Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

There was me thinking that this Topic was moribund, had turned up its toes and died. So goes away for a very pleasent weekend - then return to find there has been an outbreak of great "Deliberately Old Fashioned" doings. We will just have to go away for another good break!

However, I will add to the theme with my own bit of "Deliberately Old-Fashionedness" - with a couple of pictures of the distinctly foreign Posh train seen recently at "Gutter Lane" (a relation of "Birlstone", but as yet without scenery).

IMG_0730.jpg.1f71c4427c8523ef4e3250c13c6c716c.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg.fe39b85e5c9e35d285bcce4c8b620dd4.jpg

Hope it helps to keep this Topic going.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/06/2021 at 18:13, Metropolitan H said:

There was me thinking that this Topic was moribund, had turned up its toes and died. So goes away for a very pleasent weekend - then return to find there has been an outbreak of great "Deliberately Old Fashioned" doings. We will just have to go away for another good break!

However, I will add to the theme with my own bit of "Deliberately Old-Fashionedness" - with a couple of pictures of the distinctly foreign Posh train seen recently at "Gutter Lane" (a relation of "Birlstone", but as yet without scenery).

IMG_0730.jpg.1f71c4427c8523ef4e3250c13c6c716c.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg.fe39b85e5c9e35d285bcce4c8b620dd4.jpg

Hope it helps to keep this Topic going.

Regards

Chris H

Ooh, that’s interesting!

Like yourself, I really enjoy catching up with this thread - always entertaining, informative and good natured (even though my own models aren’t themselves Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale).  So…

…I’ve just posted an update in my own current layout thread about several things, including how best to integrate my latest purchase, and then I turn to here and see your photo.  And what is it I’ve bought?

30B4F4C7-2BDD-43F5-A2E4-4D99582D5A10.jpeg.34844ee2ef5fb25451ca003ca81d44f1.jpeg

Yup - the green Swiss electrics got me too 😀.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 6

I have a couple of Exley coaches which are in terrible condition, that I am looking to refurbish. I have been trying to find some articles that may offer some advice before I dive in, but I'm not having much luck. 

Any pointers?

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1

I know next to nothing about Exley coaches, owning only one, but if you sign-up to the Classic 0 Forum, www.classicogauge.net , at least one member, in Australia IIRC, is a dab had at restoring them, and happy to share his knowledge - I think there might be a thread on the topic there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Just to prove that Birlstone still exists.

Regular trainspotters should get a new ‘cop’.

132F286D-547B-4DEB-B564-F25D79B85B34.jpeg

4B535B46-BAFC-4747-9354-4901EFD162F9.jpeg

539BA218-FE35-4A9A-A3FA-0824E8023E33.jpeg

Very nice. How does it get round the corners?

• Funny 1

Very smoothly, by means of controlled side play and big clearances. 

The de-facto standard for coarse-0 is 24” radius, and the greatest triumph in that respect is the Ace 9F, which does it with aplomb.

Of course, below the waist these locos are nothing like ‘scale’, with things like brake-gear omitted, and large clearance in the valve-gear, to allow all this squiggling. Here it is on 27” radius, which is the smallest I have, doing the same as its little Hornby Dublo sibling does on 15” radius.

CAC621F0-ACFB-4F18-BDA4-73D6320DB3CE.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

That 8F is absolutely wonderful, and so good to see you back with the railway too :)  I find it really lifts my spirits seeing these trains.

The class 20/Type 1 is nice as well, is that the ETS model?

• Like 2

It is ETS. It is a model that modern Bassett-Lowke (owned by Corgi at the time IIRC) first commissioned, but after an ‘exclusivity period’ it became an ETS catalogue item. It is rumoured to be 1:45 scale, but I’ve never actually checked, and it looks fine to me.

Here is why summer tends not to be toy train time - I like to be out for fresh air and exercise. The station is Heathfield in Sussex.

522E1CA5-2D29-47F2-9A59-A687058BCF76.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

While Nearholmer was away wearing himself out on two wheels another posh train has turned up at "Gutter Lane" - not that many miles from Birlstone and Paltry Circus.

