, a rude word would never pass her lips, Etc

never did find out why she had a dog called “B****r”

atb

Simon

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

When Mrs Compound was working in Poland, she didn't at first understand why all Polish dogs were called Hodge, which is a cat's name (vide Doctor Johnson). After a while she realised what she was hearing was "Chodź!" - Polish for "Come!".

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

This thread has nothing to do with dogs; it’s about toy trains.

132EED39-29DF-4510-9B0B-AC1734E024C2.jpeg

Yeah, I see what you did there... ;) very droll. :mosking:

As far as I knew, most dogs think their name is "NO, BAD DOG..!!!", don't they? :whistle:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

As far as I knew, most dogs think their name is "NO, BAD DOG..!!!", don't they? :whistle:

They all respond to "Oi!".

15 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

This thread has nothing to do with dogs; it’s about toy trains.

132EED39-29DF-4510-9B0B-AC1734E024C2.jpeg

I've never understood why they left the drop links off these, all mine have replacement couplings of the same pattern with drop links....

Mark

WP_20200715_13_17_19_Pro.jpg

• Like 6

And, this years Best of Breed goes to .......

Back on track, I’ve almost finished laying the track on the little rural thing.

D3687DA8-286F-4045-AD59-21A0B28B2FFD.jpeg.84a107f87f96e69669cecc5dab627d05.jpeg

The “ballast” I’m really pleased with. It is “Stone” paint from a rattle can and I stole the idea from someone either on RMWeb or Classic 0 forum, but I can’t remember who. Very Hornby Dunlop, isn’t it?

81629F29-89D7-421A-872D-E991F3B4EFFC.jpeg.43e93143b930d48b5bd6533bb417175d.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

9 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

The “ballast” I’m really pleased with. It is “Stone” paint from a rattle can and I stole the idea from someone either on RMWeb or Classic 0 forum, but I can’t remember who. Very Hornby Dunlop, isn’t it?

The credit should go to PaulRhB on the Billerbahn Oe tinplate thread.

It also gives a quick and easy textured finish to stone walls.

IMG_0200.JPG.0206337a6923647630f610202a3eaaf9.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Returning to the dog theme (this IS a dog forum, right???), and having mentioned Walker, and the station I've named after him, I thought I'd add a photo of the running-in board, with Mr and Mrs Mountbatten-Windsor waiting for a train (along with a strangely-young Mr Churchill).

43566900_SmallDSCN0213.JPG.5fce6653ee686bcb703fd67ef7135fd7.JPG

The 3 dogs are from an Arttista pack (called Junk Yard dogs), containing a German Shepherd (Alsation for those on the other side of the Pond), a Rottweiler, and a Doberman - appropriate since Walker was a Doberman. Of course, the Mountbatten-Windsors should really be surrounded by Corgis, but I haven't been able to find a 1/43 scale one of those!

In the background, King Arthur class no 30456 Sir Galahad brings The Cunarder into the station.

Gordon

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, GRASinBothell said:

surrounded by Corgis, but I haven't been able to find a 1/43 scale one of those!

I thought most Corgi Toys were 7mm scale or thereabouts...

• Funny 1