Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

On 11/11/2020 at 19:06, GRASinBothell said:

The two people closest to the camera are, of course, Her Majesty The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, apparently showing more interest in a Hornby loco than the King Arthur

Great picture, Gordon!  The Royals may be wondering how the Hornby Special gets around with the out of gauge cylinders which may be the reason for the close inspection by HMTQ.  

Brian.

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Cleaning old toy trains?

Everyone seems to have their favourite method, mine being Waitrose Essential non-fragranced baby wipes. I’ve checked the recipe, and they contain nothing that will damage our toys.

Ah, ok, Thanks.  No Waitrose on the island now, Sainsbury's have taken over the consession in the local supermarkets, so may need to find a suitable alternative.  I have used Pledge, sprayed onto a cloth, to both clean and polish a small area of paintwork on a carriage roof without any immediate detriment - will give it a try on the litho print on a sacrificial item when I get chance.

Ah, at a guess I would agree that it is probably a wax build up. I wonder if the wax would provide any sort of barrier to moisture/fingerprints from handling ? Does the stickyness develop over time with repeated cleaning/polishing, or did you find it evident after just one use ? 

I wonder if the Pledge Wipes would have the same effect ?

• RMweb Gold

Using Pledge will build up a layer of silicone over the surface of anything. Whether or not it is a good idea is up to you. Difficult to remove and if sprayed onto something you may want to touch up the paint would be a problem.

Don

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Pledge had a nasty habit of leaving some sort of deposit (wax?) which makes the surface sort of sticky over time, causing it to hold dust.

Thus requiring more Pledge to clean it again.  

They're clever b******s these marketing whizz-kids.  

My mum bought it for years.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Silicon ! That will be the cause of the stickiness more so than the wax I would think. I agree about the repainting issue - in my youth I trained in vehicle body repair and we used to have all sorts of problems due to people using polishes and wax car shampoos containing silicon. It is extremely difficult to get rid of. Also a good reason to not use some washing up liquids as they can also contain silicon based substances to make your glasses shine.

No plans to repaint the coaches in question, the litho is pretty good, as is the paint to the roofs. Maybe I will try some non-moisturising face wipes the DD has in the bathroom......

• Like 1

No, not silicon, that’s not sticky at all.  

Silicone, and certainly contamination by silicone oils will be the very devil to sort out for painting and a load of other adhesive / industrial processes, but I’d be very surprised to find silicone in washing up liquid.  Silicones are normally banned from automotive manufacturing precisely because of their effects on paint.  So buying them from Halfords to polish your pride-and-joy is perhaps not wise.

You’d find lanolin in washing up liquid, (hands that do dishes...) and that’ll mess up your paint too, but it’s not silicone, and it’s much easier to clean off.

atb

Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

That's a very smart looking workbench Douglas !   Nice to see the loco running smoothly, you have done a good job with that and she looks nice too !  What fuel are you using ? I think they were intended to use Meths originally, but, that stinks indoors - I know from running old Mamods in the stuff !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, andi4x4 said:

That's a very smart looking workbench Douglas !   Nice to see the loco running smoothly, you have done a good job with that and she looks nice too !  What fuel are you using ? I think they were intended to use Meths originally, but, that stinks indoors - I know from running old Mamods in the stuff !

I still use meths, and do to it being very windy and cold right now in Oklahoma I always run indoors, but open a suitable amount of windows.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Donw said:

I am not so sure about Silicone not being sticky I think it depends on the surface texture  and how it is applied.

Don

I was thinking of the silicon hoses used for water and turbo purposes on cars - they are often sticky to the touch.

• Agree 1

This from a furniture restoration forum:

“Pledge, which contains silicone, will not harm or otherwise damage wood or clear coats. However, it does present real problems if you ever need to have touch up repairs or refinishing done to the item. Silicone creates a very slick surface tension, which repels any product applied over it. A professional will always check for silicone contamination and will have methods for dealing with it. For example, when I have a piece that I am refinishing and I know it has been contaminated I add silicone to the new clear coat. By doing so, the surface tensions are now equal allowing the new clear coat to flow out smoothly. If I didn't add silicone the new clear coat would fish eye (looks like small craters) and I'd have to start over again. Personally, I think it is nasty stuff having no useful purpose and would love to see Pledge removed from the market.”

Having bought one loco that I’m convinced had spent years as a shelf queen, with Mrs Railwayac giving it a generous squirt of the stuff and a quick buff-up every week, I agree with the last sentence. You can actually see very tiny yellow duster fibres stuck to the loco.

(how can a spellchecker decide that ‘quick’ should remain ‘Buick’?)

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

The inter-regional has got its reporting number now.

‘8’ means it’s going to Birmingham, so it’s probably a ‘Saturdays Only’ morning train from somewhere on the Sussex coast, having reversed and changed engines at Redhill.

I can’t quite get that typical late 1950s railway enthusiast quality to the picture - I think a phone camera gives a sharper picture than the typical amateur camera of the day. But, rest assured, I have my fish-paste sandwiches, Tizer, and ‘combine’ with me.

1F04438C-FC37-4C11-8361-7E82BE5488B7.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

But, rest assured, I have my fish-paste sandwiches, Tizer, and ‘combine’ with me.

I hate to mention it, but you also seem to be trespassing on the track.

Wonderful photo, and marvelous models!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Er, maybe.

But, its only the headshunt.

I believe that at the age when you were taking fish-paste sandwiches and tizer you would not have stood on any tracks.  Of course in your professional life it was a different matter. I think a mug of tea and probably spam in the sandwiches may have been more likely then.

Very evocative though.

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Don't forget your banana, that's already got squashed and turned brown.

.....bananas? Loooxury! I always had apples, from the tree in the garden. We used to store them in the garage, in boxes lined with newspaper; they would turn slightly wrinkled and sweet-tasting, which I always thought was a great improvement.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1