Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

TBH, I'm a few years too young to have been let loose train-spotting while steam was still about; my steam memories are all from the "under adult supervision" stage of life. And, strangely, I can't actually remember what I used to take with me to eat when I did escape - I must have eaten something*, because many expeditions were dawn-to-dusk, in fact dawn-to-dark, jobs, involving complex schedules of 'bus and train, or bike and train. I still miss proper brake-vans on trains in which to stow the bike for the return trip.

*I do remember those awful small fruit-pies that came in a cardboard box and a tinfoil tray-thing, which you could get at station buffets. All pastry and a smear of "fruit" that was probably 97% sugar and water.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Maybe we should start a (very short indeed) "Delicacies of Travellers Fare" (shouldn't that have an apostrophe in it somewhere?) thread.

The only actual delicacy that I can remember is from a few years later, when I used to go to Portmadoc quite often: the station buffet at Shrewsbury provided huge slabs of lead-heavy bread pudding, with loads of fruit in it, and crunchy sugar on top. I never saw this at any other buffet, so I guess it was home-made by the staff there, and it might have been one of those "unofficial" things, like some sandwiches and drinks on trains, where the staff provided the material, sold it, and pocketed the profits, while not selling the material provided by BR, thereby rendering buffet cars unprofitable, and threatening their own employment.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Maybe we should start a (very short indeed) "Delicacies of Travellers Fare" (shouldn't that have an apostrophe in it somewhere?) thread.

The only actual delicacy that I can remember is from a few years later, when I used to go to Portmadoc quite often: the station buffet at Shrewsbury provided huge slabs of lead-heavy bread pudding, with loads of fruit in it, and crunchy sugar on top. I never saw this at any other buffet, so I guess it was home-made by the staff there, and it might have been one of those "unofficial" things, like some sandwiches and drinks on trains, where the staff provided the material, sold it, and pocketed the profits, while not selling the material provided by BR, thereby rendering buffet cars unprofitable, and threatening their own employment.

I remember getting a penny off a cup of tea (but not coffee, as it happens) at Crewe station buffet if you showed an OCS pass.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Oh, yes, once I started working there was a "cheap tea" thing, I'd forgotten that. Probably because I have always detested tea, and drank coffee from an early age.

Which could take us on from TF to staff canteens and the BRSA.

Waterloo had plenty of all three, and the most impressive thing was that our work took us into the "back arches", the empty voids behind occupied arches, which allowed a clear understanding of quite how many rats and cockroaches were supported by these various operations. There were so many of both that the entire station could have been borne aloft and carried away on their backs. We used to catch big cockroaches and attempt to race them at lunch-break, with a sweepstake prize, but they are utterly rubbish at racing - shockingly uncompetitive creatures, and they refuse to stay in-lane.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

.. my memories of the end of steam form part of a flickering, confused backdrop of family upheaval. I certainly remember being taken to Kings X by my father, to see the steam locos there - this must have been not later than early 1962, when I would have been 7 years old. Then again, young children were allowed far more freedom then than now. I might have been on my own, living within walking distance of Highbury and Dalston Road stations, but I doubt it. 

Then came the move to Cambridge, which forms a confused passage at this late stage. There were various interludes in which I stayed with relatives there, beginning in early 1962 and culminating in a move in late 1963 - we actually finally moved there, all as a family in early 1964. I certainly recall the Cambridge steam sheds and the footbridge across from Tenison Road, along with the coal tower being in operation - we lived in Mill Road, and it was clearly visible from the bridge. 

I wasn't really aware of the whole programme of replacing steam with diesel haulage, and wasn't conscious of diesel locos as a class (remember, I was already familiar with EMU units, from living in London and spending time with relatives in the South-East). I did occasionally go train-spotting at secondary school age, but it wasn't a particular interest and then I went to college in Cornwall in the mid-1970s. I believe the Cambridge coaling tower was demolished around that time; certainly the loco depot had disappeared, and the footbridge gone when I had a girlfriend in Tenison Road around 1973. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

they are utterly rubbish at racing - shockingly uncompetitive creatures,

My suspicion is that had you starved them for a suitable period of time, and then allowed them to smell an appropriate decomposing whatever at the finish line for a wee while, you'd see an astonishing turn of speed.   You might also attract an astonishing turn of speed from the RSPCA, I suppose...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

You’re right: gorging on British Rail pork pies never made anyone. or any thing, particularly fast-moving.

Although I’m supposed to be Doing More Important Things Than Playing Trains today, I did find a minute to add a signature GWR item to the layout, in the form of a potted plant (OK, it’s a Playmobil plastic potted plant pinched from youngest). As much part of the GWR experience as pannier tanks, fat-looking lower-quadrant signals, and half-timbered carriages.

F3A0DB1A-4D44-4BC2-BD5A-836165CCEECE.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

39 minutes ago, Northroader said:

I don’t remember the potted plant?

Gone to seed years ago, by the look of it.

Palms mostly, to my recollection. Possibly a Cornish thing.

Yes, here’s one post-nationalisation, not cut by Beeching, or indeed anyone else, courtesy Cornwall Railway Society.

30C4862C-E082-43FA-8BF5-82DA372989F3.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 7

On the subject of BR cuisine you forgot to mention the bright yellow fruit cake that was encapsulated in Industrial strength plastic packaging ! Just the job for spotting at Cardiff General! along with tea that was brown water with sugar !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

True enough, Annie, the photo shows the place after Beeching had pinched the shelter on the platform, and the track had been relaid for continuing freight service, but there was any potted plants. It does appear on Kevin’s “halts” thread, which appears to have reached a halt. Never fear, as I type, a track laying gang is gallantly progressing the last half mile from the Cheshire Cheese bridge to put right the wrongs of your bete noir.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

What I remember was the odd chemical taste of the orange drink at Fratton in the 1960s. It came in a clear plastic container and I always wondered whether the squash was actually dissolving the plastic, and if so what it must be doing to my stomach. That didn't deter me, though.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

...snip...

F3A0DB1A-4D44-4BC2-BD5A-836165CCEECE.jpeg

I have been meaning to ask what brand of three-rail track is that? It looks very different from the usual culprits available over here. I do like it and also wonder if the same brand offers a similar two-rail version.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some forgotten text.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Yes, here’s one post-nationalisation, not cut by Beeching, or indeed anyone else, courtesy Cornwall Railway Society.

It's either due to the Gulf Stream, or, maybe ....

Wicker_web1.jpg.3b6c80c8bb1c663045a25ab9c76eef83.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

We have a lovely Don Breckon print of Lostwithial complete with a Castle, 14xx and palm.  Of course living in the south we get palms. We had one on the IOW and there are quite a few here. I am also not sure about the one Marion has potted up having put it in a big pot I think it is on its way up. 

One cannot but feel sympathy for those who missed out on proper steam railways but there again they escaped the trauma of Beeching.  To see King James at top speed rushing the Bristolian through the middle road at Reading is unlikely to be repeated.

Don

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I have been meaning to ask what brand of three-rail track is that?

Maldon Track, made in Maldon, by Mr Fraser. https://maldontrack.com/

The standard item has fewer sleepers than mine - I go through the thumb-discomfort of threading sleepers to 30mm spacing, like 1930s Maerklin track, which I think makes it look a lot better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

And a proper duffle bag!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, mervyn said:

On the subject of BR cuisine you forgot to mention the bright yellow fruit cake that was encapsulated in Industrial strength plastic packaging ! Just the job for spotting at Cardiff General! along with tea that was brown water with sugar !

My Dad used to call that Railway Cake, as a) it was all you could get at station buffets and b) you couldn't get it anywhere else.

• Like 3