Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

I have to plead guilty to launching Nearholmer on the acquisition of those Harry Potter figures. They are a range called Nano Metalfigs. Over here, you can find them in Walmart (or could before lockdown - not having ventured out there, I couldn't say now!).

One of the negatives with them is that they come on rather large bases, rather the size and shape of surfboards.

There is an upside to that, of course, if like me you have a small beach scene on the layout.

Sorry about the lack of focus - the camera insists on focussing on the girl in the middle distance...

Gordon

479320988_SmallDSCN0216.JPG.93b54d380f8d533dd447704217ab6234.JPG

• Like 4
  • Funny 5

If of use or interest, I’ve noticed quite a bit of 3-rail stock for sale in “brocante” fairs in Brittany.  I have no idea if the prices are reasonable or otherwise.  There was a loco, I think a 2-4-2 electric prototype, for €150, European style coaches, & some rather rusty track.

atb

Simon

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Simond said:

If of use or interest, I’ve noticed quite a bit of 3-rail stock for sale in “brocante” fairs in Brittany.  I have no idea if the prices are reasonable or otherwise.  There was a loco, I think a 2-4-2 electric prototype, for €150, European style coaches, & some rather rusty track.

atb

Simon

Probably worth a fortune!:D

Brian.

• Funny 1

The one to look out for on the market stalls is the JEP Flèche D’Or set with the full-sized 4-6-2 loco, coach and baggage container wagon. 

If you see it, pay €50, and I’ll give you €100 for it.

Some hope, given that it is the ‘must have’ for French tinplate collectors and in good condition might exceed ten times the above!

EF3F6E91-AC95-442F-A5D7-078103267169.jpeg

10 hours ago, brianusa said:

Probably worth a fortune!:D

Brian.

Brian,

I’m not so sure.  The brocante fairs seem to be organised by a group of individual stall holders, nearly all of whom are present at each fair, so they are professional and knowledgeable, I guess.  

My impression is that it is rather ironic - people go because they think they’ll get a bargain and spend more than new stuff is worth!  There is a lot of tat.  There’s also quite a bit of unusual, or difficult-to-find bric-a-brac.

What I guess the sellers won’t know is what stuff might be worth abroad, so a UK modeller might be able get a bargain.  Not my thing, as you know, but if anyone were travelling, it might be worth looking out for.

atb

Simon

• Like 1

I’ve seen some very good Secondhand railway books at outdoor book sales in France, proper history books, not albums filled with iffily reproduced photos, but they have always been priced ‘knowledgably’, no outright bargains. Likewise interesting old postcards, which are, of course, a very big thing in France.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

The one to look out for on the market stalls is the JEP Flèche D’Or set with the full-sized 4-6-2 loco, coach and baggage container wagon. 

If you see it, pay €50, and I’ll give you €100 for it.

Some hope, given that it is the ‘must have’ for French tinplate collectors and in good condition might exceed ten times the above!

EF3F6E91-AC95-442F-A5D7-078103267169.jpeg

Why only the full sized 4-6-2, the 4-6-0 and 4-4-0 are also very interesting (and maybe you would also give €100 for these ^_^; I did).

Regards

Fred

• Like 6

They are indeed interesting, and I enjoyed your film before, but the pacific version is special - it straddles the border between toy and model In a way that appeals very strongly to me.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

A dealer in France seems to be eBaying a split set of the JdeP Flèche D’Or currently .... very tempting, but not exactly free with a packet of cornflakes.

Anyway, doglette and I spent an hour shunting, in an effort to take our minds off the heat, the flies, and those dammed eternal drums (95%Rh this morning at 0700 when I went out cycling; 32 degrees this afternoon; never has a thunderstorm been more needed).

D160DD32-C8F6-4FED-A9E6-66434107BA62.jpeg.62fce0443741212fc18ab3dea40c6aee.jpegC88F4219-0436-43A2-B515-194A0266806E.jpeg.88221c8568086f50e561011acffcc90b.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Funny 2

On the walk to primary school, I used to pass a shop that had the full set of these as Spratt’s ‘shaped animal’ signs on a railing outside, dog, budgie, fish, and this one, which can only have been designed by Mrs Slocombe.

D5431A2A-400A-411A-9933-75FC0F81E205.jpeg.6bf6027e220b727d82b96e94506adc8d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

“..in an effort to take our minds off the heat, the flies, and those dammed eternal drums..”

....isn’t the punchline “well you don’t HAVE to go home on leave, you know..”?

round here, the “damned eternal drums” come courtesy of the plague of builders who are working sporadically on various local properties...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Talking of damned drums. We have almost finished erecting a 16mm plycarbonate roof between the back door and an outbuilding. No thunder and lightening but it was just throwng it down. 

