Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I did. And, is that the water tower at Mursley?

PS: I think you might have The London & Blackwall in there too, so three London early railways, two of which were the first sites of practical application of Cooke & Wheatstone's telegraph, both to signal stationary-engine haulage of cable railways.

No, its below the 'plane and to the bottom of the view. Sitting on the wrong side.

Not Mursley - we were on the return to Duxford so much further east than Mursley - we went north over "Ally-Pally" and Northumberland Park Depot before heading north to the east of the ECML (as far as I could tell).

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

If I could find a model in a relevant scale, that would possibly happen, but the nearest I can get is a JU52 in Swissair livery at 1/48 scale (a "Polish Lego" kit by Cobi, like the Fokker DR1), or 1/43.5 (in tinplate by Maerklin so very much bankruptus unobtanium).

EDIT: The Evils of The Internet https://www.scalemates.com/kits/armory-ar48tbd-dh-89a-dragon-rapide--1355204

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

Very good.

By the way did you notice that one of my pictures showed the "London and Greenwich Railway" - sat on top of its arches out from London Bridge - and another included the "London and Birmingham Railway" (and successors) route up Camden Bank out of Euston.

Regards

Chris H

Yep. Couldn't work out the last one though.

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Now, the coaches?

There isn't a clear view of the coaches, but they look like preserved Big Four Era stock. Caledonian Railway coaches perhaps?

coach1.png.8f47cc34a0b8b2f3d4a47de6648c54a0.png

The locomotive is Highland Railway 4F Class ‘Jones Goods’ 4-6-0 No.103, built in 1894, masquerading as a Frenchman.

train.png.4747f6fa2c064a956ef84fe560b1c8f3.png

Edited by goldfish
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, goldfish said:

There isn't a clear view of the coaches, but they look like preserved Big Four Era stock. Caledonian Railway coaches perhaps?

Painted up steel side suburbans would make for a cheap option for a film.

• Like 2

Every once in a while something truly positive happens somewhere on the national rail network, and this is one such.

Refurb of Eridge station in Sussex, one of my two ‘locals’ when I was growing up. Even as recently as the 70s, it was a lovely Junction station of the traditional kind, but it has spent about 30+ years in deep decay, losing its signals, signalbox, and all sense of dignity, so sad I gave up visiting it when down that way, and shut my eyes when passing through on the train. So this is a very real improvement indeed!

https://www.derekhayward.co.uk/SpaValleyRailway-1/Eridge-Station-2021/?fbclid=IwAR1lQ_tSwReyf9BlpYSpbIH0Y2dv30nGZazd1RL30AcUfnLf1TI9sGkyiXo

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 4

On 03/08/2021 at 11:17, goldfish said:

The locomotive is Highland Railway 4F Class ‘Jones Goods’ 4-6-0 No.103, built in 1894, masquerading as a Frenchman.

At first sight would appear that the use of a Scottish locomotive to represent a French one would be completely wrong, but in fact it does make sense. The Jones Goods 4-6-0 was the basis of the Drummond Castle class locomotives. The North British Locomotive Company built 50 of the Castle Class for Chemins de Fer de l'Etat Francaise in 1911. The error is having NORD on the side of the tender.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Every once in a while something truly positive happens somewhere on the national rail network, and this is one such.

Refurb of Eridge station in Sussex, one of my two ‘locals’ when I was growing up. Even as recently as the 70s, it was a lovely Junction station of the traditional kind, but it has spent about 30+ years in deep decay, losing its signals, signalbox, and all sense of dignity, so sad I gave up visiting it when down that way, and shut my eyes when passing through on the train. So this is a very real improvement indeed!

https://www.derekhayward.co.uk/SpaValleyRailway-1/Eridge-Station-2021/?fbclid=IwAR1lQ_tSwReyf9BlpYSpbIH0Y2dv30nGZazd1RL30AcUfnLf1TI9sGkyiXo

Don't believe everything you read, the Spa side at Eridge is getting a ramp cut into the platform, to permit a run round.

Mark.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Yesterday evening, and for the first time in 18+ months, Met H and myself operated Birlstone and Paltry properly, to timetable-sequence.

I’m still trying to perfect the timetable, but am getting there, and it now needs two trains to operate “the branch”, which is the role played by Paltry. We used mostly GWR/BR(W) stock, and the only photo I took shows both “branch” trains together. Readers of MRJ should try really hard not to notice that baseboard joint, in case it upsets them.

27126C2C-33B1-4CBC-8FD7-04442FCA8964.jpeg

That joint gave a very satisfactory "Clunk" as the wheels passed over it! - A very fun evening - even if we didn't quite finish the day's timetable!

Chris H

• Like 8

On 03/08/2021 at 05:17, goldfish said:

coach1.png.8f47cc34a0b8b2f3d4a47de6648c54a0.png

train.png.4747f6fa2c064a956ef84fe560b1c8f3.png

I don’t think they’re Caley coaches, as I believe only 2 were preserved, lest the film was shot before about 1968, in which case they may be.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Yesterday evening, and for the first time in 18+ months, Met H and myself operated Birlstone and Paltry properly, to timetable-sequence.

I’m still trying to perfect the timetable, but am getting there, and it now needs two trains to operate “the branch”, which is the role played by Paltry. We used mostly GWR/BR(W) stock, and the only photo I took shows both “branch” trains together. Readers of MRJ should try really hard not to notice that baseboard joint, in case it upsets them.

27126C2C-33B1-4CBC-8FD7-04442FCA8964.jpeg

What is the source of that railcar? I am patiently awaiting the Dapol release.

• Like 1

Both the railcar and the auto train are ETS, commissioned by W J Vintage and Raylo. Met H can tell more, they being his toys, rather than mine.

I'm not sure how up to date their websites are, but both commissioners still seem to have some in stock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Readers of MRJ should try really hard not to notice that baseboard joint, in case it upsets them.

You never know, it could be a very well laid Telegraph cable from the honorable Metropolitan Pyramid Company’s global strategic headquarters offices to the front line in Lincolnshire.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 07/08/2021 at 03:41, Nearholmer said:

...snip... Readers of MRJ should try really hard not to notice that baseboard joint, in case it upsets them.

No problem, it is the UK version of the San Andreas Fault!  :clapping:

• Funny 3

Hello all,

Once again after yet another failure happened since my last post here, which has now been rectified. So my mogul is now once again running at roughly full power. In the videos though it does look like it may be a bit slow, this I think is the fact that the track is laid on a very slight gradient which is the worst enemy of the pot boilered live steamer. The goods train is also a bit short and I hope to add some more wagons or at least a brake van to it soon. Yes the everclear bottle if there for fuel, it burns hotter than the "watered down" USA denatured alcohol.

Douglas

• Like 8