Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

On 24/11/2019 at 07:54, Nearholmer said:

Graham Greene novels, and films thereof are another source of post-war atmosphere...

Apart from "The Little Train" which, in its ineffable tweeness, makes The Rev W Awdrys locomotive tales seem like primary source material!  At least a filmic version of "The Little Train" hasn't been committed. Yet.

Doesn't Celia Johnson have big Manga Comic eyes!

• Agree 1

A couple of pictures from a Narogg meeting earlier this week.

My own light railway train, provoked by Northroader. The Terrier’s rather iffy livery was achieved with a fridge magnet, and I need to get some thinner magnetic paper and try to make a better version using a better printer.

0DF13968-4AAB-4BAC-A563-003ABD1F7BBC.jpeg.7f15de1fccf87c1188ee5c1f65a921c1.jpeg

From that impudence to some real dignity. This loco is 8 mm/ft scale, to accommodate a huge spring, and was originally built by Rev. Parley, who was a really influential outdoor railway modeller, active from c1900 to, I think, the early 1950s.

B6151A44-272E-41E4-8409-4CB868E05783.jpeg.edea10b42a294e6a9442c7b43cd97b51.jpeg

• Like 11

As has been chewed-over here before, clockwork locos are a different thing altogether, requiring a railway very different from one for electric trains, because they demand more attention.

The CA thread got onto cricket just now, and I think there is a parallel, in that running a proper clockwork railway (not racing round a circuit of tinplate on the carpet), is at least a long Sunday afternoon game, whereas the world has moved on to the quicker gratification of limited-over electrically-powered trains.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

A couple of pictures from a Narogg meeting earlier this week.

My own light railway train, provoked by Northroader. The Terrier’s rather iffy livery was achieved with a fridge magnet, and I need to get some thinner magnetic paper and try to make a better version using a better printer.

0DF13968-4AAB-4BAC-A563-003ABD1F7BBC.jpeg.7f15de1fccf87c1188ee5c1f65a921c1.jpeg

From that impudence to some real dignity. This loco is 8 mm/ft scale, to accommodate a huge spring, and was originally built by Rev. Parley, who was a really influential outdoor railway modeller, active from c1900 to, I think, the early 1950s.

B6151A44-272E-41E4-8409-4CB868E05783.jpeg.edea10b42a294e6a9442c7b43cd97b51.jpeg

Like the effect of your light railway train, who'd have thought German toy train coaches could pass as model, of something completely unimagined by their designer I'm sure! I have been offered the Parley North Eastern Atlantic, and a NER 4-6-0 too, but the previous owner has gone too far with the Humbrol for my tastes .  :-(

Cheers, Mark

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Rev. Parley, who was a really influential outdoor railway modeller, active from c1900 to, I think, the early 1950s.

There's quite a lot about the Revd. Parley and his locos in Jack Ray's memoir "A Lifetime in 0 Gauge".

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've got one Parley loco, and it is unblemished by touch ups or partial repainting. It's the sort of thing that should be in a national model railway museum, if we had such a thing, and I treat it with suitable respect. It's not like it's some naff bit of Hornby where I could go out and buy another one tomorrow on the internet if I it up.

Mark

WP_20140823_001.jpg

Edited by Mark Carne
Missing word!
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see the photos from NAROGG ...the Parley loco is for sale on behalf of Alan Cliff from me . The provisos are that it must go to someone who understands what it is and will cherish it ..not put it on eBay or in the next Auction . The other thing is that the original clockwork ...Marklin ..mech is long gone and it currently has a full length chassis very much in the modern scale style unfortunately , although still 3 rail with a can motor ,Fitting with a contemporary ..1919,Ive been told ..Marklin electric mech might be an interesting project . not sure it has much of a repaint though .    Bruce

• Informative/Useful 1

Ages since we had a photo of the layout that this thread is sometimes about, so, here is a feast of biscuit tin carriages.

1901618C-E378-4395-AB52-8AE9A00FC042.jpeg.f5e3286794b397509a42f3ca206fbc86.jpeg

This one is an oblique reference to Lionel, who have a long history of submarines on flat cars, and it proves a couple of things: that Hornby trains weren’t the only things to come from Liverpool; and, it is very unwise to allow me to go into toy shops.

46096453-9FFC-48EA-ACEA-F95FC520C9E1.jpeg.79d93116271c23e7f5401bb9b05a8f77.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

At one time I was travelling regularly betweeen Reading and Paddington the trip back was often a DMU. If you got a front seat and were lucky in that the driver hadn't pulled the blind down you had a great view down the track. Every AWS ramp was clearly visible and you could hear any warning. As line occupancy was quite high you could often be following on the heels of another train and the klaxon would sound every time and you would see the driver cancelling.

Don

• Informative/Useful 2