Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold

There may be a drawing or two in Atkins, Hyde and Tourette GWR wagons

Don

PS If you don't have it forget it Amazon are listing one @ £99

Edited by Donw

• RMweb Premium

The Touret book doesn’t cover the milk vans, their diagram O is a passenger diagram, not O for opens, so I’ve saved you £99, ching ching. The HMRS publications do a booklet “GW siphons” which must be the gospel, although I don’t have it. I use Jim Russell’s “GWR passenger coaches part 1” which has some photos and drawings. The four wheeler you’re doing is an O1, which appears with two kinds of doors. The 6wheeler you fancy with the end panel X bracing is an O2, which was built with both varieties of roofs.

I’ve got an O1, which was made as a one piece resin casting coming from the Broad Guage Society, and this has gone on a chassis from Slaters (MR, but promise not to tell our Compound matey) It just so happens I was at the Reading GOG trade fair a couple of weeks ago, and picked up, quite cheaply, a part completed kit for an O4, the Slaters model with the diagonal end panel braces. So there’s a nice little milk train forming, although I fear with finescale wheels. It’s getting teamed up with a 4wheel brake van, a V2. This comes from Scorpio as a set of brass etched sides, which keeps the costs down, and then you add the chassis and so on as you can. To pull them, I’m making a 2-4-0ST, but the trouble is, I sort of make a loco that will run and pull a train, then doing the superstructure finishing off always seems to last forever.post-26540-0-36966200-1544872093_thumb.jpeg

I was looking at the Jan Railway Modeller in the paper shop this morning, and drooling over Jools Holland’s London line which was featured. Some of the background would do well for Paltry Circus?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very good train emerging there.

Mr Holland’s layout is interesting, isn’t it? A very personal creation, not really like anything I’ve ever see before, his mental map of London.

Just flicking through the pages it shouted London to me before I had seen whose layout it was or what it was intended to be.

some of my siphons

post-8525-0-52956500-1299100751_thumb.jpg
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

No send before date given, just “early” a bit vague, and why hand in during daylight?

The REC co-ordinated the railways during WW2, answering directly to the Minister for Transport. It's a reminder that a bossy tone has always been popular with bureaucrats. 

The lack of a final posting date does seem strange, but if everyone had waited to the final posting day that might have put extra strain on an already very overstretched system.  Perhaps the very vagueness of the exhortation was designed to make people post earlier than necessary.

At least the REC poster has reminded me to wish everyone a Very Happy Christmas!

And your parcel? Probably delayed by enemy action, I'm afraid ...

Edited by Ian Simpson

I think that bossy and /or patronising tone has always been pretty popular with bureaucrats

It's instructions, orders if you like, telling folk the best way in getting their parcels delivered for Christmas. How would you/why would you want to dress it up in any other way?

• RMweb Gold

It's instructions, orders if you like, telling folk the best way in getting their parcels delivered for Christmas. How would you/why would you want to dress it up in any other way?

Personally I wouldn't change it at all. After all, there's a reason why bureaucrats use the bossy voice when they want us to do something. It's because we tend to ignore everything else.

• RMweb Gold

Nothing wrong with telling people what to do. Saves time and effort. Too much time wasted being nice.

I want a hat that has “JFDI” on the front.

Best wishes for the season.

Unless you are telling contrary obstinate folk what to do.

Don

Should implies suggestion, rather than instruction, to me. Try shall, or must. Although, if you are Scots or Irish the sense maybe different.

My observation is that people are perfectly happy to be ordered about if they can see the necessity for it and the logic of the orders, but that barely anybody (anybody in Britain at least) is happy to be ordered about if they can’t see either the necessity or the logic.

I’m guessing that during WW2 people did understand the necessity and logic, at least most of the people for most of the time did. People certainly ignored orders not to shelter from the blitz in the tube, because they couldn’t see why they shouldn’t, and they were right.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

Ting, Ting .......Ting.

The Signalman of Time rings the Old Year out of section.

Ting!

Ah, the 'Call Attention' that heralds the approach of the 20:19 Up Mixed Goods.

I hope that it is bringing a cargo of peace and good fortune for all of us.

• Like 7