Don

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

And, how about this? 

A genuine railway hotel dance band.

Odd to think that possibly the most famous band leader of the 1930s started his career "on the railway" before getting poached by the BBC.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

One of our readers has asked some questions about the various versions of the modern BL Southern Mogul.

Here is what I think was the very last production version, which was released after the BL brand transferred to Hornby Hobbies. Spotting features are the painted reversing lever, and the fact that the loco is shown on the far right on the box lid.

378004EE-7619-4987-B14A-402CF5AE69F9.jpeg.452cd8fcdfcae162f0af644f8450e95b.jpeg

B00599B7-7522-4F34-97A3-2752FED388AA.jpeg.8e649388ba009bf01b050516e6fd6011.jpeg

The first version had no reversing lever, was a subtly different green (less olive), and had problems with screechy gearbox and wheel b-t-b that was set slightly too wide for perfect running through coarse-scale points set for a typical 27.5mm b-t-b. On the box, the photo of the loco is somewhere near the centre.

I think, but am not totally sure, that there may have been an intermediate version that had a quiet gearbox and a bare metal reversing lever, but I’d welcome confirmation/denial. Len Mills, now Chief Engineer of Ace, designed this loco and went through all the frustrations of trying to get production right at a time when the Chinese suppliers were still really unfamiliar with what they were being asked to do.

Does remind me that it is now over a year since my Railway was nationalised, and since I visited The Bluebell. Pining for the Southern I am now!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have a confession, I think I am the reader being referenced above.

A glance at my avatar may evoke cries of heresy - but this thread (as well as 'The Eagle Has Landed' by Dr. G-f ) has single-handedly convinced me that there is room for 'playing trains' alongside 'counting rivets' - it is still part of the same hobby but fills a very different gap.

I'm about to go on holiday, but when I return I should have a couple of glossy ACE Southern Region kettles arriving.  I believe there is someone in this thread thinking about a Minories layout, and I've put together a rough approximation of how I think that might look using Peco track (as a sub-in for Maldon standard points- same radius and spacing, different length:

MuCpypK.png?1

Before I get too far ahead of myself (and invest an eye watering £1200 in the track) I thought it might make sense to put together a 'toy trainset' loop for my trains to run while I figure out how to afford the above:

image.png.11e129d9adfaf971562aaba0901545fe.png

Maybe worth adding a siding?

image.png.12edb73ba4863d727c9eb62d7335c5e4.png

Ron at Maldon Track recommended a GaugeMaster 'Gauge 1' controller for tinplate. I can't see one of those, but there are some G-scale ones knocking around. Strangely, they seem be the same amperage as the O gauge version? I have found some options for bench power supplies/PWM's so that seems to be fairly reasonable. but a bit more DIY.

Thank you very much for the information, Mr. Holmer - I'll be keeping an eye out for the mogul but I think what I may need sooner rather than another passenger engine however, is a station pilot loco. Is it feasible to convert a Dapol Terrier into 3-rail?

Anyway, thoughts and opinions sought after and highly regarded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Henry Hall was, I believe, director of music for LMS Hotels. That information wasn't where I thought I'd read it, though.

I think you are right that he had a bigger role than just leading the band at Gleneagles, partly because I'm sure I've read/heard about him working with the artists who designed the decor of the ballroom at the amazing streamline moderne hotel at Morecambe, but he may actually have left the LMS by the time that opened, I'm not sure.

EDIT

From a music history website: His early musical career was slow to start but eventually he was engaged by the old London Midland and Scottish Railway to be in charge of the music throughout their then large chain of hotels. This included Gleneagles, where he had formerly led the band. It was from there that the BBC took him in 1932 as successor to Jack Payne........

And, from another one: Resident bandleader from 1922 to 1933 at the London, Midland and Scottish Railway's Midland Hotel in Manchester, England. Musical Director for the LMSR's hotel chain 1923 to 1933. First broadcast from the LMS' Gleneagles Hotel in 1924.

Here he is again, with numerous Sunny South Sams trying to get in on the act https://www.britishpathe.com/video/henry-hall-in-london-again/query/Waterloo Makes me realise how my maternal grandfather must have copied his look - same haircut, same glasses, bow tie and same type of jacket when in "sunday best", probably as late as the mid-70s.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Controllers: the Gaugemaster LGB one is the one to go for. There are two versions, one 2.5A, and one with fan that does I think 5A. It delivers 20V, whereas the 0 gauge one I think only does 12V. Actually, 12V is fine unless you want to run at very high speed And I have one of each 0 and LGB.

• Informative/Useful 1