IMG_0745.jpg.fbec6c48131c57dca86ed54941c85f60.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg.98aa29a6c7c112f940d7cb165980626a.jpgIMG_0749.jpg.567b15c5be1babd37c8c3b2c660b98d3.jpg

This rake will be re labelled the "West Riding Pullman" and is eagerly awaiting a LNER Class C1 "Large" Atlantic - following which the V2 can return to other duties, especially as that class post-dates the "West Riding Pullman" becoming the "Yorkshire Pullman".

Regards

Chris H

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Noise reduction was a major factor in the choice of "Ballast" / underlay, the neighbours have a bedroom the other side of the party wall (painted block-work) to behind the train.

Also it could get a bit too loud in the room with two trains circulating - but the sound deadening makes it reasonable. A bit more work to do in one corner before finishing off the ballast edges - but I'm having fun operating - and currently working on the overhaul of the outdoor "G scale - 45mm gauge" line.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 2

I know this is a bit out of context - but does anyone remember the name of that layout that was used to train signallers? I've got a right old itch to see it again after I saw it at Swindon in 2018.

It's got a deliberately-old-fashioned look about it - varnished wooden boards, big brass lever frames, etc.

Edited by Lacathedrale
  • Like 2

Yep, ETS again, and a pretty much scale representation, so surprisingly big. In my mind the 1/45 scale, which they use for continental material, brings it nicely to size for a ferry van.

4 hours ago, Northroader said:

Heathfield is a long bikeride from MK, did you use the M25?

Nope. Via the Chilterns, Windsor Great Park, various backways to Guildford, then down the trackbed of the former LBSCR line to Shoreham, along the coast to Eastbourne, and up the path that follows the trackbed of the former LBSCR line towards Tunbridge Wells. Then more paths on trackbeds to get to Three Bridges to catch a train nearly home. Not all in one day, I add. c250 miles of mostly off-road cycling in six days. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

19 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Yep, ETS again, and a pretty much scale representation, so surprisingly big. In my mind the 1/45 scale, which they use for continental material, brings it nicely to size for a ferry van.

Having not seen that before, I then checked the ETS site, and found it with "First pieces available soon". Either you got an early one, or their website is out of date! I'm going to have to think about getting one, though I'm not sure it would go well with my JeP or French Hornby ones. Did you get it direct from Prague?

Gordon

6 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

I know this is a bit out of context - but does anyone remember the name of that layout that was used to train signallers? I've got a right old itch to see it again after I saw it at Swindon in 2018.

It's got a deliberately-old-fashioned look about it - varnished wooden boards, big brass lever frames, etc.

These?

Douglas

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

These?

Douglas

Wasn't there also a surviving one in the Army archives/museum collection too? The one from Longmoor, very similar to the NRM one from the look of the archive shots, a Basset-Lowke product.

I've always loved the NRM one, the ornate wooden tables with the track running round it. If I had a mansion...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, GRASinBothell said:

Either you got an early one, or their website is out of date!

I ordered it via Paul of WJV fame as soon as I spotted it on the website, then had to wait a couple of months before it arrived.

Better picture.

6423A888-D2D2-4BF1-A4AF-D944520C9671.jpeg

Does anyone know for sure whether STEF wagons came to the UK? I remember seeing a lot of Interfrigo and Transfesa wagons, plus odd others, and I think I saw STEF ones, but that may be false-memory syndrome born of seeing too many Hornby ones. Not that big a deal, because I do run a French goods train on my British layout, but it would be nice to know.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

They absolutely came to the UK. I was at a boarding school in Folkestone, where the playing fields were alongside the South Eastern main line, and saw many trains composed largely of STEF (and some INTERFRIGO, but mostly STEF) vans. I'm pretty sure some of those trains were pulled by Bulleid light Pacifics, which is why I have JeP and French Hornby STEF vans for my Ace West Country! And why my dublo layout in the sixties include Hornby AcHo STEF and Airfix Interfrigo vans.

Gordon

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1