Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

On 24/03/2017 at 11:35, Isambarduk said:

I used to be 'Locomotive Superintended' for the Brambleton Model Railway Club (www.brambleton.org.uk), having responsibility for maintaining over fifty clockwork (or 'spring-drive' as they might be called today) locomotives, so I had access to a very large box of 'useful bits'.

David

Are you another (ex)Harpendenite? It always struck me as a place having more than its fair share of railway and model railway enthusiasts.

• Like 1

Guest Isambarduk
3 hours ago, Talltim said:

Are you another (ex)Harpendenite?

Yes.  I left home in Meadway in 1970 but my mother still lives there in the same house that we moved into in 1958!   David

One of the best traditional town MRC exhibitions too, IMO. They manage to cram a lot of variety and interest into what is not a huge venue and aren’t super-finescale obsessed* to the exclusion of all else. 

I like the shops there too, still a few deliberately old-fashioned ones.

B7BC625F-85B2-4B7D-B2B4-BDCA7A0FAB3C.jpeg.d3d30742c20b3c9be13a7964b8dd825d.jpeg

On the down side, the cycle track from there to St Albans is maintained by a council that clearly wishes pain, discomfort, and a host of greater unpleasantnesses upon all cyclists.

* I’m not against super-finescale, some of it is stunningly good, but there is more to life than just that.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I thought I had a picture of the exterior on my phone, but I must have accidentally zapped it. Luckily, somebody else liked the WW1 commemorative window display too https://www.flickr.com/photos/16677680@N04/15561181244/in/photostream/

TBH, I don’t know the town hugely well - it just happens to sit at the intersection of several traffic-free cycling routes and be a good place to stop for lunch if going that way.

• Like 2

Horrified by that block of wood ...just been building my own repro leeds coaches on the dining table .Then someone comes along and orders some !

Some of the old stuff can get twisted ..Hornby metal you can unbend but the wooden rolling stock  is a reminder why I use Hornby plastic wheels with deep flanges as standard to compensate .Restored two 4 wheel coaches like that ..based on very old bodies and new lithos .      Bruce

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bruce palmer said:

Horrified by that block of wood ...just been building my own repro leeds coaches on the dining table .Then someone comes along and orders some !

Some of the old stuff can get twisted ..

I'm afraid I don't understand. What exactly is wrong with mine?

....thats basic modelling ! A nice Leeds wooden coach is the next stage ...in my case down a very slippery slope to a house full of the things !

With all the lockdown in the UK its nice to be able to forget it all and run trains . At the moment a 20 wagon one of Leeds goods wagons,althogh the 1920s/30s ethos of tinplate prewar Hornby rails as well is rather spolit by it being hauled by a brand new WJV/ETS J94 0 6 0T..........

Bruce

• Like 2

Don’t know what you think Bruce, but to me the Austerity has the makings of a classic - there’s something about the fat, round body that suits tinplate. Maybe it reminds me of a can of peaches or something. You must be very pleased to see it after all the Merkur disappointments.

• Like 1

JSB

Flange-phobics can book courses of therapy through our on-line system.

Each one hour session represents excellent value for money at a mere £250, and after each batch of ten sessions you will receive a voucher entitling you to a further ten sessions at no greater price than you paid on the previous occasion.

Sessions are re,aotely mediated by one of our expert practitioners and involve simple exercises that allow you to rid yourself of your fear of flanges painlessly, and at great expense.

You may wish to reassure yourself about the genuineness of this offer by reading our many self-authored faux-testimonials, and examining our Certificate of Honorary Doctorhood from The University of The Scilly Isles.

Helping you to help yourself by helping ourselves to your money.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 10

15 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

JSB

Each one hour session represents excellent value for money at a mere £250, and after each batch of ten sessions you will receive a voucher entitling you to a further ten sessions at no greater price than you paid on the previous occasion.

Sessions are re,aotely mediated by one of our expert practitioners and involve simple exercises that allow you to rid yourself of your fear of flanges painlessly, and at great expense.

You may wish to reassure yourself about the genuineness of this offer by reading our many self-authored faux-testimonials, and examining our Certificate of Honorary Doctorhood from The University of The Scilly Isles.

It takes real skill to come up with something like that Kevin.:ok:

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

JSB

I'll have a pint of what you're on please.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/10/2020 at 23:38, Nearholmer said:

JSB

What I’ve never worked out is why big flanges sometimes get / got called “pizza cutters” ?  

(Sorry, photos no longer available)

The flange on mine may be large, but it’s not wide.

Edit to add: Perhaps it helps me that my first model Loco was 1970s N Gauge - this was cutting edge then, too.

(Sorry, photos no longer available)

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
Edited for text only as photo no longer available
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

What I’ve never worked out is why big flanges sometimes get / got called “pizza cutters” ?

I saw the term first used regarding Lima 4mm models c.1980s, where flanges were not only pretty deep but also quite sharp, so they could 'cut a pizza'.

I tend to think of 3-rail/tinplate wheels as 'Steamrollers' myself - the width of the tyre making the depth of the flange almost an irrelevance. I can cope with the sight of them these days, thanks to the thought of paying for those Therapy sessions offered by Dr Nearholmer and his team of dedicated mercenaries enthusiasts, although only in the case of British trains, dammit Carruthers (been reading @The Johnster's posts too much as well).

American 3-rail O Gauge still gives me the twitch, though. It involves so many compromises beyond the wheels (swing loco pilots, lobster-claw couplers, etc) and impacts hugely on what is - or more often what is not - available in 2-rail O Scale that it really does make me heave. :bo_mini:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thank you Edwardian, I was beginning to fear that we were spinning-off into a netherworld.

To further emphasise the intended Englishness of this thread, here is another picture, this time in colour (mostly a sort of grey colour).

8E6A0ABE-B8CF-40C8-9388-F3092826492C.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 12