Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

I was stopped by a driver  delivering a van from Bristol to a company I had not heard of, turned out he should have gone to Poole in Dorset, not Pool in Cornwall, added 200 miles to his journey!

Edited by kernowtim
  • Like 1

We even have a Newcastle here in the US Pacific Northwest.

http://newcastlewa.gov/

Now that really would be a gross navigational error...

Of course, no worse than ending up here when you were looking for Washington, Co. Durham!

We have a Vancouver in the South of the state, as well as the better-known one just over the Northern border in Canada (both named after Royal Navy Captain George Vancouver). Some years ago a woman was detained at the Canadian border, because she had a live hand-grenade in her car. Her excuse for trying to bring a live grenade into Canada was that she was confused when she drove onto the freeway, and followed the signs to the wrong Vancouver!

Gordon

• Like 3

Newcastle-under-Lyme....

Bradford-on-Avon....

There are six towns called "Sutton" in the UK.....

I read of a driver once who took a container from Southampton docks to Stratford-on-Avon, because all the delivery address said on the paperwork was "Stratford LIFT".

LIFT was, of course, the London International Freight Terminal in Stratford, east London..... ;)

• Like 1

A question for Mr Nearholmer if I may..

Regarding your rust removing black treacle dodge, does this have to be a 50 50 water solution, or can it be just dobbed on neat ?

I've got a wagon with a couple of small but bad crusty rust areas that I'd ideally treat "locally" without dunking the whole thing..is this feasible or do I really need to make a "bath" for the entire wagon?

As i recall it won't damage or remove any paint ( usual factory Hornby tin plate stuff)

• Like 1

It will only hurt the paint if there is rust under the paint.

Be interested to see if it does work - I wonder whether the water molecules might actually play a part in the reaction, so it may not. Try Googling ‘chemistry of chelation’ (and ignore all the quack medicine that you get!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

and whilst you're buying the treacle (I threw about a third of a can out on Saturday because I was so surprised that it actually said "discard when expired" below the BBE date and it was a couple of years out) buy some citric acid powder, as that is an effective chelator too.  Wilko in the brewing area.  Makes good flux too.

And the treacle is excellent when baking bread :)

atb

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks gents, 

I was also wondering if it needed the water to create the reaction, if it doesn't work 'neat' I'll try adding water but keeping it paste like so it stays where i put it!  It's just a couple of v.small rusty areas, the rest of the wagon is fine

I'll try the citric acid powder too, I'm sure that kind of rings a bell from somewhere... good call !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm looking to improve the traction on a modern BL Princess, as it struggles pulling my coaches. I plan to reduce the drag on my coaches (ie half the pickups on the coaches) however, I feel some additional weight would help. Are there any weights available that can be readily fitted onto the loco?

Thanks in advance

Visit your local friendly car tyre centre and ask for balance weights.  

New stick-on ones are convenient.  

Old clip-on ones will be very dirty, and inconveniently shaped, but possibly free.  

or maybe a local builder will give you a few inches of lead flashing for the price of a couple of pints.

always wash your hands after handling lead.

atb

Simon

• Like 3

I don’t know this loco, so don’t know the drive-train, and whether it’s up to additional strain.

I’m pretty sure it was designed for corgi/BL by Len Mills, Ace Trains current engineering guru, so maybe you could ask him - his contact details are somewhere on the Ace website I think.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/02/2021 at 13:11, Simond said:

and whilst you're buying the treacle (I threw about a third of a can out on Saturday because I was so surprised that it actually said "discard when expired" below the BBE date and it was a couple of years out)

What rot. It should say "discard when empty". The only danger is that pressure may build up in the tin causing the lid to pop off unexpectedly - though I admit the resulting surprise can be hazardous if you're doing something in the kitchen at the time. Even if you're hesitant about stirring a spoon-full into your marmalade, it'll be perfectly good for locomotive purposes.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I don’t know this loco, so don’t know the drive-train, and whether it’s up to additional strain.

I’m pretty sure it was designed for corgi/BL by Len Mills, Ace Trains current engineering guru, so maybe you could ask him - his contact details are somewhere on the Ace website I think.

Thank you

It was actually Len who suggested a bit of extra weight (a little while ago now), so I'm sure it (will happily take some more weight to improve traction and it) has a good drive-train, the engine just feels a little light. I might weigh it and compare to a few others.

Kinda thought I wouldn't be the first to do it and maybe someone else had some direct experience.

19 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Even if you're hesitant about stirring a spoon-full into your marmalade, it'll be perfectly good for locomotive purposes.

Or for realistic wagon loads for your treacle mine traffic.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1